• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax |OT| It's SHO time!

Uraizen

Banned
I seriously cannot fight Adachi. Holy crap this guy is annoying. I need to go into training mode and test this guy out.

He's like perfectly designed for players that play like complete scumbags. That stupid gunshot on block! The safe jumps!

It's the bullshit that makes this game fun.

I just had someone, disappear of the cab after I beat them. I am not sure how to feel about this.

Especially since I am playing like all kinds of shit today and feel like I should just give up. I mean I was definitely planning to if I lost, and I think I will anyway because I lost most of the motivation I had to play.

Nyoro SF

GGs Flux. You're just too strong... I got flustered by about the 5th game.

Also I learned Minazuki's safe jump doesn't mean jack squat if people just roll on wakeup...

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Nyoro SF. Man, Minazuki is still up there as one of the most annoying characters to face. Maybe I should have actually bursted sometimes against him, heh.

Also I learned Minazuki's safe jump doesn't mean jack squat if people just roll on wakeup...

I was rolling way too much during that set, not sure if it's 'cause I'm tired or what. Minazuki's 5A repeatedly counter-hit me doing that, yet I never learned. I'm usually better at adapting.

Rhapsody

Banned
GGs Flux. You're just too strong... I got flustered by about the 5th game.

Safe jumps should still work if timed perfectly. Rolls don't have strike invul until frame 3.
GGs, Nyoro SF. Man, Minazuki is still up there as one of the most annoying characters to face. Maybe I should have actually bursted sometimes against him, heh.

I was rolling way too much during that set, not sure if it's 'cause I'm tired or what. Minazuki's 5A repeatedly counter-hit me doing that, yet I never learned. I'm usually better at adapting.

Yeah, that 5A catches rolls too well since you can cancel on whiff or something. I just hate dealing with his pressure though and do it anyway, haha.

Nyoro SF

Nah the rolls were smart. I'm really amazed that you can play so well. I always reject matches 1-bar and lower, but if you can play through that maybe I should re-evaluate.

Also your knowledge of the game is very amazing too.

I'll admit that lag hurt a little, but it's not much to complain about if you never drop your combos. lol

Safe jumps should still work if timed perfectly. Rolls don't have strike invul until frame 3.

Perhaps because he was in the corner. Minazuki goes pretty high and far for his safe jump.

I dropped SO MANY combos, it wouldn't surprise me if I fucked up the safe jumps too.

FluxWaveZ

Nah the rolls were smart. I'm really amazed that you can play so well. I always reject matches 1-bar and lower, but if you can play through that maybe I should re-evaluate.

Ha, I'm actually pretty dissatisfied with my performance there... I was doing too many dumb things and at the end of matches, I ended up facepalming more than I did feeling satisfied. Hate that feeling.

But yeah, connection was fine. I'm more used to netplay than anything, so I don't think I can even tell when there are the most minor of hitches going on.

Also, not that it'd appear that way because of the way I was playing back there, but I feel like a lot of your movement is too predictable. You never used Minazuki's command grab (yet I still constantly jumped during wake-up for whatever reason), your Burst patterns were too predictable since I could tell you were doing that either at the start of the round when I landed a solid hit or an early CH (though I only baited them, like, twice with Shadow Rise), and I felt that your oki was limited to 5A (though I suppose that's not too terrible with Minazuki, especially if you catch the opponent rolling all the time instead of blocking).

Nyoro SF

Ha, I'm actually pretty dissatisfied with my performance there... I was doing too many dumb things and at the end of matches, I ended up facepalming more than I did feeling satisfied. Hate that feeling.

But yeah, connection was fine. I'm more used to netplay than anything, so I don't think I can even tell when there are the most minor of hitches going on.

Also, not that it'd appear that way because of the way I was playing back there, but I feel like a lot of your movement is too predictable. You never used Minazuki's command grab (yet I still constantly jumped during wake-up for whatever reason), your Burst patterns were too predictable since I could tell you were doing that either at the start of the round when I landed a solid hit or an early CH (though I only baited them, like, twice with Shadow Rise), and I felt that your oki was limited to 5A (though I suppose that's not too terrible with Minazuki).

5A blows up jumps on wakeup. I couldn't really get anything started. Probably got too scared of Adachi's reversal.

And yeah my bursts were very predictable. I totally lost my nerves because I couldn't tell when the pressure was really coming. I think the moment I lost my nerves was when I couldn't block any of the crossups. It was just too hard for me to see, so I started panic bursting to get out of oki early.

I try so many things on soft knockdowns but I just remember you rolling out of most of them, but then when I went for the regular throw you jumped. It was extraordinarily painful.

Yeah its not bad but there are still some weird moments of slow down, so sorry about that.

I can also switch characters if this is too annoying, but I don't know how to play anyone else lol. I'd try Kanji though, so that might be worse.

Edit: again thanks for the games! Apologies for anything that might caused you trouble or was annoying.

Mdesilva

Yeah, GGs Lostconfused! If you couldn't tell, I don't know this matchup very well, but I was trying to adapt to some things like your teleports and use of Wings of Purgatory, to some degree (by the way, that time you used it three times in a row, lol, idk if I could have punished with anything good). My pressure is kinda weak, which was one of the main problems I had, but at least I stopped getting hit by teleport stuff as much after I realized I shouldn't be trying to punish like I was. Your Minazuki is solid, but I would try to be a bit less predictable with the teleports- you used it after every knife you threw, for on. But yeah, fun set!

...I lost to some really dumb stuff >_>

Yep I am pretty easy to break under pressure, your games went better after you started to bully me more.

That super spam is also rather unsafe, you should be able to punish its recovery without too much trouble.

Edit: And yeah I know about the knife thing, another minazuki player blew me up like three or four times over it. I just need to learn to adapt when things stop working.

So I just got my copy due to some credit card stuff causing a delay with vgp. Anything I should know going in? Should I get the P4A DLC? Never played it.

So I just got my copy due to some credit card stuff causing a delay with vgp. Anything I should know going in? Should I get the P4A DLC? Never played it.

I thought it was worth it just to waste time. Most of it is really just what ifs that seem really cool, but as noncanon fluff. Its heavily implied that Labrys' story is the best throughout all of them, but you have to grind through a significant number of the cast before you can do hers. The ending of Episode P4 spoils her story, so if the story matters to you a lot its a maybe.

Nyoro SF

Notes for today: always chain 2B to 5C as anti-air. Shaking the bad habit of jump canceling the 2B.

I still refuse to play 1-bar or lower connections though. I still don't like it, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I play offline every week and I really don't want to depart too far from that experience.

Yeah 2B - > 5C then rekka is probably the go to anti air. I keep doing 2B into sweep but that's really unreliable due to timing and spacing issues. I should really stop.

As someone that loves and uses Adachi, I have to say, his unblockable setups are an absolute joke. He can easily get 80% damage from using this gimmick. Mandala doesnt have to hit anyone to power up izanagi, and heat riser can be confirmed off almost anything. I have to ask, "What were they thinking when balancing this?

Nyoro SF

As someone that loves and uses Adachi, I have to say, his unblockable setups are an absolute joke. He can easily get 80% damage from using this gimmick. Mandala doesnt have to hit anyone to power up izanagi, and heat riser can be confirmed off almost anything. I have to ask, "What were they thinking when balancing this?

Probably the only thing holding Adachi back from dominating with that is the meter investment involved and setting people up with it properly afterwards.

I feel like Minazuki does beat Adachi, I just can't demonstrate it properly. Tonight is no online play, I'm just going to training mode and study his attacks more. There are like 3 Adachi players at Rebel Up so I can't afford to get bopped every time I face one.

I have to ask, "What were they thinking when balancing this?
But you can say the same thing for any number of characters. I mean those 7k/8k shadow burst combos are wat?

Why is Minazuki so easy to play and does so much damage? I don't even deserve that 25% win rate, it should be less than 10% if I was playing anyone other than Minazuki. That character is damn easy.

Rhapsody

Banned
Probably the only thing holding Adachi back from dominating with that is the meter investment involved and setting people up with it properly afterwards.

I feel like Minazuki does beat Adachi, I just can't demonstrate it properly. Tonight is no online play, I'm just going to training mode and study his attacks more. There are like 3 Adachi players at Rebel Up so I can't afford to get bopped every time I face one.

I haven't been there in awhile, but none of those Adachis actually impressed as much as Flux's.

I don't think you'd have to worry too much from Rebel Up Adachis.

My Adachi isn't as good as Flux's, but I feel like it's better than theirs. You can always play me online since our connection should be good.
Honestly though, sets with Flux made most Adachi's not so scary lol

FluxWaveZ

I will say that I tend to shake my head a lot of the time when I see Adachi players going at it. I think I'm reckless, but then I see the craziest shit going on with other Adachis and I have to wonder just what the hell they're doing. Adachi was one of the hardest characters for me to adapt to going into the game due to his unconvential fighting style, though he was still the character among the newer additions that felt the most comfortable to me.

Still, sometimes I'll face Adachis like OmniSScythe, who is one of the few people I've faced I genuinely struggle against, or watch people like Pet and then realize there's a bunch of stuff I'm not doing with him that I should be.

Nyoro SF

I haven't been there in awhile, but none of those Adachis actually impressed as much as Flux's.

I don't think you'd have to worry too much from Rebel Up Adachis.

My Adachi isn't as good as Flux's, but I feel like it's better than theirs. You can always play me online since our connection should be good.
Honestly though, sets with Flux made most Adachi's not so scary lol

Indeed. After fighting a strong player of -insert character- you usually find that the online hordes of said character are not that big of a deal to fight.

That being said I learned a lot from tonight's online practice session. Here's hoping I get to apply it.

I will say that I tend to shake my head a lot of the time when I see Adachi players going at it. I think I'm reckless, but then I see the craziest shit going on with other Adachis and I have to wonder just what the hell they're doing. Adachi was one of the hardest characters for me to adapt to going into the game due to his unconvential fighting style, though he was still the character among the newer additions that felt the most comfortable to me.

Still, sometimes I'll face Adachis like OmniSScythe, who is one of the few people I've faced I genuinely struggle against, or watch people like Pet and then realize there's a bunch of stuff I'm not doing with him that I should be.

If there's one big difference is that all the other Adachis rely on his BD waaaaay too much. I'm not sure why they feel such pressure to use it, even when I haven't even tried a mixup yet.

vg260

Can someone please explain the difference between narrator, round call, and navigator voices?
I'm trying to make sense of the unlockables and DLC. It has never been clear to me which voices these refer to.

Can someone please explain the difference between narrator, round call, and navigator voices?
I'm trying to make sense of the unlockables and DLC. It has never been clear to me which voices these refer to.

Round call is the character who... well, calls rounds: Round 1, 2, 3; Rise Wins! Perfect! etc.

Navigator is your personal character that gives commentary on fights with respect to you. Default is Rise I believe, at least for the P4 characters. They'll say stuff like "You won this one but I think they may have your number" and other generally meaningless commentary. You can see they're portrait and dialogue next to your health bar during fights.

Not sure what Narrator is, but I would guess it has something to do with the story mode which I haven't played.

vg260

Round call is the character who... well, calls rounds: Round 1, 2, 3; Rise Wins! Perfect! etc.

Navigator is your personal character that gives commentary on fights with respect to you. Default is Rise I believe, at least for the P4 characters. They'll say stuff like "You won this one but I think they may have your number" and other generally meaningless commentary. You can see they're portrait and dialogue next to your health bar during fights.

Not sure what Narrator is, but I would guess it has something to do with the story mode which I haven't played.

Ok, cool. Thanks. Dunno where I saw narrator listed, so no idea there. I might be confused on that one.

Nyoro SF

I wish Minazuki's counter super was not limited to his Awakening. It has a lot of interesting uses, plus it looks cool post-effect with the blackout.

FluxWaveZ

Goddamn, the AI for an auto-mode Golden Arena Mode character sucks ass. Was trying to level up my level 58 Adachi without having to put thought into it, but the AI is losing against 3X characters. Loser. Wish this thing operated like SSB4 Amiibos and learned as it played.

Edit: Watching auto-mode AI is the funniest thing. Now I wish there were Drivatars for our P4AU characters and we could pit them against each other online while we watched and bet on them with P$.

Edit 2: I don't get it. The AI will auto-combo... and then whiff the super that it leads into because it delayed it for some reason? It's so strange. Cancels DP into EX command grab super. Why would you do that.

bryt

Hey guys, I need some help with a few Minazuki combos.

For his midscreen OMB combo the part I keep messing up is 214B > 4B > OMB > 2C > 5D. The 2C will whiff maybe 70% of the time for me. What am I doing wrong? Do I have to hit the 2C late or early?

And for his midscreen followup after BD > 236236C > dash 5B. I'll only get the 5B to hit if I get lucky. Any tricks to hitting the 5B?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out after a bunch of training mode.

I really need to learn Narukami. Just mashing buttons against less experienced players, how are there even any, with Minazuki doesn't teach me anything.

So is Adachi considered OP because of rage and fear combined? I thought he was considered good or average-above average, but not top. Was planning to play him if/when I got the game. From what I've seen his problem is that he relies a lot on his persona and meter. His range with some of his normals doesn't seem that great and he can't combo off any low-hitting attacks, unless you use EX gunshot.

For him to use ailment combinations, isn't the main problem that he needs to be in awakening to have access to Magatsu Mandela, then to apply rage(arguably one of the most powerful offensively) he requires an additional 50SP? I'm guessing from the reactions here that it isn't too balanced and more OP than I thought?

Also it might just be me, but I think it's kind of bad how Magatsu Izanagi's cross slash attack can't hit enemies that are using chest high projectiles. He'll get persona broken as he's coming down on Yukari or Yukiko, for example, while Yukari is firing a chest-high arrow or Yukiko is throwing a fan at chest height parallel to the ground (I think). But then, outside of damage at the end of combos, I thought that one of it's main uses would be punishing people who aren't careful (such as spamming projectiles), but I guess not?

FluxWaveZ

So is Adachi considered OP because of rage and fear combined? I thought he was considered good or average-above average, but not top.

He isn't. And he's certainly not considered OP. I don't think any character at this point—outside of maybe Yu and Yosuke—would be anywhere near that.

He isn't. And he's certainly not considered OP. I don't think any character at this point—outside of maybe Yu and Yosuke—would be anywhere near that.

OK. I'm guessing that the rage ailment makes people rage IRL / salty. jk, it's understandable how people can get pissed off in situations where taking a ton of extra damage is unavoidable. I know I would, though I get pissed at a ton of things, like being forced to have to guess in a mixup and if I guess wrong I take a combo/damage.

Uraizen

Banned
Adachi is alright, it's when he's near death and has meter that he's get scary. That's assuming he can get off his mandala super before you kill him. To me it's like the P4U equivalent of Arakune. He needs to work to get to the point where he gets stupid amounts of damage. He's not that threatening until he gets his buff/curse. He doesn't get it all for free.

Then again, I'm not a P4U player, so I could be talking out of my ass.

FluxWaveZ

Adachi is alright, it's when he's near death and has meter that he's get scary. That's assuming he can get off his mandala super before you kill him. To me it's like the P4U equivalent of Arakune. He needs to work to get to the point where he gets stupid amounts of damage. He's not that threatening until he gets his buff/curse. He doesn't get it all for free.

Then again, I'm not a P4U player, so I could be talking out of my ass.

That's the thing. Mandala is an Awakening move, so Adachi will be near death when he even gets the opportunity to pull it off. If Adachi pulls it off, he then has to land a move going into Heat Riser successfully, hoping that the opponent doesn't have a Burst to interrupt it. That's the point where the Adachi style comeback is initiated.

Most of my matches end without me initiating the Magatsu Mandal buff.

Uraizen

Banned
Most of my matches end without me initiating the Magatsu Mandal buff.

I noticed that earlier, chickzama tweeted the stream. Almost no Adachi went for it for some reason. There wasn't much sweep into gun shot oki either in general. My game plan is just to build meter and whatever damage I get before awakening is bonus damage. If a super will kill, then I'll finally use meter. Once I get into awakening, I do whatever the situation calls for to get the mandala buff. Once I get that is when all the dirty shit I've read on DL comes into play.

Seriously, though, where was the gunshot oki most of the time
not referring to you
? Does it suck now or something?

FluxWaveZ

Seriously, though, where was the gunshot oki most of the time
not referring to you
? Does it suck now or something?

I don't know if you watched most of that stream and, not to badmouth team Adachi too badly... but people were doing pretty poorly before I came in. Team Marie was up 7 wins before I came on, and I think there was only one Adachi who got a single win during the event. Then my turn came and I proceeded to defeat every member of Team Marie at least once—including some of their more capable players twice like Sonicfox and one other—without losing.

Basically, it's like I was saying before: people really need to learn how to play as him properly. He's unorthodox, and I think Adachi players aren't doing too well with him for multiple reasons, when they could be doing so much more. Like:

My game plan is just to build meter and whatever damage I get before awakening is bonus damage. If a super will kill, then I'll finally use meter. Once I get into awakening, I do whatever the situation calls for to get the mandala buff. Once I get that is when all the dirty shit I've read on DL comes into play.

I know you don't play seriously, but I really don't approve of a game plan with this mindset. At least, against competent opponents, that'll result in a loss most of the time. If I were to share an equivalent mindset for how I play, I prioritize the Heat Riser buff asap. 10%+ damage and 10%+ defense is fantastic, and I want it as early as possible. It's all standard for the rest, until I enter Awakening and then I will try to 2C > Magatsu Mandala (whether it hits or not) if the game's at neutral, or just try to combo into Magatsu Mandala, but I don't really make it a priority, since I'll expend the meter on a 75 SP Atom Smasher or a command grab super if I have to. Magatsu Mandala is what I treat as a bonus, if anything.

Top Bottom