• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Astarte

If anyone needs a fellow scrub to bash on...or a scrub in general feel free to challenge me :V
There's a catch; there's a 50-50 on whether or not we can connect due to my NAT type 3 internet.

FluxWaveZ

Offense is already ridiculously strong in this game. Burst-safe, DP-safe offense. The fact that we're talking about nerfing a defensive option is shocking to me.

Actually, yeah, why are we talking about nerfing DPs? Particularly the DP motion? There's nothing wrong with it; it being a simple 2-button press is a good thing, if anything.

Not a great idea, easy example; many characters rely on reaction B+D to counter Minazuki's teleport, now they have to guess which way to hold the joystick.

Full screen 50/50

Although characters do have tighter more difficult options like 2B and auto correcting attacks that would avoid guessing a left/right directional input.

Rhapsody

Banned
Not a great idea, easy example; many characters rely on reaction B+D to counter Minazuki's teleport, now they have to guess which way to hold the joystick.

Offense is already ridiculously strong in this game. Burst-safe, DP-safe offense. The fact that we're talking about nerfing a defensive option is shocking to me.
I don't see why guessing would be necessarily a bad thing. That and B+D isn't the only way to counter that. You have your options of 2B, roll, possibly backdash. I sort of feel like that move should've been -1 or 0 to begin with
Actually, yeah, why are we talking about nerfing DPs? Particularly the DP motion? There's nothing wrong with it; it being a simple 2-button press is a good thing, if anything.

I just don't think it's exactly necessary, that's just me. As it is, I just IB while getting my fingers ready on B+C+D if I'm not doing that other option select. Oh well, the game is what it is, and I've already accepted how the series is as a whole.

Edit: Just to clarify, the furious action input does fit the game. The game is meant to ease new players, and it's there to also help combat the amount of offensive pressure the game has, so I'm fine how it is, and it doesn't need to be changed. It's not for me, something like UNIB's defensive options is something I like more.

Nyoro SF

I would counter that the B+D input does more than just "fit in a crazy and bullshit game" though. For how incredibly fast and invisible some mixups are in this game it is almost required for a DP to be two buttons. Hell, I don't even know if "required" is the right word, almost like "the motion or lack thereof doesn't even matter" given how strong offense is.

EDIT: WHOOPS you changed your post while I was typing. Dammit Rhapsody!

Full screen 50/50

Although characters do have tighter more difficult options like 2B and auto correcting attacks that would avoid guessing a left/right directional input.

Yeah, I neglected 2B in my explanation. Some characters have bad 2Bs though. Also I find it funny that Minazuki actually has a LOT of trouble countering his own teleport with 2B.

Rolling is a good answer too. Rolling overall is strong in this game and it's two buttons, lol.

Rolls in my opinion are not a good answer to a teleport since it will put you closer to Minazuki and might not cross him up if the roll is short enough. New players holding back against a cross up teleport is also great as they close the distance for you making it easier to combo and removing the need for micro dashing.

Yeah, I neglected 2B in my explanation. Some characters have bad 2Bs though. Also I find it funny that Minazuki actually has a LOT of trouble countering his own teleport with 2B.
You don't want to do it too early lol. The timing is obviously harder than a DP but its not that hard. Netplay obviously makes things a bit more difficult.

Edit: As for rolling through the teleport you either have to do it really early so you can beat the start up of 5A or do it later and have a reversal ready or hold back and end up in a block string. 2B is the better option on reaction it looks like to me oh and since its air unblockable it will also beat ex teleport DP bait. Of Course this was without microdashing 5A, so crossing up a microdash might make roll more useful.

FluxWaveZ

I just don't think it's exactly necessary, that's just me. As it is, I just IB while getting my fingers ready on B+C+D if I'm not doing that other option select. Oh well, the game is what it is, and I've already accepted how the series is as a whole.

Edit: Just to clarify, the furious action input does fit the game. The game is meant to ease new players, and it's there to also help combat the amount of offensive pressure the game has, so I'm fine how it is, and it doesn't need to be changed. It's not for me, something like UNIB's defensive options is something I like more.

I'm just for motions being simpler, not more complicated. Of the Divekick mentality, I think it's best when user error regarding inputs is not that much of a factor in a game, which leaves more room to actually think about when the best time to make use of a tool is, and be able to always perform it flawlessly without being frustrated because one got the motion down wrong when the plan they had come up with would have worked if it weren't for the motion.

I think it's part of why Smash is so popular. It's a very different fighting game compared to the typical 2D fighter, but universal and simple inputs makes it easier to do what you want to do, when you want to. That's why I don't think B+D is a bad thing for DPs, and why I think it's only a bad thing if one (or one's going against an opponent who) can't defend against them, which is then not about the motions at all but about predicting an opponent's movement.

Uraizen

Banned

Where I come from a reversal and/or a DP is a luxury, not a right.
Just wanted to say that, ignore me.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm just for motions being simpler, not more complicated. Of the Divekick mentality, I think it's best when user error regarding inputs is not that much of a factor in a game, which leaves more room to actually think about when the best time to make use of a tool is, and be able to always perform it flawlessly without being frustrated because one got the motion down wrong when the plan they had come up with would have worked if it weren't for the motion.

I think it's part of why Smash is so popular. It's a very different fighting game compared to the typical 2D fighter, but universal and simple inputs makes it easier to do what you want to do, when you want to. That's why I don't think B+D is a bad thing for DPs, and why I think it's only a bad thing if one (or one's going against an opponent who) can't defend against them, which is then not about the motions at all but about predicting an opponent's movement.
Yeah, definitely, especially on that latter for smash. It's interesting since it's all about balance on easy inputs (so people do actions they want instead of struggle with inputs) or balancing a move on having a slightly more complex input (360s etc).
If anything, certain characters like Labrys & Liz need boosts to their DPs.
I have no idea why they decided to leave those as they are. Should've at least made Liz like Margarets, but you can hold it to make it like her old DP or something.

In other news, been working on Aigis even more now. I tried using Shadow, but regular is just so much more fun. Like the first game, I'm still pretty awful starting offense or playing neutral, but I like Aigis as a character a lot, so I want to make it work.

PK Gaming

Arcys* seems to have taken a unique approach to balancing Labrys. That is, nerfing an already underpowered character.

It's um... working?

Hey man, I'll ride the Labrys train until the wheels fall off. Of course, I dabble with other characters to keep from going insane. That DP is atrocious though. Nothing makes me want to go back to Blazblue more than my DP taking so long to come out that my opponent can DP themselves on reaction and punish it. Hell, some characters can jump cancel their attacks on reaction and punish me from behind.

FluxWaveZ

Atlus seems to have taken a unique approach with Labrys. Nerfing an already underpowered character.

It's um... working?

The game balancing is on ASW, according to the interviews they've had. Wonder if some outliers like Liz and Labrys could see revisions once the arcade version is updated.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hey man, I'll ride the Labrys train until the wheels fall off. Of course, I dabble with other characters to keep from going insane. That DP is atrocious though. Nothing makes me want to go back to Blazblue more than my DP taking so long to come out that my opponent can DP themselves on reaction and punish it. Hell, some characters can jump cancel their attacks on reaction and punish me from behind.

I would've, but I actually liked the first game's Labrys more. So I didn't like the new changes aside from a few things.
Being able to hold 22x Tsurugi (?) was really fun. And I liked that j.A had a cross up hitbox. There was no reason to remove that :/

I would've, but I actually liked the first game's Labrys more. So I didn't like the new changes aside from a few things.
Being able to hold 22x Tsurugi (?) was really fun. And I liked that j.A had a cross up hitbox. There was no reason to remove that :/

Yeah I preferred vanilla P4A and I think Labrys is the main reason. I miss her 5AA being -1 and being able to go into red axe super out of 214A. I keep doing that on instinct and then blowing all my axe and getting fatal'd for it.

FluxWaveZ

I considered going back to Shadow Labrys—or at least taking some time to learn her P4AU self a bit—but she has 8k health, so screw that.

Shouta

All of the console only chars could use some changes too either nerfs or buffs. Ken has some holes in his gameplay that need to be addressed, for example.

PK Gaming

The game balancing is on ASW, according to the interviews they've had. Wonder if some outliers like Liz and Labrys could see revisions once the arcade version is updated.

Err, yeah that was a flub on my part.

I just think it's incredibly strange that a character like Yu managed received more buffs and less nerfs than a character like Labrys. And it's not just Yu; for better or for worse, it's pretty clear that they simply tried harder when it came to re-examining other characters in general (such as Mitsuru, Yosuke, Akihiko and Kanji.) Labrys's changes feel half-assed, disingenuous and downright cruel by comparison (she even got frame data nerfs!!). Her existence as a fighting game character is just baffling and irritating to me.

I can somewhat sympathize with how Liz ended up (she's inherently a difficult character to balance) but there's no reason why Labrys still sucks. There wasn't even a proper attempt at making her better in P4AU.

I considered going back to Shadow Labrys—or at least taking some time to learn her P4AU self a bit—but she has 8k health, so screw that.

I'm all about that 9.5k health life. A large part of the reason why i'm putting work into learning how to play Margaret is due to her solid health.

All of the console only chars could use some changes too either nerfs or buffs. Ken has some holes in his gameplay that need to be addressed, for example.
they should make it so 5BB > 2B for marie links without delaying the second B. One of the most annoying chains ive ever had to deal with, and just fucked in net play

hao chi

I think it should be 6B+D just so you can't mash it as an option select while being pressured. Yeah, baited DP's will get you blown up in this game, so they're always risky, but I still think you should have to fully commit to your DP, and 6B+D would achieve that while keeping the input simple.

Anne

Do you guys know since DP is 2 buttons you can actually defensively OS based around blockstun and overlapping inputs? :v

It's also not really an issue considering how a lot of things in the game are designed orevolved around DP not requiring a motion.

Mdesilva

Do you guys know since DP is 2 buttons you can actually defensively OS based around blockstun and overlapping inputs? :v

It's also not really an issue considering how a lot of things in the game are designed orevolved around DP not requiring a motion.
Isn't that the DP/Throw OS or something?

Mdesilva

Anyone up for games later? Sorry for double posting (but this is unrelated to the last post, and this thread could use a bump, too).

Nyoro SF

Mitsuru will forever be my bane in this game. Block for days, look wildly for throw techs, eventually get crushed by instant overheads.

delete_mitsuru

so, does anyone here have some photoshop skills and would be willing to help me out?

Basically instead of playing persona I've been busy building this:
efDazbY.jpg

And now that I'm almost done I need a marquee. I tossed the logos for blazblue, persona, and guilty going across but I can seem to come up with a background that looks like anything other than shit.

So if anyone is bored and willing to help me out, toss me a PM

84X

Banned
Unrelated tangent but earlier today (during ranked match) I was told I was playing Yu wrong after I beat a Margaret (with an almost perfect record) by repeatedly tossing out zios as they sat across the screen, before trying for a mixup. I wasn't trying to spam, I just wanted to see if I could get them to budge, but apparently that was wrong of me...

Dude apologized later but it was just such a weird thing to bite my head off about, but maybe I'm lucky that that was my first unpleasant online experience in ultimax.

There's a random pointless story for you all, I wouldn't have brought it up but it felt so bizarre to me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Rhapsody

Banned
Shadow characters have actual bursts now? Either that, or it's just a visual indicator for something else?

Anyway, hoping for some reasonable balance adjustments.
Unrelated tangent but earlier today (during ranked match) I was told I was playing Yu wrong after I beat a Margaret (with an almost perfect record) by repeatedly tossing out zios as they sat across the screen, before trying for a mixup. I wasn't trying to spam, I just wanted to see if I could get them to budge, but apparently that was wrong of me...

Dude apologized later but it was just such a weird thing to bite my head off about, but maybe I'm lucky that that was my first unpleasant online experience in ultimax.

There's a random pointless story for you all, I wouldn't have brought it up but it felt so bizarre to me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There are people like that around the net. Don't let it ruin the experience. Just remember if they can't get around whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.

FluxWaveZ

Was this close to disconnecting from an opponent when I was about to lose my promotion match to Grand Master. Moral fortitude got in the way, heh. One can only get there by winning against opponents ranked Master and above, so it's probably the last chance I'll get since, outside of Japanese players, I've gone against a grand total of two others at that rank.

Shouldn't be focusing on that so much.

Top Bottom