• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

ckohler

The Voice feature just keeps reminding me how bad I am at discovering Emma requests and Social Links. :p

Still enjoying the game, regardless.

SmithnCo

Just saved Nanako from Heaven and doing stuff on the side.
Anyone know a way to increase someone's Social Link affinity with you (like, when it says "... isn't ready to advance yet") without using time? I'm totally behind on Rise, Marie, and a couple of other people. :/

Otherwise, I'm currently level 98 and it's just 11/6. Any Persona/skill recommendations that you guys think I need to work towards?

Eventually, you should be able to increase anyone's link at the shrine at night, which takes night time, but after you do the hospital and tutoring, you won't have much else to do at night anyway. You can also gain ground by answering certain things correctly in story scenes. Having their specific arcana in your deck always helps.

I was watching a friend play the PS2 version, because he's considering picking up the Vita version, and man, the old intro absolutely oozes style.

The new one definitely fits the tone of the game more, I think, but damn.. dat old intro.

Jintor

Just saved Nanako from Heaven and doing stuff on the side.
Anyone know a way to increase someone's Social Link affinity with you (like, when it says "... isn't ready to advance yet") without using time? I'm totally behind on Rise, Marie, and a couple of other people. :/

Otherwise, I'm currently level 98 and it's just 11/6. Any Persona/skill recommendations that you guys think I need to work towards?

wat

I'm in endgame and I'm level 80...

I was watching a friend play the PS2 version, because he's considering picking up the Vita version, and man, the old intro absolutely oozes style.

The new one definitely fits the tone of the game more, I think, but damn.. dat old intro.
That old intro felt fantastic because your perception of it would change slowly as you get more party members.

Whereas the new intro is the happiest thing I have ever seen.

wat

I'm in endgame and I'm level 80...

I reached level 99 at my second runthrough of the September dungeon, so either in October or November.

I got everyone to level 99 in my second runthrough of the November dungeon.

Gold hands smashing with almighty spells <3

Squire

Banned

My thoughts exactly. That intro is badass. I had heard Jeff Gerstmann call the new one (which I still like) shitty fan service. When I finally saw the original, I understood completely. It's amazing.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
My thoughts exactly. That intro is badass. I had heard Jeff Gerstmann call the new one (which I still like) shitty fan service. When I finally saw the original, I understood completely. It's amazing.

The song is kinda catchy though.

Original is tons better, at least it is on the cart. I was hoping they'd do something like they did with FES and switch it each time.

Jintor

That old intro felt fantastic because your perception of it would change slowly as you get more party members.

Whereas the new intro is the happiest thing I have ever seen.

Should've made it a new OP in NG+ or changed it once you get all the party members, while they did an updated fancier-looking remake of the opening

or rolled dice

I like the new one, but the old one has a way of captivating you immediately. It really makes you imagine what kind of adventure you're about to embark on. The music is great, too, even if the lyrics are a little non-sensical. (Par for the course considering the rest of the game's music though, I suppose.)

Jintor

Damn,
Izanami-no-Okami is no fucking joke. 2 moves per turn, all elemental abilities, a megadiolu and yasogomi blades and just generally beating the shit out of your entire party all at once. God damn.

Jintor

ANDDDDDDDDD DONE

God damn. Amazing, amazing game. Tears in my eyes.

Epilogue everyone was amazing. Hair! Kanji being lolz tier! Omnia mutantir, nihil interit. Everything changes, but nothing is lost. Weathergirl! Ultra idol Rise! The remix version of Never More! Glorious.

I think that's enough Persona for a few months. Might try for a book/social link runthrough later, but I'm all tapped out for now.

Among the best games I've ever played.

still a few criticisms to do with marie's overall integration though, she adds a nice element to the game but it wasn't sufficiently placed in the main story until near the end. Pity!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kind of nice that they now sort of kind of acknowledging the choice of your girlfriend in some of the new scene additions.

Hopefully Persona 5 can improve on that aspect even further. It's silly for the MC and Yukiko on Tuesday officially hooking up only on Thursday the "Yukiko forced herself under your umbrella" happens and she acts like nothing has happened two days before.

Anyways, 37 hours in, level 52 for my main team, just pass the Video Game dungeon. Didn't plan on actually leveling up that much but it just sort of kind of just happened, ahahahah.

Kind of nice that they now sort of kind of acknowledging the choice of your girlfriend in some of the new scene additions.

Hopefully Persona 5 can improve on that aspect even further. It's silly for the MC and Yukiko on Tuesday officially hooking up only on Thursday the "Yukiko forced herself under your umbrella" happens and she acts like nothing has happened two days before.

Anyways, 37 hours in, level 52 for my main team, just pass the Video Game dungeon. Didn't plan on actually leveling up that much but it just sort of kind of just happened, ahahahah.

I know that feel. I finished the lab dungeon with no trouble. Halfway through the boss fight I sunk my party on purpose just to try it again with everyone using regular attacks, and having Yukiko heal when need be. I'm so over-leveled, and it's so worth it.

Dresden

That feeling when you're trying to lose the battle, so you switch to some persona you acquired in a shuffle ten minutes ago and set everyone to Rush and ten minutes later the boss is at half health and Rise is buffing the shit out of everyone while healing, debuffing status ailments, and occasionally doing a full shield on everyone.

Then the protag dies, and she brings him back to life with full health. Nerf Rise.

That feeling when you're trying to lose the battle, so you switch to some persona you acquired in a shuffle ten minutes ago and set everyone to Rush and ten minutes later the boss is at half health and Rise is buffing the shit out of everyone while healing, debuffing status ailments, and occasionally doing a full shield on everyone.

Then the protag dies, and she brings him back to life with full health. Nerf Rise.

Wait, wait, wait.

..What?

Jintor

S.link with Rise and she becomes god, basically

RANDOM EVERYBODY IS CHARGED

STATUS AILMENT CURING AND HP FOR ALL

BLOCK INSTANT-KILL MOVES

RESTORE SP ON BATTLE END

Rise-chan is best chan

Pity all her stats are 2

S.link with Rise and she becomes god, basically

RANDOM EVERYBODY IS CHARGED

STATUS AILMENT CURING AND HP FOR ALL

BLOCK INSTANT-KILL MOVES

RESTORE SP ON BATTLE END

Rise-chan is best chan

Pity all her stats are 2

Aw, crap. I guess I need to work on her more then. I'm currently at 5/6 I think?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

stktt

Banned
She constantly restored my SP and cast attack boosts during the final fight.

I prefer the new intro, but both are great.

Squire

Banned
The song is kinda catchy though.

Original is tons better, at least it is on the cart. I was hoping they'd do something like they did with FES and switch it each time.

I like the new one, but the old one has a way of captivating you immediately. It really makes you imagine what kind of adventure you're about to embark on. The music is great, too, even if the lyrics are a little non-sensical. (Par for the course considering the rest of the game's music though, I suppose.)

Yeah, I totally agree with you guys. The old is much better, but I still like the new one and I think it does seem to be a better fit with all the light-hearted stuff in the game.

Ditto the "Rise is GOD" comments.

Jintor

I actually found myself liking a lot of the new music. Shadow World is just really chill. Time to Make History is an excellent song. The Winter theme and some of Marie's music is excellent.

Noi

Fuck YES.

Maru Q Boss Spoiler

It took the longest out of all the attempts, but I'm finally past this son of a bitch. I ended up having to level up twice more and beat the optional boss in the bathhouse to get Kanji's weapon, all without leaving the tv world once. Now I get a full summer of social linking with no interruptions~

8336616603_463d18162d_b.jpg

Rakshasa ILU &#9829;. Made all the difference, plus his, Chie bad Kanji's Counter all activated when the boss did Heat Wave to land the final blow. Felt SO GOOD.

I actually found myself liking a lot of the new music. Shadow World is just really chill. Time to Make History is an excellent song. The Winter theme and some of Marie's music is excellent.

This. Winter theme and the new dungeon's music in particular are awesome. I even wish there was a full english version of True Story (did Laura Bailey do the singing?).

Just finished my first playthrough and barely got my 100th skill card by the end for the trophy. Now onto NG+ to get fusing InO, fighting the hidden boss and Hardcore Risette (ugh) trophies for my Plat. If I manage to get Hardcore Risette Fan trophy I'll do a 3rd playthrough as my "perfect" run doing everything but most of the meaningless sidequests.

Jintor

I actually really want to start P4 again and get all the damn social links

IF I PLAN IT OUT I CAN TOTALLY DO IT RIGHT THIS TIME

I don't think I get much money though from my true runthrough orz

Got hardcore risette this runthrough, strategy of switching up the party to clear second dungeons paid off

Dantis

This. Winter theme and the new dungeon's music in particular are awesome. I even wish there was a full english version of True Story (did Laura Bailey do the singing?).

Just finished my first playthrough and barely got my 100th skill card by the end for the trophy. Now onto NG+ to get fusing InO, fighting the hidden boss and Hardcore Risette (ugh) trophies for my Plat. If I manage to get Hardcore Risette Fan trophy I'll do a 3rd playthrough as my "perfect" run doing everything but most of the meaningless sidequests.

Snowflakes is absolutely amazing, and Shadow World is okay. I really don't care for Time To Make History though. Feels really phoned-in.

ckohler

Haha! I hadn't checked the TV schedule in a while and discovered
the quiz show
! That is really fun. This game is overflowing with interesting content.

Snowflakes is absolutely amazing, and Shadow World is okay. I really don't care for Time To Make History though. Feels really phoned-in.

I like Time To Make History well enough and it's nice to hear a change-up during dungeon runs as you now have two songs to hear regularly with Reach Out to the Truth for Player Advantages. Snowflakes is a fantastic tune and I consider it (and the whole winter addition) to be a nice reward if you finish all social links and quests (or at least the ones you care about) before the end of the year, giving you time to just have fun.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also Dojima doesn't wear his jacket in the snow, and I'm pretty sure neither sports guy does.

Sounds like everyone on investigation team except for Chie needs to man up.

Aiii

So not worth it
Speaking of outfits, I feel like such a pervert for dressing up the entire team in suits, except for Yukiko, who is in her bathing suit all the time.

I just can't bring myself to change it.

Whelp, I finished up my first P4G playthrough (and my first time through Persona 4) a couple days ago and absolutely loved it... I really took my time and did a fair bit of enjoyable grinding to get my Compendium completed (all standard Personas found/fused, and many of the special ones - I think I'm at 95% complete), as well as having all my characters at level 95 or higher (the "core four" - Yukiko, Chie, Dosuke and myself - being level 99)... Ya, I was totally OP in the final three dungeons, but what the heck... Anyway, it all came in at about 125 hours play time and loved every minute of it...

So I'm jonesing for more Persona but didn't really want to start New Game + on P4G right away, so I threw P3P on my Vita and transfered my PSP save and started the New Game + on it... but I started with the male character and I'm beginning to think maybe I should have gone with the FeMC - I'm not too far into the game yet - still in April... Do you guys think I should restart with the FeMC? I will say that I feel ridiculously OP with the current set up (MC level 82; tons of late game armour, accessories and weapons available for everyone; 9,000,000 Yen in the bank account, etc. etc.)... it's completely ridiculous, even on VH... I ran around the first fifteen floors of tartarous yesterday and just slaughtered everything in my way; by floor three almost every enemy was distressed, and I was kind of hoping Death would show up to give me something to fight...

So should I restart as the FeMC? I'll somewhat shamefacedly admit that the idea seems a little weird to me - I don't mind running and gunning as Lara but I'm a bit weirded out by the idea of pursuing male love interests even in a video game (ya, I'm old fashioned, but that's 'cuz I'm OLD)... Still, it looks like it might be a nice twist... Is it different enough to be worth pursuing?

Necrovex

Whelp, I finished up my first P4G playthrough (and my first time through Persona 4) a couple days ago and absolutely loved it... I really took my time and did a fair bit of enjoyable grinding to get my Compendium completed (all standard Personas found/fused, and many of the special ones - I think I'm at 95% complete), as well as having all my characters at level 95 or higher (the "core four" - Yukiko, Chie, Dosuke and myself - being level 99)... Ya, I was totally OP in the final three dungeons, but what the heck... Anyway, it all came in at about 125 hours play time and loved every minute of it...

So I'm jonesing for more Persona but didn't really want to start New Game + on P4G right away, so I threw P3P on my Vita and transfered my PSP save and started the New Game + on it... but I started with the male character and I'm beginning to think maybe I should have gone with the FeMC - I'm not too far into the game yet - still in April... Do you guys think I should restart with the FeMC? I will say that I feel ridiculously OP with the current set up (MC level 82; tons of late game armour, accessories and weapons available for everyone; 9,000,000 Yen in the bank account, etc. etc.)... it's completely ridiculous, even on VH... I ran around the first fifteen floors of tartarous yesterday and just slaughtered everything in my way; by floor three almost every enemy was distressed, and I was kind of hoping Death would show up to give me something to fight...

So should I restart as the FeMC? I'll somewhat shamefacedly admit that the idea seems a little weird to me - I don't mind running and gunning as Lara but I'm a bit weirded out by the idea of pursuing male love interests even in a video game (ya, I'm old fashioned, but that's 'cuz I'm OLD)... Still, it looks like it might be a nice twist... Is it different enough to be worth pursuing?

Since it sounds like you completed Persona 3 once, I really recommend to restart as the FEMC. Also, she is the best MC. There are a lot of new social links on her route, she has far more of a personality than the male MC, and she is so gosh darn adorable!

I 100% recommend the FeMC if you've already played it through once as a male. It changes around a significant amount of stuff. IT'S LIKE A WHOLE NEW GAME (except for the dungeon crawling which is 90% of 80 hours).

If you can overcome that mental hurdle, I'm a strong proponent that male love interests are always a good option in a videogame regardless of the MC's gender. So maybe take my recommendation with a grain of salt if you strongly feel the opposite way.

Since it sounds like you completed Persona 3 once, I really recommend to restart as the FEMC. Also, she is the best MC. There are a lot of new social links on her route, she has far more of a personality than the male MC, and she is so gosh darn adorable!

I 100% recommend the FeMC if you've already played it through once as a male. It changes around a significant amount of stuff. IT'S LIKE A WHOLE NEW GAME (except for the dungeon crawling which is 90% of 80 hours).

If you can overcome that mental hurdle, I'm a strong proponent that male love interests are always a good option in a videogame regardless of the MC's gender. So maybe take my recommendation with a grain of salt if you strongly feel the opposite way.

Thanks for the recommendations guys... I think I'll restart as the FeMC then... Although I admit that playing the FeMC in a social links game still seems a little bizarre, it's not that I feel "strongly" about the wooing the guys as a girl... basically, it's just a little out of my comfort zone because I'm literally the product of a different age, but I'm sure I'll get used to it... :)

Necrovex

Thanks for the recommendations guys... I think I'll restart as the FeMC then... Although I admit that playing the FeMC in a social links game still seems a little bizarre, it's not that I feel "strongly" about the wooing the guys as a girl... basically, it's just a little out of my comfort zone because I'm literally the product of a different age, but I'm sure I'll get used to it... :)

You can always avoid the male romance links, though I would recommend going down Shinjiro for a few reasons (Dantis will expand on it if you want to know more.). Some of the new links are females, and Junpei is a non love interest SL.

Top Bottom