• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

img627041124941.jpg

After 80+ hours, I finally beat my first persona game! I can't wait to start my new game + and max out all the social links. Quick question though, can I only fuse Izanagi's ultimate form in new game +?

I have a question for anyone that's beaten Persona 4 before:
Is anyone else having trouble doing Adachi's social link? Knowing what I do about him I find it very hard to pal around with the bastard.

Persona86

Banned
After 80+ hours, I finally beat my first persona game! I can't wait to start my new game + and max out all the social links. Quick question though, can I only fuse Izanagi's ultimate form in new game +?

Does anyone know if there's a new game + in Persona 3 FEZ and Original P4 too?

Just started playing. Is there a reason for the blur in the game? Kinda makes me feel like I'm playing on a psp screen again, ugh..

It was in the PS2 version, the consensus is that it's deliberate. If looks like anything more than a subtle ghosting effect, there might be something wrong with your screen.

Is anyone else having trouble doing Adachi's social link? Knowing what I do about him I find it very hard to pal around with the bastard.

Yeah, many people I'm sure. It's creepy. Damn, what it must be like to be a first-timer playing this and doing that SL.

Does anyone know if there's a new game + in Persona 3 FEZ and Original P4 too?

Definitely, it's in both. P3FES's NG+ is little more giving however since you'll keep gear, personae, money, and stats. P4 lets you keep money and stats.

bigkrev

Well, just finished the game. 60 hr 3 min finish time, first time playing the game.

I have to say that Rise made the endgame way too easy. If you max out her Social Link, and take her to the hot springs a few times, you are going to get multiple buffs per boss fight. In the fight against the final boss, she gave me the boost that gives Mind Charge and Phys Charge to all your characters twice in the first 3 rounds. As a result, it was one of the easier fights in the game.

In hindsight,
Yukiko's Shadow
in the first dungeon was probably the hardest fight in the game for me. The difficulty curve in this game is heavily weighed towards the beginning.

ending
I'm guessing the whole "Back in the Summer" scene that played was new for this game, right? It was really seeing how all the characters had changed in the 6 months that had passed- Naoto dressing like a lady, Kanji all preppy, ect. Such a great ending- although i'm not sure Marie acting as the weather god is a good idea!

Now, onto Persona 4 Arena! I really wanted to get it this summer, but I promised myself I would wait to play this as not to ruin the games story. Its 20 bucks at Frys if you haven't picked it up yet http://www.frys.com/search?search_t...g=persona+4+arena&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&cat=0

ss_lemonade

It was in the PS2 version, the consensus is that it's deliberate. If looks like anything more than a subtle ghosting effect, there might be something wrong with your screen.
Doubt its my screen, all my other games work fine. I think this blurring thing was a thing ps2 games did to mask low resolutions or something. Kind of like a flicker filter effect.

I really think the game would have looked better without it. Anyway, game seems enjoyable. Already beat p3p on my vita, and this is my first time playing p4 so I'm expecting a great time with this

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
That was neat - actually, I had never done Apple's link, even after playing P4 a couple of times, but after seeing the anime, I deciding to do it this time around. It's a good time, sort of sad, sort of creepy, but a good time. Also, blew my mind that she is fully voiced during the festival.

From what I heard, all of the 9th and 10th Social Link levels are fully voiced. Which is partly why they needed to grab two new VAs. :p

Dresden

I'm finding it pretty amusing
because all his lines are so innocent without context. Then you know what's up and it goes into creepville.

Varna

Maxing the Lovers social link does kind give tons of perks. I am able to solo the 5th dungeon quiet easily. Getting tons of experience. I'll hit 55 soon. :)

Yuripaw

Banned
ending
I'm guessing the whole "Back in the Summer" scene that played was new for this game, right? It was really seeing how all the characters had changed in the 6 months that had passed- Naoto dressing like a lady, Kanji all preppy, ect. Such a great ending- although i'm not sure Marie acting as the weather god is a good idea!

It's only 6 months? I don't know what happens exactly, but I saw a screenshot, and I question whether that addition will be considered canon at all. Persona 4 Arena takes place...2 months I think after Persona 4, and they don't really change that much. Naoto especially doesn't seem ready to start dressing like a lady.

zoku88

Just finished.

Kinda bummed that
I never fought a Reaper. Also, didn't get to fight Magaret. Is she only for the 2nd playthrough?

I finished in about 87 hours and I was way overpowered (lvl 99 protag + highly level persona, like lvl 99 Lucifer.)

I really liked Aeon Kaguya's design. I hope it shows up in some future Megami Tensei games. Was that done by Soejima?

Also, what carries over in NG+? I'm guessing social stats go (which strangely, I didn't completely max out, unlike what I did in the PS2 version.)

EDIT: Nvm, it was answered above.

Sophia

It's only 6 months? I don't know what happens exactly, but I saw a screenshot, and I question whether that addition will be considered canon at all. Persona 4 Arena takes place...2 months I think after Persona 4, and they don't really change that much. Naoto especially doesn't seem ready to start dressing like a lady.

Naoto was on the job in Persona 4 Arena the whole time, so that's a factor.

Kinda bummed that
I never fought a Reaper. Also, didn't get to fight Magaret. Is she only for the 2nd playthrough?

To fight Margaret, you need to max out her social link before the final dungeon AND meet her at a certain date before the end but after maxing it out. I don't think a second playthrough is required on Persona 4 Golden, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong

Also, I am amused that typing "Yu Narukami" into Google suggests "Yu Narukami swag" as the first result.

zoku88

Naoto was on the job in Persona 4 Arena the whole time, so that's a factor.

To fight Margaret, you need to max out her social link before the final dungeon AND meet her at a certain date before the end but after maxing it out. I don't think a second playthrough is required on Persona 4 Golden, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong

That's weird. I maxed out her social link pretty early and checked in with her somewhat frequently. I guess I was just unlucky....

Sophia

That's weird. I maxed out her social link pretty early and checked in with her somewhat frequently. I guess I was just unlucky....

Like I said. It might require a second playthrough. They removed the second playthrough requirement for the Reaper and I was under the assumption they did the same for her, but maybe not.

EDIT:

It's still NG+ only.

Well there you go. Kinda odd that they changed one optional boss, but not the other.

Balphon

It's still NG+ only.

zoku88

Like I said. It might require a second playthrough. They removed the second playthrough requirement for the Reaper and I was under the assumption they did the same for her, but maybe not.

EDIT:

Well there you go. Kinda odd that they changed one optional boss, but not the other.

It's still NG+ only.

Thanks.

I was obsessing over it. It's part of the reason why my levels were so high...

Sophia

Thanks.

I was obsessing over it. It's part of the reason why my levels were so high...

If you don't play on Very Hard, you can take your Persona Compendium over to a NG+, so just farm money before you go over.

If you want to play on Very Hard... well that sucks :(

zoku88

If you don't play on Very Hard, you can take your Persona Compendium over to a NG+, so just farm money before you go over.

Oh jeez, that's right. I really should have farmed money before I beat the final boss... Too late for that now, I guess :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teddie's battle animation / dungeon idle animation is funnier when (July? spoilers)
you take him out of the bear costume (and I'm so so so glad you're finally able to do this--it's something I wished was in the original P4)
. Every time I see it, I always wonder what in the world he's doing. Dancing? What's he doing in the last frame of animation before it loops?

Teddie, you so crazy.

bigkrev

So apparently, there is a secret channel in TV listings that only appears between midnight and 1 AM... I'll be checking that out tomorrow night

Wait there is new game+ penalties for very hard? People keep changing between yes and no...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
In this version, the game extends to January and February right? So that means the social links of the investigation team doesn't end at November?

Sophia

Wait there is new game+ penalties for very hard? People keep changing between yes and no...

When you start a new game plus in Persona 3 Portable or Persona 4 Golden, you get to pick the difficulty again. The hardest difficulty (Maniac in P3P, Very Hard in P4G) doesn't allow you to carry anything advantageous over like the Persona Compendium or your money.

Dantis

This was one of my problems with Arena. I'd already played Golden, so they don't match up. Golden's epilogue fits more with the actual game though, and Arena obviously did what it did for the sake of familiarity, so I'm pretty sure Golden has the canonical appearances Also Arena's story is throwaway and shit.

I beat this game without maxing the Marie social link because I thought the cutoff would be much later. I feel so robbed not getting to see the extra scenes just because of that.

The game took me 100 hours to complete... not sure I want to start again just yet.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm constantly dying while fighting
Kanji's persona
. What level should I be on? I haven't had any trouble up until now at all.

Ken

Nah. You have until like December or something.

Is it wrong that I don't want to advance Marie's SL. I've only been focusing upping the SL on characters I like...so some of the Investigation Team and the Strength SL. Also the Dojimas.

Dantis

Kanji's persona

About 25. Generally, the best way is to get ten levels for each dungeon, starting with level 15 for the Castle.

Is it wrong that I don't want to advance Marie's SL. I've only been focusing upping the SL on characters I like...so some of the Investigation Team and the Strength SL.

Nope, it's pretty meh. It's more about the gags than character development, so it really can't stand up to the other S Links. Make sure you get it done though, because the new epilogue is probably the only one of the big additions in Golden that I consider worthwhile.

Dresden

Kanji's persona

I was lvl21 for that fight. The sidekicks now have weaknesses so you can blow them up pretty easily before taking out
Shadow Kanji.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I was lvl21 for that fight. The sidekicks now have weaknesses so you can blow them up pretty easily before taking out
Shadow Kanji.
Yeah. My element dealers keep raging so I can't summon, and then rampage destroys me. I'm level 20.

Ken

Nope, it's pretty meh. It's more about the gags than character development, so it really can't stand up to the other S Links. Make sure you get it done though, because the new epilogue is probably the only one of the big additions in Golden that I consider worthwhile.

What are the conditions for the new epilogue? I was thinking about just playing through the game the first time without knowing much beforehand to see what I get and trying for the "better endings" and stuff on my second playthrough.

Dantis

What are the conditions for the new epilogue? I was thinking about just playing through the game the first time without knowing much beforehand to see what I get and trying for the "better endings" and stuff on my second playthrough.

Ah.

If you haven't played it before, it might be better to just do it without the new dungeon and ending then. To get the epilogue, you just finish Marie's S Link.

SoulUnison

Banned
Got to
ust after Naoto's dungeon
and kept feeling iffy about my S Links and such. Planned to just skip through to a bad ending and then NG+, but I couldn't keep up the motivation for it.

Started all over on Hard mode, and it's clicking a lot more for me, now. I skipped all the intro a a bunch of cutscenes since I already True Ended P4 back on the PS2, and I think it took me out of the game.

Starting over, actually letting all the cutscenes, even the 3 hour long intro play out again, I'm feeling much more "re-connected" to the game. Time to stomp Yukiko's Castle again.

kiyomi

Finally got my copy yesterday morning, played about 2 hours. Need a lot more time with it but some pretty binary thoughts;

- game looks great, animated scenes and character artwork in particular really shine on the Vita.
- watched both intros, honestly don't care for either of them but the older one is a bit better I guess.
- haven't quite fallen in with Chie or Yosuke, think my favourite character so far is probably Dojima, lol.

Looking forward to sinking crazy hours into it and hopefully discovering what all the hype is about. :)

Dantis

Finally got my copy yesterday morning, played about 2 hours. Need a lot more time with it but some pretty binary thoughts;

- game looks great, animated scenes and character artwork in particular really shine on the Vita.
- watched both intros, honestly don't care for either of them but the older one is a bit better I guess.
- haven't quite fallen in with Chie or Yosuke, think my favourite character so far is probably Dojima, lol.

Looking forward to sinking crazy hours into it and hopefully discovering what all the hype is about. :)

Yosuke gets a lot better.

Top Bottom