• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Squire

Banned
It actually uses the word like 'shit' 'fuck' etc.

without censoring.

"Fuck" isn't in, I'm pretty sure. "Shit", I've heard quite a few times. It's my first time playing, but if this game's gonna drop the F-bomb, it's taking it's sweet time.

Moreso than that, the M is warranted for the subject matter and sexual material in particular. We were just talking about how you can tell a girl you've dreamt about banging her behind the school bleachers, haha

TheMink

"Fuck" isn't in, I'm pretty sure. "Shit", I've heard quite a few times. It's my first time playing, but if this game's gonna drop the F-bomb, it's taking it's sweet time.

Moreso than that, the M is warranted for the subject matter and sexual material in particular. We were just talking about how you can tell a girl you've dreamt about banging her behind the school bleachers, haha

And that is optional?

I'm pretty sure that Apple Head drops the f-bomb at rank 10.
Twice.

kuroshiki

Fuck is in.

Squire

Banned
And that is optional?

It is, but it's hardly the only example. I mean, it's a game about high schoolers and it's pretty damn well representative of the high school experience and mind set. I don't think any of it's too bad and certainly not explicit, but I don't know you're level of sensitivity.

I'm pretty sure that Apple Head drops the f-bomb at rank 10.
Twice.

Ah, didn't do that S. Link.

Fuck is in.

^I stand corrected.

Lusankya

I know its because "shit gets real" but why is the game M specifically?

Because some personas look like women with nearly no clothes on and there is also a persona that looks like a penis. So it's a typical M rating for the US.

In other countries it's rated ages 12 and up.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I know its because "shit gets real" but why is the game M specifically?

gPz4B.jpg

Here's one reason.

bigkrev

I always figured that P4 was M because P3 was M, but P3 also had blood all over the place in Tartarus, and had kids shooting themselves in the head, none of which is in P4. P4G does have the "bonus" (if you want to call it that) of some bathhouse cutscenes where there is a bunch of steam covering up the naughty bits though, so I understand why it is rated M though.

It's not that grindy.

I have never grinded, only explored each floor fully, I'm playing on hard and I got to level 37 before fighting the shadow in the third dungeon, you get less XP on hard as well. Some people are saying they are at the 4th dungeon boss fight and are level 35 which blows my mind, do you guys just run through floors to fight the boss?

X-Factor

What you're offended by sexual stuff but not violence or gore?
Americans are too inhibited.

Also, leveling up does not require much grinding. When going for rescues and real missions, you should change the parties settings to follow your commands to conserve SP.
Using regular attacks on regular enemies conserves SP for harder battles.

When venturing into the dungeon for random leveling sessions, change the rest of your party to "Act freely" to level up faster.

Thatsapenis.gif

Haha thats kinda hilarious, ok thanks guys!

TheMink

What you're offended by sexual stuff but not violence or gore?
Americans are too inhibited.

Also, leveling up does not require much grinding. When going for rescues and real missions, you should change the parties settings to follow your commands to conserve SP.
Using regular attacks on regular enemies conserves SP for harder battles.

When venturing into the dungeon for random leveling sessions, change the rest of your party to "Act freely" to level up faster.

Both actually, but i just figured it wouldnt be violent.
Why would you assume i wasnt btw?
I may be american, but i definitely dont like violence. If a game gives me a blood off option i use it.
I dont play GOW or GOW (lol) becuase of that, and overlysexual stuff is too much for me too.

That's how America works. Explosive, graphic blood and gore is fine - but as soon as a tit pops out you're getting into "adult" territory.
Which is kind of a perplexing thing for us Europeans, as we find sexualized content and rude words less shocking than violence and graphic stuff. P4 was a 16+ when released in Europe, whereas it's Mature in the US (it's more or less the same, but still, I find the amount of warnings on the US cover (Alcohol reference - Animated Blood - Language - Partial Nudity - Sexual themes - Violence) hilarious)
It's also funny how P3 has never created a controversy, considering the whole "teenagers shoot themselves in the head to mimic suicide in order to summon Satan

That apart, this game is so awesome. I already beat it on PS2, and yet it feels so fresh and fun...that's the mark of great games.
can I play this without never playing the previous games???
Yes, you can. Doesn't mean you should. Go play Persona 3 Portable (I suppose you have a Vita) ASAP.

Some people are saying they are at the 4th dungeon boss fight and are level 35 which blows my mind, do you guys just run through floors to fight the boss?

If you are trying to clear the dungeons in a single day then you really don't have enough SP to fight every monster AND fight the two bosses if you are fighting every single enemy. This is assuming you don't just spam the SOS feature then maybe its possible to fight every enemy and clear a dungeon in a day.

Just got my copy. It's gonna be great to have this portable for quick runs now and then.

Just so I know, how far into the game is the fanservice stuff? I'd rather not get to it while I'm on the bus or something :).

Ken

How do you guys deal with trash mobs that put up both Phys and Magic Walls on themselves?

Is a debuff Persona good to have? If so which one is a good one to aim for/skills to have on it.

Currently level 46ish.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yes, it's a grind intensive game.

If you're on normal I don't think you should ever need to grind.

I'm on Very hard and I have done most floors twice, nothing crazy.

QUOTE=ErinIsADrunk;45027894]If you are trying to clear the dungeons in a single day then you really don't have enough SP to fight every monster AND fight the two bosses if you are fighting every single enemy. This is assuming you don't just spam the SOS feature then maybe its possible to fight every enemy and clear a dungeon in a day.[/QUOTE]

SOS+ some taps/random Sp items from chests/sp cards/invigorates (have a lamia with invigorate 1 2 and 3, so she gets 15 sp per turn) and maybe one fox trip has made it easy to clear very hard dungeons in one da

Trigger

How do you guys deal with trash mobs that put up both Phys and Magic Walls on themselves?

Is a debuff Persona good to have? If so which one is a good one to aim for/skills to have on it.

Currently level 46ish.

Yes. I dont have any specific recommendations since I only used one persona, but debuffs are mandatory for some late game fights.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Someone pointed this out on the Giant Bomb forums, which kinda ruined "new" Kanji's voice for me. :(

Troy Baker seems to have forgotten what Kanji sounded like, because in the new recorded dialogue, he's less harsh in his tone, and he sounds more like...Troy Baker than Kanji. Since someone brought that up, I can't help but notice it now. ><

So now I'm potentially ruining it for you guys. :p

I played Saint's Row 3 with a character that looked and sounded like Kanji.

Was pretty great even if in the new lines he sounds like the same voice.

I have never grinded, only explored each floor fully, I'm playing on hard and I got to level 37 before fighting the shadow in the third dungeon, you get less XP on hard as well. Some people are saying they are at the 4th dungeon boss fight and are level 35 which blows my mind, do you guys just run through floors to fight the boss?

I fought every monster on every floor, and for the 2nd-4th dungeons I needed to heavily grind before I could take on the bosses.

ckohler

Yes. I dont have any specific recommendations since I only used one persona, but debuffs are mandatory for some late game fights.

Wait, so are you saying you played the whole game with the initial persona? If so, then what's the point of collecting/fusing? I've been led to believe it was necessary to fuse in order to level up personas enough to win.

Trigger

Wait, so are you saying you played the whole game with the initial persona? If so, then what's the point of collecting/fusing? I've been led to believe it was necessary to fuse in order to level up personas enough to win.

I've beaten the PS2 original about 4 times, lol. Using one persona was more of a persona challenge for this playthrough since you can only hold so many skills on one persona (and because I like Izanagi's design). It's viable to just find a persona you like and stick with it, but for a newbie that's a very boring and time consuming option.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I've beaten the PS2 original about 4 times, lol. Using one persona was more of a persona challenge for this playthrough since you can only hold so many skills on one persona (and because I like Izanagi's design). It's viable to just find a persona you like and stick with it, but for a newbie that's a very boring and time consuming option.

Maybe I'll do a black frost only run in New Game +.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Yeah, if I forced myself to play with one persona I'd probably cry. You might get attached to some of your persona, but it does to get a bit samey near end game. It's kinda like Pokemon at the end. Some personas can learn some skills, but not others, some can learn everything. You can make any persona into a god with enough skill cards and patience.

Meier

Oh fuck I didn't get any warning or anything that I noticed.. but my PSV just turned off presumably from the battery running down. I won't be able to plug it in for awhile (2-3 hours). What are the odds I can salvage my play time? :(

Oh fuck I didn't get any warning or anything that I noticed.. but my PSV just turned off presumably from the battery running down. I won't be able to plug it in for awhile (2-3 hours). What are the odds I can salvage my play time? :(

Last time that happened to me the game just booted where it left off.

rockx4

Ah crap, my vita just crashed. I was browsing neogaf on it with Persona also running and it just froze up. After 5 mins it woke up and let me quit the browser, then it completely crashed before I could go into P4 to save. This sucks ass, I lost hours in a whole dungeon and finishing a boss.

I will never use the browser while playing a game ever again on the Vita.

Tiu Neo

Ah crap, my vita just crashed. I was browsing neogaf on it with Persona also running and it just froze up. After 5 mins it woke up and let me quit the browser, then it completely crashed before I could go into P4 to save. This sucks ass, I lost hours in a whole dungeon and finishing a boss.

Happened to me too, lost a few floors. I also almost opened the browser from the live area a few times, with the game hybernating, and closed as fast as i could, so it wouldn't happen again.

Persona86

Banned

I guess it would be safe with a autosaving game, but an RPG like persona, be careful!

mkenyon

Banned
So, this will probably be the first time I really get into a JRPG and give it my best to complete it over the course of many months. I get gameplay mechanics and will probably make decent guesses at what I should be doing when the game isn't providing me with enough information, but are there things I need to know in advance when it comes to picking cards, personas, and fusing them? I don't really care too much about seeing everything or min/maxing, just not my cup of tea. This is on normal difficulty.

Top Bottom