• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

Do we know anything about P5 at all besides that it's in production?

Absolutely nothing.

The only thing we know is that Meguro said that if Persona 5 did exist, the soundtrack would go in a completely different direction that what we've previously seen.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
On a completely different subject, let's say that Persona 5 went full on anime. I mean, like, the whole nine yards. Gratuitous fan service, over-the-top hijinks, more stylised battles, more moe crap.

What would your response be?

I think this is only a scenario that exists in your little head. :p

I don't think they're going to get into Neptunia territory and completely alienate the fanbase they've established with that shit.

Sophia

He was the producer. The producer isn't really involved in design decisions at all. They make sure the company money is being spent well and whatnot, and that the project is reaching its milestones and the like.

Producers are involved in the overseeing of design decisions. It's not like he was completely deattached from the design process. :p

Do we know anything about P5 at all besides that it's in production?

All we know is that it's in production and that the usual team (Katsura Hashino as director, Shigenori Soejima as character designs, Shoji Meguro on music) is working on it.

Dantis

Jazz?

Orchestral mix?

Metal?

...dubstep?

My theory is electronic. I can imagine them making that sound really cool and modern, and the games made by the proper Persona team have been getting more and more stylish, with Catherine being outrageously slick, so Persona 5 will presumably carry on this trend.

Dantis

Producers are involved in the overseeing of design decisions. It's not like he was completely deattached from the design process. :p

Right, but he wasn't heavily involved either.

My point is that Golden and Arena aren't Hashino games, and it shows.

Possibility of some kind of announcement this year?

Sure!

I was completely convinced it would get announced last year.

CSX

How does the velvet room not have electric outlets? All that booze igor has and the gps screen on the bar shelf itself....

Dantis

This may seem semi cynical but it's better to except things to go bad and be pleasantly surprised than to have high hopes and have them fucked over.

Nope. I have a friend who says that, and it's just silly. If you expect things to be good, it gives you a more open mind and you can appreciate them more.

I went into Nocturne absolutely hating anime, and not caring for JRPGs. Because I accepted that it could be good, I got into it. A few hundred hours later and a few hundred pounds poorer, here I am.

I guess it's good for the series to diversify, but I'll be a little disappointed if the next Persona is a major change from Persona 4. It's especially a little weird to me to hear that the next game's music will be completely different, considering how diverse the tracks in P4 are. The only thing I could really say is constant about the soundtrack is that it has a distinctly Japanese flavor. (Which I enjoy, since it's not something seen in a lot of games today.)

I'm sure it will be enjoyable, at any rate, but I really adore the cheery anime nature of P4.

Jintor

I just hope it doesn't go straight for the Dark Blues of P3.

Persona 4's colour scheme being bright cheery yellow did a lot to contribute. Very, very rare to see an entire design scheme based around that particular colour. I'm also hoping it doesn't go for Red... or Black... Purple? Green? I'm pretty much just naming colours now, lol

Dantis

I guess it's good for the series to diversify, but I'll be a little disappointed if the next Persona is a major change from Persona 4. It's especially a little weird to me to hear that the next game's music will be completely different, considering how diverse the tracks in P4 are. The only thing I could really say is constant about the soundtrack is that it has a distinctly Japanese flavor. (Which I enjoy, since it's not something seen in a lot of games today.)

I'm sure it will be enjoyable, at any rate, but I really adore the cheery anime nature of P4.

Meguro chooses a theme for each soundtrack, so even if it doesn't stick to a genre, it has a common sound (Plus his usual influences of rock and classical). P3 was modern, isolated and cool, but also cheesy. P4 was upbeat and kind of 'normal'. Catherine was bar music in the Stray Sheep and classical music ruined made better. DDS1 was slow and guitar heavy, whilst DDS2 was erratic and electronic (Which is really cool if you know the story to DDS, because it's a reversal of the game themes), and Persona 1 PSP was eery and weird.

His soundtrack is one of the things I'm most looking forward to.

I just hope it doesn't go straight for the Dark Blues of P3.

Persona 4's colour scheme being bright cheery yellow did a lot to contribute. Very, very rare to see an entire design scheme based around that particular colour. I'm also hoping it doesn't go for Red... or Black... Purple? Green? I'm pretty much just naming colours now, lol

Perhaps a monochrome palette? P4's fonts and stylistic choices in the menus played a big part, as well. They looked good while being easy to read.

Edit:
Dantis said:
P3 was modern, isolated and cool, but also cheesy.

P3's soundtrack was super cheesy. I actively disliked P3's soundtrack, while greatly enjoying almost every track on P4.

Sophia

P3's soundtrack was super cheesy. I actively disliked P3's soundtrack, while greatly enjoying almost every track on P4.

I have a friend who enjoys quoting the Lotus Juice rap portions. I think it hooked him on the game, given anytime the subject of the franchise comes up, he quotes the dorm music. >_>;

Dantis

Edit:

Nope.

A lot of it was pretty cool. The only cheesy tracks were Mass Destruction and the dorm music. It's like when everyone says that the P3 soundtrack is hip-hop and the P4 one is pop. It's a gross generalisation.

I have a friend who enjoys quoting the Lotus Juice rap portions. I think it hooked him on the game, given anytime the subject of the franchise comes up, he quotes the dorm music. >_>;

I do this all the time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Fill your body with a burning lasagna!

FWIW I use the dorm music as my ring tone. :3

Jintor

It might be a gross generalisation but it's also kind of true. You might have a Musou Kyoku, Snowflakes, or a Maiden of the Empty Forest, but the defining songs of P4 are definitely things like Pursuing My True Self, Time To Make History, and Reach Out To the Truth. Not to say the entire soundtrack is like that but you can kind of sense a theme.

That said I haven't heard the P3 soundtrack in full yet so I'll reserve comments proper.

Dantis

It might be a gross generalisation but it's also kind of true. You might have a Musou Kyoku, Snowflakes, or a Maiden of the Empty Forest, but the defining songs of P4 are definitely things like Pursuing My True Self, Time To Make History, and Reach Out To the Truth. Not to say the entire soundtrack is like that but you can kind of sense a theme.

That said I haven't heard the P3 soundtrack in full yet so I'll reserve comments proper.

Time To Make History and Reach Out To The Truth are rock, silly.

My mind was slightly blown when I read the lyrics and realized they made sense.

Only to an extent, haha.

Momma's not here, gonna fight... All night.

Jintor

You're rock!

My mind was slightly blown when I read the lyrics and realized they made sense.

I flipped my shit when I realised all of P4G's lyrics actually make complete sense in english, unlike P4's (and P4Animation) which are hit-and-miss I-get-the-tenor-of-what-you're-saying-but-it's-not-grammatically-correct.

We can blame Ben Franklin for that right? Shadow World and Snowflake's Lyrics are amazing.

Dantis

Rock on.

Have you all heard the Lotus Juice tracks from DOA5? One of them in particular is really good.

You're rock!

I flipped my shit when I realised all of P4G's lyrics actually make complete sense in english, unlike P4's (and P4Animation) which are hit-and-miss I-get-the-tenor-of-what-you're-saying-but-it's-not-grammatically-correct.

We can blame Ben Franklin for that right? Shadow World and Snowflake's Lyrics are amazing.

Yup. He did Arena's too, which is why Now I Know also has terrific lyrics. I really wish they got him to do True Story's, because the English sections are more than gibberish.

Necrovex

The release of Persona 5 will only mean new music for the already awesome Persona concert. Shit, Meguro's tunes are the biggest reason why I love this franchise. Also, I noticed some discussion involving TWEWY's OST, which I also adore. It does seem a bit more 'animeish' compared to Persona 4. I know people who loved Persona 4 OST and hated TWEWY OST.

Sophia

Yup. He did Arena's too, which is why Now I Know also has terrific lyrics. I really wish they got him to do True Story's, because the English sections are more than gibberish.

We Are One And All is still arguably my favorite lyrical song in the franchise. I wish P4G had included it somehow.

Jintor

I only really like around half of TWEWY's soundtrack but they're pretty fucking good songs. Same year as P4, right? Twister, Calling, Give Me All Your Love, Deja Vu, Three Minutes Clapping, Underground, Long Dream, Hybrid, Someday... Great stuff. Not as strong as Meguro's work though, the mixing is weird, it doesn't feel as powerful.

We Are One And All is still arguably my favorite lyrical song in the franchise. I wish P4G had included it somehow.

Most definitely. Most definitely. It's on the same level as Never More, and better yet, I can understand it.

Dantis

The release of Persona 5 will only mean new music for the already awesome Persona concert. Shit, Meguro's tunes are the biggest reason why I love this franchise. Also, I noticed some discussion involving TWEWY's OST, which I also adore. It does seem a bit more 'animeish' compared to Persona 4. I know people who loved Persona 4 OST and hated TWEWY OST.

I like most of TWETY's OST (Calling and The One Star are the beeeeest), and I love the Crossover album (I believe we have discussed this before :p). The main theme is one of my least favourite tracks in any game ever though.

I only really like around half of TWEWY's soundtrack but they're pretty fucking good songs. Same year as P4, right? Twister, Calling, Give Me All Your Love, Deja Vu, Three Minutes Clapping, Underground, Long Dream, Hybrid, Someday... Great stuff. Not as strong as Meguro's work though, the mixing is weird, it doesn't feel as powerful.

Meguro's songs rely heavily on his powerful choruses. He also does a lot of overlaying and really strong melodies. TWETY has a kind of punk style to the mix, I feel.

It's... Okay. Not one of my favourite ballads.

Have you actually listened to the whole thing? Because it contains a lot of similarities to P4 (Seeing as it's by the same composer).

There's a lot more to it than just Mass Destruction.

Yeah, I just can't get into it. It's odd. There are definitely similarities, but as a whole I didn't like it. I'm just being dramatic to mess with you guys.

I'm still hunting for an Arms Master for my Yoshitsune.

My god Yoshitsune is so incredibly powerful and underrated. I rarely see people talking about that persona but holy shit Hassou Tobi + Debilitate + Power Charge just eviscerates bosses.

Well, any persona can be powerful so I just pick the ones I think look best. I'm almost done with my immune-to-all-damage Helel with morning star, mind charge, spell master. I'm thinking I'll put victory cry on him for the last slot.

CSX

63689_10151597233797678_1372559696_n.jpg

random shot i took on NG+ Just love the reactions especially when you dress naoto up when kanji is in the party lol...

Top Bottom