• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Sophia

One boss should take over a random selection of your inactive party members. You have to play the rest of the fight trying to not kill them, but also stop them from protecting the boss.

They've kinda done that before, actually... Twice, even if we count Night Queen. :p

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I agree. I really want the battle system to stay the same. No big changes at all.

WHY AM I NOT ASLEEP.

EDIT: WHOOPS! I said real time. I meant turn based!

MY BAD! Fuck it, I'm out. Brain is fried. Bye bye.

hah

I know how you feel, hell I just woke up from like sleeping for about a total of three hours or something., kept waking up over and over. My brain is so very tired. Overnight shifts suck.

Jintor

ATB system plz

(kidding, but honestly, I don't have a strong attachment to the battle mechanics of Persona except so far as they relate to social linking)

Didn't P3 originally use this system? Playing P4 for the first time threw me for a loop.

No. P3 has it sort of like it, but not exactly. If you hit a single enemy that is not weak to what you are casting, even if the rest of the enemies are weak to it, you do not gain a One More! Vice versa with enemies hitting you. That is why in P3, single hit spells were more valuable to have than multi hit. In Press Turn Megaten games, you start with 4 turn icons. If you hit a weakness, you gained an icon, if you hit a strength/null/drain/repel, you lost an icon. You can lose all your turns using only 2 of your 4 dudes if you hit two strengths, etc. You could also choose to pass your current dudes turn to make the icon flash, meaning if you pass again with the next guy, you outright lose that turn icon. Any turn icons you gain are flashing, so those MUST be used by the first person they land on, and cannot be passed. You can have a maximum of 8 turns (disregarding NG+ in DDS) with this, either by passing with 4 and using 4, or hitting weaknesses 4 times, leaving 4 flashing turn icons to be used. This is a terrible explaination btw, in practice it is rather simple, but punishing and strategic.

Dresden

I think 'punishing' is the key word here, and in turn it was more rewarding too when you could get it down. The current implementation of the system in P4 is a bit too plain for me. You're not going to get fucked over as hard, but you're not going to excel with it, either.

Noi

No. P3 has it sort of like it, but not exactly. If you hit a single enemy that is not weak to what you are casting, even if the rest of the enemies are weak to it, you do not gain a One More! Vice versa with enemies hitting you. That is why in P3, single hit spells were more valuable to have than multi hit. In Press Turn Megaten games, you start with 4 turn icons. If you hit a weakness, you gained an icon, if you hit a strength/null/drain/repel, you lost an icon. You can lose all your turns using only 2 of your 4 dudes if you hit two strengths, etc. You could also choose to pass your current dudes turn to make the icon flash, meaning if you pass again with the next guy, you outright lose that turn icon. Any turn icons you gain are flashing, so those MUST be used by the first person they land on, and cannot be passed. You can have a maximum of 8 turns (disregarding NG+ in DDS) with this, either by passing with 4 and using 4, or hitting weaknesses 4 times, leaving 4 flashing turn icons to be used. This is a terrible explaination btw, in practice it is rather simple, but punishing and strategic.

Haha you didn't have to go into that much detail, I've played and beaten Nocturne! I just meant it shared the normal press turn system in that even if you hit a weakness, if you hit an enemy that resisted it, your turn was done.

I think 'punishing' is the key word here, and in turn it was more rewarding too when you could get it down. The current implementation of the system in P4 is a bit too plain for me. You're not going to get fucked over as hard, but you're not going to excel with it, either.

The one major change I appreciate in P4G is the hit % for Hama/Mudo. I hated how in vanilla P3/P4, even if the opponent was weak to them, you were still incredibly likely to miss any attempts, which meant Hama/Mudo only weakness enemies pretty much had no weaknesses. I much prefer P4G's method of increasing the hit rate if they're weak to it and vice versa.

Noi

Yeah, you had no control over party members of P3. That's why the 'YUKARI USES BUFU' meme exists or whatever

tumblr_lsw1v3GWVm1qi4rqeo1_500.jpg

Haha you didn't have to go into that much detail, I've played and beaten Nocturne! I just meant it shared the normal press turn system in that even if you hit a weakness, if you hit an enemy that resisted it, your turn was done.

The one major change I appreciate in P4G is the hit % for Hama/Mudo. I hated how in vanilla P3/P4, even if the opponent was weak to them, you were still incredibly likely to miss any attempts, which meant Hama/Mudo only weakness enemies pretty much had no weaknesses. I much prefer P4G's method of increasing the hit rate if they're weak to it and vice versa.

I thought P4 was the one that boosted Hama/Mudo chances?

Noi

Really? I never miss on enemies weak to Mudo or Hama...

That's what I'm saying. As far as I can tell, that's only been changed in P4G. In P3, FES, P4 and P3P, Hama/Mudo still have a low hit rate even if the enemy

In fact I don't recall it ever missing enemies that were weak in P4. I still miss a few times against weak enemies now in P4G.

It missed for me all the time. :( It's why I actually keep Hama/Mudo persona in P4G because it's the first time I can reliably cast them and hit without wasting SP.

CSX

Question about the extended epilogue

There are only two versions correct? The normal one and one which is the same except Marie confesses her love on public TV?

Young Magus

Yea I think that P4G actually made Hama/Mudo weaknesses connects 100% this time around

EDIT:

Question about the extended epilogue

There are only two versions correct? The normal one and one which is the same except Marie confesses her love on public TV?

Yep

Necrovex

Near end-game stuff:
Marie's dungeon. Oh god, it's so painful. I want to get out of there ASAP. The shadows are not fun to fight, since I can so little experience and no money. I'm losing resources rather than gaining resources here!

Near end-game stuff:
Marie's dungeon. Oh god, it's so painful. I want to get out of there ASAP. The shadows are not fun to fight, since I can so little experience and no money. I'm losing resources rather than gaining resources here!

I ended up just skipping all the enemies after the first few floors. They weren't fun to fight and I knew I was at a high enough level to fight the boss. Ugh, I hated that dungeon. Felt like it went on forever.

Necrovex

I ended up just skipping all the enemies after the first few floors. They weren't fun to fight and I knew I was at a high enough level to fight the boss. Ugh, I hated that dungeon. Felt like it went on forever.

This is the first piece of the new content I have really hated. So close to the finish line too. :-(

Dresden

This is the first piece of the new content I have really hated. So close to the finish line too. :-(

Those door enemies were the worst. Can't run past them.

I thought the boss was decent enough, though, albeit too easy. Looked cool and actually utilized a mechanic the rest of the game completely forgets about.

CSX

How i do dis

keep a finger on the touchscreen in the home menu (any screen) for a few seconds.

Then the editor pops up where you can add new pages , move buttons, and set wallpapers for each page.

If you want to change the wallpaper of the locked screen (booting from sleep mode), then you go to the photo you want in photo add and its an option

Sophia

Whelp, there goes the theory that Hama/Mudo hit 100% of the time on weakness. I just had Chie's Hama miss an Order Giant. :\

stktt

Banned
I've only been playing for ~8 hours, but the cast of Persona 3 doesn't seem as likable as 4's crew. Same goes for the setting and premise. Maybe it will grow on me.

Noi

Whelp, there goes the theory that Hama/Mudo hit 100% of the time on weakness. I just had Chie's Hama miss an Order Giant. :

I never said it hit 100% of the time, just had a massive accuracy boost!

I've only been playing for ~8 hours, but the cast of Persona 3 doesn't seem as likable as 4's crew. Same goes for the setting and premise. Maybe it will grow on me.

Keep in mind that P3 and P4's cast are very different. 4's investigation team are close-knit friends, three of which were already good friends before the game starts, who don't really have any issues with each other and work together to solve the mystery behind the murders. P3's SEES is a group of classmates who choose to work together for their own reasons, some of which include suspicions of other characters within the group. Outside of the time spent in the dorm, the P3 cast aren't friends that go out and do stuff together. They develop and get interesting, but aren't as immediately charming and friendly like say, Chie and Yosuke.

Sophia

I never said it hit 100% of the time, just had a massive accuracy boost!

=P

I love the fact that they gave Chie and Yukiko Hama/Mudo. So much SP saved for my Protagonist. Lowly instant kill attacks are beneath a swagger like him.

Ponn

Banned
Near end-game stuff:

that dungeon is pretty pointless to grind in so just run through when you can. If you can try and have a trumpeteer with Mahamaon and Mamudoon and Cool Breeze, that will ease the pain quite a bit.

Noi

=P

I love the fact that they gave Chie and Yukiko Hama/Mudo. So much SP saved for my Protagonist. Lowly instant kill attacks are beneath a swagger like him.

I got rid of Mudoon on Yukiko once I maxed out her SL and got Amaterasu. ._. Too many good skills to waste on stuff I can keep on a spare persona. I'm already phasing out Chie's Buff spells too cause of Suzuka Gongen.

(I'm at secret lab)

I rarely ever used them, far too situational and not many enemies are weak to them.

Tell that to my v hard run. I cry joyful tears every time I find an enemy weak to them.

Top Bottom