• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

DevelopmentArrested said:
thanks boys. the story is really interesting so far.. just a little tedious like you said.

Once you're past the opening 2.5-3 hour stretch, it goes a lot faster. From that point on most cutscenes are relatively short, although there are a few longer ones (not on that level, though). Just make sure you have a snack with you before advancing the day to a school event/day fog sets in.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
DKnight said:
(endgame spoiler)
Adachi did it for the lulz, awesome :lol :lol :lol

... I still don't know how much I actually "like" how that endedup. When I found out I was "WTF SERIOUSLY?". I guess it's alright,
I was just hoping for something more diabolical than that. Either way, the True Ending had a more satisfying reason I suppose.

I just beat the game with the true ending. Oh wow. My first SMT game, and I really loved it. The only real snag along the way was that I got the bad ending first (I can't believe it's so easy to get, it just depresses you after all you went through). I was making the right choices too until I was asked
what was bothering me, and replied that he's scared.

Anyway, I was kind of worried going into the game with all I hear about how hard these games are compared to normal JRPGs, but I didn't have a problem on normal. There were a few bosses I needed to try a couple of times, which decreased as the game went on, and one time I was grinding away until I got insta-killed (I learned my lesson at that point and it didn't happen again). For me it was perfect in that it wasn't ridiculously brutal, but not easy either, at least if you aren't overleveled.

Maybe I just haven't played any newer RPGs in a while, but I thought the localization was superb. The battle system was ok, a bit addicting too, but I loved the game for the social stuff and cutscenes. Every big event that happened was so great, and I really liked all of the characters. Overall one of my top RPGs ever and one of my favourite PS2 games. Maybe I'll replay it someday in the future.

Seconded on the fantastic localization. And the sheer amount of text was ridiculous, they really had their job cut out for them.

I shudder to think how long it would have taken Working Designs! :lol

IMG00032.jpg

I have the P3 and P3FES OSTs on their way, as well. :D

Melhisedek said:
My backlog is killing me :( Courtesy of WoW but I've dropped that crack for now and want to clear out and experience as many games as I can that I've missed. I'm pretty damn sure I don't have time to finish two persona games so should I go for this one or FES?
I've read that this one is better and that it will be hard to go back to FES after playing 4...

Definitely do FES first, it is really hard to play it after P4, I did it. :( Also unless you have to complete the compendiums and the quests and max out all social links it won't take you anywhere near the times some people have posted, FES and P4 each took me around 40-50 hours.

After beating the true ending now...I think my favorite moments in the game were:

When you discover Hanako was the one putting the little treats in your shoe locker
When Ai is about to commit suicide
The final cutscene where everyone's crying and running after the train
Rise's Shadow Attack Animations (just ridiculously over-the-top)
"I'd Hit That!"

zoku88

diablopanqueque said:
After beating the true ending now...I think my favorite moments in the game were:

When you discover Hanako was the one putting the little treats in your shoe locker
I never noticed that, lol

firex

I just noticed earlier this morning that "Never More" (the song you can hear in the credits if you get the good/true ending) is basically a composite of
the song you hear when someone faces their shadow self and accepts their Persona, and the title screen music.
I knew the second song was part of it since that song is instantly recognizable, but I didn't even think about the first one.

TChirath

Neo Member
Splatt said:
Just started the game. Any tips?

Abuse the fusion forecast system (specifically "skill change" on June 24th, 27th, etc.) as much as possible. Some high rank skill (but not so broken) comes early (Tetrakarn for Kaiwan at LV 24). You can have it morph to very useful skills like Brave Blade or Victory Cry as early as Summer. Pass them along to your current roster and you can have very powerful personas very early in the game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Dark Oni said:
need some help last dungeon:

where do i go after i beat the 2nd mini boss in adaci dungeon on floor 6?

Are you talking about when you are supposed to
re-enter the dungeon at floor 1, go back to the floor with the pit that you dropped down (floor 2?), and go through the door that was blocked off previously?

Dark Oni

slayn said:
Are you talking about when you are supposed to
re-enter the dungeon at floor 1, go back to the floor with the pit that you dropped down (floor 2?), and go through the door that was blocked off previously?

yea thanks :D

noi5e

Heretic said:
new game+ spoiler...

so has anybody fought
Margaret?

Yeah, I am. It's the last thing I have to do in this game. Very sad!

if you fought Elizabeth in P3, this fight is waaaay easier, if just as long. For one thing, I don't even have to make a new Persona, I'm basically just using Yoshitsune. It helps that for like 80% of the fight I can use my teammates too.

Is it true that you don't need to do a New Game+ to fight her?

I'm sure this has been asked several times but...

...I'm completely new to Persona and SMT games. How forgiving is this game to newbs? I've played most of the blockbuster jRPGs, so I'm not new to the genre. I was just given a copy of the game; do I need to worry about a FAQ?

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If you play on the Beginner setting you will do fine. Beginner comes with 10 Tsukubame Beads or something that activate once your main character's HP reaches 0 and it refills the party's HP/SP to max. So that'll help you get into the groove of things.

Also, I just beat the game and I feel horribly depressed. This was one of the games that captured me and kind of got me emotionally involved with the story and the characters. It was alot of fun, challenging, and tons of length. Now that I'm done with this game I don't really have anything left to play. Fuck.

TChirath

Neo Member
affableamerican said:

...I'm completely new to Persona and SMT games. How forgiving is this game to newbs? I've played most of the blockbuster jRPGs, so I'm not new to the genre. I was just given a copy of the game; do I need to worry about a FAQ?

You don't need a FAQ if you are just trying to complete the game. However, you need a FAQ if you want to get the most out of it. I don't mean the how-to FAQ, but rather data tables for fusion/social link/forecast and things like that. I think the fusion system is brilliant and I actually spend at least 30% of the game time fusing and messing with the system.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
affableamerican said:

I used a FAQ for the first two dungeons of this game, just to get into the swing of things. Then after that I was doing it all on my own. I think this game is MUCH more enjoyable to play when you don't know what's upcoming. So try to avoid GameFaqs and spoilers and I think you will REALLY enjoy this game!

Have fun!

ilikeme

'This time it's alll over.'

True Ending was ok. But again, the boss battle was a grind. I redid the same safe turn over and over. x x x xx x x x x x x x x x x xx x x x xx x x x x x x x x x x

MC > Guard
Naoto > Attack
Yukiko > Mediarahan
Teddie > Mabufudyne

My Tam Lin is so awesome. But my spell repertoir sucked, and bothering to switch personas on a few turns just for a little extra dmg almost took longer than just x-ing all the way.
The battle system is solid but it's only fun in the normal battles. The bosses are the least fun parts.

Tamanon said:
You can max her S. Link on the first day it's established on New Game+ if you have the personas made already in the compendium.
Oh I meant 21/12. But that's good to know.

Running Boy, :lol . Fun stuff.

My personal favourites for NPCs are:

Shy girl:
Poison, filling her chest... Hehe... Hehehe...

Male Student x Depressed Student: It was so touching when she remembered.. 'on a mountain of tires' :(

And seriously, the foreshadowing with Hanako was just amazing: 'Here comes Hanako. Huh huh huh...'
I had no idea what she was talking about at first, and when I realized, I lold

Also, props to the grand amount of ego-pandering:
we love you
you can come see us anytime
anytime, really
please
kiss me now
i need you
i trust you
we're doing this together
sensei!!
senpai!!
friends forever
you're really special
you live up to all of my hopes
i want to ravish you NOW

:splooge

And was I the only one who didn't really like Yosuke? I thought he was a whiny prick. I didn't max out his S-Link though, maybe he explains himself :s

Did is just me, or did Chie's boss change in the second playthrough?

Like, I don't remember schoolgirls holding up the dominatrix. I remembered it being skinny looking dudes.

Whoa, I guess it's just me.

TheExodu5

Banned
The DoubleJump guide is extremely handy for it's monthly planner, which lets you know what S.Links and special events are available on what days. Saves a lot of time.

Last night I had golden shadows on EVERY floor of the Bathhouse. I left to save at floor seven and made it to floor ten. Saw one more golden shadow after all the previous floors continued to provide them along with quality items. I had reverse emperor at the time but took a gamble and attacked! I killed it! Then I had another round of enemies from a locked door. I got SMT'd.

Ah well, at least I got seven floors worth of crazy good loot. This is my second run through, I really should have known better.

Shanks

KibblesBits said:
Last night I had golden shadows on EVERY floor of the Bathhouse. I left to save at floor seven and made it to floor ten. Saw one more golden shadow after all the previous floors continued to provide them along with quality items. I had reverse emperor at the time but took a gamble and attacked! I killed it! Then I had another round of enemies from a locked door. I got SMT'd.

Ah well, at least I got seven floors worth of crazy good loot. This is my second run through, I really should have known better.

I have no idea why but I read that as you had golden showers on every floor of the bathhouse.

KibblesBits said:
:/

Getting SMT'd is like a surprise golden shower.

It just happened to me in FES. I hate how the game is over when the main guy dies, what, my teammates don't know how to use a resurrection bead?

vas_a_morir said:
Did is just me, or did Chie's boss change in the second playthrough?

Like, I don't remember schoolgirls holding up the dominatrix. I remembered it being skinny looking dudes.

Whoa, I guess it's just me.

It's multiple Chies holding up Yukiko. You know, because that's how she sees herself at the beginning, as Yukiko's sidekick.

TheExodu5

Banned
Music is awesome in this game. Much, much better than P3 (in many other ways as well). I am kind of disappointed at there only being 1 battle theme though, since I loved the varying battle themes in Nocturne.

Also, I'm never fucking with the Judgement Arcana card again...the upside down halved my SP! Was right at the start of my TV run too. :(

Top Bottom