• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

I bought this today. I've never play any Persona game, but the game has been getting some really good word and I've always been interested in it. Just never had the time. I've been dying for a new RPG and this seemed like the one to finally pick up...

First thing I noticed and want to mention is that the music is absolutely incredible! I've left my Vita sitting here for a little while just listening to the music, it is that good. I'm very excited to really get into this tonight.

I bought this today. I've never play any Persona game, but the game has been getting some really good word and I've always been interested in it. Just never had the time. I've been dying for a new RPG and this seemed like the one to finally pick up...

So I pop it in my Vita and start playing a bit. First thing I want to mention is that the music is absolutely incredible! I've left my Vita sitting here for a little while just listening to the music, it is that good.

I'm excited.

Oh my god... I am so jealous of you :)

To be experiencing this for the first time, ah, what a feeling. Watch out for spoilers, good luck!

Taruranto

Here is an example of how this game can suck... Standard scene in the food court or whatever >>> cut to weirdly written scene where you see Yuki and talk to about how she is wearing a kamino >>> cut to even weirder scene where Yuki is interviewed on tv and the kamino is mentioned again >>> cut to you in your room seeing "someone" on the shadow channel wearing a kamino! But who could it be????

This moron main character can't even make the connection, so i guess tomorrow i'm wading through more dialogue where he and his buddies slowly piece it together. Dora the explorer is better written than this crap.

B-but the writing is so, so good!

Just wait until you get to the "investigation" parts later, shit gets even dumber.

Varna

B-but the writing is so, so good!

Just wait until you get to the "investigation" parts later, shit gets even dumber.

Tag quo.... nah, too easy. :p

I agree though. But it's a trend with the recent SMT games. Devil Summoner 2 was so obnoxious about this too. About half the dialogue is dedicated to obvious shit you figured out way before the characters did.

They should go back to the very sparse dialogue from Nocturne/DDS.
OK, I know this wouldn't be enough for the Persona games... but serious, they are aware of how terrible it is right... right!?

New to P4G - it's really nice since it adds more to do at night and allows for better rank scheduling. And the music, oh my.

They need a better mix of music like that in the next game. There is just way too much jpop.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
About to start this - do I need a guide?

I played a bit of P3 and I felt bad every in game day because like 3 people would want to do things with you and you can only do one thing a day and I felt like I was making the wrong choice all the time. Same issue here or is it not as constricting?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh, you're talking about Apple Head! Holy shit, this is my first time actually doing that Link to completion. I uh... feel bad for that girl.

Anybody here went girlfriend with Ayane? I wonder if Ayane has a similar cutscene that you can trigger in Okina where other girls meet you there and have witty remarks.

Oh that's Apple Head...

Yeah, no, she was too annoying and looked 10.

Bullza2o

I just run away when I see those fuckers. No way I will risk it.

Any tips for void quest boss? I'm sitting at level 40 and I went in... got owned pretty hard.

I just beat it a couple of hours ago. Level 42.

You already know you need to destroy the shell first, then the baby appears. It will use a [magic] resistance move, and the type of that magic is the one he'll attack with (ie wind resistance --> magarula). Keep this in mind.

Mostly I depended heavily on Yukiko's healing/curing moves. Recarm to revive. Against the baby I lower its defense, then use Ose because of his strong physical defense. Basically it's a battle full of healing and reviving.

I also made Yukiko have good evasion armor/skills, so she was always able to stay alive throughout the fight.

Trigger

I played a bit of P3 and I felt bad every in game day because like 3 people would want to do things with you and you can only do one thing a day and I felt like I was making the wrong choice all the time. Same issue here or is it not as constricting?

No. lol, that's a natural feeling. The real meat of the social links system is management and planning; do it naturally and enjoy the story.

Varna

Same issue pretty. Except now you have more S.links and attributes to manage (double the attributes btw)! It's a great game, don't get caught up on doing the "wrong" thing. Just as long as you are making progress in something you aren't really making a mistake. Just try to clear dungeons in as few days as possible.

Oh that's Apple Head...

Yeah, no, she was too annoying and looked 10.

Haha, yeah! And get this shit, when she wears that Mr. Rogers sweater, she looks 80. But honestly, Apple Head has it rough... much better character than the drama girl IMO. I made a sweet photoshop of Apple, I'll post it sometime.

It's not that the writing is bad.

It's that the characters are well-written morons.

Well said.

K.Sabot

P4G is fucking great for people who didn't 100% the original game.

Just focusing on the links I didn't get along with the new links. Knowing the general weaknesses of enemies and bosses helps me bang out the dungeon sections in 1-2 days and lets me focus on the Social aspects.

No, that's not awesome–it's an example of what I hate about P4G. As great as most of it is, a few elements such as this are just so utterly stupid.
How is it stupid? Because he's riding his scooter? Whatever dude, a party member who's not in your party at the moment showing up to help out and lay out a critical hit seems really great to me. Like I can't even think of how this can be considered stupid or an example of bad fanservice.

How many social links are there?

23, but some of them (3, IIRC) are story dependent and rank up as such.

How is it stupid? Because he's riding his scooter? Whatever dude, a party member who's not in your party at the moment showing up to help out and lay out a critical hit seems really great to me. Like I can't even think of how this can be considered stupid or an example of bad fanservice.

It should have been Igor on that bike :p

Roubjon

I'm sure it's been said dozens of times, but this new Chie voice actor is pretty obnoxious. She was already obnoxious in the original, but it was in a more tolerable/realistic way. For some reason, this new Chie feels the need to yell whenever she wants to say anything, and it always sounds so forced. Hopefully she mellows out, but I doubt she ever will.

I think the new Teddie is better than the old one though. He sounds less ridiculous, but is still a lovable oaf.

Just to do my usual sthick of saying I agree with the unpopular opinion har har har. I liked the serious nature of Persona, blah blah blah, random scooters in dungeons is dumb and how did they sneak scooters into dungeons blah blah blah concert scene is lame as hell blah blah blah dont even mention that new hot springs scene.

...In case people sense sarcasm in this post, I am actually bein serious.

jae

Oh, you're talking about Apple Head! Holy shit, this is my first time actually doing that Link to completion. I uh... feel bad for that girl.

Anybody here went girlfriend with Ayane? I wonder if Ayane has a similar cutscene that you can trigger in Okina where other girls meet you there and have witty remarks.

I did. I didn't see a scene in Okina with her though.

Poor girl. She thanks you for letting her love you, basically.

Varna

Is it really so hard to understand? I mean, even acknowledge why some people would have a problem with things like this? This series had three prior games before P3... and even just going from that there is massive shift in tone in P4. Not everyone is going to like it.

I did. I didn't see a scene in Okina with her though.

Poor girl. She thanks you for letting her love you, basically.

Thanks, that's nice. I like the idea of a girl like that hooking up with an alpha like the MC. Yeah and I'm warming up to her (rank 6 atm), I think she's a pretty good character despite making fun of her so much :p

Who are you looking forward to see on a swimsuit?
> Kanji, of course.
That made me looooooooool.

I love how earnest he is in response too! "Thin in the crotch; built for speed."

bahahahahahaha. I was about to throw my vita.

Forest boss has a sliver of health left. I had two characters, chie and MC alive. Teddie and the fourth were getting one-shotted. No more res-items. Boss does a 300dmg attack to party members, kills both chie and MC. I'm livid. Boom, Rise rezzes MC with full health. I use one 100dmg item on boss....dies. Praise the lord.

Ponn

Banned
All these social links are driving me schizo.

i really enjoy the voices option to see what everyone else is doing. Thats a nice online community touch I would like to see implemented in more RPG's. I still have no idea what the TV thing is for.

bWcx6.jpg

Is it really so hard to understand? I mean, even acknowledge why some people would have a problem with things like this? This series had three prior games before P3... and even just going from that there is massive shift in tone in P4. Not everyone is going to like it.
Yes, it is really hard to understand. I don't see how Yosuke showing up on his scooter is out of line with what is already in Persona 4 vanilla. We already have Kanji drop kicking the others to pushing the P4MC out of the way, Yukiko slapping people to recover ailments, Yosuke spinning topsy turvy for critical hits, Chie punting people into far off galaxies, Teddie punning it up with every attack he does, Naoto shooting his gun more times than is clearly possible, etc. Goofy shit like the scooter seem perfectly at home in here.

Persona 4 is more upbeat and goofy compared to the others games. Why is this wrong exactly? The game is serious when it needs to be. If you want the other games, well they're still around.

^don't think so.

You know what I want in this game? Online Persona/Item/Costume/Weapon/Yen/ETC trading. Sure it might be broken, but that would be so cool.

Ponn

Banned
Guys. Should I buy a Vita just for this?

I look at it like this. If no other games came out for Vita I could still carry it around and have it on it at all times

Persona 1-4

FF1 - 9 (maybe 10 someday)

Disgaea 1-3 (maybe 4)

Xenogears, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre

If you don't like RPG's, well not going to do much for you of course but for me it justifies the purchase and keeping of the system for a long time. I doubt there will be another handheld capable of all that for me.

bigkrev

How do I fight the Reaper? I'm up to level 80 now and figure i'm more than safe. Can you even fight him in the first playthru?

Top Bottom