• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Aedile

momolicious said:
Anyone else feel the dungeon grinding is too long overdrawn? If it werent for the characters and story, I probably would stop and not finish this game. already at 80 hours and havent beaten the game.

As someone who tends to treat the G aspect of RPGs as little more than work that has to be done to earn the next story segment, I found the grinding in P4 a lot more tolerable than in the previous game. Not that I didn't see the in-world explanation for it as equally handwavey, or wish on more than one occasion that Atlus had decided to make a visual novel rather than an RPG.

Probably strange for me to say it in light of the above, but it's still my nominee for best RPG of the 00s. The plot, characters, visual design, music and voice acting were just that good.

Last Resort is such a terrible move. In
Kanji's steamy...sauna...dungeon thing. WOW. Second dungeon

I mean, I think I might have died to it ONCE in Persona 3, but I just lost a solid 20 minutes of gameplay. Thank god I saved before going in :lol

*silences both die this time*

Kagari said:
Damn Shadow Teddie. What's the best defense against him?
I remember using a King Frost with Media.

It's pretty much impossible for the MC to die with that set-up (assuming you guard when you should, of course).

Dresden

I ran into the Shadow Teddie fight and luckily beat him first try. I was doing so little damage that, thirty minutes in, I thought 'fuck it' and just set everyone on Rush and waited for them to die.

Ten turns later, I turned Rush off and continued because not only was everyone alive, auto-attacking had cut Teddie's health down by 20%. :lol

Teddie is probably the last difficult boss battle in the game, though.
Void Dungeon's boss is a joke with Black Frost.

ultron87

I literally just beat Shadow Teddie.

For the first 2/3 of his health I was just chipping down his health doing about 90 damage a pop with my Pyro Jack. Then I tried something different and switched to my Oso (big tiger dude). A Tarukajad and Power Charged Oso will do 350+ damage a pop. So that sped things up a bit. I'd suggest looking into that.

Edit: The events surrounding that fight were pure madness.
And Shadow Rise was disturbing, what with the squishy sounds.

hampig

Hey, I have a question for all of you, if you could spare a minute.

I loved P3, even more than that I loved P4, but then I bought Nocturne. I really am enjoying the gameplay, and the story is very interesting. Hell, I'm even really digging the way the story's being told. But I'm just not in the mood for this type of Jrpg right now. I wanted something more Final Fantasy-like. Or at least more like Persona 4. I have plenty of other rpgs that fit this bill, but after how much I loved P4, I'd really like to go for one of the other Shin Megami Tensei games. How much different is Digital Devil Saga in the way of storytelling and progression? Is it more similar to P4 (More cutscenes than gameplay), Nocturne (More gameplay than cutscenes), or a Final Fantasy (Fairly balanced)?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
hampig said:

I loved P3, even more than that I loved P4, but then I bought Nocturne. I really am enjoying the gameplay, and the story is very interesting. Hell, I'm even really digging the way the story's being told. But I'm just not in the mood for this type of Jrpg right now. I wanted something more Final Fantasy-like. Or at least more like Persona 4. I have plenty of other rpgs that fit this bill, but after how much I loved P4, I'd really like to go for one of the other Shin Megami Tensei games. How much different is Digital Devil Saga in the way of storytelling and progression? Is it more similar to P4 (More cutscenes than gameplay), Nocturne (More gameplay than cutscenes), or a Final Fantasy (Fairly balanced)?

DDS is basically Nocturne with most of the party management removed so you can focus all your attention on powering through those sweet, sweet dungeons. Cutscenes are short and basically just set up the next dungeon.

DDS2 has more cutscenes, but the basic setup is the same. You're just waiting around slightly longer before the game drops you into the next dungeon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
hampig said:

If you want something SMT and more FF like, i think DDS 1 & 2 fits that bill perfectly. While i would't expect as many cutscenes as a FF game, it is more character / story-driven then nocturne.

hampig

ixix said:
DDS is basically Nocturne with most of the party management removed so you can focus all your attention on powering through those sweet, sweet dungeons. Cutscenes are short and basically just set up the next dungeon.

DDS2 has more cutscenes, but the basic setup is the same. You're just waiting around slightly longer before the game drops you into the next dungeon.
Hmm, so how long would you say the average cutscene is? I don't expect half hour cutscenes every 5 minutes like MGS or anything, but I'd like some decent time for development y'know? Also, is the story worth all the time? Both games combined, that's a hell of a lot of time. I'd really hope for good characters, plot twists, and a great ending. Does it have any of those?

(Sorry for the small de-railment. I just thought this would be the best spot for opinions.)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
hampig said:
Hmm, so how long would you say the average cutscene is? I don't expect half hour cutscenes every 5 minutes like MGS or anything, but I'd like some decent time for development y'know? Also, is the story worth all the time? Both games combined, that's a hell of a lot of time. I'd really hope for good characters, plot twists, and a great ending. Does it have any of those?

(Sorry for the small de-railment. I just thought this would be the best spot for opinions.)

I really dug the plotting in DDS. It'll provide enough interest in the crazy(and I do mean crazy) world and characters between the long dungeons to keep you engaged. Very accessible games too, I doubt you'll be dissapointed if you give them a chance.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm getting further! A few floors into Void Quest now, awesome dungeon. Ugh, I really need to max my party S-Links to get rid of my weaknesses though (only have Yukiko's maxed). I got ambushed and there was some black head enemy...he cast maragion 2x thanks to Chie's weakness, and since he was a fast enemy, he got another turn in before I even got another turn in. Another 2x maragion and I was dead. First time I've died to a regular enemy. :lol

hampig

Brandon F said:
I really dug the plotting in DDS. It'll provide enough interest in the crazy(and I do mean crazy) world and characters between the long dungeons to keep you engaged. Very accessible games too, I doubt you'll be dissapointed if you give them a chance.
Ok, I will take your word for that and go pick them up. It's seeming like I can't dislike a SMT game anyways.

ntb825

I'm about to start this game up. Any pro-tips I should know about before jumping in?

Also, what are the best video settings as far as smoothing and whatnot go on PS3 for this game?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ntb825 said:
I'm about to start this game up. Any pro-tips I should know about before jumping in?

Also, what are the best video settings as far as smoothing and whatnot go on PS3 for this game?
Use tons of saves. You can make as many memory cards as you need on the PS3, so don't skimp if you feel like you need more. I liked making a new save once a week, plus specific saves for dungeon runs and before boss fights. That way if you ever need to replay something, you don't have too much to redo.

Also, if you have a choice focus on raising your party's S-Links before any others as they'll get more useful in combat. Don't worry about getting all the S-Links done in one playthrough, if you want to do this you'll pretty much need a strategy guide or walkthrough to plan out your calendar.

As for video settings, I had upscaling to normal as I don't like to stretch 4:3 games. Smoothing's a personal opinion, some prefer it off while others like it. I kept mine enabled.

Syntek

This game is really punishing lol.

I was grinding in Kanji's dungeon, and I have this tendency to overgrind in RPGs since I like to overpower enemies. I thought I was doing pretty well, but apparently not. Started an encounter with a "Disadvantage", and the enemies I was steamrolling over turns around and kills my main character before I even got a chance to swap my persona.

That kinda sucks, but since I only lost an hour or so of progress, I sucked it up and started over again. I started again from level 19, got up to level 26 after 3 hours, and again got instantly zapped to death through another "Disadvantage" encounter with a group of level 25 Wondrous mages because I happen to equip a persona a with weakness to lightning.

Seriously, the whole main character dies = party annihilated thing is starting to get annoying...

Red Scarlet

That's why you warp out after a floor or two when you reach a new floor (like floor 3, 5, 7), save, then re-enter at that floor. Just make a Cu Sith (lv10); he learns Traesto.

Hurry exodu5, I am almost done w/ the game again.

falconzss

Syntek said:

I was grinding in Kanji's dungeon, and I have this tendency to overgrind in RPGs since I like to overpower enemies. I thought I was doing pretty well, but apparently not. Started an encounter with a "Disadvantage", and the enemies I was steamrolling over turns around and kills my main character before I even got a chance to swap my persona.

That kinda sucks, but since I only lost an hour or so of progress, I sucked it up and started over again. I started again from level 19, got up to level 26 after 3 hours, and again got instantly zapped to death through another "Disadvantage" encounter with a group of level 25 Wondrous mages because I happen to equip a persona a with weakness to lightning.

Seriously, the whole main character dies = party annihilated thing is starting to get annoying...

the exact same thing happened to me too. it's rather depressing when the time you spent leveling up goes to waste like that.

as for the main character dying means game over: another reason to spend your time on developing your social links. it helped me several times up to this point that your teammates can take a fatal blow for you.

I just started this game, and I'm trying really hard not to look at the Strategy guide that was given to me with the game :lol

I'm only on the 2nd section of the game
rescuing Yukiko
, but it already seems a lot harder than P3(since I just got rocked at lvl 6 in 2 turns by the knight boss), where I only remember having to grind for the final boss. I still haven't played through The Answer though.

Syntek

falconzss said:
the exact same thing happened to me too. it's rather depressing when the time you spent leveling up goes to waste like that.

as for the main character dying means game over: another reason to spend your time on developing your social links. it helped me several times up to this point that your teammates can take a fatal blow for you.

But they can't cover area effect spells no?

Crystalkoen

Yaweee said:
Correct, which is what makes the Wondrous Magi one of the hardest random encounters in the game.

Except that you should only ever die to fights like them once, really. After you encounter them, and know what you need to be gearing your Persona toward, you'll start going into every fight in that area with a Str/Nul/Drn persona to counter them. Part of the only problem I really have with the series, but also something I love. Sure, you had to die to learn that bit of strategy, but now you get much more careful with it.

Seeing Scarlet's stream of the game from last night reminds me that I need to pick this back up and finish it. Haven't touched it since last November, which is where I am in the game >.>

TheExodu5

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
Hurry exodu5, I am almost done w/ the game again.

You'll just have to play through again!

I think I might take a break from raiding this week and just play Persona 4. I need to catch up to my other buddy who is in mid November now.

Curufinwe

Syntek said:

Buy some Goho-Ms and then use them every half an hour or so.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm getting frustrated watching the endurance run. :lol Vinny seems to be having the good ideas, but Jeff is way too much on the offensive at times. It took so long to start guarding with Yukiko when fighting (MaruQ spoiler):
Shadow Teddie

Red Scarlet

go go go exy. I'm just grinding some gold hands for 30k+(150k+ total) right now...

The bonus dungeon is about the same size as the other dungeons, but it's pretty much the easiest one in the game to me, since I have all my super stuff by then and just blast through with Scat Hatch.

mileS

TheExodu5 said:
I'm getting further! A few floors into Void Quest now, awesome dungeon. Ugh, I really need to max my party S-Links to get rid of my weaknesses though (only have Yukiko's maxed). I got ambushed and there was some black head enemy...he cast maragion 2x thanks to Chie's weakness, and since he was a fast enemy, he got another turn in before I even got another turn in. Another 2x maragion and I was dead. First time I've died to a regular enemy. :lol

this confused me because I had just maxed her S-link and her weakness to Ice is still there? I maxed Chie's a week earlier and it got rid of her weakness.

firex

mileS said:
this confused me because I had just maxed her S-link and her weakness to Ice is still there? I maxed Chie's a week earlier and it got rid of her weakness.
the healers don't lose their weaknesses, so Yukiko and Teddie are still weak to stuff. But the other characters lose their weaknesses.

Tamanon

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'm getting frustrated watching the endurance run. :lol Vinny seems to be having the good ideas, but Jeff is way too much on the offensive at times. It took so long to start guarding with Yukiko when fighting (MaruQ spoiler):
Shadow Teddie

The best part was Jeff going ballistic after bufula was used!

On new game+ now. Having all stats maxed means fishing time at night!

Red Scarlet

That stupid cat took like 17 fish for me to feed it the 3rd time..stupid ass cat.

Play along with me Tama (click my tag). Look at what you created.

mileS

Red Scarlet said:
Healing characters don't get their weakness removed when the link is maxed, everyone else does though.

firex said:
the healers don't lose their weaknesses, so Yukiko and Teddie are still weak to stuff. But the other characters lose their weaknesses.

thanks for clearing that up for me.

momolicious said:
Did everyone do the extra dungeon and get the true ending? How many floors is it and how hard is it?

Exactly 10 floors I think, the boss is lvl 80-something.

It was meh difficulty(at least for me) overall, but it's still one of my favorite dungeons because it has the only enemy in the game weak to physical attacks.

If you need to level up I'd suggest pringle-grinding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6u3QWtxbMA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FMasterLL&feature=player_profilepage.

The enemy you need to find is at 3:00. Go alone and equip a persona with Repel for it's physical affinity(Arahabaki is a good one), and an item that nulifies enrage. Guard for your first turn, use attack on one of the bambinos and ONLY then activate Rush. You can leave it going for a while but there are flaws in this system, if the MC gets a critical there is a chance he'll start targeting the kings instead. Pretty easy to fix if you stick around and watch, but I suggest you mute to block out Rise's "Gee, it's like an endless stream of 'em!" and listen to some music.

Tamanon

Banned
Red Scarlet said:
That stupid cat took like 17 fish for me to feed it the 3rd time..stupid ass cat.

Play along with me Tama (click my tag). Look at what you created.

I would but i have no Internet until my cable is installed this weekend. Having to post on my iPhone heh. Thank goodness for the giantbomb app!

Minamu

Red Scarlet: You wouldn't happen to have a history in Metroid speedrunning would you?

I loved P4 when it came out in Sweden but I stopped a 3rd through my second run for some reason. I was trying to follow a social link guide. Should I pick it up again? I'm also thinking of buying P3: FES. It's still easy to find new here (online).

Also, what's up with Giant Bomb? 107 (or was it 117?) episodes à 20ish minutes & they haven't completed
Naoto's dungeon
yet?

Hey guys. This is my first post, besides a simple "Hello" in the topic for new Juniors.

I've literally just this minute finished Persona 4 (best ending), and after months of avoiding discussion topics such as this one for fear of spoilers, I can finally get stuck in and gush about how utterly incredible this game is with other people who enjoyed it.

Quite simply, Persona 4 is one of my favourite games of all time. Definitely in my top 10. It's my first SMT game, so I'll definitely be playing more of them. I don't know what to get next; I was thinking either Persona 3 (FES) or Devil Survivor.

I'm tempted to go back for an immediate second playthrough of P4, but it's already sucked up so much of my free time, and robbed all my other games of playtime, that I'm going to wait a while first.

I finished with my main character at level 81, and with Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie at 80-81. I was switching the characters to keep them evenly levelled up until
Heaven
, when I decided to stick with those three. They made a great party, as between the three of them, they had all three main party-buffs (Attack, Defense, and Hit/Evasion Rate), 2 healers (which meant running out of SP was rarely an issue), and great damage output.

Chie and Kanji can't really do much else other than use physical attacks (their Magic stats are a bit low), and Naoto was worthless (average stats, and no elemental attacks at all mean no exploiting an enemies' weakness).

On a side note, I spent about a good hour or so preparing a Yoshitsune, and I barely even used it in the final battle. That said, he hadn't yet learned that 8x light damage move yet. I ended up using Shiki-Ouji (similar resistances), as he could lower both the opponent's Attack and Defense. I can only imagine how easy the last boss would be if I had a fully pimped out Trumpter (with Debilitate) and Yoshitsune. Makes me glad I didn't, as I thoroughly enjoyed the last boss. Her second form took about half an hour, and it was the perfect difficulty; none of my characters died once, but they came close a couple of times, and I had to play carefully, keeping as many buffs and debuffs up as possible at all times. Oh, and the music in that last fight was awesome.

My only real complaints are:

1) Light and Dark spells are bullshit. There's nothing more cheap than being OHKO'ed with absolutely no warning, and I don't really see the point in you having them either. They're either a cheap way of killing an enemy, or the only (SP costly) way of killing an enemy resistant to everything else.

2) A minor issue, as it's only happened two or three times, but there have been instances where I misjudged when I needed to recast a party buff. As a result, only one or two party members recieved it, as you have to wait for a buff to wear off before it can be recast on that character. So I then either have to recast that buff at different times for everybody from that point on, or wait until it wears off everybody (and therefore leave a few members unbuffed for a few turns). This could easily have been avoided by either letting you see what buffs/debuffs are on your party members at any time, or by allowing you to recast a buff on members who already have it (which would reset the three-turn timer).

3) I really don't like the idea of getting a game over when the main character dies, regardless of your other party members. I know that if your whole party had to die before getting a game over would make the game too easy, I think it's preferable to losing progress due to a single moment of bad luck.

4) Reselecting Personas over and over in order to get the skills you want. Ugh. They should let you choose what skills you want to pass on. It wouldn't make things easier, as that denotes a degree of challenge. Reselecting Personas for ages isn't a challenge; it's just a pain in the ass. Letting you choose the skills you want would just make things more convenient, which is never a bad thing. Of course, limitations on what skills Personas can and can't inherit should still apply. Just let us know up front, so we don't waste our time trying to get a moveset that isn't possible.

These are relatively minor issues though, especially in light of an otherwise perfect game.

darkwings

Banned
So yeah, I just played 2 hours in my first Persona game ever. I am loving the character interactions and all, but
getting pushed into a TV. Comon, that is kinda lame.

Still, cant wait to play more.

Ben2749 said:
Hey guys. This is my first post, besides a simple "Hello" in the topic for new Juniors.

I've literally just this minute finished Persona 4 (best ending), and after months of avoiding discussion topics such as this one for fear of spoilers, I can finally get stuck in and gush about how utterly incredible this game is with other people who enjoyed it.

Quite simply, Persona 4 is one of my favourite games of all time. Definitely in my top 10. It's my first SMT game, so I'll definitely be playing more of them. I don't know what to get next; I was thinking either Persona 3 (FES) or Devil Survivor.

I'm tempted to go back for an immediate second playthrough of P4, but it's already sucked up so much of my free time, and robbed all my other games of playtime, that I'm going to wait a while first.

Welcome to Gaf!

You're lucky you didn't end up with that "empty" feeling a lot of people seem to get when finishing the game. I like had no motivation to play anything else after I finished the game. It was like coming off of a very addictive drug.

The rest of the SMT series is pretty different. I liked Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga a lot so you might want to look into that after playing P3.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
I wouldn't suggest jumping into P3 right away. I personally liked P3 more than P4, but Persona 4 just had an incredible amount of gameplay improvements. If you play P3 now, you'll feel like you're playing a gimped and stripped down version of P4.

Since you played P4 first, here's the order I recommend: Nocturne, Devil Summoner 2 (you'll appreciate the nice change of pace, considering Nocturne and DDS have almost identical battle systems), DDS 1 and 2, and then P3. By the time you get to P3, you won't miss P4's features nearly as much.

darkwings

Banned
Also, I like how they throwed you into a bossfight aftter watching the intro for about 2 hours :lol

I was like, daaaaamn I am not losing this bossfight!

Minamu

So perhaps I should buy P3: FES & play that before I continue with my perfect social link game in P4? I've played through Odin Sphere & Okami for the first time after P4. but when I've finished P3 & go back to P4, I'll have the same problem with my second P3 run anyway xD

cosmicblizzard said:
Welcome to Gaf!

You're lucky you didn't end up with that "empty" feeling a lot of people seem to get when finishing the game. I like had no motivation to play anything else after I finished the game. It was like coming off of a very addictive drug.

The rest of the SMT series is pretty different. I liked Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga a lot so you might want to look into that after playing P3.

I think I didn't get that feeling with Persona 4, simply because I've been playing it for so long now (about three months), I really wanted to finish it, and move on. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I wasnted to be able to play other games again. My backlog is absolutely huge, so I really want to get through it.

Ben2749 said:
I think I didn't get that feeling with Persona 4, simply because I've been playing it for so long now (about three months), I really wanted to finish it, and move on. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because I wasnted to be able to play other games again. My backlog is absolutely huge, so I really want to get through it.

Makes sense. I was addicted to the point of playing like 7 hours a day. Good thing it was winter break.

Top Bottom