• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Varna

Are the Persona arcana more balanced this time around? I recall in P3 some max level Persona were much weaker then others.

Think about your real life friends.

How many of them are real friends? What sort of jealousy or resentment or contempt do they have for you? Are they merely your friend because they can get something from you? Will you ever even know?

How many of these friends would instigate not only conversation, but conclusion, not only for their sake, but for the two of you to resolve some ignored issue?

How many of them are real friends? What sort of jealousy or resentment or contempt do they have for you? Are they merely your friend because they can get something from you? Will you ever even know?

How many of these friends would instigate not only conversation, but conclusion, not only for their sake, but for the two of you to resolve some ignored issue?

What is thing you call 'friend'? I've never heard of them

Raxious

really enjoying this game. Playing on normal and about 1,5 hours in on a second save.
Just got the persona for Chie.
and my MC is about lvl 9, is that high enough to continue or should I lvl him some more?

really enjoying this game. Playing on normal and about 1,5 hours in on a second save.
Just got the persona for Chie.
and my MC is about lvl 9, is that high enough to continue or should I lvl him some more?

If you're playing on Normal, the battles that you come across while playing will generally be enough. Try to get END+, LV+, and Magician cards during the shuffle as well. Also, Chie gets an ability called Skull Cracker very soon, Lv11 IIRC, and it is very helpful against low evasion/high power enemies like tanks and knights (in the early game that is, later on YMMV).

I'm enjoying the new events at the summer festival - I didn't think that they would fully voice those either. Nice addition.

Whoa... I don't even... Apple Head is fully voiced in these cutscenes!!

bigkrev

...And I just got the disgusting fan service cutscene I was worried about before this game came out. :/

It's in
February, after clearing Marie's dungeon
. There is nothing of value in the scene if you want to skip it at least, but the scene has no place in a game like this

Squire

Banned

This is what makes the characters in this game so great; they're not based on ideals, they're believable. They take anime and general high school cliches and subvert them completely.

zulux21

so uh.... where do you get a hook so you can go fishing. I see people going fishing on the what did people do bubble all the time, but I haven't a clue where to find the hook o_O;

Dantis

...And I just got the disgusting fan service cutscene I was worried about before this game came out. :/

It's in
February, after clearing Marie's dungeon
. There is nothing of value in the scene if you want to skip it at least, but the scene has no place in a game like this

Yup. It's awful, and very undermining of the otherwise amazing characters.

This is what makes the characters in this game so great; they're not based on ideals, they're believable. They take anime and general high school cliches and subvert them completely.

Agree 100%.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can this be my GOTY? Even if the original was released on 2008?
Hah, that's something I'm struggling with in a year where I've played a lot of stuff that wouldn't make the top 5 but they're decent nonetheless. I don't want to give it to P4 but unless I play/finish a game that blows me away between now and whenever the voting period ends, it might be down to a contest between VLR and P4G.

It would be interesting, though. 999 was my GotY 2010, and I'm considering giving 2012 away to VLR. P4 was my 2008 one and it's up for GotY 2012, lol.

Syrinx

September 4 (or something like that)

So my guy let it slip that he went to festival part 2 with Rise, and Yosuke was shocked! Nobody else though. They just laughed at Yosuke. Kinda unrealistic that I've come this far with Yukiko, and to a lesser extent Chie, and they have no real reaction to that. This seems to be one of the bigger problems with RPGs; as much as they try, they never can really pull off something that resembles real-life reactions. Even if they did, it would probably just take my guy going to them, apologizing, and all would be good. I'm kinda splitting hairs here, but still. It's one of the things I'm interested to see progress in games going forward.

Anyway, I told Yosuke's co-worker ladies to fuck off, and watched Yukiko do the same to those reporters, AND watched Rise do the same to her ex-manager. Also got to Level 5 with Dojima, I assume that case he's speaking of is his wife's death.

I probably should go back into the TV soon.

Dantis

September 4 (or something like that)

So my guy let it slip that he went to festival part 2 with Rise, and Yosuke was shocked! Nobody else though. They just laughed at Yosuke. Kinda unrealistic that I've come this far with Yukiko, and to a lesser extent Chie, and they have no real reaction to that. This seems to be one of the bigger problems with RPGs; as much as they try, they never can really pull off something that resembles real-life reactions. Even if they did, it would probably just take my guy going to them, apologizing, and all would be good. I'm kinda splitting hairs here, but still. It's one of the things I'm interested to see progress in games going forward.

Anyway, I told Yosuke's co-worker ladies to fuck off, and watched Yukiko do the same to those reporters, AND watched Rise do the same to her ex-manager. Also got to Level 5 with Dojima, I assume that case he's speaking of is his wife's death.

I probably should go back into the TV soon.

Yosuke's and Dojima's S Links have really great conclusions.

I love how the S Links develop, and they have that Scrubs-esque reflection to them, as you can see how the character has grown. It's weird that more games don't do it.

Squire

Banned

I love how the S Links develop, and they have that Scrubs-esque reflection to them, as you can see how the character has grown. It's weird that more games don't do it.

You could say it's on the nose/mechanical because of the way the game gives you feedback and explicitly tells you you're developing relationships, but the characterization is just so goddamn good. I really don't think it's too much to ask for the player to suspense their disbelief.

Which S. Links do you recommend prioritizing, Dantis? I've honestly teared up during Yumi's and I'm not done with it yet.

Syrinx

Frankly I would say that this isn't even exclusive to the ends. There have been a couple of reflective moments with Yosuke already, particularly in regards to Saki and his new responsibility. Interested to see this one end.

Dantis

You could say it's on the nose/mechanical because of the way the game gives you feedback and explicitly tells you you're developing relationships, but the characterization is just so goddamn good. I really don't think it's too much to ask for the player to suspense their disbelief.

Which S. Links do you recommend prioritizing, Dantis? I've honestly teared up during Yumi's and I'm not done with it yet.

Yumi's is great. Yosuke's is amazing if you like the character. Nanako's and Dojima's are both really important. The hospital one is excellent, particularly if you can contrast it to the Devil S Link in P3 (Tanaka).

The only one which I don't feel much for is Marie's, though her rank 9 is nice. She doesn't have anywhere near the same level of development as the other characters though.

There's a few I've never finished (Even on my most recent playthrough), like the daycare one and the tutoring one. I've also never done Kanji's for some reason... I end up going back to the same ones over and over. Like Yosuke's level 9. Love it.

Frankly I would say that this isn't even exclusive to the ends. There have been a couple of reflective moments with Yosuke already, particularly in regards to Saki and his new responsibility. Interested to see this one end.

His monologue in his rank 9 really gets me. It feels so conclusive, and it's a very 'real' reflection.

Verelios

Are there any notable personas I should make going into the 3rd dungeon?

My MC is level 24

I was level 23 and just stuck with King Frost, Lilim and a Strength Persona. His name escapes me, but he wields two Katana's and is pretty red all over. Made it through fine.

Syrinx

Yumi's is great. Yosuke's is amazing if you like the character. Nanako's and Dojima's are both really important. The hospital one is excellent, particularly if you can contrast it to the Devil S Link in P3 (Tanaka).

The only one which I don't feel much for is Marie's, though her rank 9 is nice. She doesn't have anywhere near the same level of development as the other characters though.

There's a few I've never finished (Even on my most recent playthrough), like the daycare one and the tutoring one. I've also never done Kanji's for some reason... I end up going back to the same ones over and over. Like Yosuke's level 9. Love it.

His monologue in his rank 9 really gets me. It feels so conclusive, and it's a very 'real' reflection.

I haven't even started her's yet. Has she been outside at all? Maybe I'm just overlooking her. Also, who's that girl who became the soccer team's manager but doesn't do anything? Is her link any good? Neither character seems very interesting.

Dantis

I haven't even started her's yet. Has she been outside at all? Maybe I'm just overlooking her. Also, who's that girl who became the soccer team's manager but doesn't do anything? Is her link any good? Neither character seems very interesting.

Unfortunately, Marie's is required for the new epilogue, so you might want to do it. Just don't expect much. To start it you just enter the Velvet Room twice in a row, I think.

Ai is... Unlike anyone else in the game, which makes her kind of interesting? She's mean, though.

She is the moon arcana. Her link develops pretty interestingly.

So just started this today and while I'm really not even close to far into it figured I'd post here. Game is definitely not something i'd typically play and it starts off a bit slow for my tastes. However, despite all that...I'm still strangely very hooked on it and can't seem to want to out it down, and I'm sure once the game picks up I'll easily be able to see what all the hype is about. I'm excited to play much more.

Having already played the game, it's really bothering me doing the
Adachi social link. I already know he's a murderer and a creepy raper guy, yet I keep inviting him into my home and letting him hang out with Nanako. It's WEIRD.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Having already played the game, it's really bothering me doing the
Adachi social link. I already know he's a murderer and a creepy raper guy, yet I keep inviting him into my home and letting him hang out with Nanako. It's WEIRD.
I know, right? I wanted to say something before, but ...
I have to wonder what it's like for people who haven't played the game? Adachi comes across as an asshole, but he also seems to have a shred of decency...but if you've played the game before, you'll know that he's likely not being genuine about it either.

Jintor

Not entirely related, but watching the Persona 4 anime in English having already watched it in Japanese and having watched the Endurance Run. Been waiting for these VOs for MONTHS now!

Varna

So just started this today and while I'm really not even close to far into it figured I'd post here. Game is definitely not something i'd typically play and it starts off a bit slow for my tastes. However, despite all that...I'm still strangely very hooked on it and can't seem to want to out it down, and I'm sure once the game picks up I'll easily be able to see what all the hype is about. I'm excited to play much more.

Beginning is pretty brutal yes. I know slow intros have their purpose but it's always annoying since you just want to actually start playing. It does indeed get a lot better once it opens up. About the four hour mark is when that happens.

So
Naoto's dungeon
just opened up. About how far into the game am I?

Finished up a few social links already.... Devil, Magician, Chariot and Lovers. Quiet a bit close to a few others as well. I really liked these characters the most... unfortunately now it kind of sucks that there isn't more to see. Story seems a bit off sometimes now because those character seem a bit out of it (going by what happened in their arc conclusion). Persona 5 should definitely focus on having more lasting implications.

Dantis

Plot spoilers for October
Did Naoto always sound this girly? She sounds more like a teenage girl than anyone else in the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Persona 4's suddenly asking me about kanji... oh lawd...

Let's see...
Kukai was the guy who they say invented kana, right? Must be him. Can't be Genshin because he specialized in enlightenment teachings. Edit: lol, this is what I get for FF-ing through dialogue; Kukai was actually mentioned.

Is this thread by far the biggest vita thread? I wonder how well it sold. I really wish for it to sell very well, so that the usual psp suspect (aksys, atlus) decide there is at least a market for their stuff here.

Side comment about the game. I just one-day-ed the
steamy house dungeon
I wish the game didn't offer incentives to do as much of the dungeon in one day as possible; it makes the rhythm of the game very unbalanced (tons of SL / high school stuff - hours of dungeon - tons of story). Interleaving them better would have been nice.

Nevertheless, best game I have played so far this year. Just a bit disappointed at the difficulty. I feel very little challenge so far in normal. I am used to Atlus games making me want to kill myself (I am looking at you, trauma center).

-GJ-

The Voice and SOS functions are a great addition to the game, but those buttons are ugly as fuck! Why they didn't design them in the same art style of the rest of the game is beyond me. It looks like Atlus just bought some stock icons to use. Next time they need two buttons they should ask me to design them. I'd do it for free, lol.

ckohler

Only 14 hours in and I can just feel how much I'm screwing up. This game is awesome but it's also frustrating because every decision you make seems like the wrong one.

Also, here's my SOS message:

Objya.jpg

Golbez

Persona 4's suddenly asking me about kanji... oh lawd...

Let's see...
Kukai was the guy who they say invented kana, right? Must be him. Can't be Genshin because he specialized in enlightenment teachings. Edit: lol, this is what I get for FF-ing through dialogue; Kukai was actually mentioned.
Text recall is great for cheating!

Varna

The Voice and SOS functions are a great addition to the game, but those buttons are ugly as fuck! Why they didn't design them in the same art style of the rest of the game is beyond me. It looks like Atlus just bought some stock icons to use. Next time they need two buttons they should ask me to design them. I'd do it for free, lol.

I wish you could assign the button to the rear touch. Don't like thumb prints on my screen. :(

Top Bottom