• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

FluxWaveZ

Characters best suited for beginners, I would say, are Yu, Labrys and Akihiko. Maybe even Teddie because of his auto-combo.

Though, maybe it's because I have a fair amount of experience with fighting games (although this was my first serious one), but I feel that the concept of trying out characters that are considered best suited for beginners instead of just deciding to play the character you want to does more harm than good.

Gotta practice that Dash Spring B corner combo man :(

On my defense, I had literally not played another human being online with an acceptable but still lagging connection for months. My mind kept saying to do it but my hands did otherwise. Also, didn't really bother trying to glide because of the same thing >.> And I had been practicing going into it from a blockstring before the tourney D:

I mean, the match inmediately before it was this one, which wasn't exactly encouraging to try much...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLpIloO4ERI

And that's edited to not show the games we cancelled because of excessive lag D:

Geneijin

On my defense, I had literally not played another human being online with an acceptable but still lagging connection for months. My mind kept saying to do it but my hands did otherwise. Also, didn't really bother trying to glide because of the same thing >.> And I had been practicing going into it from a blockstring before the tourney D:

I mean, the match inmediately before it was this one, which wasn't exactly encouraging to try much...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLpIloO4ERI

And that's edited to not show the games we cancelled because of excessive lag D:
I know that feeling so much...

How badly were you lagging during the Aegis matches then?

It was a decent connection actually, but since it was semis I didn't want to risk it. The Akihiko one however...I believe it's one of those times you can feel the lag through your monitor.

Geneijin

Ah, I see because if the connection was decent, you should have at least tried. Some 2A starter combos are perfect for a glide reset. I'm surprised how little you use 5A. I know why with 2A's hitbox, but I suppose that's preference?

And yes, that lag in your Akihiko matches... the bane of online play.

Force of habit more than anything really.

Anyways, since we're discussing Yosuke already, one of my gimmicks is doing a TK Moonsault after a knockdown. Do you think it's something I should force myself to stop doing or it's fine to keep doing it every once in a while to try catching them off guard?

Geneijin

I would use it super sparingly as most crossups in P4A can get easily blown up by DPs as a twitch response.

Edit: Speaking of which, I've been practicing that 5AA reset lately. I got exposed by it in a Yosuke mirror, and it's pretty damaging. 5AA > jump cancel > air turn > backdash > j.B into 5A > 5C > 2C > 236B. CH crouching combo makes it possible to do 5B in the string to better hit confirm. It's just too bad I have such bad habits :\

It's not like I haven't done it before but only as blockstrings.

Sophia

PersonaGAF has a lobby going, if anyone is interested. Four spots filled. Four spots left, message Marrshu if you want in. We'll probably go until Midnight Eastern.

We're also on steam chat talking too.

FluxWaveZ

Everyone here's going to hop over to BBCP when it comes out right?

Maybe. The big appeal for this game for me was that it was a Persona fighting game. I decided to make it the first fighting game I played seriously because of that. BB plays similarly and I bought CSEX because of P4A, but I'm not sure if I'll want to put in the effort for a game where the characters and story are not as compelling to me.

Well, even with we play different games there's always P4:A to come back to.

Since BBCP is the only fighting game on my radar at the the moment I might take a look at +R and DR to see if I can enjoy them.

Characters best suited for beginners, I would say, are Yu, Labrys and Akihiko. Maybe even Teddie because of his auto-combo.

Though, maybe it's because I have a fair amount of experience with fighting games (although this was my first serious one), but I feel that the concept of trying out characters that are considered best suited for beginners instead of just deciding to play the character you want to does more harm than good.

Labrys, you don't even have to turn around in the air to hit people when you dash over them.

Thank you for your advices. I know that but i play casually. And by casual, i mean very casual:) So i am not going to spend more than a few hours on this game. Maybe a dozen or so. So i want to be able to get into the game as quickly as i can. It plays very much like Blazblue yet i couldn't get into it.

Smilax

I recently just bought the game, I find the fighting portion of the game fun, then I started the story mode. Am I expecting a lot of reading?Does it get good story-wise?

Sophia

I recently just bought the game, I find the fighting portion of the game fun, then I started the story mode. Am I expecting a lot of reading?Does it get good story-wise?

Lots of reading. P4 story modes actually kinda suck, but the awesome P3 story modes and Labrys make up for it.

tumblr_lz3gd4LugV1r6i3cdo1_500.jpg

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Play Labrys, the P3 characters, Elizabeth, and Yu's story modes. The rest are just filler.

Busaiku

It's something like...
Aigis > Teddie > Mitsuru > Chie > Yu > Naoto > Akihiko > Yosuke > Labrys > Yukiko > Shadow Labrys > Elizabeth > Kanji

I actually think Teddie can be on top, but most people don't play him well enough.

FluxWaveZ

It's something like...
Aigis > Teddie > Mitsuru > Chie > Yu > Naoto > Akihiko > Yosuke > Labrys > Yukiko > Shadow Labrys > Elizabeth > Kanji

I actually think Teddie can be on top, but most people don't play him well enough.

I think this is kinda accurate, but Naoto is WAY too high. Pro players commonly say she's got practically nothing if not for her SMP Loop.

I prefer to put them in tiers so as to not say some individual characters are better than others, so S tier would be: Aigis, Teddie and Mitsuru. A tier would be Chie and Yu. The rest would be B tier.

Sophia

It's something like...

Think you got Naoto ranked too high and Kanji ranked too low, but it's a pretty close to accurate tier list.

I would say

Aigis is number 1 still.

S: Aigis, Mitsuru
A+: Teddie
A: Chie/Yu, Akihiko/Naoto/Yosuke.
B: The rest with Kanji being last and Lab being 2nd last.

Teddie just fights a lot of the top tier characters really well. He has options against chie/yu's derpy oki, and goes pretty even with mitsuru last I heard.

I want to say Yu is better than Chie overall due to his kit. Chie against some matchup is basically "go to awakening, use meteor to go in then maul". The fact that you can do it 2-3 times makes her really dominant against characters that effectively keep her out majority of the match.

Yu always has the option to slide into OMC, raging lion OMC or EX raging lion which makes him extremely dangerous. Though he does have a weaker oki then Chie.

Kanji just has a horrible neutral game. He literally has to just take risk non stop unlike most grapplers in other fighting games.

FluxWaveZ

Kanji just has a horrible neutral game. He literally has to just take risk non stop unlike most grapplers in other fighting games.

Yes, but his oki is one of the most powerful in the game in terms of damage output. When he actually gets in, you go down and he's standing over you, you better guess right or else you will suffer. Everyone has their faults.

Except for Mitsuru (and maybe Yu and Teddie).

Yes, but his oki is one of the most powerful in the game in terms of damage output. When he actually gets in, you go down and he's standing over you, you better guess right or else you will suffer. Everyone has their faults.

Except for Mitsuru (and maybe Yu and Teddie).

Well kanji should have the most powerful damage if he guesses right in his oki, he is a grappler.

The problem is that he can never get in that range against majority of the cast. Pretty much everybody has a way to get away from him and put him at disadvantage.

I think Mitsuru main weakness is lack of a scary low. Her lows aren't super scary but then she has an instant overhead soooooo yeah.

I wished arc sys would update p4a and change a bit. Change the oki game of chie/yu. Change the priority of mitsuru's attacks and the hitbox/animation of her dp. Change aigis high/low (that is a true block string that you can't dp mash).

I would like it if they gave yukiko the ability to keep a portion of her fire levels. I'm not dumb enough to ask for her to keep it all since it would be super broken.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I popped this on the PS3 tonight and boy, it feels so...yanky. After playing a lot of GGXXACP and VSav the pace is not as fluid as I remember. :S

It may also have to do with the fact that I suck.

Celegus

I picked this game up last week pretty much only expecting to play through the story modes because I love anything Persona 4 related, but I'm actually starting to get pretty into the game itself. The only fighting game I've ever liked is Smash Bros, so for a 2D fighting game to actually appeal to me, is nothing short of amazing. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the characters, but it also seems much easier to pick up than most other fighters, or at least easy to give you the sense that you know what you're doing because everything is so flashy.

I've mostly played Yu so far, but I've won 12 of my first 15 online matches with him. Think I'm gonna try Naoto next, she's also a lot of fun.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
GGs Onemic! It's nice coming back to this game every now and then, but boy am I ass on it.

Onemic

GGs Onemic! It's nice coming back to this game every now and then, but boy am I ass on it.

ggs man

I'm beyond rusty at this game. I kept trying to do SF4 Yun combos, and SF grabs with A+B instead of C + D, resulting in random ass slides all over the place.

You just gotta learn Chie's universal combo and a basic pressure string. Then just keep practicing that until it becomes second nature and move on to the more advanced stuff. Especially since I play Mitsu, you should always try and be pressuring me. Once Chie gives that up, the game is in Mitsu's hands.

Top Bottom