• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Dantis

HELLO MY NAME IS DANTIS AND I AM A WET BLANKET

That's crazy! My name is Dantis too! :O

So PersonaGAF, what other retail games are there worth getting for the Vita? I have P4G, GR, PASBR, and VLR? How is Ragnaroks Odyssey? P4G is great and all but I could use something new for my commute.

Wipeout is good. Disgaea is alright if you can look over the horrible art style.

Noi

So PersonaGAF, what other retail games are there worth getting for the Vita? I have P4G, GR, PASBR, and VLR? How is Ragnaroks Odyssey? P4G is great and all but I could use something new for my commute before Fire Emblem comes out.

Retail, I'd tip my bonnet to Uncharted, LBP and Ragnarok. Digital, Dokuro is a good investment.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just got the Game of Death tracksuit for Chie, by going in the TV on the thundering day on 9/2

It's based on specific days, but it's any of those specific days. For the track suit I think you have to have Chie's kung fu costume and Kanji's duster though
So PersonaGAF, what other retail games are there worth getting for the Vita? I have P4G, GR, PASBR, and VLR? How is Ragnaroks Odyssey? P4G is great and all but I could use something new for my commute before Fire Emblem comes out.
MK vita is good stuff. DJ Max Technika Tune's pretty fun for a rhythm game too

Necrovex

IF ONLY SOME KINDLY FELLOW HAD WARNED YOU HOW BAD IT WOULD BE!

You hated everything new about Golden besides the epilogue! HOW COULD I TAKE YOUR CLAIM OF MARIE'S DUNGEON BEING SHIT SERIOUSLY?!

browsing through the anime of the year thread and someone posted this gif

im_the_king_toddhuntebtkcc.gif

My interest in the anime has grown...just a bit

One of my favorite scenes from P4 Animation. This show is comedy gold, which is one reason why it made my AGOTY list.

Hey now! I like the anime. A lot of it was done like a slightly exaggerated version of the game. Loved the True Ending episode, for example.

I think the King's Game is one of the only scenes I didn't like, even.

772.jpg

I didnt mind the kings game scene in the anime in the context that it was in a fanservice anime. If it went down like that in the game, I would have thought it was dumb.

Finally getting into some of the higher level persona. The 'transfer your skills at will' + magician card takes out a bit of the fun of getting the top tier persona, since many of their skills I can easily get by fusion->transfer, so the excitement of getting some higher tier skills is a bit diminished. Mind charge+ megidolaon? You mean, the skills I have had since the steamy bath house? (thanks to a botched fusion, but anyways)

Troll mode (but I sincerely believe so): after extensive youtube comparisons... New Chie >>> Old Chie.

Necrovex

I just got to the second hot spring scene. My mind wasn't prepared for such filth. I thought Dantis was exaggeration about that scene....I was mistaken.

I didnt mind the kings game scene in the anime in the context that it was in a fanservice anime. If it went down like that in the game, I would have thought it was dumb.

It works in the anime because of the lighter and goofier tone in the show. The game lacks that same tone, so when something like pure fanservice happens, it feels out of place.

Dantis

It was dumb in the game too. The only characters who weren't out of character were Teddie, Yosuke and Naoto.

I just got to the second hot spring scene. My mind wasn't prepared for such filth. I thought Dantis was exaggeration about that scene....I was mistaken.

I love how it serves no purpose whatsoever. It's not even an amusing event, it's literally just for the pervier side of the fanbase.

As an aside, I didn't hate all of the new content in Golden. I liked the first bike scene, January and the epilogue. Most of the new stuff was just nothing to me. Just there.

There are only a handful of things I actively dislike.

Necrovex

I love how it serves no purpose whatsoever. It's not even an amusing event, it's literally just for the pervier side of the fanbase.

As an aside, I didn't hate all of the new content in Golden. I liked the first bike scene, January and the epilogue. Most of the new stuff was just nothing to me. Just there.

There are only a handful of things I actively dislike.

If that bath scene had a point, I may have not hated it as much, but it is just there to scream at me, "EVERYONE WHO ENJOYS PERSONA 4 SURELY LOVES (BARELY) NAKED HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS! HR HR HR HR!"

Also, fuck that boss fight. Everything about
Marie's
dungeon was shit from a gameplay perspective.

I am excited to see the epilogue, only one more dungeon!
My mind is falling apart from putting in near 60 hours within a week span.

magawolaz

First time playing the game.

I'm currently on November December 2011
, or should I say March 2012...? I remember reading somewhere that in Golden there was no timeskip; in fact, I saw some winter-screenshot, with snow and stuff...
Am I missing something here? :/

Dantis

First time playing the game.

I'm currently on November 2011
, or should I say March 2012...? I remember reading somewhere that in Golden there was no timeskip; in fact, I saw some winter-screenshot, with snow and stuff...
Am I missing something here? :/

You got the bad ending.

Tamanon

Banned
Started my New Game + after the Accomplice ending. Great to see that the costumes carry over also. Get to go into battle in my Cheer outfit which looks surprisingly badass for Yu.

So I have been spending a lot of time at the
hospital with Sayoko cause I just can't help myself. If I pursue that social link for to long it won't have a negative impact on my Yukiko S.Link will it?

Also are there certain dates in the game I should keep saves in order to go back to that have a big impact on the ending?

hospital with Sayoko cause I just can't help myself. If I pursue that social link for to long it won't have a negative impact on my Yukiko S.Link will it?
Youre good to go, just bring some cover.

December 3rd is the most important date

Noi

What do you think? ;D

Real answer: No.

Hehe thanks guys. I appreciate the date as well I'll keep a save there.
Also I love Kanji. He is so well written, dude cracks me up constantly.

Jintor

There's a lot of stuff that 'serves no purpose', but in reality it's mostly group bonding stuff meant to endear the rest of the cast together and make it so it seems like the cast has some good chemistry. The King's Game is also supposed to serve to let Naoto get to know the group a little better, and to contrast his attitude about the case against everybody's 'WOOHOO WE'RE DONE' attitude at the time (even if the player knows, because the game is continuing, that they're not)

Personally the scene would have been improved if they had just gotten wasted and weren't 'drunk off the atmosphere', but they're 15 or 16 or whatever so that sucks I guess?

Squire

Banned
I think you're a little harsh on the King's Game event, Dantis. You say the scene serves no purpose, but it very much does.

This is at a point where the current investigation team had gone through a lot and achieved the ultimate level of comfort between friends; they're essentially family. It's on display and Nao sits outside of it. Up until that point you get hints or the impression (or at least the team does) that she's just stuck up and full of herself, but the King's Game shines a light on how very socially awkward and misplaced she really is.

The scene is brilliant. It's one of my favorites in the game.

Jintor

I thought for the longest time that Persona was a very clumsy, obvious game, especially in relation to character's internal problems and their shadows, but it took me a while to realise that for a lot of characters the Shadows are only the beginning of them learning to accept themselves for who they are. In the same vein, a lot of the 'cheese' events that serve no purpose aren't just pure fanservice, but are part of the bonding process between party members, paced to either cause a lull in tension before some major event or to chill out after a rescue. Unfortunately, some of the Golden Content is badly placed for this purpose, probably most notably the band event, and some of it goes overboard, the second bathhouse scene in particular.

Squire

Banned
I agree. I think there's definitely fan service in the game, but there's mostly just character building. Games rarely, rarely spend this much time developing their characters, having them get to know each other and in turn allowing the player to do the same.

And I love those "no pressure" lulls. You need those. The number one reason I love the game's tone so much is because by creating the highest of highs, the lows are that much lower. The darker scenes in P4 I don't think would be as palpable in a game that was always and consistently dreary. It establishes a comfort zone for the player. Every time I was pulled out of that, I felt it.

Dresden

You can 'build character' with some taste to it. And the writing is clumsy, especially near the conclusion of each arc. It's a game that could do well by saying less.

I agree. I think there's definitely fan service in the game, but there's mostly just character building. Games rarely, rarely spend this much time developing their characters, having them get to know each other and in turn allowing the player to do the same.

And I love those "no pressure" lulls. You need those. The number one reason I love the game's tone so much is because by creating the highest of highs, the lows are that much lower. The darker scenes in P4 I don't think would be as palpable in a game that was always and consistently dreary. It establishes a comfort zone for the player. Every time I was pulled out of that, I felt it.

One of the things I was actually talking with a friend about the other day was how fan service-y the game feels; Golden more so, but the original as well. It's odd, because you typically expect fan service to be found in spin-offs or other derivative works, whereas Persona 4 packs that feeling into the original product itself.

The game, simply by virtue of its length, manages to develop not only the main cast as a group, but also each member and their relationship with the protagonist. We both sort of agreed that it's unfair to label what P4 does as fan-service, and that it only feels that way because it develops the cast of characters far more than most, if not all, other games out today. P4 gets its fan-service feel by nature of not falling in line with the status quo. It's rare in videos games that you feel like all of the characters you interact with have a personality and story that extends beyond the core plot of the game.

Kazzy

In tying up those loose ends (Compendium, skill cards, etc), I have found myself severely over-levelled.

Enough is enough, especially as my team of Persona to take on the Pokemon League final boss are verging on the ridiculous. Pretty much decked them out for a NG+, so there is:

I have a wealth of skill cards, so I may just mess around with them a little more.

Squire

Banned
One of the things I was actually talking with a friend about the other day was how fan service-y the game feels; Golden more so, but the original as well. It's odd, because you typically expect fan service to be found in spin-offs or other derivative works, whereas Persona 4 packs that feeling into the original product itself.

The game, simply by virtue of its length, manages to develop not only the main cast as a group, but also each member and their relationship with the protagonist. We both sort of agreed that it's unfair to label what P4 does as fan-service, and that it only feels that way because it develops the cast of characters far more than most, if not all, other games out today. P4 gets its fan-service feel by nature of not falling in line with the status quo. It's rare in videos games that you feel like all of the characters you interact with have a personality and story that extends beyond the core plot of the game.

I think you and your friend nailed it, yeah. It's very foreign to video games, the care Atlus has taken in these characters; the detail that's gone into them. I think it's easy to immediately judge a lot of it as fan-service, because as an audience, that's what we're so typically served. So much so, we've grown to expect it.

Dresden

It feels fanservice-y because those events there to let you know that, somewhere behind the endless, cynical number-punching of social links there's still a group and within that group are people who are supposed to be friends with each other.

But as with a lot of things in the game, it feels overdone at times; those scenes aren't there for development, they exist as confirmations of whatever prior dynamics they achieved before.

It's why the best scenes are still those where they're just at school, or eating ramen, or even the incidental banter when you meet them in dungeons or near school.

In tying up those loose ends (Compendium, skill cards, etc), I have found myself severely over-levelled.
Level 99 party!

Enough is enough, especially as my team of Persona to take on the Pokemon League final boss are verging on the ridiculous. Pretty much decked them out for a NG+, so there is:

I have a wealth of skill cards, so I may just mess around with them a little more.

mah gawd

I think having both debilitate and heat riser on a single persona is a waste, though, but otherwise, gg. And for your hamamudo spammer you should consider leveling up an Alice for Die for Me.

Necrovex

I DID IT! It only took me a week to complete Persona 4 Golden. I logged in 61 hours. I loved the epilogue, it make the game feel more complete than the original version. It was easily my favorite addition.

It feels a little weird that I completed Persona 4 Golden on my final break before I finish school. When the original came out, it was my very first winter break for my undergraduate. This was a good way to close out my last undergraduate winter break.

There's a lot of stuff that 'serves no purpose', but in reality it's mostly group bonding stuff meant to endear the rest of the cast together and make it so it seems like the cast has some good chemistry. The King's Game is also supposed to serve to let Naoto get to know the group a little better, and to contrast his attitude about the case against everybody's 'WOOHOO WE'RE DONE' attitude at the time (even if the player knows, because the game is continuing, that they're not)

Personally the scene would have been improved if they had just gotten wasted and weren't 'drunk off the atmosphere', but they're 15 or 16 or whatever so that sucks I guess?

But the bathscene did serve NO purpose. No character development or plot development. It came out of nowhere. It literally served no purpose rather than pandering to a certain crowd. And hell, I love fanservice, and I was disgusted by it.

Noi

I DID IT! It only took me a week to complete Persona 4 Golden. I logged in 61 hours. I loved the epilogue, it make the game feel more complete than the original version. It was easily my favorite addition.

It feels a little weird that I completed Persona 4 Golden on my final break before I finish school. When the original came out, it was my very first winter break for my undergraduate. This was a good way to close out my last undergraduate winter break.

I'm only at Secret Base and sitting at 55 hours. ._. I blame V. Hard.

Congrats though!

Jintor

But the bathscene did serve NO purpose. No character development or plot development. It came out of nowhere. It literally served no purpose rather than pandering to a certain crowd. And hell, I love fanservice, and I was disgusted by it.

The second one, absolutely agreed. It was a clumsy hamfisted attempt to get Marie even more 'in' with the group (in addition to the already clumsy, hamfisted attempts that was her entire s.link... even if some of it did kind of work... sub-buttle as it was not), but even that could have worked if they hadn't set it in a fucking bathhouse.

Fuck they should've just taken her skiing.

Kazzy

mah gawd

I think having both debilitate and heat riser on a single persona is a waste, though, but otherwise, gg. And for your hamamudo spammer you should consider leveling up an Alice for Die for Me.

I had those on multiple Persona but I just wanted to consolidate my Persona slots for NG+. I rarely use heat riser anyway, it's just that I can't stand to throw away some of the 'best' skills. Izanagi actually has it as a card so there is always that fallback if I wish to revisit it.

Having the ultimate light/dark spells is a bit overblown, in my opinion. They are never really needed and the boosts mean the current spells hit about 95% of the time.

Necrovex

I'm only at Secret Base and sitting at 55 hours. ._. I blame V. Hard.

Congrats though!

I go through JRPGs in a very quick manner.

The second one, absolutely agreed. It was a clumsy hamfisted attempt to get Marie even more 'in' with the group (in addition to the already clumsy, hamfisted attempts that was her entire s.link... even if some of it did kind of work... sub-buttle as it was not), but even that could have worked if they hadn't set it in a fucking bathhouse.

Fuck they should've just taken her skiing.

Yeah, I'm referring to the second bath house scene, I was fine with the original one.
When everyone was saying goodbye to the MC, Naoto said someone was missing and I had no idea who she was referring to until Marie's name popped up.

True ending spoilers:
Oh yeah, Kanji, man. His new looks, I will never adjust to his new look.

Kazzy

Yeah, but so is hitting lvl99. :p All about min-maxing to the utmost.

That was just a nice pay-off after finishing the compendium, well as much as I can do in this playthrough (97%).

I might just go and destroy the Reaper now, but that just seems mean!

Jintor

I have a compulsion to have the phys/mag reflect spells on god damn everybody

it's not very useful, but that's why it's a compulsion!

Kazzy

I did like collecting certain sets of skills together too. Much of my compendium is filled out this way, with certain Persona registered specifically for fusing, should I ever want to pass on a whole set.

Up-fusing through a specific arcana always make any Persona ridiculously versatile!

Noi

Every time I fuse a persona with a null X skill to make one that has it natively so I shouldn't pass it on, I die a little inside.

Dantis

Actually, I was saying that the second bath house scene served no purpose. Not the King's Game. :p

Let's not give it too much credit though, the King's Game doesn't build anything. It's nonsensical and dumb, with characters acting completely opposed to themselves. I suppose the purpose it serves is to give context for Naoto to join the group. I think I wouldn't have minded as much if they were drinking alcohol. As it is, they weren't, so it was just weird.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post. I can't be bothered to fix it. It's still directed at you. :p

Squire

Banned
Actually, I was saying that the second bath house scene served no purpose. Not the King's Game. :p

Let's not give it too much credit though, the King's Game doesn't build anything. It's nonsensical and dumb, with characters acting completely opposed to themselves. I suppose the purpose it serves is to give context for Naoto to join the group. I think I wouldn't have minded as much if they were drinking alcohol. As it is, they weren't, so it was just weird.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong post. I can't be bothered to fix it. It's still directed at you. :p

No worries! Also: I disagree entirely :)

Dresden

Every time I fuse a persona with a null X skill to make one that has it natively so I shouldn't pass it on, I die a little inside.

For a while I kept a google doc with a list of just what persona kept each important passive in my compendium. Then I learned to stop worrying.

Jintor

They act pretty much exactly how I would expect them to act
if they actually were drunk, which they weren't... I just assume they got Risette the good stuff they hid away in the back

On a side note, I read somewhere that Risette having her secret show cancelled a year or two back matches up with some blackout event in Persona 3, dat true?

Kazzy

On a side note, I read somewhere that Risette having her secret show cancelled a year or two back matches up with some blackout event in Persona 3, dat true?

It is the full moon event from P3 she references, yes.
The one where you fight the shadow underneath the club, which causes the power to cut out. It's the same night she performs the concert.

Necrovex

I blame the placebo effect on why some of the characters acted drunk. Though, it would have been better if alcohol was involved.

Dantis

No worries! Also: I disagree entirely :)

THEN I SHALL FLY OVER TO AMERICA AND FIGHT YOU.

But seriously, you don't think it would be better if they were drunk? It breaks the context for me. Why would they act like that otherwise?

I blame the placebo effect on why some of the characters acted drunk. Though, it would have been better if alcohol was involved.

I guess. Doesn't really justify it though.

It's August and I haven't fished yet. Is that okay?

I fished once on my playthrough of vanilla P4, and that's it. It's a waste of time, really.

Top Bottom