• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Lol, me too.

Regarding Persona 5, Im a newcomer to the series with P4G being my first so my opinion doesnt hold as much weight as some of you, but Im really, really enjoying this on a handheld and hope the next game is available for the Vita. It just works so well.

P5 on a console would be preferable, but I'm having a really good time on the Vita, if anything at least it justified my purchase. Save opportunities are pretty plentiful, and if not, the sleep function is awesome and something a console version can't provide. One of the few RPGs I've played where it's viable to pick up and play for a couple minutes (although those typically turn into hours).

Salaadin

Moreso than a PS3 exclusive, I want Persona 5 to be on PS3 and Vita with cross-play. It's the perfect kind of game to enjoy on the console, then take with you on the go.

This would be nice. Even if its not a cross play title, having save file transfer between both versions (like BlazBlue) would be really nice. Even moreso if its integrated into PS Plus where we can just upload the save file to the cloud and then download it to whatever version we are playing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Diehard OG Chie Fans: How receptive have you been to her new voice in Golden? I'm an enormous fan of the original P4, and I haven't played golden yet, but listening to some new voice samples on youtube has me face-palming hard.

I think 90%+ of the voice acting in P4G is legitimately great.

Chie is embarrassingly bad, and worse on top of that is such a high pitched anime cliche I literally have to skip her dialogue/turn the volume almost off to prevent my ears from hurting.

I honestly would have been happier with either a mute chie in the new scenes, or literally a homeless dude mumbling the lines. At least my ears wouldn't hurt...

I picture your face turning into your avatar every time she speaks hah

I dont really understand why you'd feel that way. I mean I get your complaints about the hot springs, and I totally agree there but I dont know, this didnt seem that out of place or feel any dumber than the camping trip summer festival or school festival.

I didn't want an episode of k-on or those other hey let's become a band suddenly in a few weeks animu, it's just not to my taste personally

kuroshiki

Actually I think P5 for vita would be fantastic. I can play the game anywhere. I would totally skip console version for vita.

Also I just noticed that when I play NFSMW, my vita has around 2hr30min battery life but with P4G I get around 4-5 hrs. I guess P4G is not power hungry game at all.

Salaadin

Also I just noticed that when I play NFSMW, my vita has around 2hr30min battery life but with P4G I get around 4-5 hrs. I guess P4G is not power hungry game at all.

The difference being that with NFSMW, 2 hours feels like 2 hours. With P4G, 5 hours only feels like one :p
Ive had too many moments where the Vita pops up that "battery low" message and I turn to the clock and go "Holy shit!" before saving and throwing it on the charge cradle for a few hours.

web01

I am playing the game for the first time and have no problems at all with Chie's voice actor.
I actually like her. I can imagine its weird if you are used to her previous voice but I think its unfair to say the new voice acting is bad.

Dantis

I dont really understand why you'd feel that way. I mean I get your complaints about the hot springs, and I totally agree there but I dont know, this didnt seem that out of place or feel any dumber than the camping trip summer festival or school festival.

The actual anime cutscene, or the event in general? The event in general was dumb, but whatever. The anime cutscene was vile.

Also, the school festival has some of my least favourite parts of the game, sooooo...

SoulUnison

Banned
I am playing the game for the first time and have no problems at all with Chie's voice actor.
I actually like her. I can imagine its weird if you are used to her previous voice but I think its unfair to say the new voice acting is bad.

I played the original, and I'm not having too much trouble with new Chie's voice. She's definitely more nasally than the original, and Old!Chie did a better "tomboy" voice, but it's not affecting my enjoyment of the game or of the character or anything.

I don't get how people can be so hyperbolic as to say things like "It would have been better if they just redubbed Chie with a mumbling homeless man."

Salaadin

I like her too. Her over-exaggerated way of speaking make me laugh and it seems to fit her character. Her battle voice is good too.

Dresden

I'd be fine with it being a handheld if the vita sales weren't so moribund. Can't imagine them not doing a 3DS version as well in that case, and I don't know if I'd be happy with that hamstringing everything.

Varna

I played to about the fourth dungeon on the PS2 version and I'm also having no issue with the new VA. Chie's VA just developed some kind of weird following... I never understood it. Her voice was... unique in the PS2 version, but not something to develop a cult around.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'd be fine with it being a handheld if the vita sales weren't so moribund. Can't imagine them not doing a 3DS version as well in that case, and I don't know if I'd be happy with that hamstringing everything.

P5 on 3ds would be basically the only game that could make me get a 3ds.

P90

Diehard OG Chie Fans: How receptive have you been to her new voice in Golden? I'm an enormous fan of the original P4, and I haven't played golden yet, but listening to some new voice samples on youtube has me face-palming hard.

I don't care for Fitzgerald's voice for Chie in the slightest. Chie, the character, is still a sweetie. I think the Chie character is so endearing that I can mentally tune out the new Chie VA.

Meier

She is AWFUL to start.. like seriously TERRIBLE. I made a post complaining about the voice acting after about an hour and almost all my complaints were related to her. I think she's been better as it has progressed though. The initial bit though, her delivery is terribly stilted.

Edit: Oops, my post is referencing P4G btw. Seems like yours may be about P4A..

kuroshiki

Vita P4G sold better than PS2 version in Japan. It sold 260,000 copies in Japan alone.

That's pretty damn good number considering it is a remake.

Salaadin

Im probably in a huge state of denial or something but Im still holding onto some weird shred of hope that the Vita starts selling well. I dont know why and it make no sense for me to feel that way but I guess its just something that I want to happen because I love the system so much. I really hopes theres a turnaround.

Anyways, when I said that I want a Vita version, I dont necessarily mean for them to not do a console version. Having a version of both systems would be preferable and then we can just choose where we want to play it.
Im not opposed to buying a console version either. I feel like I struck gold (pun intended) by blind buying P4G and Im in with this series for good now..wherever it goes.

For those that have played both P4 and P4Arena, is it strongly recommended to finish P4 first before going into Arena to avoid spoilers? Or is the story standalone enough that I could still enjoy P4 after playing Arena for a little? I'm about 35 hours into P4G now but I still know there's a lot more to play and I'm itching a little to check out Arena as I've had it for a couple weeks now (got it on sale during BF)

Dresden

Just went through the
Beach
stuff... Laughed hard. Let 'em dangle.

Really liking the added content thus far, even if they sometimes make the game much easier than before (more SP items, DS-esque skill inheritance, Power Charge for Kanji, etc).

For those that have played both P4 and P4Arena, is it strongly recommended to finish P4 first before going into Arena to avoid spoilers? Or is the story standalone enough that I could still enjoy P4 after playing Arena for a little? I'm about 35 hours into P4G now but I still know there's a lot more to play and I'm itching a little to check out Arena as I've had it for a couple weeks now (got it on sale during BF)

Definitely finish P4 first.

Necrovex

I picture your face turning into your avatar every time she speaks hah

I didn't want an episode of k-on or those other hey let's become a band suddenly in a few weeks animu, it's just not to my taste personally

Oh, I might actually enjoy this new content then. :p

I would wait. Direct story sequel after all...

Alfredo

Someone pointed this out on the Giant Bomb forums, which kinda ruined "new" Kanji's voice for me. :(

Troy Baker seems to have forgotten what Kanji sounded like, because in the new recorded dialogue, he's less harsh in his tone, and he sounds more like...Troy Baker than Kanji. Since someone brought that up, I can't help but notice it now. ><

So now I'm potentially ruining it for you guys. :p

kuroshiki

Those numbers for real? So everyone with a Vita bought at least one copy?

It was announced in index holding report. it's for real. =P

and no. about 25% people who bought Vita bought P4G in Japan. Vita sold over million there.

That's pretty ridiculous when you think about it. The console base difference is just insane.

anime definitely helped to raise awareness, I guess.

But P4G is just so god damn awesome. Atlus definitely is happy with P4G sales number and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they announce P5 for vita.

It was announced in index holding report. it's for real. =P

and no. about 25% people who bought Vita bought P4G in Japan. Vita sold over million there.

Really. I was only joking, but I thought it was doing really poorly. However, I think Japan is more all-in on handhelds, (or used to be) than us Americans or Euros, so those are probably poor numbers in the scheme of things.

Still, great news for P4, but I still prefer P5 on consoles.

kiyomi

Been playing a bit more, starting to get more into it now as the characters are coming to life.

I never played or heard the original game so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm really not sure what I think of Chie's VA. Seems to alternate between loveably exaggerated and excruciatingly OTT.

The music is growing on me too. The nighttime song, boss theme and the song you hear after school are all great.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
She is AWFUL to start.. like seriously TERRIBLE. I made a post complaining about the voice acting after about an hour and almost all my complaints were related to her. I think she's been better as it has progressed though. The initial bit though, her delivery is terribly stilted.

Edit: Oops, my post is referencing P4G btw. Seems like yours may be about P4A..

She's fine when she isn't being over excited. I think that's a little part of the problem.

When she's talking normally, it's fine, especially with the new spoken dialog. (The festival scene was adorable with Chie.)

The difference being that with NFSMW, 2 hours feels like 2 hours. With P4G, 5 hours only feels like one :p
Ive had too many moments where the Vita pops up that "battery low" message and I turn to the clock and go "Holy shit!" before saving and throwing it on the charge cradle for a few hours.

The worst is when I'm grinding in the middle of a dungeon and this message pops up. Granted, it gives me a very legit excuse to use up a Go-ho and save so I don't lose my progress.

neoemonk

Try fusing a Sarasvati for Invigorate 2, and then head to one of the earlier dungeons or a lower floor to fill up your SP.

Spam SOS in between battles for group members' sp too.

What I usually do is I'll reach the top of the current dungeon as fast as I can, then Goho-M/Traesto out, and head to the previous dungeon to clear out the replacement boss while doing the listed above.

Good idea. I'll give this a whirl tonight. I really want to do these dungeons in one day and get back to my social life :)

Edit: watching the weather report. It rained all day yesterday and now a dense fog has set in. I wonder who died?

Omikaru

Regarding Persona 5, Im a newcomer to the series with P4G being my first so my opinion doesnt hold as much weight as some of you, but Im really, really enjoying this on a handheld and hope the next game is available for the Vita. It just works so well.
I've been a fan of the series for several years now and... oh...

Moreso than a PS3 exclusive, I want Persona 5 to be on PS3 and Vita with cross-play. It's the perfect kind of game to enjoy on the console, then take with you on the go.
Beaten to it. PS3 + Vita cross-save, please. I can't describe how perfect it'd be to play this on PS3 and then take it out when I've gotta go out to do some work/visit family and whatnot.

I also wouldn't object to P5 being on the region locked systems *in addition* to the Sony machines, but I really want to import P5. Having it on 360 or Wii U or whatever would just be a bonus that I'd take advantage of to support the local distributor when it finally arrives in Europe...

Gravijah

Lol, me too.

i want "Catherine" 2 or another new SMT spinoff. :(

Good idea. I'll give this a whirl tonight. I really want to do these dungeons in one day and get back to my social life :)

Edit: watching the weather report. It rained all day yesterday and now a dense fog has set in. I wonder who died?

Be sure to get the hermit S link as high as you can too. It helps. A LOT.

Ok Guys Im new to these Series and Im loving it so far. Started watching The Animation yesterday, but I feel like it will spoil the game for me, so Im leaving that for after I finish the game. Now I have a problem, Im in the first dungeon, is this game supposed to be hard? Im on the 4th floor in the castle and enemies are kicking my ass and killing my main character. Do I have to go down a floor and level up more?

kuroshiki

Ok Guys Im new to these Series and Im loving it so far. Started watching The Animation yesterday, but I feel like it will spoil the game for me, so Im leaving that for after I finish the game. Now I have a problem, Im in the first dungeon, is this game supposed to be hard? Im on the 4th floor in the castle and enemies are kicking my ass and killing my main character. Do I have to go down a floor and level up more?

This game is possibly the easiest RPG I ever played in my life. Can be a little annoying at a time but yeah, it's easy.

Make sure you use that online feature (heal SP/HP) often and get some better persona man. Fuse the shit out of them. What are you using at the moment?

It's not that grindy.

Stay on top of your fusions and have direct control of your partners and you should be fine, unlucky one-shots on your protagonist aside.

Top Bottom