• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Kazzy

I'm still hunting for an Arms Master for my Yoshitsune.

My god Yoshitsune is so incredibly powerful and underrated. I rarely see people talking about that persona but holy shit Hassou Tobi + Debilitate + Power Charge just eviscerates bosses.

That's probably because he is pretty much as he was in vanilla P4, which is pretty damn incredible. That fusion forecast in the penultimate dungeon pretty much ensured you had a powerful Persona to wreck the remainder of the game with.
My Magatsu-Izanagi shall be my NG + standby, all the dyne spells, as well as Megidoloan. I also have Heat Riser, Auto-Maraku and Mataru on him, but will probably switch those out for Spell Master, Null Physical and the one of the heavy/severe physical attacks.

They all have their uses. Chie has been dominating as a critical machine but new she is in the middle of her black spot phase. Kanji was sub par but then he got Torrent Shot and now is living up to his potential. Yukiko is probably my best team mate, what with Agidyne, Mudoon, Dia spells and the like. Teddie is not as impressive in those aspects but he picks up the slack over Chie's weak Bufu skills, Traesto and Matarukaja. Yosuke is pretty good but at the middle of the game he stalls a tad bit.

Orcastar

It's Yosuke in my case, and I keep telling him to bug off cause his wimpy scooter only does 40 damage. Then again, he hasnt been in my party since the bathhouse...

I'm pretty sure I got cavalry attacks from all party members during my playthrough. Yousuke's is not very damaging, but it always crits, so it's sometimes useful for downing that pesky last enemy who has no weaknesses or just for conserving some SP.

Ponn

Banned
They all have their uses. Chie has been dominating as a critical machine but new she is in the middle of her black spot phase. Kanji was sub par but then he got Torrent Shot and now is living up to his potential. Yukiko is probably my best team mate, what with Agidyne, Mudoon, Dia spells and the like. Teddie is not as impressive in those aspects but he picks up the slack over Chie's weak Bufu skills, Traesto and Matarukaja. Yosuke is pretty good but at the middle of the game he stalls a tad bit.

Che can get a nice evolved Heat Riser type buff but its easy to miss. Overall end game i prefer Kanji. He has the right mix of useful team buffs and he gets Primal Force. The problem with Chie is nothing maxes and someone is always better. I can comfortably replace both her and Yukiko with Teddie alone. I know people run with the original 4 but if you put time into them ive been wrecking house with Teddie, Kanji and Naoto. Once in awhile i will swap Yosuke for Naoto. Stick Chakra ring on Naoto and picks up Mahamaon and Mudoon duties for MC. Or if you want to be really cheap have MC with Trumpeteer, mahamaon, mudoon, spell master and cool breeze along with Naoto and you are c leaning house in final dungeons.

Che can get a nice evolved Heat Riser type buff but its easy to miss. Overall end game i prefer Kanji. He has the right mix of useful team buffs and he gets Primal Force. The problem with Chie is nothing maxes and someone is always better. I can comfortably replace both her and Yukiko with Teddie alone. I know people run with the original 4 but if you put time into them ive been wrecking house with Teddie, Kanji and Naoto. Once in awhile i will swap Yosuke for Naoto. Stick Chakra ring on Naoto and picks up Mahamaon and Mudoon duties for MC. Or if you want to be really cheap have MC with Trumpeteer, mahamaon, mudoon, spell master and cool breeze along with Naoto and you are c leaning house in final dungeons.

The lean on the original 4 was more in the original 4. The other members who were not the original 4 got nice buffs in Golden

Jintor

By the end game Yosuke was my throw items around guy and with items a decent wind damage dealer. Not like you can use Kanji against the final boss, lol

Dantis

I am enjoying using everyone so far....

...I don't get the Yosuke hate.

I know we're talking about battles, but in terms of personalities, Yosuke is my favourite character by far. Followed by old Chie. Then Teddie. Then Kanji. Then Rise. Then Naoto.

And never Yukiko.

Noi

I know we're talking about battles, but in terms of personalities, Yosuke is my favourite character by far. Followed by old Chie. Then Teddie. Then Kanji. Then Rise. Then Naoto.

And never Yukiko.

Dantis, why you do this to me.

I'd literally flip that list upside down.

Miker

Can't rank them. All too awesome. Some S.links are better than others though.

Chie's s. link was bitterly disappointing compared to how great her character was during the rest of the game. The only real good part of it was (last day spoilers)
when she said she wanted to become a police officer and train under Dojima. I thought that was a great end to an otherwise lousy s. link.

Jintor

I wonder if they'll try and hit the 'group of friends' party thing again. It'd be pretty hard to top Persona 4. That said, if they do, I wouldn't mind:

a) Even more group event things
b) More other party members hanging out on their own and chilling with one another in their downtime

Noi

Because you're my Shadow?

EDIT: EVEN BETTER, YOU'RE WADAN!

There's no way you're me, dammit!

I wonder if they'll try and hit the 'group of friends' party thing again. It'd be pretty hard to top Persona 4. That said, if they do, I wouldn't mind:

a) Even more group event things
b) More other party members hanging out on their own and chilling with one another in their downtime

c) More robot girls.

Jintor

Rise for top tier. The fact she's now the most useful party member is just icing on the cake.

I really wish they integrated the best of the anime elements though. Her development episode is ace.

Dantis

There's no way you're me, dammit!

c) More robot girls.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Personality wise:

Kanji
Yukiko
Yosuke
Chie
Teddie
Naoto
Rise

This is impossible. Yukiko has no personality. Most characters in P4, I could give a really long, boring description of. They feel like people. Yukiko is mean and aloof, and that's about it.

;_;

Insert broken social link with Dantis here.

I'd try and rank the Persona 4 cast, but I don't think there's anyone I really dislike among them, personality wise.

BUT I'LL HAVE NO S LINKS LEFT! HOW WILL I DEFEAT THE FINAL BOSS?

Kazzy

Best method for grinding out money at the endgame? I'm open to suggestions, and I really want to get as much as the compendium filled out as I can (currently sitting on 85%), before tackling the final boss. That said, I may just make two save files, finish the game and then come back.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

This is impossible. Yukiko has no personality. Most characters in P4, I could give a really long, boring description of. They feel like people. Yukiko is mean and aloof, and that's about it.

That's just like ur opinion man

Sophia

Same, them and the P2 Duology casts are among my favorite casts ever.

Between the P2 duology, P3, and P4 cast, the only character I honestly truly dislike is Ken. And it's balanced out by P3 having two of my favorite characters. :3

Even the final boss is beatable with no social links. Plus there's always a mandatory one!

CSX

Hell Biker is actually Hell's Angel in JP SMT games.

Guess the reference was too strong to keep? I always thought he was based off of Ghost Rider

Dantis

Even the final boss is beatable with no social links. Plus there's always a mandatory one!

CRISIS AVERTED! I don't need your friendship.

Why they did pair him up with the wrong battle theme?

Because Mass Destruction is the superior song.

On a completely different subject, let's say that Persona 5 went full on anime. I mean, like, the whole nine yards. Gratuitous fan service, over-the-top hijinks, more stylised battles, more moe crap.

What would your response be?

kiyomi

Only using the original 3 classmates in battle and subsequently reading people using other characters just hints to me quite how different my 2nd playthrough will be. Kanjis at like, lv 25. And I really wanted to use Naoto but itd have meant no Chie which is unacceptable.

All I ever see is Twin Dragons and except for Galactic Punt I always reject.

Sophia

Teddie
is the social link they level up to take pity on a player, you know? :p

On a completely different subject, let's say that Persona 5 went full on anime. I mean, like, the whole nine yards. Gratuitous fan service, over-the-top hijinks, more stylised battles, more moe crap.

I can't fathom a response to a reality that only exist in your head, but I imagine the Japanese fanbase would respond appropriately before I could. :D

Because Mass Destruction is the superior song.

Bring on the Crawling Chaos.

Best method for grinding out money at the endgame? I'm open to suggestions, and I really want to get as much as the compendium filled out as I can (currently sitting on 85%), before tackling the final boss. That said, I may just make two save files, finish the game and then come back.

The best one I found is grinding out gold hands randomly in the December dungeon. There really isn't any get rich quick methods this time and quite due to luck of gold hands spawning.

I gave up and decided to new game+ cheat on money to max out the compendium.

Sophia

And are better cameos.

Truth!

The best one I found is grinding out gold hands randomly in the December dungeon. There really isn't any get rich quick methods this time and quite due to luck of gold hands spawning.

I gave up and decided to new game+ cheat on money to max out the compendium.

Yeah sadly Gold Hands are your best bet. They uh... kinda removed the OLD method of getting money fast, as the enemy in question now has instant kills/almighty. :p

Dantis

I can't fathom a response to a reality that only exist in your head, but I imagine the Japanese fanbase would respond appropriately before I could. :D

You can't fathom a theoretical scenario? o_O

Wat!? Although P3 & P3P have the best boss themes

I'm joshin'! I love pretty much all Meguro.

Because Dantis fails to mention that Aigis and Elizabeth are there too. And are better cameos.

They play Reach out to the Truth and I'll Face Myself later anyway.

...I didn't watch the whole video.

Noi

I have enough Understanding too keep all my slinks despite their shit opinions :)

:(

As long as it plays like Persona and not every Compile Heart game ever, I say bring it on.

Where's the pierced boy or Tatsuya or Maya or Labrys cameos?

IM NOT ANSWERING LOADED QUESTIONS.

Dresden

Yukiko is underrated as fuck.

I'm still hunting for an Arms Master for my Yoshitsune.

My god Yoshitsune is so incredibly powerful and underrated. I rarely see people talking about that persona but holy shit Hassou Tobi + Debilitate + Power Charge just eviscerates bosses.

Well he's only widely acknowledged as the most destructive persona in the game. :p

Jintor

Well duh.

Also, Narukami cameo in Lords of Vermillion 2. I have no idea what's going on, but it's playing Mass Destruction as the level theme and Izanagi is bashing fools.

Haha, Mass Destruction starting up is amazing

I fucking love Persona's sense of style. The only other game I think that is so stylised to my mind is TWEWY, and that kind of goes overboard with it.

Dantis

Haha, Mass Destruction starting up is amazing

I fucking love Persona's sense of style. The only other game I think that is so stylised to my mind is TWEWY, and that kind of goes overboard with it.

I really do too.

TWETY's style is very different. Persona is modern and 'cool', whereas TWETY is like a hyper-stylized anime.

I see Persona's style as much more 'serious', if that makes sense? I feel like someone who knew nothing about videogames or Persona could appreciate aspects of the style of Persona (Pre-Golden, at least), whereas I feel like TWETY would only appeal to videogame and anime fans.

To put it another way: LA LA LA LA FANSERVICE? PERSONA 5 NOT BEING AWESOME? I CAN'T HEEEEEAR YOOOOOOU *covers ears and eyes*

Ah. :p

I'm so scared for it getting announced. I'm genuinely concerned that Hashino will say "Well, Arena and Golden did really well, so we should follow their lead!".

I think I'd just drop it all and deny its existence. I used to love Scrubs, and when season 9 came out, I just never watched it. In my eyes, Scrubs ended after eight seasons.

Jintor

"I am a shadow... the True Self..." are such amazing arc words when paired with "I'll Face Myself" and it sucks that they changed it for the anime dub

I mean, all they do is add "Inner" but it somehow throws off the timing

I don't really understand your antipathy for Golden... the only thing that really bugs me about it is that second bath-house scene. And some of Naoto's costuming.

Sophia

Ah. :p

I'm so scared for it getting announced. I'm genuinely concerned that Hashino will say "Well, Arena and Golden did really well, so we should follow their lead!".

I think I'd just drop it all and deny its existence. I used to love Scrubs, and when season 9 came out, I just never watched it. In my eyes, Scrubs ended after eight seasons.

It's not like Hashino didn't have any involvement at all with Arena and Golden. =p

Dantis

It's not like Hashino didn't have any involvement at all with Arena and Golden. =p

He was the producer. The producer isn't really involved in design decisions at all. They make sure the company money is being spent well and whatnot, and that the project is reaching its milestones and the like.

Top Bottom