• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Do you guys use a guide or no?

I played P3 FES without one, but looking back I missed a shit ton and didn't manage to max out many social links. I'm around 30 hours into P4 and I'm tempted to start using a walkthrough. Yes, no, blasphemy?

Squire

Banned
Do you guys use a guide or no?

I played P3 FES without one, but looking back I missed a shit ton and didn't manage to max out many social links. I'm around 30 hours into P4 and I'm tempted to start using a walkthrough. Yes, no, blasphemy?

Don't. You don't wanna go through that game ( or P3 for that matter) just focusing on trying to do everything. It's nigh impossible on your first run anyhow. Just let it flow; take it easy. Guides and maxing all the S.Links is for New Game+ :)

hao chi

Hey guys, a kick question. Is the Persona 4 animation series worth getting?

It's $36 per collection on Amazon, which isn't too bad. If you want though, you can just watch it on Hulu for free. You can also check the description in this Youtube vid for a link to the very last episode that was released later, and isn't on Hulu yet (most of the other episodes I checked have half the episode with no sound because of copyright claims, but the last ep is still good).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1bYSlAbRLI

Lusankya

So, what's the best (most informative) review of Persona 4 golden that a friend of mine could read? He doesn't know anything about the series, so it shouldn't be written like a huge comparison to P4 Vanilla or Persona 3, but instead explain everything for newcomers.

So, what's the best (most informative) review of Persona 4 golden that a friend of mine could read? He doesn't know anything about the series, so it shouldn't be written like a huge comparison to P4 Vanilla or Persona 3, but instead explain everything for newcomers.

Heres my review:
Yes, it's THAT good.
Feel free to let your friend read it.

I don't know how to answer your question :(

Man whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

I just defeated the Big Eyeball of Doom and the game timeskips straight to Christmas. So is the game telling me I shouldn't have done that till the last possible minute and spend the days before christmas upping social links ect. instead? Who designed this! Boo! I'm not gonna do that insane boss again! :(

Man whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

I just defeated the Big Eyeball of Doom and the game timeskips straight to Christmas. So is the game telling me I shouldn't have done that till the last possible minute and spend the days before christmas upping social links ect. instead? Who designed this! Boo! I'm not gonna do that insane boss again! :(

One of the biggest flaws in this game design wise. The game teaches you to do the exact opposite every other dungeon, and change it without warning or even a mention for that one. Lame.

One of the biggest flaws in this game design wise. The game teaches you to do the exact opposite every other dungeon, and change it without warning or even a mention for that one. Lame.

AFAIK I can't even come up for ANY reason to do that. Why not just continue normally? Someone was drunk when they designed this.

Oh well I need to do another fast playthrough anyway to get platinum ^^. I don't think I could have managed full S.Links anyway. Is there some tips for the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy?

Heysoos

So, I bought this game on a whim. I had basically given up on the Vita, so I kinda regretted it as soon as I clicked buy on Amazon. I'm glad I took a chance. This is the most I've played my Vita in one sitting, since it's release. Wish it was hyperbole, but my Vita was basically in it's case, stuck in a drawer since release, none of the games ever held my attention until now.

Everything seems to be going fine, I'm in the first dungeon atm. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for, or what should I be looking to strengthen my parties, or something that I should get a feel for? I've been playing around with combat on the first floor. Are those cards that you get for like, Extra XP for that fight only? If so, which cards should I focus on getting during the card shuffle thing?

So, I bought this game on a whim. I had basically given up on the Vita, so I kinda regretted it as soon as I clicked buy on Amazon. I'm glad I took a chance. This is the most I've played my Vita in one sitting, since it's release. Wish it was hyperbole, but my Vita was basically in it's case, stuck in a drawer since release, none of the games ever held my attention until now.

Everything seems to be going fine, I'm in the first dungeon atm. Is there anything I should keep an eye out for, or what should I be looking to strengthen my parties, or something that I should get a feel for? I've been playing around with combat on the first floor. Are those cards that you get for like, Extra XP for that fight only? If so, which cards should I focus on getting during the card shuffle thing?

It's for that fight only for bonus XP or money. Well you can focus pretty much on anything you want/need. There are some really good cards that you shouldn't skip tho, for example the ones that make your persona instantly gain a level or stats.

Another tip would be try to raise the S.Links of your party members since they gain new abilities that way. Otherwise it is pretty smooth sailing.

Also don't worry about the quests. They give crap for rewards.

Edit:
''Kodiak arrest''
uggggggggggggggggh.

omgkitty

So I finally decided to dive back into this game and had a couple of questions. I've been following a guide, but something has been bugging me. Everywhere I've read, it tells you to take a persona of the same arcana as the person you are doing a social link with, but I can't quite figure out what it does. From what I understand, there are certain questions you can answer correctly, and if you have the persona with you, you get the maximum amount of points for that encounter? Is there some sort of invisible counter or something that determines when you will reach the next s.link level?

I had one last night where I didn't have a persona of that type, and I was actually asked fewer questions than the guide said I would be, but I still leveled up. This also leads me into asking if there are some days towards the end of the game that are basically free to finish stuff up? I know you can complete the game a good bit ahead of the last day in the game, and wanted to make sure in case I messed up somewhere.

Wut got a scooter. The event was pretty hilarious.

These outfits in this town is pretty expensive :/

Btw I remember seeing in a trailer way back where you can use scooter in combat, how does that work?

Anyhow just got kanji, is he any good in this? Don't remember him being that great on ps2. Curious if he was rebalanced.

Also we're there always slink skills personas can get before by lvling up slink with main party guys? Don't remember them.

Jintor

Yeah, there's basisically an invisible counter that counts towards the next S.link level and you get extra points if you have a matching persona with you.

Golden adds a couple of days free time. Used to be you needed to stick to a schedule, but between the extra days and a bunch of night Inaba stuff you are a bit freer. Still got to watch the clock though since s.link levels ups can only happen at certain times, depending on the link.

MooMoo

What triggers a persona to be registered for the first time in your compendium? Is selecting the card during shuffle time enough to do this? Or do you actually have to give a party spot up before it becomes registered for the first time?

Edit: Also, if a party member passes out, do they still get exp at the end of the battle?

Trigger

Having a hard time reading Marie. Always seem to pick the wrong dialogue choice :/

It doesn't matter too much with her. There are a few scenes where no answer choice yields extra points IIRC.

What triggers a persona to be registered for the first time in your compendium? Is selecting the card during shuffle time enough to do this? Or do you actually have to give a party spot up before it becomes registered for the first time?

It has to join your roster. You can dismiss after shuffle ends, but not before if you want it in the compendium.

Edit: Also, if a party member passes out, do they still get exp at the end of the battle?

I don't think so, but it's been forever since I touched my copy of Golden.

MooMoo

It has to join your roster. You can dismiss after shuffle ends, but not before if you want it in the compendium.

I don't think so, but it's been forever since I touched my copy of Golden.
Okay, that's what I figured...which means I pretty much lost a dungeon's worth of personas. Oh well :p

what are y'all's general approach of managing your days? I seem to find doing the S Links for party members the biggest priority for the actual gameplay perks and skills. Then... I pretty much just go with the flow. I try to push off doing dungeons until there is no S Links of interest of a certain day lol. It's jsut something about the gameplay in P3 and 4 that I really don't love. Probably has to do with the way how crits and weakness works. Also how Mc dies = game over. A bit too much reliance on luck :S

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
what are y'all's general approach of managing your days? I seem to find doing the S Links for party members the biggest priority for the actual gameplay perks and skills. Then... I pretty much just go with the flow. I try to push off doing dungeons until there is no S Links of interest of a certain day lol. It's jsut something about the gameplay in P3 and 4 that I really don't love. Probably has to do with the way how crits and weakness works. Also how Mc dies = game over. A bit too much reliance on luck :S

I pretty much did the same thing. Stick with the characters you are going to use in your party first, if available, then everyone else. Did the dungeons in one day as soon as they were opened.

Maybe i just suck... but how do y'all do dungeons in a day? I tend to do them in like 3 days. I seem to run out of mp around half way, and I like to be freshened up before the boss. I guess I could use fox, but I'm a cheapo, and I tend to barely have enough cash as it is trying to upgrade gear :(

I also tend to try to clean out a floor before going up...

Trigger

Maybe i just suck... but how do y'all do dungeons in a day? I tend to do them in like 3 days. I seem to run out of mp around half way, and I like to be freshened up before the boss. I guess I could use fox, but I'm a cheapo, and I tend to barely have enough cash as it is trying to upgrade gear :(

I also tend to try to clean out a floor before going up...

Efficiency. Most of us are vets, haha. When you've played the game before and know exactly what's coming there's less room for failure. I think once you hit October one day dungeon runs become much more feasible.

Are those extra bosses that appear at the top of finished dungeons worth doing? In terms of rewards.

Btw do weapon stats affect your personas skill damage?

Are those extra bosses that appear at the top of finished dungeons worth doing? In terms of rewards.

Btw do weapon stats affect your personas skill damage?

Yes, dungeon bonus bosses yield bonus weapons and accessories, most of which are good. don't forget to talk to Yosuke in the tv lobby to go back to the tv world shopping district as soon as it let's you to look for a good weapon for him, the Skill Spanners, and a quest item the Mori Ranmaru.

N30RYU

I finally couldn't resist to buy P1,2&3 for less than 30€ in the EU Store

PQkhJoe.jpg

Tips on the extra boss for kanji dungeon?

Always double attack super effective my main guy no matter what element I got :/

Think I needa invest in a light dark weakness guy...

But then he still kills off yukiko... Don't think I have a dude with ice wall :/

Lol gamefaq guides still bum you out. Req level for a dungeon 35. Shit I'm 19. :(

It's like that for every game lol.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Always double attack super effective my main guy no matter what element I got :/

But then he still kills off yukiko... Don't think I have a dude with ice wall :/

Lol gamefaq guides still bum you out. Req level for a dungeon 35. Shit I'm 19. :(

Yeah, don't do the extra bosses until you've at least unlocked the next two dungeons.

bah, why do new cast members start with shit equips :(

kanji's skills seem to be a bit different than before... but i still can't seem to find him to work in my party.... gah.

I never understood why in jrpgs or even western rpgs you can't design the game around to have the total amount of party members in your party at all times. Or just have 4 people, or do some kind of swappy thing like ffx.

What is the best way to get money (and stats) outside of dungeoning? Maybe I should get around to do those part time job s links...

What builds courage? Is it even possible to have enough courage for some of the dialogue choices early in the game?

What builds courage? Is it even possible to have enough courage for some of the dialogue choices early in the game?

Some books you can buy from the bookstore, working at a hospital, riding your scooter and finishing optional dungeons.

Also on some days eating at the chinese restaurant. On rainy days the special meal sometimes randomly boosts Courage (or any of the other stats).

What is the best way to get money (and stats) outside of dungeoning? Maybe I should get around to do those part time job s links...

Work S-Links are the best way probably to get money outside dungeons. Also don't be afraid of selling useless stuff.

Finally finished the game with true ending. The last 2 bosses were way easier than the one in december dungeon. Now to look at some guides and plan for the second fast playthrough and try to grab dat platinum.

Just gotta figure out if I wanna try to obtain Risette Fan trophy on my first playthrough save doing some dungeons. It is such a pain that there is no counter for it. I know I am missing ton of lines cause I haven't used Teddie or Kanji in battle at all for example.

The game itself was pretty gud.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Finally finished the game with true ending. The last 2 bosses were way easier than the one in december dungeon. Now to look at some guides and plan for the second fast playthrough and try to grab dat platinum.

Just gotta figure out if I wanna try to obtain Risette Fan trophy on my first playthrough save doing some dungeons. It is such a pain that there is no counter for it. I know I am missing ton of lines cause I haven't used Teddie or Kanji in battle at all for example.

The game itself was pretty gud.

You're probably better off trying to get it on the first playthrough save. Try swapping in weaker characters in the later dungeons and scan the shit out of enemies, even if you already have, sometimes she gives different info which adds to it.

Wichu

I got this game nearly a week ago, and it's been sucking up all of my free time (in the evenings, got to build Social Links with IRL friends during the day). It's the first Persona game I've really gotten into; I have the PSP versions of 2 and 3, but didn't get very far.

I'm at the
Void Quest
dungeon after getting
Rise and Teddie
. Is
Rise
worth leveling? Her Persona abilities don't seem as good in battle as the rest of the team...

Also, I've stuck with the original Izanagi for pretty much the whole game so far. I know I should be using something else, but it just feels... right. I should probably teach him some new skills, though (still running with
upgraded versions of
the five skills he learns).

Guess Who

Banned
I'm at the
Void Quest
dungeon after getting
Rise and Teddie
. Is
Rise
worth leveling? Her Persona abilities don't seem as good in battle as the rest of the team...

Whaaaaat? In Golden Rise's S-link abilities will make the game practically easy mode. Super useful. She'll randomly buff you, block attacks for you, give you HP/SP if you're low...

Wichu

Whaaaaat? In Golden Rise's S-link abilities will make the game practically easy mode. Super useful. She'll randomly buff you, block attacks for you, give you HP/SP if you're low...

Derp.
I didn't realise she provides passive support rather than being a normal team member that you put into your party. She makes way more sense now.

I beat it with the MC at level 28, it's not that hard, just don't have the MC with
ice
weakness, he will target Yukiko all the time at least that was my case.

Dont know what it is but I just cant get into this game, I know its great and should give it more time but all the social stuff, personas and fusing, I dont know, just not for me I guess.

Dont know what it is but I just cant get into this game, I know its great and should give it more time but all the social stuff, personas and fusing, I dont know, just not for me I guess.

You don't have to do the fusing stuff like, at all if you don't want to. I think I used the fusing 2 times for real in my first playthrough and the other time was right at the end to get a good persona for endgame bosses.

If you don't like the social stuff at all and managing them then I can understand.

Foshy

What's the difference between P2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment? Completely different games or is the PSP one just a remake?

Top Bottom