• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Alts

A group of 4 Dry Dixie enemies just landed Mudoon/Hamaon on my party 7 out of 8 times. I didn't even know I had that many homonculi.

In the December Dungeon now, confusing madness! As expected, after the slow game warm-up, its back to being digital crack for me. S-Links, fusion, grinding, Quests. God damn, this is the definitive jRPG for me now.

One thing has become apparent though after Persona 3 and FES slipped into my music playlist this past week, is that Persona 4's soundtrack doesn't hold a candle to it, which is disappointing. The music is all a bit too boring and over-used. Especially the "panic" bgm.

The actual dungeon music is obviously far better due to it not being Tartarus.03, .04, etc, but everything else seems lacking. The battle themes in P3 kicked so much ass, FES remixes especially (i'm a freelancer, do for benjamins but I'm not a gangsta), I wish long RPG games would give you a choice of some bgm's you know youre gonna be hearing for a while/over and over.

noi5e

Hmm... Guess it's to your taste, but I thought P4's music was waaay better. It's good music on the level of, well, non-game music.

Pursuing My True Self > Kimi no Kioku
the garage rock battle theme > Mass Destruction
I'll Face Myself > whatever somber music was in P3
Heartbeat, Heartbreak > Changing Seasons (whatever the French language track was in P3)

P3 doesn't have equivalents to "The Almighty," or "Mist" which are basically the best boss themes in video game history. Also, P3 has Lotus Juice. blecch

noi5e said:
Hmm... Guess it's to your taste, but I thought P4's music was waaay better. It's good music on the level of, well, non-game music.

Pursuing My True Self > Kimi no Kioku
the garage rock battle theme > Mass Destruction
I'll Face Myself > whatever somber music was in P3
Heartbeat, Heartbreak > Changing Seasons (whatever the French language track was in P3)

P3 doesn't have equivalents to "The Almighty," or "Mist" which are basically the best boss themes in video game history. Also, P3 has Lotus Juice. blecch

remember this is all of noi5e's opinion.
:p

Yaweee

I like the 'final month' music in P3 more than it's P4 equivalent, but that's really the only place where I prefer it's soundtrack.

FES, however, had a ton of awesome tracks.

Joule said:
Heartful Cry in particular is one of my favourite SMT battle themes.

Same here, but not limited to the SMT series.

Joule

noi5e said:

What about Heartful Cry and Darkness from FES? Those are excellent. Heartful Cry in particular is one of my favourite SMT battle themes.

noi5e

LOL, maybe i'm being a bit overzealous. I'll admit FES does have a couple of standout tracks, including some of the dungeon crawling music.

I see you Yaweee, P4 Dec. in the daytime IS pretty bad. But "Alone" (the track that plays at the Dojima's) is awesome.

2DMention

Banned
Only managed to play 45 min. of this during the week because of laziness and tiredness. I vow to get some more time in this weekend and at least try to beat the
heaven
boss(es). Any tips to make the boss fights easier? I'm lvl 58 right now and haven't beat the sub boss or main yet.

Star Ocean 2 PSP has also contributed to me not playing it this week.

Joule

2DMention said:
Only managed to play 45 min. of this during the week because of laziness and tiredness. I vow to get some more time in this weekend and at least try to beat the
heaven
boss(es). Any tips to make the boss fights easier? I'm lvl 58 right now and haven't beat the sub boss or main yet.

Star Ocean 2 PSP has also contributed to me not playing it this week.
For the boss, if you've a stock of Magic Mirrors and Makarakarn you'll make a portion of the fight a lot quicker.

Yaweee

noi5e said:
LOL, maybe i'm being a bit overzealous. I'll admit FES does have a couple of standout tracks, including some of the dungeon crawling music.

I see you Yaweee, P4 Dec. in the daytime IS pretty bad. But "Alone" (the track that plays at the Dojima's) is awesome.

Oh, I like both of the P4 lategame tracks, but I loved the P3 tracks, and especially how effectively they were reused during the S. Link endings.

Just cleared November dungeon. That boss took a lot of work, but I managed to win after stocking up on healing items.

Nanako-chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, get better dammit

Damn. Just wrapped things up with the True Ending. Ending anime got me eyes liquidy. MC is such a souless douchebag though!

Watched the other endings on Youtube. Normal Ending and True Ending weren't different at all really, which is a bit lame, but obviously you had all the extra stuff in between.

I found some of the links to P3 very interesting, especially
Margret talking about how Elizabeth left to save P3's MC
. Still feels like theres some stuff they want to do with that.

Now the wait begins for another Persona I guess! I'm sure we'll get one since isnt it like Atlus' highest seller? Amazing game series, has become my go-to jRPG.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
SecretBonusPoint said:
Damn. Just wrapped things up with the True Ending. Ending anime got me eyes liquidy. MC is such a souless douchebag though!

I agree, they needed him to break convention and say SOMETHING in that final scene.It was laughable that he would just grunt and walk away from all his friends and get on a train without saying a freaking word.

It kinda pissed me off.

Okay, playing through this now, pretty near the beggining
Just rescued Yukiko

As of now the game is feeling kindof silly/repetitive, but there is alot of promise in the premise it seems. Does it get better?

:(

12/3
Nanak-chan, nooooooooooooooooo. Why did she have to die? Whyyyyyy? :(

This story is just...so engaging.

Edit:
o_O She came back. It's amazing how much emotional response this gamee can give. But I'm glad. I didn't want her to be dead.

SON OF A BITCH. Bad Ending.

Time to go back through that last segment again.

2DMention

Banned
Having a rough time with the
Heaven
boss. When he uses that "Quad Change" skill, and he uses that attack on everybody, it does like 400 dmg to everybody. Is there a period where I'm supposed to have the pt guard? I'm like lvl 59 do I need to grind?

I kind of wish I would've played this on Beginner.

Joule

2DMention said:
Heaven
boss. When he uses that "Quad Change" skill, and he uses that attack on everybody, it does like 400 dmg to everybody. Is there a period where I'm supposed to have the pt guard? I'm like lvl 59 do I need to grind?

Joule said:
For the boss, if you've a stock of Magic Mirrors and Makarakarn you'll make a portion of the fight a lot quicker.

When the atmosphere changes whatever element he uses will have x4 its usual effectiveness so just hit him back with the element he's using.

If he does a Ma-Dyne spell on your party and they all have Makarakarn on, the reflected damage will do around 2000~ damage on him. Of course if you don't have enough Magic Mirrors to do that then yeah the members of the party that are weak to the element he's chosen should guard. It helps to have a Persona that has null/repels/absorbs when he first goes into that mode so you'll know what to hit him with. Buff/debuff as usual. It also helps to have Mediarahan for the next phase of his pattern.

2DMention said:
Heaven

You might need to level up a little bit, but it probably depends.

Try and get at least one Persona in your party that has repel, null or drain for each of the elements. Repel is ideal, but the others still work.

Quick question about the christmas eve scene, do you have beat the december dungeon before the 22nd (21st last day to beat) or can you beat it on the 22nd to get the scene?

2DMention

Banned
Joule said:
When the atmosphere changes whatever element he uses will have x4 its usual effectiveness so just hit him back with the element he's using.

If he does a Ma-Dyne spell on your party and they all have Makarakarn on, the reflected damage will do around 2000~ damage on him. Of course if you don't have enough Magic Mirrors to do that then yeah the members of the party that are weak to the element he's chosen should guard. It helps to have a Persona that has null/repels/absorbs when he first goes into that mode so you'll know what to hit him with. Buff/debuff as usual. It also helps to have Mediarahan for the next phase of his pattern.

I fought him again and it didn't repel like it should have and MC died. I had him down to about 1/3.

I've grinded up to 64 and will probably grind a few more lvls before I'll take him on again.

Riskbreaker23 said:
Quick question about the christmas eve scene, do you have beat the december dungeon before the 22nd (21st last day to beat) or can you beat it on the 22nd to get the scene?
You have to beat it on the 22nd, at the most.

Joule

2DMention said:
I fought him again and it didn't repel like it should have and MC died. I had him down to about 1/3.

I've grinded up to 64 and will probably grind a few more lvls before I'll take him on again.

Did it use one of the 4 elements? If you had Makarakarn/a persona that repels that element it should work.

Or did he use his almighty move (Unshaken Justice) as that can't be reflected.

FUCK YES. After stressing over whether it was going to be possible for hours of playtime, I maxed my last S-Link (Ai, with benefits) on 12/21.

Is it terrible that I'm less excited to play the
last two dungeons straight in a row
now than I was to use the power of math to squeeze in that last little bit of socialization into my packed schedule?

2DMention

Banned
Joule said:
Did it use one of the 4 elements? If you had Makarakarn/a persona that repels that element it should work.

Or did he use his almighty move (Unshaken Justice) as that can't be reflected.

I think it was megidodyne or something.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
charlequin said:
FUCK YES. After stressing over whether it was going to be possible for hours of playtime, I maxed my last S-Link (Ai, with benefits) on 12/21.

now than I was to use the power of math to squeeze in that last little bit of socialization into my packed schedule?

:lol yeah that's what Persona 3/4 do to you.

keanerie

charlequin said:

No. That's exactly how you should be playing this game.

Red Scarlet

She shouldn't be too bad until I get Parvati or Gabriel (they both get the 'more powerful healing' abil, iirc?) I guess. At least she has revive+heal and some kind of attack.
p4043.png

Red Scarlet said:
She shouldn't be too bad until I get Parvati or Gabriel (they both get the 'more powerful healing' abil, iirc?) I guess. At least she has revive+heal and some kind of attack.
p4043.png
I really like Alraune, she served me well for quite a while.

Red Scarlet

I probably spent about 4 hours trying to get her. I had one earlier that had Growth 2 + Dekunda + Null Wind + Me Patra, and that seemed kind of an okay defensive one, but the combination I had could've gotten me Null Wind + Growth 1 or 2 + Megido + Samarecarm, and I decided I wanted Null Wind + Growth 1 or 2 + Megido or Samarecarm, or Null Wind + Megido + Samarecarm and no Growth, but I wasn't getting Null Wind for crap, so I remade Matador with Null Wind and not Media just to fuse Alraune.

But then I saw I could remake Matador with Null Fire and if I did that I'd overwrite the regular one I had, which had Dekaja and Dekunda, so I figured I might want that Alraune with Dekunda since if I *did* remake Matador with Null Fire, he'd only get Dekaja. But I have some goat guy (the one I gave Alraune Megido and Samarecarm) with Dekunda anyway, so I said screw it and made the Alraune up there.

Now I just need about 46,000¥ to buy the two Personas to make a new Matador, then rebuy some other ones I made for Fusion. Hopefully she'll last me a bit and the new Matador works out. Going by memory, I think Makarakarn is the only ability Alraune is going to learn that is worth a crap..I know I don't need Green Wall. Is "Old One" worth a crap? I usually overwrite the Enervation causing/curing abilities (but I'll keep Energy Shower since it cures the party of it).

These games take me too long to do simple things.

Red Scarlet

Yeah, I've never used them either. Now I think I'm going to try to remake Kaiwan to have Resist Phys, unless my King Frost already has it..don't remember. aksdfaslkdard

Tamanon said:
I never used Old One or any of the enervation/exhaustion spells, just seemed a waste.
Really? Enervation always seemed like one of the more useful status effects. Halving all stats can go a long way in making some battles go way faster. And enemies with no weaknesses tend to be particularly susceptible to status effects.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, I've never used them either. Now I think I'm going to try to remake Kaiwan to have Resist Phys, unless my King Frost already has it..don't remember. aksdfaslkdard

Bah, I wouldn't even worry about physical stuff in the mid-levels. Wait until you get a Rakshata who Repels physical naturally and then learns Repel Physical so you can pass it on.:D

Red Scarlet

I know Rangda gets Repel Physical, not Rakshasa (or is there a Rakshata?) though. I know how to make a Decarabia->Gabriel with Repel Physical, but that's later on.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
I know Rangda gets Repel Physical, not Rakshasa (or is there a Rakshata?) though. I know how to make a Decarabia->Gabriel with Repel Physical, but that's later on.

Yeah, Rangda, that's the one I meant. Been a while. I had that skill transferred to almost every persona I made.:lol

839081-513px_blackfrostsmt3_large.jpg

(Triple Element and Mudoon) Black Frost served me all the way up to the final boss. What a bad-ass brain pokemon!

My life sort of feels empty without a Persona game to be playing through now. I should get back to Yakuza 2 but I feel like playing through FES again now :/

2DMention

Banned
Beat it. Just under 60 hours. Got the bad ending, which I'm surprisingly happy with. Watched the Good ending on youtube and have no idea what led up to it.
WTF? Nanako lived? How did that happen? Before you get the decision tree for the good/bad ending, she dies anyway, right?! And why do all the endings on youtube do the drama girl instead of the band girl?! IS there a separate cinema for the Band girl?

Closing thoughts:

-Game of the year. Everything is so well done, from the pacing, to gameplay, to characterizations.
-Loved the shortcut menus and ability to individually control all characters.
-This game didn't drag on toward the end, like P3 did. By the time I got to the 40 hour mark in P3, I was sick of it and wanted it to end. This game wasn't that way.
-I liked all the extra options for stuff to do outside of dungeon romping and S-Links
-I was kind of disappointed in some of the S.Links, especially Tower and Hermit. They were much better in P3, IMO.
-Difficult game, probably one of the toughest RPGs I've played in the 20+ years I've played games, but it's still manageable as long as you're leveled and prepared. (Then again, this is my 2nd SMT game).
-Voice acting was top notch, especially for
Chie
-The tone of the game is very low-key. You're not overwhelmed by anime cliches like P3 or other RPGs.
-The pacing was great. You never get bored, you don't max stats and S-Links too fast like in P3. The game has as many dramatic moments as it does humor and tension.
-The morals of this game are dead on perfect for its audience: friendship. Most of the hardcore nerds who could appreciate and understand this game probably need to level their social skills more.
-It's sad that the general public won't play or appreciate this game, because it truly stands out.

Time to play more SO2.

RedBoot

SecretBonusPoint said:

I always loved that image. The Jack Frosts look so happy to be squashed.

I only used my Black Frost up to about level 45 or so, but I grabbed him first thing for my New Game + playthrough. I figured he would be good enough to plow through the early game without being ridiculous (like if I had grabbed Satan or Trumpeter).

Of course, even with him, I still got one-shotted by Contrarian King (and my Black Frost has Resist Phys).

Fuck this game, I'm beating it for the second time, I'm probably gonna max all the S Links except for one, and I still can't get the good/true ending choices right at the first time.
She can stay dead for all I care, fucking 30 mins long cutscenes with no saving between.

2DMention said:
Beat it. Got the bad ending, which I'm surprisingly happy with. Watched the Good ending on youtube and have no idea what led up to it.
WTF? Nanako lived? How did that happen? Before you get the decision tree for the good/bad ending, she dies anyway, right?! And why do all the endings on youtube do the drama girl instead of the band girl?! IS there a separate cinema for the Band girl?
She can live even if you get the bad ending, it depends on if you do it or not.

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
Beat it. Just under 60 hours. Got the bad ending, which I'm surprisingly happy with. Watched the Good ending on youtube and have no idea what led up to it.

Closing thoughts:

-Game of the year. Everything is so well done, from the pacing, to gameplay, to characterizations.
-Loved the shortcut menus and ability to individually control all characters.
-This game didn't drag on toward the end, like P3 did. By the time I got to the 40 hour mark in P3, I was sick of it and wanted it to end. This game wasn't that way.
-I liked all the extra options for stuff to do outside of dungeon romping and S-Links
-I was kind of disappointed in some of the S.Links, especially Tower and Hermit. They were much better in P3, IMO.
-Difficult game, probably one of the toughest RPGs I've played in the 20+ years I've played games, but it's still manageable as long as you're leveled and prepared. (Then again, this is my 2nd SMT game).
-Voice acting was top notch, especially for
Chie
-The tone of the game is very low-key. You're not overwhelmed by anime cliches like P3 or other RPGs.
-The pacing was great. You never get bored, you don't max stats and S-Links too fast like in P3. The game has as many dramatic moments as it does humor and tension.
-The morals of this game are dead on perfect for its audience: friendship. Most of the hardcore nerds who could appreciate and understand this game probably need to level their social skills more.
-It's sad that the general public won't play or appreciate this game, because it truly stands out.

Time to play more SO2.

Should press through for at least the good ending. It's very much worth it. The buildup even moreso than the ending.

And yes there are separate scenes.

Prime crotch said:
She can live even if you get the bad ending, it depends on if you do it or not.

I wasn't even aware there was a difference. I got the bad ending yesterday, but went back to my previous save, but I didn't do it.

2DMention

Banned
Tamanon said:
Should press through for at least the good ending. It's very much worth it. The buildup even moreso than the ending.

And yes there are separate scenes.

Noooo.. There's so many other good RPGs to play. 50 hours on most games are pushing it for me...

Tamanon

Banned
2DMention said:
Noooo.. There's so many other good RPGs to play. 50 hours on most games are pushing it for me...

At least watch the scenes after you start the path. When you walk out of
the hospital
, it's so damn heartwarming.:D

Top Bottom