• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Yaweee

2DMention said:
Noooo.. There's so many other good RPGs to play. 50 hours on most games are pushing it for me...

Playing this game without pushing through the true ending is an utter travesty. All of the last boss fights are awesome, and not all that hard so you won't have to spend too much time leveling.

Joule said:
At least get the normal ending to fight the regular last boss.

There are no S. Link sections between the normal and true endings, AND the true boss is about the same level as the one preceding it, so I don't think there's any point not to put in the last two hours past the normal end.

Tamanon said:
At least watch the scenes after you start the path. When you walk out of
the hospital
, it's so damn heartwarming.:D

All of the scenes just after the various story branch points might be my favorite scenes out of any RPG. I've rarely been as enthralled by game.

Tamanon said:
At least watch the scenes after you start the path. When you walk out of
the hospital
, it's so damn heartwarming.:D

That was such a great scene. One of those little things in the game that just really gets you and gives such a warm feeling. Which was needed given all of the stuff that had preceded it.

Red Scarlet

It took longer to get Kaiwan's last abilities than the stuff I wanted on Matador..it is pretty nice when you get every ability you want put onto it. Makes up for the forever fuses.

Hooray!
p4044.png

I may put Repel Physical on some, but maybe just my main fighting ones. Right now I have a Flauros with some good fighting stuff; he's my one for when I want to bash things as hard as I can (like the gold hands).

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
It took longer to get Kaiwan's last abilities than the stuff I wanted on Matador..it is pretty nice when you get every ability you want put onto it. Makes up for the forever fuses.

Hooray!
p4044.png

I may put Repel Physical on some, but maybe just my main fighting ones. Right now I have a Flauros with some good fighting stuff; he's my one for when I want to bash things as hard as I can (like the gold hands).

Not even keeping Mahama on it for the Margaret quest?:(

Red Scarlet

I did that awhile ago and can make that whenever I want; I'm up to her 9th request and kept what I made in a text file I've been keeping for making her requests and other Personas with whatever abilities I want/had on them. I use Matador for the Black Frost one anyway (fusing him to make a Pyro Jack with Auto-Sukukaja), so it's not a big deal. I can buy the 3 I use to make him with Mahama no problem (Principality + Ippon-Datara + Jack Frost).

True Ending spoilers
This dungeon is fucking awesome. The design is just fantastic and the music is quite nice, rather different compared to what I was expecting. Though, the enemies aren't giving much experience thus far. I'm only at the 3rd floor.
I've learned that Trumpeter + Beelzebub = win.

2DMention said:
-I liked all the extra options for stuff to do outside of dungeon romping and S-Links
-Voice acting was top notch, especially for
Chie
-The tone of the game is very low-key. You're not overwhelmed by anime cliches like P3 or other RPGs.
-The pacing was great. You never get bored, you don't max stats and S-Links too fast like in P3. The game has as many dramatic moments as it does humor and tension.
-It's sad that the general public won't play or appreciate this game, because it truly stands out.

Yes. Yes. YES. Real drama, not melodrama, real funny situations and personality clashes, even fewer anime tropes than P3, and
Chie's English VA is lightyears ahead of the Japanese version.

In fact, nearing the end, the only real problems I have with it are mostly annoyances
unskippable cutscenes, too much and too repetitious chatter during combat, and a few pulled punches even though it was M (like the bumbling trying to convince us the players that 3 of the gang wasnt getting sloshedd at that club, etc).

Which reminds me, back to praise:
shit-faced Yukiko was fucking hilarious.

2DMention said:
Beat it. Just under 60 hours. Got the bad ending, which I'm surprisingly happy with. Watched the Good ending on youtube and have no idea what led up to it.
WTF? Nanako lived? How did that happen? Before you get the decision tree for the good/bad ending, she dies anyway, right?! And why do all the endings on youtube do the drama girl instead of the band girl?! IS there a separate cinema for the Band girl?

wait, you stopped at the bad ending? that like reading a book halfway and telling everybody you finished it. you dont deserve it!

SatelliteOfLove said:
In fact, nearing the end, the only real problems I have with it are mostly annoyances
unskippable cutscenes, too much and too repetitious chatter during combat, and a few pulled punches even though it was M (like the bumbling trying to convince us the players that 3 of the gang wasnt getting sloshedd at that club, etc).

Persona 4 is only rated CERO B ("Ages 12 and Up") in Japan. The reason the game doesn't feel M-rated otherwise is that it isn't; the ESRB just rates it that way because the religious themes are going to offend little old church ladies. (Nocturne is actually rated the equivalent of "All Ages" in Japan but M in the US.)

2DMention said:
Noooo.. There's so many other good RPGs to play.

Dude, you haven't beaten the game, period. Go finish what you started.

TChirath

Neo Member
SatelliteOfLove said:

Which reminds me, back to praise:
shit-faced Yukiko was fucking hilarious.

They did not pull any punch or change the translation in the club scene. In asian culture, that type of placebo effect is called "raw drunk" and it's a common joke and phenomenon that people encounter. Because many people in Asia (especially girls) are introverted, they sometimes use alcohol to bring out a more sociable side of them. Their friends then sometimes tease this as "raw drunk", implying that they use alcohol as an excuse to show this out-of-character side even when there's no or very little alcohol.

2DMention

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
wait, you stopped at the bad ending? that like reading a book halfway and telling everybody you finished it. you dont deserve it!

Yup. I played for 60 hours, I figured I had enough. And I was satifsfyed with the ending, much more so than P3's bad ending.

Tamanon

Banned
TChirath said:
They did not pull any punch or change the translation in the club scene. In asian culture, that type of placebo effect is called "raw drunk" and it's a common joke and phenomenon that people encounter. Because many people in Asia (especially girls) are introverted, they sometimes use alcohol to bring out a more sociable side of them. Their friends then sometimes tease this as "raw drunk", implying that they use alcohol as an excuse to show this out-of-character side.

It's basically like
People who pretend to get high. Or even think they're getting high.

2DMention said:
Yup. I played for 60 hours, I figured I had enough. And I was satifsfyed with the ending, much more so than P3's bad ending.

I'm just saying, you didn't beat the game, you picked a point that you were done with it and gave up. Don't claim otherwise.

Tamanon

Banned
Well, decided to play the game again, not using the guide or walkthroughs at all, so not even checking weaknesses beforehand, lol. Figured I'd go wacky and use a Kanji/Yukiko/Naoto party.

Clocking in at 96 hours, I finally beat this bad boy with the true ending. I really want to start the second cycle, but Nocturne beckons me.

Tamanon

Banned
Man....how did I not see the Auto Advance feature on the system menu? That's great for a replay if I don't want to hold down Triangle the whole time through a scene.:lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Tamanon said:
Man....how did I not see the Auto Advance feature on the system menu? That's great for a replay if I don't want to hold down Triangle the whole time through a scene.:lol

I think Auto-Advance just has the characters advance to the next dialog box during voice acting dialog so that you don't have to press X (or Triangle or O) when they are done speaking to advance. So it would just be quicker to keep on mashing triangle so that you cut off the voice actors in mid-sentence to the next dialog box.

Unless, I completely misunderstood the Auto Advance feature. I thought that's what it did when I used it a few times.

ninj4junpei said:
Clocking in at 96 hours, I finally beat this bad boy with the true ending. I really want to start the second cycle, but Nocturne beckons me.

Jeez. I couldn't play Persona and Nocturne back to back. I'm having to counter-program with Braid and N+ just to keep from losing my mind as it is. :lol

Tamanon said:

This is a pretty cool feature for them to have included, but I would trade it in a heartbeat for fully-skippable pre-boss dialogue sequences, a more advanced version of the battle targeting system, or making the L1 and R1 buttons reverse when you select "Reverse Camera" in the options menu.

Tamanon

Banned
Adam Prime said:
I think Auto-Advance just has the characters advance to the next dialog box during voice acting dialog so that you don't have to press X (or Triangle or O) when they are done speaking to advance. So it would just be quicker to keep on mashing triangle so that you cut off the voice actors in mid-sentence to the next dialog box.

Unless, I completely misunderstood the Auto Advance feature. I thought that's what it did when I used it a few times.

No, that's what it does.

You still have the option to hold triangle down if you want during it to skip right on through.

It's good if I'm also doing something else, like posting on GAF or something. Cooking dinner, even taking a piss while the dialogue continues.:lol

P90

charlequin said:
Persona 4 is only rated CERO B ("Ages 12 and Up") in Japan. The reason the game doesn't feel M-rated otherwise is that it isn't; the ESRB just rates it that way because the religious themes are going to offend little old church ladies. (Nocturne is actually rated the equivalent of "All Ages" in Japan but M in the US.)

Maybe you are playing a different game? Mine has people brutally murdered, f-bombs, s-bombs, and rather mature sexual themes. Can't see how most 12-year-olds can emotionally handle that. I'm not finding any big time anti-religion themes so far at 40 hours in. I sure hope P4 doesn't fall into the JRPG obsession with ignorantly bashing western faiths.

P90 said:
Maybe you are playing a different game? Mine has people brutally murdered, f-bombs, s-bombs, and rather mature sexual themes. Can't see how most 12-year-olds can emotionally handle that. I'm not finding any big time anti-religion themes so far at 40 hours in. I sure hope P4 doesn't fall into the JRPG obsession with ignorantly bashing western faiths.
Wait, what?

Damn, the Offical Works seems to be sold out everywhere. :(

Yeah, there's a dungeon set in a gay bath house and another set in a strip club. No way this game should be rated T. Especially since T seems to = PG in ESRB land, with M taking up PG-13 and R.

Also, am I the only one who's ad at the weird difficulty curve? The first miniboss and boss are so friggin difficult that I restarted on from hard mode to normal, and was really happy with the difficulty of the first boss and dungeon, but after trying to beat the first boss like 10 times before finally succeeding, I haven't been challenged by any of them since =(

P90 said:
Maybe you are playing a different game? Mine has people brutally murdered, f-bombs, s-bombs, and rather mature sexual themes.

P4 doesn't show the act of murder once, and only shows the victims after they're dead, with no blood, from a relative distance; it doesn't include the word "fuck" once (ask NichM, who posted to this effect here earlier), and in no way are questioning one's sexuality, adolescent flirting, or sexual intercourse hidden behind euphemisms and fade-to-black really that mature. Persona 4 is well within the realm of what would normally be rated "T" (in games) or "PG-13" (in movies), except for the religious stuff.

(Well, and maybe the boss battle in
Rise's dungeon
. Maybe.)

charlequin said:
P4 doesn't show the act of murder once, and only shows the victims after they're dead, with no blood, from a relative distance; it doesn't include the word "fuck" once (ask NichM, who posted to this effect here earlier), and in no way are questioning one's sexuality, adolescent flirting, or sexual intercourse hidden behind euphemisms and fade-to-black really that mature. Persona 4 is well within the realm of what would normally be rated "T" (in games) or "PG-13" (in movies), except for the religious stuff.

(Well, and maybe the boss battle in
Rise's dungeon
. Maybe.)

Flashes of the reporter being brutally abducted are shown. Saki Senpai is shown being strangled on many occasions on MTV by her shadow. A giant penis demon exists in the game. You can effectively murder Namatame in November. After a certain amount of time Kanji seems to never stop saying "shit". Hello Nurse! will give you a blowjob the first time you establish a social link with her.

I don't think the game should have a T rating. I think parents should be aware that they need to discuss the game with their kids.

KibblesBits said:
Flashes of the reporter being brutally abducted are shown. Saki Senpai is shown being strangled on many occasions on MTV by her shadow. A giant penis demon exists in the game. You can effectively murder Namatame in November. After a certain amount of time Kanji seems to never stop saying "shit". Hello Nurse! will give you a blowjob the first time you establish a social link with her.

I don't think the game should have a T rating. I think parents should be aware that they need to discuss the game with their kids.
Wow, I'm totally not remembering some of that. I'm talking about the
abduction and strangulation.

demifiend

I'm not too far in, but I've noticed a lack of shops in which I can buy... stuff. Stuff besides weapons and armor. Where can I buy medicines and things like that? Are they all from the soda machines? Am I totally missing something here?

demifiend said:
I'm not too far in, but I've noticed a lack of shops in which I can buy... stuff. Stuff besides weapons and armor. Where can I buy medicines and things like that? Are they all from the soda machines? Am I totally missing something here?
There's another store a little bit down from the armor shop. It's got the rusted capsule machines in front.

Tamanon

Banned
demifiend said:

Just north of the weapon shop is a pharmacy to buy your medicines and Goho-Ms. You'll see a vending machine outside it.

ashism

Man, this game is totally taunting me. On one floor with THREE golden chests. Not one chest key in my pocket.

WHYYYYY!?!

Yaweee

demifiend said:

You're totally missing the item shop two doors down from the weapon shop.

EDIT: LOL, beaten badly. Wasn't even close.

Yaweee said:
You're totally missing the item shop two doors down from the weapon shop.

EDIT: LOL, beaten badly. Wasn't even close.
And yet, all three of our descriptions gave different specific information, which should help.

P90 said:

It's ridiculous to think that a 12 year-old can't handle it. Not that I necessarily think this would appeal to the average 12 year-old, but a lot of people give kids far too little credit as to what they can handle. Harry Potter has numerous cases of murder, rather brutal torture, not to mention underage drinking and implied sex between two sixteen year-olds.

Persona 4 does deal with some relatively deep themes at times, but nothing that I would think any intelligent 12 or 13 year-old couldn't grasp.

Oh shat
Nanako
just got kidnapped. I didn't think it was possible, but this game has gotten even better in the last few hours. Incredible.

ashism said:
Man, this game is totally taunting me. On one floor with THREE golden chests. Not one chest key in my pocket.

WHYYYYY!?!

I always have chest keys, however the chests always give me the worst accessories ever. :(

Tamanon said:
Save your chest keys for the November dungeons onwards. Generally the items aren't worth the key early on.
Some of the later ones aren't so great either. :\ I was looking in the guide book and I have barely gotten a fifth of what the chests are supposed to contain in some of the later dungeons. The randomizing algorithm must suck.

Tamanon said:
Save your chest keys for the November dungeons onwards. Generally the items aren't worth the key early on.

I wish I had thought of that. Earlier on I always seemed to have at least 6 keys, but in the last couple of dungeons, I've had virtually nothing to work with, so I've had to leave several gold chests unopened.

One missed opportunity I feel in this game's story was for Kanji to sucker-punch someone before they say "YOU'RE NOT ME!!" to their shadow-self. :lol

I find it strange that no-one knows what that blinking purple eye icon is yet, not even Atlus USA.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
It's ridiculous to think that a 12 year-old can't handle it. Not that I necessarily think this would appeal to the average 12 year-old, but a lot of people give kids far too little credit as to what they can handle. Harry Potter has numerous cases of murder, rather brutal torture, not to mention underage drinking and implied sex between two sixteen year-olds.

Persona 4 does deal with some relatively deep themes at times, but nothing that I would think any intelligent 12 or 13 year-old couldn't grasp.

and yet, parents should still be involved in what their children are exposed to via various mediums. intelligence can lead to other unforseeable circumstances that adults should have a handle on regardless.

it just boils down to the fact that parents need to talk to their kids about things with mature themes and atlus and sony are covering their asses with good reason.

ninj4junpei said:
Some of the later ones aren't so great either. :\ I was looking in the guide book and I have barely gotten a fifth of what the chests are supposed to contain in some of the later dungeons. The randomizing algorithm must suck.

the treasure chests usually give me what i want, but i constantly reset dungeons via arcana shuffle or going to another dungeon and coming back. you can earn keys by running around and hunting gold shadows exclusively in old dungeons as well. often i find myself with duplicates of everything listed. and i'm actually more interested in unlocked treasure chests and the nice kaja and snuff and ointment items in those.

you have to be persistent, if you're only clocking around 60 hours or less in the game you're doing it wrong. very very wrong.

Top Bottom