• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Jintor

I've just finished
Marie's dungeon
, and I can see understand the criticism now.
It wasn't so much the SP draining that irritated me, in fact, I sort of liked that micro-management aspect to it, and it sort of reminded me of the challenge you only typically face at the beginning of these games. No, it was the enemies that had no discernible weaknesses, which meant there became nothing much than battles of attrition. I don't mind that in boss encounters, but to face something like that on almost every floor, well, it just became tiresome.

I've just gone over the 80 hour mark, yikes! And there I was, thinking that my previous experience would avoid another 100 hour save file!

Dude... Risette Complete Analysis. Makes that dungeon a walk in the park.

Noi

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't use just one persona, and swapped them in and out depending on the situation.

And I barely used skill cards either. Only the bonuses from shuffle time.

That makes two of us. Though I'm not as lucky as buddha with magician cards, so I've only gotten one for Rakshasa. I give more cards to Marie than I use. :(

Kazzy

Dude... Risette Complete Analysis. Makes that dungeon a walk in the park.

It wasn't difficult at all, it was just that those battles I mentioned were uninspired and dull to play though.

That makes two of us. Though I'm not as lucky as buddha with magician cards, so I've only gotten one for Rakshasa. I give more cards to Marie than I use. :(

They're easy to pick up, and not at all rare! The best way is probably to get a sweep chain going, take the hit on the "bad" cards to get the rub of the bonus. It gets to the point that it won't really matter, because getting to collect a full hand is preferable to getting one "good" card. I know this may sound obvious but the shuffle system is easy to exploit.

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't use just one persona, and swapped them in and out depending on the situation.

And I barely used skill cards either. Only the bonuses from shuffle time.

I've only started doing it towards the end of the game, and that's mainly because I'm at the point where the Persona I'm fusing have naturally plateaued in terms of level. Throughout the game you should be fusing as much as you can, which will pretty much ensure you have a wide array of skills at your disposal, as well as negating the need to have to grind levels.

Most that post in here have already played the vanilla game, so I guess we're just having fun in seeing how far we can push those particular mechanics. Then there is the fact that I've always liked the design of Norn, so why not juice it up with the shuffle cards?

The new systems do make what was already an easy game, even easier. But it is true that some run contrary to how the core game was designed, such as sticking with a certain Persona for the duration, which is absolutely not the norm.

Jintor

It wasn't difficult at all, it was just that those battles I mentioned were uninspired and dull to play though.

Eh, it just emphasises the rock paper scissors aspect.

I don't actually like battle systems in RPGs very much (unless they're turn-based tactics or whatever). P4's is decent enough, but the only thing I really like is that viable feeling of progress, of eventually just becoming powerful enough to curbstop enemies without breaking a sweat.

Noi

They're easy to pick up, and not at all rare! The best way is probably to get a sweep chain going, take the hit on the "bad" cards to get the rub of the bonus. It gets to the point that it won't really matter, because getting to collect a full hand is preferable to getting one "good" card. I know this may sound obvious but the shuffle system is easy to exploit.

After increasing my play time by 24+ hours in the MaruQ dungeon alone and only getting one Magician card, I deem them rare! That or my copy of the game is out to get me, which I'm slowly starting to convince myself is the case.

Kazzy

Eh, it just emphasises the rock paper scissors aspect.

No, the battles I referenced where the ones where there was no weaknesses, which meant you simply had to hit them until they went down. It always feels weird when you run into a enemy like that, because you're so predisposed to exploiting that opening. It's perfectly understandable in boss encounters, but here they were normal enemies, ones which they also saw fit to supplement with HP in the thousands. Ugh!

Normal battles shouldn't be taking minutes to finish. That just isn't right!

Dantis

After increasing my play time by 24+ hours in the MaruQ dungeon alone and only getting one Magician card, I deem them rare! That or my copy of the game is out to get me, which I'm slowly starting to convince myself is the case.

What.

Why are you even continuing? Is it even fun at this point?

No, the battles I referenced where the ones where there was no weaknesses, which meant you simply had to hit them until they went down. It always feels weird when you run into a enemy like that, because you're so predisposed to exploiting that opening. It's perfectly understandable in boss encounters, but here they were normal enemies, ones which they also saw fit to supplement with HP in the thousands. Ugh!

Really, near the end of the dungeon I was basically spamming MEGIDOLAON on almost literally everything since Rise pretty much made the whole dungeon's gimmick pointless.

There were enemies that were basically tedious just cause they had a lot of HP, one weakness, took like little damage from said weakness and All-Out Attacks didn't do much.

Sophia

What the heck are you doing that the Striptease dungeon takes 24 hours!?

Usually, if an enemy has no weakness, they're highly suspectable to status effects. Is this not true of the new dungeon?

Jintor

Only ran into those as boss enemies, or normal ones, spam medium-grade instant-kills until they went down

Sophia

I'm doing a bit of grinding at Void Quest too, but mostly because I'm stubborn and want everyone above level 40, and I know how all powerful the Agidyne + Mind Charge combination is on the boss.

Necrovex

Spent the whole day clearing
Mitsuo's
dungeon. Man, so much grinding. I discovered the greatness of defeating the supreme hands. I wish I knew about the XP dump I got from them prior to this dungeon. I also completed the first part of Persona 4 Animation today too. Thus, today was simply Persona 4 goodness.

The game doesnt have one of my favorite Yosuke scenes :(

tumblr_ltfi6rbGmg1qd2tiuo1_500.gif

This scene made me burst into tears. I love P4 Animation so damn much. Also, Jintor, I really looked at the animation today, and fuck, the quality is all over the place; the animation quality is more inconsistent than Mass Effect 3.

Jintor

Yesterday, I was drawing Persona 4 Fanart while looking at the Persona 4 Design Works and listening to Persona Music Live on YouTube while my Vita was on a stand with one of Teddie's Quiz Shows paused, pausing occasionally to argue with people about Persona 4 The Animation and check in on this thread.

I think I have a problem.

Spent the whole day clearing
Mitsuo's
dungeon. Man, so much grinding. I discovered the greatness of defeating the supreme hands. I wish I knew about the XP dump I got from them prior to this dungeon.

The moment I finally had megidola and then megidolaon as a skill was one of my happiest moments because I was looking for hands to decimate on purpose. The XP bonus was the best thing ever... and caused my overleveling lol.

And yes, P4Anime quality is all over the place, noticeably in the coloring (especially in the face/neck) but damn I love the visuals in the anime, especially how much character the characters have in the visual drawings.

Dantis

Yesterday, I was drawing Persona 4 Fanart while looking at the Persona 4 Design Works and listening to Persona Music Live on YouTube while my Vita was on a stand with one of Teddie's Quiz Shows paused, pausing occasionally to argue with people about Persona 4 The Animation and check in on this thread.

I think I have a problem.

...Nooo, I do that too.

Wait, are you saying I have a problem?

I'm doing a bit of grinding at Void Quest too, but mostly because I'm stubborn and want everyone above level 40, and I know how all powerful the Agidyne + Mind Charge combination is on the boss.

I am at the end of Void Quest

Yu 54, Yosuke 46, Chie 52, Yukiko 52, Rise 55, Kanji 41, Teddie 51

Noi

What.

Why are you even continuing? Is it even fun at this point?

What the heck are you doing that the Striptease dungeon takes 24 hours!?

Maaaybe 24 is a tad stretching, but I'd say it's close to that. V. Hard gives little EXP (bout 120 or so EXP per fight). I had to go from level ~18 to level 24 to beat the dungeon, not including trips to Yukiko's Castle Floor 1 to refill on SP via SOS, repeated attempts to beat the Bathouse optional boss.. and of course, not counting the occasional death along the way. (Note that this was all in one in-game day, so I couldn't just leave and get equipment upgrades). Beating Shadow
Teddie
at the end felt so so good though.

To answer Dantis' question though, yes. It's still really fun. I take joy in trying to beat RPGs in as low as level as I can without going nuts. Now I'll likely have to repeat that process all over again to somehow beat Void Quest at ~level 24, where the average level is meant to be 35 seeing how that's the level Teddie joins the team at. :D

Sophia

Maaaybe 24 is a tad stretching, but I'd say it's close to that. V. Hard gives little EXP (bout 120 or so EXP per fight). I had to go from level ~18 to level 24 to beat the dungeon, not including trips to Yukiko's Castle Floor 1 to refill on SP via SOS, repeated attempts to beat the Bathouse optional boss.. and of course, not counting the occasional death along the way. (Note that this was all in one in-game day, so I couldn't just leave and get equipment upgrades). Beating Shadow
Teddie

To answer Dantis' question though, yes. It's still really fun. I take joy in trying to beat RPGs in as low as level as I can without going nuts. Now I'll likely have to repeat that process all over again to somehow beat Void Quest at ~level 24, where the average level is meant to be 35 seeing how that's the level Teddie joins the team at. :D

120 XP per fight is low, but it isn't that low. Go back to earlier dungeons, find some hands, smack them around with a physical Persona, uber level your team, and stop trying to do Void quest at 24 when the boss is level 45. :p

On that note, I just got 10k XP from the hands in Void Quest. Everyone leveled twice <3

Dantis

Teddie

Haha, we play games very differently, it seems.

I like to blast through it as fast as I can whilst still appreciating it. My backlog is always gigantic, so I feel like I'm wasting time if I crank up difficulties.

Sophia

I can't even imagine doing a low level run for Persona 4, given the mechanics work against you so badly. The way damage scales would just make it frustrating.

Noi

^Im on Very Hard and I get 2k-10k from gold hands

Wait, the recommended Void Quest level is 35? My MC is 54.

Eh, I just said average cause that's the level Teddie joins the party at, while my MC is 10 levels lower than that, lol.

Then again, I mostly avoid Gold Hands cause it's incredibly easy for them to wipe out my party. The void quest ones are able to one-shot my Chie, Yukiko and MC if I hadn't social linked them enough to take a blow for me/withstand a lethal blow. ._.;

Sophia

Eh, I just said average cause that's the level Teddie joins the party at, while my MC is 10 levels lower than that, lol.

Then again, I mostly avoid Gold Hands cause it's incredibly easy for them to wipe out my party. The void quest ones are able to one-shot my Chie, Yukiko and MC if I hadn't social linked them enough to take a blow for me/withstand a lethal blow. ._.;

You could use Teddie in your party to make more XP go towards the rest of the party. As for the gold hands... does Kanji have Masukunda from his social link? Cast it on em, alongside Rakukaja maybe for your MC.

Gold hands way overleveled me. I was just grinding out some money, making boss Personae, getting quest items, etc.

Yeah I stop killing them to avoid overleveling. Only when I need money for XP or someone is 4+ levels lower than my main.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Yeah I stop killing them to avoid overleveling. Only when I need money for XP or someone is 4+ levels lower than my main.

I could barely kill any to begin with, most of the time they ran away from me.

I got revenge in NG+ though, of course that was the point so I could level up as fast as possible to complete the compendium. :p

Kazzy

Really, near the end of the dungeon I was basically spamming MEGIDOLAON on almost literally everything since Rise pretty much made the whole dungeon's gimmick pointless.

This is exactly what I did too.

There were enemies that were basically tedious just cause they had a lot of HP, one weakness, took like little damage from said weakness and All-Out Attacks didn't do much.

These were the ones, and more often that not, these were the battles that you couldn't escape from. Figures.

Sophia

I could barely kill any to begin with, most of the time they ran away from me.

I got revenge in NG+ though, of course that was the point so I could level up as fast as possible to complete the compendium. :p

Once I got a Persona that's mad awesome in the physical category, killing at least one became easy. And then Kanji went and proved his awesomeness on the aforementioned ones worth 10k XP. =P

CSX

Once I got a Persona that's mad awesome in the physical category, killing at least one became easy. And then Kanji went and proved his awesomeness on the aforementioned ones worth 10k XP. =P

Really? I always only do 1/40 of their health when it comes down to physical attacks.

My strat is mind charge + megidolaon and everyone else either buffs me or guard

Sophia

Really? I always only do 1/40 of their health when it comes down to physical attacks.

My strat is mind charge + megidolaon and everyone else either buffs me or guard

Auto-Tarukaja + Power Charge + Kill Rush/Whatever hits multiple times = Tons of damage, and a good chance of critical. Add Chie and Kanji to the mix and you can easily take down one, often two.

Megi- spells are better strat once you start getting Personae with em, but for the early dungeons and even for later ones when you're low on SP and need money to heal....

I use my MC's persona to buff the party and debuff the hands, and then have Kanji/Yosuke go to town on them.

CSX

Auto-Tarukaja + Power Charge + Kill Rush/Whatever hits multiple times = Tons of damage, and a good chance of critical. Add Chie and Kanji to the mix and you can easily take down one, often two.

Megi- spells are better strat once you start getting Personae with em, but for the early dungeons and even for later ones when you're low on SP and need money to heal....

I always end up missing with that kinda strat lol

sukunda or sukukaja is always a must for me. I get so pissed when a megi spell misses against them...

Sophia

I always end up missing with that kinda strat lol

sukunda or sukukaja is always a must for me. I get so pissed when a megi spell misses against them...

Seeing as I'm using Power Charge in the first route, I usually make Yosuke cast Sukukaja on the protagonist too.

Ponn

Banned
I am so BEARey Happy today!! I was going through my saves (shame limit of 16) and found I had somehow saved a magical pink NG+ from November near the beginning, HOLY SHIT i'm not stuck now! I literally jumped up screamed in excitement. I micromanaged the rest of the shit out of those days and made MAX SL by one freaking day. I was a nervous wreck when I started the fishing and kept running into new hurdles I hadn't anticipated (ride that scooter long people!).

So I had to replay just a couple dungeons but better then a totally wasted playthrough. Got Max SL, Fishing trophy, i'm at 98% Compendium with only two Personas I can see I need to make so i'm hoping they will push me to 100%.

Have a complete monster of a lineup for Personas to use now with the crown jewel of course.

http://i.imgur.com/3EUcm.jpg

Don't think its a spoiler, trophy for crying out loud but not sure whats appropriate. If Persona's aren't considered spoilery I can post pics of my current lineup.

Also I romanced
Marie
this time and I would have to say IRL she's actually the type I would go for. It makes this playthrough a little more enjoyable.

Ponn

Banned
Izanagi-No- Okami is so badass. I wish I didn't have to re-level and fuse to unlock him on repeat playthroughs.

He is badass but truth be told i'm running with Helel much more. And damn, Lucifer was such a disappointment. I mean if I wanted to spend the money I could customize him but i'd rather run with Loki as my Bufu-Dealer. Well I did just get him leveled to Victory Cry which is a saving grace for him.

So I'm in November and shit hit the fan. Now, Marie is stuck at SL 9 and hasn't been around for the last few opportunities (Wednesday, weekends). Is this normal? Is there still time to finish that one? I'm assuming I've got plenty of time for the rescue as usual.

Apart from that, I got Yumi done (friendzone) and doing pretty well on a few, but there are still SLs I haven't even discovered. Am I supposed to find that Chinese girl at some point? And how do I start a SL with Naoto?

Trigger

So I'm in November and shit hit the fan. Now, Marie is stuck at SL 9 and hasn't been around for the last few opportunities (Wednesday, weekends). Is this normal? Is there still time to finish that one? I'm assuming I've got plenty of time for the rescue as usual.

It's normal.
Marie's deadline is in December.

Apart from that, I got Yumi done (friendzone) and doing pretty well on a few, but there are still SLs I haven't even discovered. Am I supposed to find that Chinese girl at some point? And how do I start a SL with Naoto?

Fortune
(Naoto's social link)
can't be initiated unless you have max knowledge and courage. Talk to the man in black at the shopping district if you've got those conditions satisfied.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

That Chinese girl? You mean the girl the owner of the diner keeps mentioning? No, she doesn't have a Social Link, it's just a reference to the anime that was added in.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I like Time to Make History to the point where sometimes I forego Player Advantage in purpose just to hear it during battles.

Level 62 all across the board just pass the Lab dungeon. Again, I didn't plan on doing excessive leveling but it just sort of kind of happened; got lot of lucky hits against scores of Golden Hands. Revolution + Masukukaja + Deathbound is awesome.

When is the deadline for Jester's social link? It's on 4 right now in my file and now it's just a few days after the Lab dungeon (I took care of it in only 1 day and the seeking for clues stuff only took 2 days)

Top Bottom