• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

PK Gaming

Absolutely. Are you going male or female protag for your first time around? If male be sure to max out your Academics so you can mack on Mitsuru. Also Junpei is the best character in the series, so use him whenever you can.

Female Protag

Anything that I should know about, prior to playing the game?

Female Protag

Anything that I should know about, prior to playing the game?

Fine choice. She's a better character than Male protag IMO.

Tips:

Go to Paulownia Mall anytime you don't have a Social Link available (at night, too) to increase one of your three social stats (Charm, Academics and Courage).

Prioritize the Emperor, Star and Magician Social Links if you can, because their Ultimate Persona are mad OP.

Study this. There are many more status changes than in 4.

If you want to pursue a romantic relationship with Akihiko somebody, it's not just as simple as telling them you love them at Level 8/9. Flatter them throughout the link, and say things that you think they'd like to hear (i.e. "You're charming").

Never go to sleep in class. Academics is crazy hard to boost, so you need every bit you can.

Try to go for 1 miniboss every time you enter Tartarus so you can focus on raising attributes and night S. Links instead.

Worship Junpei like the god that he is, and talk to and reassure him every night in the dorm in November to get a bonus scene in January.

Those are some fine tips, thanks man

i'm in for a treat, aren't I :D

Indeed you are. It never reaches the heights of P4, but it's still dang good and really friggin' emotional at times.

Also all this P3 talk made me just buy one of these:

p3p.jpg

I am very strongly considering going as Junpei for FanExpo Toronto this year.

Verelios

Indeed you are. It never reaches the heights of P4, but it's still dang good and really friggin' emotional at times.

p3p.jpg

As you should my man. He was in my party for the entire game (okay, other than like 2 sections and when I went solo post game.)

His Crit chance is crazy! Give Junpei a little room and he'll just wail on anything--such a physical beast.

Thank you kindly :)

Useless trivia is kind of my thing.

Other fun fact: The kanji on the back of the Shirt of Chivalry costume in 3 changes to match the character, such as becoming "色" for Junpei, meaning either "Colour" or "Sexual desire."

What are they for Akihiko and MC? Also, does the FeMC get a yukata or something? Or the same jinbei the guys wear?

What are they for Akihiko and MC? Also, does the FeMC get a yukata or something? Or the same jinbei the guys wear?

Protag's is "漢" (honour), and Akihiko's is "闘" (fight).

Character spoilers:

Ken's and Shinji's are "怨" and "命" ("grudge" and "fate" respectively), fittingly enough.

The female characters unfortunately have no equivalent, instead getting borderline creepy costumes like the Battle Panties, Maid Costumes and bikinis.

Male characters also have some very classy tuxedos (including a top hat for Junpei and a bowtie for Koro-chan) and sports uniforms, and both sexes have their Winter/Summer casual wear. The female protag's winter outfit (the Angora sweater) is so adorable that I kept using it long after it stopped being useful. Seriously, look at this stuff:

persona3portable-top.jpg

I adore FeMC is general. Yu and Minato are fine and good, but her positivity is infectious and she's voiced by Laura Bailey, whom I have an unhealthy obsession with.

Ugh, I need to play that P3P. So tempted to get a big card and get all of the Persona games from PSN on the Vita.

Also, FeMC uses a naginata which is some like Tomoe Gozen badassery <3

Tamanon

Banned

p3p.jpg

Still wear my Junpei hat. Seem to get asked what high school it's for a lot.

Oh shit, no way! Like the Tomoe Gozen or Suzuka (Darth Maul) version?

As cool as Suzuka Gozen's would have been, it's the vanilla Tomoe version. It's called the "Beam Naginata," and is described as a "legendary weapon from the future." It's obtained through an easy fetch quest given by Liz/Theo, so it's not hard to obtain, either.

Hello Everyone! I have a dilemma that you might be able to help with!

Persona 4 Golden is $29.99 at Gamestop starting 3/20.
I want to play it, but won't be able to get to it until summer. Should I buy it now with the Gamestop credit I have or do you think there is a chance of a better digital or retail sale coming within the next two or so months? (note that I am a PS+ member, so I have that going for me)

Also, is the retail version cool, or is the digital version the way to go?
Final question: any chance of this game ever being a PS+ freebie?

Thank you!

Hello Everyone! I have a dilemma that you might be able to help with!

Persona 4 Golden is $29.99 at Gamestop starting 3/20.
I want to play it, but won't be able to get to it until summer. Should I buy it now with the Gamestop credit I have or do you think there is a chance of a better digital or retail sale coming within the next two or so months? (note that I am a PS+ member, so I have that going for me)

Also, is the retail version cool, or is the digital version the way to go?
Final question: any chance of this game ever being a PS+ freebie?

Thank you!

I doubt that this will become free for PS+ and I swear by physical media whenever possible :)

PK Gaming

Playing through P3

So far
-All of the characters are really likeable! I was expecting a downgrade from P4, but I really like the P3 team
-Orpheus (FeMC's Persona) is laaaaaaaaame. That thing that showed up in the beginning is cool
-So um... P4 had massives P3 references and I didn't realize it! From the costumes (The P4 characters can wear the Gekkou high outfit and even use their win animations) to the music, back when you visted Gekkou high for a few days... I can't believe P3 & P4 take place within the same time period
-Should fixate on maxing my SL's efficiently and as soon as possible?

Overall though, P3 owns &#9829;

Playing through P3

So far
-All of the characters are really likeable! I was expecting a downgrade from P4, but I really like the P3 team
-Orpheus (FeMC's Persona) is laaaaaaaaame. That thing that showed up in the beginning is cool
-So um... P4 had massives P3 references and I didn't realize it! From the costumes (The P4 characters can wear the Gekkou high outfit and even use their win animations) to the music, back when you visted Gekkou high for a few days... I can't believe P3 & P4 take place within the same time period
-Should fixate on maxing my SL's efficiently and as soon as possible?

Overall though, P3 owns &#9829;

Glad you're liking it so far. I'll address your comments/concerns:

-Yeah, I love P3's cast. They're all great in their own ways, especially Junpei (who I'm quite obviously a huge fan of). Seriously, Vic Mignona deserves a medal for his voicework in that role.
-Orpheus is kind of meh, but it's cool because it has gender dimorphism (it looks different depending on the MC's gender) and it can visually evolve into one of two Ultimate Persona late in the game.
-Isn't it great? I love Yosuke's victory pose while wearing the Gekkou uniform; it's so fitting. Also, since P3P was made after P4, keep an eye out for some call-forwards (and be sure to attend the sports fellowship in the summer!).
-Max those that you're most interested in first, as S. Links don't offer anything but EXP boosts and new fusion possibilities (Awakened Personae are obtained automatically through the story). Try to get the Emperor one done soon though, as Odin is incredibly overpowered in this game.

Whew, that was a load. Keep on keepin' on, buddy!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow this game is ridiculously easy. I know some of you guys mentioned that the card shuffle gave out stat points, but holy shit I thought that would be rarer. Persona 4 was a lot harder than this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's okay to feel OP moejita

I do Jintor I do. I'm level 25 and I'm still in the princess dungeon.

The only thing that was hard was doing the extra boss in the dungeon at an early level. His rampage is basically an insta-kill no matter what. I lost to him and was ready to load the game again, mad that I had lost some time leveling and getting loot, but then it asked me if I wanted to restart at that floor. lol wut!

Akito

So I heard that the PAL version has a separate trophy set to the US one? Can anyboy confirm this? I might have double dip in this case.

So I heard that the PAL version has a separate trophy set to the US one? Can anyboy confirm this? I might have double dip in this case.

Raptr indeed seems to treat the two different copies as different games with unique trophy sets, so I think this is true.

Arkain

Is it worth getting a Vita for this game alone? Alternatively, are there more good RPGs in the Vita pipeline that I might not have heard about yet?

I never played the original Persona 4 and the game looks really great. I've been looking for a good jRPG to play for a while. Problem is that, taking a look at the current Vita library, this is literally the only game that interests me.

Where can Naoto be found if I want to raise his s.link?

Also when and where can the quest for the fishing trophy be found (I think someone said it's tied to a quest)?

Where can Naoto be found if I want to raise his s.link?

Also when and where can the quest for the fishing trophy be found (I think someone said it's tied to a quest)?
First floor of the school

Its part of the fox's social link. His last quest. First youll need to unlock access to the beach with your scooter

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fine choice. She's a better character than Male protag IMO.

Naaaah.

Male Protag > Female Protag

*raises anti-tomatoes-throwing + anti-booing shield*

Besides, if he wants to play P4G afterwards it would better for him to pick Male Protag because as far as continuity is concerned his story is the one the game universe considered cannon (as far as cannon goes Female Protag may as well not exist)

What the heck? Naotos VA in battles is baaaaaaaaaad.

Not gonna replace Yosuke for that!

Naoto + Mahamaon/Mamudoon + Megidoloan w/Mind Charge= 10 second battles in the late game

or

Yosuke Strike's silly animation and stats that don't go higher than mid/upper 60s

I'm gonna have to go with Naoto. She gets Garudyne (which is the only reason to have Yosuke in battles) and Heat Riser and her offensive stats are better (STR, MAG, and AGI) and improve with the weapon you find in her dungeon's boss room (gives +5 to all stats). Plus, her weapon is a gun.
Yosuke can come in on his scooter to help out sometimes, too, but he's only good in the early game.

Yeah, her voice is bad, but her positives outweigh this.

Naoto + Mahamaon/Mamudoon + Megidoloan w/Mind Charge= 10 second battles in the late game

or

Yosuke Strike's silly animation and stats that don't go higher than mid/upper 60s

I'm gonna have to go with Naoto. She gets Garudyne (which is the only reason to have Yosuke in battles) and Heat Riser and her offensive stats are better (STR, MAG, and AGI) and improve with the weapon you find in her dungeon's boss room (gives +5 to all stats). Plus, her weapon is a gun.
Yosuke can come in on his scooter to help out sometimes, too, but he's only good in the early game.

Yeah, her voice is bad, but her positives outweigh this.

Bros before bad VAs.

Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko all the way.

Damn I'm stuck at
the boss at the dungeon where you need to rescue Nanako. He just one shots the MC when the elemental powers go up. I guess I need to grind some more HP and get some anti magic abilities.

Damn I'm stuck at
the boss at the dungeon where you need to rescue Nanako. He just one shots the MC when the elemental powers go up. I guess I need to grind some more HP and get some anti magic abilities.

When it uses Quad Converge, have everyone guard and see what element he uses. Keep everyone who doesn't know attacks of that element on the defensive and spam -dyne spells with those who do.

After realizing my vita hasn't been touched for months, time to get back into this.

Gah how is it possible to do any of these quests without a guide, so vague info. And these class questions... I feel like the ps2 one had easier questions :(

When it uses Quad Converge, have everyone guard and see what element he uses. Keep everyone who doesn't know attacks of that element on the defensive and spam -dyne spells with those who do.

Got past it now. I fused a persona with magic reflect ability and used some items too (few with the same effect). I might have been a lil underleveled since Naoto was something like 10 levels over my party when he joined.

When I compare my S.Link ranks to the Persona compendium it seems I am still missing 1 S.Link entirely (justice). Where can dat be found?

Edit: lol no it's not justice since thats Nanako xd. Need to check again what I am missing.

Top Bottom