• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

I have sworn to not give my opinion anymore, but that very issue has come up many times before in this thread. Based on the numbers I would think that many agree with you, but there is always the possibility of the vocal minority.

While I wasn't the biggest Chie stan, I really liked the character. A lot of it, evidently, had to do with the characterization by the voice actress.

I warmed up to new Teddie pretty quick. Chie still doesn't mesh with me 20 hours in.

Dresden

Diehard OG Chie Fans: How receptive have you been to her new voice in Golden? I'm an enormous fan of the original P4, and I haven't played golden yet, but listening to some new voice samples on youtube has me face-palming hard.

The last English chie was no Yui Horie, but at least it's not the mess that Golden's VA is right now. I don't know where bad acting ends and the bad voice direction begins. All the more infuriating is how she'll sound decent for one line, then suddenly change pitch and hock up the next line.

Squire

Banned
Is there any way to use Izanagi as the game progresses? Seems like such a waste to give him up.

If you register him to the compendium, you can buy him anytime. (Though I also haven't fused him.) And you can use Skill Cards on him as well!

Anyways, I leveled Dojima's S. Link to 9, got the "bleachers" dialogue choice with Rise and saw the
band practice/Junes performance.
Awesome, awesome stuff!

Ok, how does social link or leveling work? Do you chip away at an invisible XP bar no matter what, or is it only worth hanging out with someone if it says you're relationship will improve soon?

I ask because I recently hung with Marie and there was NO dialog at all. It simple said "You spent time with Marie." Before I did it it said "your relationship doesn't seem like it will deepen soon."

Did I waste my afternoon, or did I chip away closer to the next level?

Hey guys I'm really new to this stuff and was wondering If I can get some tips. I completely lost it earlier
When I was fighting the Contrarian King. He keeps messing me up and I got tired of dying.

Any advice?

Ok, how does social link or leveling work? Do you chip away at an invisible XP bar no matter what, or is it only worth hanging out with someone if it says you're relationship will improve soon?

I ask because I recently hung with Marie and there was NO dialog at all. It simple said "You spent time with Marie." Before I did it it said "your relationship doesn't seem like it will deepen soon."

Did I waste my afternoon, or did I chip away closer to the next level?

Yes, there is XP if you will. You get points just for hanging out with them. You get extra points for having a persona of the appropriate arcana. You get extra points for choosing the right answer.

For example- Say you need 8 points (not exactly) to level up. Well, if you go up to them and it says you will get closer, you are already at level let's say 2. So by agreeing to hang out with them, you get 3 points that contribute to level 3 (but only 2 without the persona). Then if you say the right things, you will get 2 musical notes above their heads at a couple different points. But, if you had the right persona, you would have gotten 3 instead of 2.

In this hypo, if you had the right persona you get 9 points and level up the next time you see them. If you don't have the persona, or chose the wrong dialogue you would have 6 or less. So if you got less than 8 you would need to "spend time," or buy a fortune at the shrine, or otherwise do something to get enough XP to put you at level 3.

It is unavoidable to "spend time" now and again (or buy fortunes at night to prevent doing so). That is why a max S-link playthrough requires a pretty strict guide or a new game +.

Hey guys I'm really new to this stuff and was wondering If I can get some tips. I completely lost it earlier
When I was fighting the Contrarian King. He keeps messing me up and I got tired of dying.

Any advice?

Is that the dungeon one replacement boss? You are probably too low level. If you don't want to come back, keep retrying until you can beat him before he uses rampage.

Is that the dungeon one replacement boss? You are probably too low level. If you don't want to come back, keep retrying until you can beat him before he uses rampage.

Yeah that dungeon. I got so close until he threw out that slap attack that surprisingly one shot my main and I lost :(
Is it weak against anything?

Yeah that dungeon. I got so close until he threw out that slap attack that surprisingly one shot my main and I lost :(

I don't recall. Most bosses aren't. Use a defense reduction on him, offense up on you or both if you can and beat him as quickly as possible.

Alternatively, what I like to do is clear the dungeons in a day. Then, when the next dungeon opens go to the top, and then return to the former dungeon to beat the replacment boss. Gives you the advantage of leveling in the new dungeon without having to waste a day coming back.

Taruranto

The characters in P2 are no way near as fleshed out as P4. She's pretty much just there because it works.

Not true. The characters in P2 get much more development than any character in the series, you end up knowing their backstories, their inner selves and their fears. Their character development also isn't optional and its strictly tied to the plot, creating a complex net of relationships. (The relashionship between Maya, Jun and Tatsuya is definitely more interesting than anything the series did so far)

I don't recall. Most bosses aren't. Use a defense reduction on him, offense up on you or both if you can and beat him as quickly as possible.

Alternatively, what I like to do is clear the dungeons in a day. Then, when the next dungeon opens go to the top, and then return to the former dungeon to beat the replacment boss. Gives you the advantage of leveling in the new dungeon without having to waste a day coming back.

Ah that sounds like a good idea. I'll give it one more go and if it fails I'll do what you said. Thanks

Yeah, so I just did the True Story event, and Dantis, I really dont know why you were complaining so much about this previously. I thought it was pretty funny, and its also a nice set up for a certain character.

At most, I suppose this might ruin your schedule if you were doing a max social link run, or something. I dont know, you lose three days but you still have the nights for stuff.

ckohler

Anyone got tips for leveling up faster? I spend hours in the tv and it seems like I only go up one or two levels if I'm lucky,

Anyone got tips for leveling up faster? I spend hours in the tv and it seems like I only go up one or two levels if I'm lucky,
You can try beating the hidden bosses that appear once you completed a dungeon, but generally, you can't over-level in the game.

At first I was a little bit sad they changed the battle theme. And then I saw that "Reach out to the Truth" only plays when you get the advantage over the enemy. Best incentive to surprise attack ever.

froliq

Any advice?
Use Sukunda and pray. That seemed to do it for me.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, while I was waiting for Persona 4 to arrive from Canada, I decided to play some Persona 3 Portable over the weekend.

I spend 10 ingame hours over two days. Damn this series. :lol

Phyrexi

Neo Member
It is unavoidable to "spend time" now and again (or buy fortunes at night to prevent doing so). That is why a max S-link playthrough requires a pretty strict guide or a new game +.

How important are Social Links to finishing the game? I'm kinda OCD about them and I'd like to max as many as I can but if that requires me to use a guide (which I don't want to on my first playthrough) then maybe I should relax and save that OCD need for a new game +. What do you think?

Dresden

How important are Social Links to finishing the game? I'm kinda OCD about them and I'd like to max as many as I can but if that requires me to use a guide (which I don't want to on my first playthrough) then maybe I should relax and save that OCD need for a new game +. What do you think?

Relax and save that max link run for ng+. Just take your time and do what you want.

Definitely really enjoying this game, but it's the first Persona game I've played. Debated giving Persona 3 Portable a download, but how do you guys think it holds up compared to P4G? Would it feel like a serious downgrade or is it going to be just as great of an experience? Not sure what features were added from P3P to P4G since I basically know next to nothing about the franchise as a whole.

Dantis

Yeah, I maxed Marie earlier... Let's just say that's one cliche that's not at all subverted.

Yup.

Yeah, so I just did the True Story event, and Dantis, I really dont know why you were complaining so much about this previously. I thought it was pretty funny, and its also a nice set up for a certain character.

At most, I suppose this might ruin your schedule if you were doing a max social link run, or something. I dont know, you lose three days but you still have the nights for stuff.

It was so lame and so dumb, and a complete waste of time. It was the one time where I was actually embarrassed to be playing Persona and started to to think "Am I too old for this?...".

Aiii

So not worth it
Definitely really enjoying this game, but it's the first Persona game I've played. Debated giving Persona 3 Portable a download, but how do you guys think it holds up compared to P4G? Would it feel like a serious downgrade or is it going to be just as great of an experience? Not sure what features were added from P3P to P4G since I basically know next to nothing about the franchise as a whole.

Persona 3 Portable is a safe buy. You'll miss cutscenes and instead of moving your character around, it's a cursor and a static image. Nothing too distracting though, as the game is fully voiced throughout and Tartarus (the dungeon area) does have your character moving around.

Out of all the older Persona's, 3 is the only one that doesn't feel too dated, and P3P has alot of extra features added, some from Persona 4, so yeah, you can go ahead and get it and you'll enjoy the hell out of it if you like P4.

janitor job at hospital = 'real persona 4 starts here' :) ...

as was the case with p3p, i'm enjoying this 'replay' even more than i enjoyed playing it the first time...

Pretty well I guess. Obviously graphics are a downgrade and the exploration element is sorta lost but the premise of the game is essentially the same. Social links + grinding in dungeons.

The dungeon obviously isnt as cool or inventive as the ones in persona 4 but its still essentially grinding and then getting to a certain level where some sort of boss lies.

Squire

Banned
I didn't do any jobs this playthrough. You just get so much money on Very Easy, there's no need. I'm sitting on 1.3m yen right now!

I'm definitely gonna do the music club in NG+. This "Apple" character sounds vaguely interesting. Haven't even met her in my game.

I'm mid-October, 35 and 1/2 hours.

Dantis

I didn't do any jobs this playthrough. You just get so much money on Very Easy, there's no need. I'm sitting on 1.3m yen right now!

I'm definitely gonna do the music club in NG+. This "Apple" character sounds vaguely interesting. Haven't even met her in my game.

You should have done the hospital job. You get an S Link when you're on it, and it's pretty decent.

Balphon

The money is rather incidental; the main reason to do the jobs is to get the status increases and S Links associated with them.

JordanKZ

I played around 16 hours of this game over the weekend. Completely hooked. I've watched the GB Endurance Run and the anime, so I know the story off by heart. But the new elements are completely hilarious. The "Up Close and Personal" plan had me in stitches. Especially the responses you could give and chatting girls up.

Also, massive fan of the new main battle theme.

bunbun777

Taking a bit of a break I am somewhere in October. Great game, loads of fun. I love TV Tanaka. Playing on normal, been keeping all party members up to date with good weapons and armor, though some of my friends are a little behind the core team in level so I tried to take them into the latest place, did not work out so well.

Uthred

Played the original with the re-dub so I've no old english VA to compare it to. But Chie's new voice actor is all over the place, sometimes its fine but a lot of the time it sounds forced to the point of self parody.

neoemonk

In the third dungeon. Trying real hard to do it in one go but my SP is running low and I'm only on the fifth floor. I went after the
extra bosses
in the first two dungeons as well so that drained me somewhat. Do you guys use the Fox to pull it off in one day? I'm playing on hard so I'm always strapped for cash it seems. Limited to the healing items I pull from chests.

Curufinwe

The fusion search function and the ability to choose which skills are inherited during the process almost seem like direct responses to complaints made during the Endurance Run.

Um, I thought the trick to beating that boss was
don't let the main character use any physical attacks and don't use two physical attacks in a row and the boss won't do Rampage. I noticed he only seemed to go Rampage after a main character physical attack, so I just equipped a persona with some healing and let him do most of the support while the others went at the boss with magic and the occasional physical hit.
At least, that's how I beat him without being too high a level.

I haven't finished P4G yet, but I think P3P would hold up very well against it... They're really very similar games, and as long as you recognize that P3P precedes P4 developmentally, it really shouldn't be any more jarring than playing FFIV after playing FFVI; both are still great games!

I'm a complete pussy; I still can't keep the chill from running up my spine every time I hear
those chains rattling!

Meier

I keep seeing Spent Time with Maria on the Voice system but I have still not encountered her in mid-May. Is she like a new game plus type of character or something?

Curufinwe

I keep seeing Spent Time with Maria on the Voice system but I have still not encountered her in mid-May. Is she like a new game plus type of character or something?

No, you can start the S.Link with Marie on 4/18 by going into the Velvet Room twice and talking to her.

ckohler

She stands outside of the Velvet Room in the shopping district on some days. Not always, though. She's new to the Vita version.

Meier

No, you can start the S.Link with Marie on 4/18 by going into the Velvet Room twice and talking to her.
Ohh, that girl. Okay, I guess I need to search her out then. I saw her talk to the textile shop owner I believe but that is maybe the only time I've seen her outside the Velvet Room. Forgot her name obviously.

Thanks! (And thanks ckohler)

Dantis

Don't worry they are going to put all their energy and money into making P5, it's their biggest game.

They are even making their own engine for it, that's dedication, they said the engine will help make their ideas translate into the game much faster.

Expect at least Catherine Quality IMO.

Hashino said not to expect Catherine's level of production values for P5. He said it was only possible there because of the much smaller scale.

Coming back from summer break in this game last night gave me real feelings of that back to school dread. And I've been out of school for 7 years.

I think I'm fully absorbed by the game.

It was so lame and so dumb, and a complete waste of time. It was the one time where I was actually embarrassed to be playing Persona and started to to think "Am I too old for this?...".
I dont really understand why you'd feel that way. I mean I get your complaints about the hot springs, and I totally agree there but I dont know, this didnt seem that out of place or feel any dumber than the camping trip summer festival or school festival.

Salaadin

Coming back from summer break in this game last night gave me real feelings of that back to school dread. And I've been out of school for 7 years.

I think I'm fully absorbed by the game.

Lol, me too.

Regarding Persona 5, Im a newcomer to the series with P4G being my first so my opinion doesnt hold as much weight as some of you, but Im really, really enjoying this on a handheld and hope the next game is available for the Vita. It just works so well.

Varna

Not true. The characters in P2 get much more development than any character in the series, you end up knowing their backstories, their inner selves and their fears. Their character development also isn't optional and its strictly tied to the plot, creating a complex net of relationships. (The relashionship between Maya, Jun and Tatsuya is definitely more interesting than anything the series did so far)

Though this is true, a lot of their depth and backstories DO come from optional dialogue. Talking to them at every location reveals a lot more about them.

Dresden

In the third dungeon. Trying real hard to do it in one go but my SP is running low and I'm only on the fifth floor. I went after the
extra bosses
in the first two dungeons as well so that drained me somewhat. Do you guys use the Fox to pull it off in one day? I'm playing on hard so I'm always strapped for cash it seems. Limited to the healing items I pull from chests.

Try fusing a Sarasvati for Invigorate 2, and then head to one of the earlier dungeons or a lower floor to fill up your SP.

Spam SOS in between battles for group members' sp too.

What I usually do is I'll reach the top of the current dungeon as fast as I can, then Goho-M/Traesto out, and head to the previous dungeon to clear out the replacement boss while doing the listed above.

Lol, me too.

Regarding Persona 5, Im a newcomer to the series with P4G being my first so my opinion doesnt hold as much weight as some of you, but Im really, really enjoying this on a handheld and hope the next game is available for the Vita. It just works so well.

Moreso than a PS3 exclusive, I want Persona 5 to be on PS3 and Vita with cross-play. It's the perfect kind of game to enjoy on the console, then take with you on the go.

Top Bottom