• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Syrinx

I would just like to take a second to point out that I've had this game since last Wednesday, and I've put about 33 hours or so into it already. I seriously don't remember the last time I put this much time into a game in that short a span. I'm in love. What can I say?

Roubjon

I finally got my hands on my copy of the game and starting playing it. I'm 50 minutes in and it's awesome. The last time I played it on PS2, I got to
the giant baby boss in the video game dungeon and couldn't beat him. I basically just stopped after that.
I'm looking forward to playing through the whole thing this time.

Something I'm loving so far is playing it with really nice headphones. The music sounds ridiculously better than how it did coming out of my TV.

I would just like to take a second to point out that I've had this game since last Wednesday, and I've put about 33 hours or so into it already. I seriously don't remember the last time I put this much time into a game in that short a span. I'm in love. What can I say?

as much as i love gravity rush, this game's the reason for owning a vita. bursting with flava! :) ...

Syrinx

as much as i love gravity rush, this game's the reason for owning a vita. bursting with flava! :) ...

This is seriously the closest instance to buying a system just to play one game as I've come. I only say this because I've never actuallly owned a PSP so I wanted to play some of that systems RPGs on this. But all that waits until after P4G.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Every time I open the Persona compendium or analyse an enemy, I lament the fact that Atlus didn't put effort into making the game native resolution. The models look gorgeous.

Varna

I wouldn't mind some of P2's mechanics being in P5. Golden did see the return of dual attacks. I don't want demons back though. I like the shadow theme. It defines Persona in a way and separates it from the main SMT franchise.

They need to bring back the full cast from the Velvet room back. They always had such interesting things to say. Perfect way to add more functionality to the Velvet room too (they could always add weapon fusion, skill card creations, etc).

One big thing I miss from the older Persona games is that sense of continuity. Not just with Persona 1 (though it was absolutely mind blowing at the time to see the OG cast all grown up and skill kicking ass) but with the entirety of the Megaten universe. There were so many references to other games. You even got a chance to fight Demon summoners and other Persona users. I understand that they wanted to appeal to a newer generation, but how does having these references really hurt anyone?

Trigger

The Striptease theme is still my favorite. I could bop to that all day long.

iFURdyQP1fPg1.gif

I don't even know the lyrics.

They need to bring back the full cast from the Velvet room back. They always had such interesting things to say. Perfect way to add more functionality to the Velvet room too (they could always add weapon fusion, skill card creations, etc).

One big thing I miss from the older Persona games is that sense of continuity. Not just with Persona 1 (though it was absolutely mind blowing at the time to see the OG cast all grown up and skill kicking ass) but with the entirety of the Megaten universe. There were so many references to other games. You even got a chance to fight Demon summoners and other Persona users. I understand that they wanted to appeal to a newer generation, but how does having these references really hurt anyone?

The issue with continuity is that it can intimidate audiences and weigh stories down. They'd have to explain how it all ties together if they tried to add anything more than the references we already got. For all we know P5 could see a new change to the formula.

I got hit with a crushed box for Record of Agarest War Zero which I eventually replaced, so I was hesitant to go with them for P4G, but I managed to get it preordered very early when it was $59.99 so I decided to take a chance. It arrived flawless in a cardboard box with those little air cushions so that it couldn't bounce around. Disclaimer though, I live like two cities away from the distribution center so it didn't have very far to go.

Mine was in one of their smallest boxes (A3 I believe is the size) and they had put airbags in it to cushion it. The Solid Gold box itself was in pristine condition.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll probably ask them to replace the packaging them, not too confident that the air bags will do the job, I mean, I'm a continent away after all, so the trip will be rough, hehe.

The Striptease theme is still my favorite. I could bop to that all day long.

iFURdyQP1fPg1.gif

I don't even know the lyrics.

The issue with continuity is that it can intimidate audiences and weigh stories down. They'd have to explain how it all ties together if they tried to add anything more than the references we already got. For all we know P5 could see a new change to the formula.

I would have agreed that Atlus never really keep that big continuity, but then they made P4A.

Sophia

I don't care what elements they bring back from the earlier games, just as long as "Conversation -> Tarot Cards -> Persona" stays dead in the fucking fire that it deserves.

I would have agreed that Atlus never really keep that big continuity, but then they made P4A.

Yeah, Persona 4 Arena was basically one big Arc Welding of continuity. I liked it a lot, even if it is harder for newcomers to get in.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This game has solidified the ShinMegaTen series as my favorite RPG series. I love the combat, designs, mythos and themes it has!

I can not fucking wait for SMTIV and Persona 5 whenever it comes out.

Varna

I still don't see the issue. Nocturne got the same exact treatment as far as reinventing it for a new generation. Completely redone battle system, stripped down negotiation system, completely new setting and game structure. Tons of other changes too. To the outside observer SMT 1/2 would not seem related at all. But throughout the game you find tons of references to previous events and characters all serving as lore for this universe. No one is going to be lost while playing it. For example a completely new player would definitely find it fucked up what happens to Hijiri in the end. But a someone who has been following the series would definitely get a little extra something since they know exactly who he use to be.

Maybe continuity was the wrong word to use. Just references in general. The time line for these games is obviously completely non existent other then the obvious (p1 > p2, smt 1 > smt 2, etc). Even the demi-fiend showing up for some random boss fight would be pretty awesome.

I still don't see the issue. Nocturne got the same exact treatment as far as reinventing it for a new generation. Completely redone battle system, stripped down negotiation system, completely new setting and game structure. Tons of other changes too. To the outside observer SMT 1/2 would not seem related at all. But throughout the game you find tons of references to previous events and characters all serving as lore for this universe. No one is going to be lost while playing it. For example a completely new player would definitely find it fucked up what happens to Hijiri in the end. But a someone who has been following the series would definitely get a little extra something since they know exactly who he use to be.

Maybe continuity was the wrong word to use. Just references in general. The time line for these games is obviously completely non existent other then the obvious (p1 > p2, smt 1 > smt 2, etc). Even the demi-fiend showing up for some random boss fight would be pretty awesome.

There kind of is continuity for the Devil Summoner and Persona games, along with SMT If though

Just rescued
Yukiko
and then went back into TV and did some grinding. Level 20 now. I dunno why I stayed in there so long. I guess I just needed more pokemans. O_O

Joe Molotov

How does the Online component work in this game? Do I need people on my friends list playing it for it work? I'm not sure I have anyone that plays it.

Syrinx

GAF, I love the new theme song. LOVE it. You don't even know. I can't stop watching the stupid intro video.

I have the same problem, but it's more because of Rise's dancing. Though it's beginning to wear off because of those peace sign in front of eyes things she's doing (what's that called?)

"You sense a faint hint of love from Yukiko..."

"Is he the rumored boyfriend, Yukiko?"

"Your face is burning red, Yukiko, I'll let you two be alone, huehuehue."

I resisted and embraced the friendzone like a champ :)

Astral

"You sense a faint hint of love from Yukiko..."

"Is he the rumored boyfriend, Yukiko?"

"Your face is burning red, Yukiko, I'll let you two be alone, huehuehue."

I resisted and embraced the friendzone like a champ :)

You're stronger than me. I can never resist. I have to go for it with every single one of them (except the music one, fuck her). Looks like I'm gonna be breaking some hearts on Valentine's Day.

Trigger

How does the Online component work in this game? Do I need people on my friends list playing it for it work? I'm not sure I have anyone that plays it.

Is this not in the OP? It should be.

When you need HP/SP tap the SOS icon and people can send you aid and vice versa. You don't need people in your friends list as who responds and who you can aid is random.

You're stronger than me. I can never resist. I have to go for it with every single one of them (except the music one, fuck her). Looks like I'm gonna be breaking some hearts on Valentine's Day.

Oh, you're talking about Apple Head! Holy shit, this is my first time actually doing that Link to completion. I uh... feel bad for that girl.

Anybody here went girlfriend with Ayane? I wonder if Ayane has a similar cutscene that you can trigger in Okina where other girls meet you there and have witty remarks.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shadow 5 finally fucking down after a few hours of grinding. Seriously, huge weight off my back.

SOS is amazing when you're on Very Hard. Those little boosts add up.

Edit: Yesss, one of my favourite scenes in this game. Needs Giant Bomb commentary for more funnies.

Shadow 5 finally fucking down after a few hours of grinding. Seriously, huge weight off my back.

SOS is amazing when you're on Very Hard. Those little boosts add up.

Edit: Yesss, one of my favourite scenes in this game. Needs Giant Bomb commentary for more funnies.

I heard a rumor that they will do a P4G ER once Vinny gets the capture software to work. Just a rumor though, couldn't come true, right?

Top Bottom