• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

darkwings

Banned
wow this game is just overwhelming, i am visiting velvet room for the first time and I am a bit confused. I dont really grasp the concept with compendium and register persona, what is the difference, why do I need to register and why them? I used them just fine when I got my first ones.

Also, when I fuse personas, I have no idea how to make good ones. And how do I know if I persona is a magic or physical one?

Also, how long normally can I spend in the overworld before I get game over from someone dieing?

darkwings said:
wow this game is just overwhelming, i am visiting velvet room for the first time and I am a bit confused. I dont really grasp the concept with compendium and register persona, what is the difference, why do I need to register and why them? I used them just fine when I got my first ones.

Also, when I fuse personas, I have no idea how to make good ones. And how do I know if I persona is a magic or physical one?

Also, how long normally can I spend in the overworld before I get game over from someone dieing?

When you first get a persona it's in the compendium on its at base lvl and has normal attacks. If you want it to keep its inherited moves and current lvl you have to keep registering it.

TheExodu5

Banned
yehhey311 said:
Hello, I'm brand new to Persona 4, and to this forum actually, so I had a few basic questions for the seasoned persona 4 vets.

This game has a lot of choices (especially with respect to social links), and I'm not generally used to games that when you choose to do one thing, you're skipping everything else going on at the same time (takes up a block of time). Is it acceptable/desirable to be doing the social link events evenly, or should I be concentrating on certain ones long before others?

Also, how often should I be concerned about leveling up? There are so many events and choices, I'm not usually sure how to split my time. Should I just worry about leveling up and persona fusing after a new dungeon is introduced?

Lastly, what should my approach be towards persona fusing? So far, I've just been seeing what goes together in a new persona that keeps most of the desired powers from the original personas while adding a few new ones and a higher level. It seems like people are more meticulous about this, but I don't know what the overall strategy is other than "oh that one seems good...i think."

In general all of these questions are basically asking is there truly no "good" way of doing this as the game progresses? Is it flexible enough that whatever choices I make, I'll end up with something that works (albeit in a different way). What I'm essentially trying to avoid is the situation that I get far into the game and get stuck and everyone would just tell me..."you should have just fused this and this persona after increasing these stats and social link before trying that part of the game." I have a bad feeling that this could happen.

Usually you can clear a dungeon in about 2 days. 3 if you really need to.

The rest should be spent focusing on S-Links. Try to focus on party member S-Links first, since they will help you out in battle a lot more. On days when none are available (rainy days), then you can go eat the meat bowl, or do the fox S-Link when he's available.

darkwings said:

When you register a persona in the compendium, it means you can resummon them in that state in the future for a fee. You'll probably want to just "register all" whenever you can.

As for fusing...you can tell whether it's magical or physical by its skills and attributes. If it has a high magic stat and gets magic skills, it's magical. If it's got a high strength stat and physical skills, it's physicals. Some are a mix of both. Really, you don't need to focus on that too much.

You don't need to focus too much on leveling personas either. I'm halfway through the game, and am making my way just fine by constantly fusing higher level personas. It's like getting free levels.

As for your last question, you have until the end of 2-3 consecutive rainy days to save someone, otherwise it's game over. The fog sets in after several days of rain.

darkwings

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Usually you can clear a dungeon in about 2 days. 3 if you really need to.

The rest should be spent focusing on S-Links. Try to focus on party member S-Links first, since they will help you out in battle a lot more. On days when none are available (rainy days), then you can go eat the meat bowl, or do the fox S-Link when he's available.

When you register a persona in the compendium, it means you can resummon them in that state in the future for a fee. You'll probably want to just "register all" whenever you can.

As for fusing...you can tell whether it's magical or physical by its skills and attributes. If it has a high magic stat and gets magic skills, it's magical. If it's got a high strength stat and physical skills, it's physicals. Some are a mix of both. Really, you don't need to focus on that too much.

You don't need to focus too much on leveling personas either. I'm halfway through the game, and am making my way just fine by constantly fusing higher level personas. It's like getting free levels.

As for your last question, you have until the end of 2-3 consecutive rainy days to save someone, otherwise it's game over. The fog sets in after several days of rain.

okay thanks a lot! is it generally a good idea to normal fuse or tri-fuse?

ultron87

Oh yeah, so I fought through the first floor of
Void Quest
last night. And damn, that place seems significantly more difficult than the last dungeon. I'm thinking I'm going to fight up to the optional boss in
Rise
's dungeon to level up some more before I keep hitting the new place.

edgefusion

darkwings said:
okay thanks a lot! is it generally a good idea to normal fuse or tri-fuse?

You can get more powerful persona from a tri-fuse but of course it takes up 3 personas to do so. I usually go for a bi-fuse and if I can't see anything I fancy I go to the tri-fuse to see if there's anything there.

TheExodu5

Banned
ultron87 said:
Oh yeah, so I fought through the first floor of
Void Quest
last night. And damn, that place seems significantly more difficult than the last dungeon. I'm thinking I'm going to fight up to the optional boss in
Rise
's dungeon to level up some more before I keep hitting the new place.

Make sure you look for light/dark weaknesses. Dependant Basalts, I believe, are weak to light/dark. Makes it a lot easier. Don't be afraid to use up MP. Exploit weaknesses when you can, and use your TaP sodas to regain MP on your main char. It also helps if you have a Sarasvatti or Ganga or some other persona that you've given Invigorate 2 to. 5 SP per turn is nothing to scoff at.

Goho-M out at floors 3-5-7 and you should be alright.

At level 38, you can make a really nice persona, Black Frost. I have a pic of him at the top of the page.

ultron87

TheExodu5 said:
Make sure you look for light/dark weaknesses. Dependant Basalts, I believe, are weak to light/dark. Makes it a lot easier. Don't be afraid to use up MP. Exploit weaknesses when you can, and use your TaP sodas to regain MP on your main char. It also helps if you have a Sarasvatti or Ganga or some other persona that you've given Invigorate 2 to. 5 SP per turn is nothing to scoff at.

Goho-M out at floors 3-5-7 and you should be alright.

At level 38, you can make a really nice persona, Black Frost. I have a pic of him at the top of the page.

Oh, I fully intended to whip up a Black Frost as soon as I saw that he was possible. After all, I've done pretty well with the Frost line of Persona (Personas?) up until now. King Frost is clearly the awesomest, though.

Facism

Count me in for some Persona 4, finally found a copy yesterday and will be putting some time into it.

I would like some tips, i'm not exactly new to persona games, but it's been a while

Minamu

Facism said:
Count me in for some Persona 4, finally found a copy yesterday and will be putting some time into it.

I would like some tips, i'm not exactly new to persona games, but it's been a while
Some early tips are: Buy a few Goho-M items for easy teleporting if things turn ugly in dungeons. You can also buy 7 (I think) soda cans each week for some "mana" recovery. It's not much but everything helps. And sell all your loot to the weapons dealer. You'll get a lot of cash & he'll use the stuff to make new weapons & armor for you. There are also a few specific personae you should make/catch that will make life easier early on. A persona that has an attack of each element is great to have around. And having different personae with the correct defence against bosses helps a lot (the first 3-4 bosses are pretty much the hardest in the game).

You can read about what personae to fuse on this site:
http://persona4.wikidot.com/start

It also has walkthroughs & a bunch of other stuff ^^

Edit: oops forgot about social links. it's generally recommended to focus on your battle comrades early on if you have to choose. Raising their slink levels give them special powers in combat which can actually save your life. And personally, I prefer to control every character separately instead of letting the AI play the game. But that's up to you :)

arhra

yehhey311 said:
Lastly, what should my approach be towards persona fusing? So far, I've just been seeing what goes together in a new persona that keeps most of the desired powers from the original personas while adding a few new ones and a higher level. It seems like people are more meticulous about this, but I don't know what the overall strategy is other than "oh that one seems good...i think."
Just experimenting by fusing what you've got every now and then and seeing what comes out is more than good enough to finish the game comfortably.

That said, if you want to do stuff like Margaret's requests (without just looking up recipes in a FAQ somewhere), or fuse together some particular broken endgame personas, you'll need a deeper understanding of how it works. Fortunately, the system that underlies the fusion mechanics is fairly straightforward, so if you do want to get more in-depth in it, it's not too mindblowing.

Basically, each combination of arcanas always produces the same arcana as an end result (there's a big table in the manual listing what the combos are), and the exact persona you get out as the end result is based on the base level of the two personas you're fusing (to be precise, it'll be the next persona up, base-level wise, from the average of the base levels of the two personas you're fusing, and of the arcana specified by that combination in the fusion table).

Three way fusion is similar, but a little more complex - firstly, it does a regular two-way fusion between the two lowest-level personas, then fuses the result of that with the higher level persona, using a slightly different table, but otherwise the same mechanics. 4-way+ fusions are all fixed recipes, so just look at what you need for those as you unlock them.

Skill inheritance is mostly just random, with the caveat that all personas have affinities for particular types of skills, so they're more likely to inherit those if they're available (Black Frost, for instance, has a Dark affinity, so he'll pick up Mudo skills more commonly than others). Mostly, this just means that if you really want to transfer a particular skill set onto a fusion result, you're going to reselect your fusion ingredients repeatedly until you get lucky (protip for 3-ways - you just need to select the last two personas, not all three).

Now, you can do all of that by poring over the fusion tables and persona lists, and working out levels yourself, but a far easier option is this utility here, which lets you search for personas by just about any criteria you can imagine (name/level/arcana/skills/etc), then do a reverse fusion search to find out what combinations you can use to create them.

It'll also tell you all the skills a persona can learn via levelling up (as well as much more detail about the skills than you get in-game), and has a standard fusion calculator, so you can experiment with fusions without having to pull everything out of your compendium (i never found that particularly useful, though, given the persona search and reverse fusion calculator).

TheExodu5

Banned
I've found that I can't get certain persona to learn some skills. It seems they are incompatible. I had this issue with trying to get mamudo on someone, I forget who.

I've also found that I couldn't get two skills concurrently. I wanted Invigorate 2 and Growth 2 on my Ganga, but after 15 minutes of trying, they would never show up at the same time.

Anyways, I didn't get to play last night...I can't wait to go home and get some more hours in. Sadly, I reached my 6GB cap on my iPhone 3G, so I can't stream any more endurance run at work for a few weeks. :(

Ourobolus

Banned
While I usually shy away from using any sort of guide for my first time through a game, I make an exception for SMT. Having a demon fusing guide is so ridiculously handy from start to finish, and it actually allows me to plan ahead and not waste time trying to fuse demons with skills that they can't inherit anyway.
Or, if I run into a boss that is using a certain element or attack, I can see if there's a demon around my level that I can fuse to defend against it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ourobolus said:
While I usually shy away from using any sort of guide for my first time through a game, I make an exception for SMT. Having a demon fusing guide is so ridiculously handy from start to finish, and it actually allows me to plan ahead and not waste time trying to fuse demons with skills that they can't inherit anyway.
Or, if I run into a boss that is using a certain element or attack, I can see if there's a demon around my level that I can fuse to defend against it.

I have the DoubleJump guide. I don't really use it for persona fusing, but it's incredibly handy as a day planner. At the start of each month, they basically have a calendar table that shows all of the available S-Links and special activities each day. It really helps me decide what I want to do that day rather than having to hunt around first.

The P4 guide has a far better format than the P3 guide, which was pretty crappy (it was basically a day to day walkthrough).

Ourobolus

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I have the DoubleJump guide. I don't really use it for persona fusing, but it's incredibly handy as a day planner. At the start of each month, they basically have a calendar table that shows all of the available S-Links and special activities each day. It really helps me decide what I want to do that day rather than having to hunt around first.

The P4 guide has a far better format than the P3 guide, which was pretty crappy (it was basically a day to day walkthrough).
Yeah, I have the DoubleJump guides as well. Awesome stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
I just had to buy the guide because it has to go next to my Persona 1/2/3/Nocturne/Devil Summoner 1 guides! Plus they're good reads.:D

The Persona 1 guide was pretty much garbage, just page after page of maps, that's it. But it's got a big ol' Igor picture on the front so it's all good.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wish I had the Nocturne guide. I only have the e-guide, which I do not like at all, thanks to the need to run it in flash inside the browser window. :(

TheExodu5 said:
I wish I had the Nocturne guide. I only have the e-guide, which I do not like at all, thanks to the need to run it in flash inside the browser window. :(

Well I have it but that thing has errors up the ying yang :/

Tamanon

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Well I have it but that thing has errors up the ying yang :/

Even the P4 guide has weird errors in it. Some of the fusions don't work, and they randomly recopied pages into wrong areas. Like Naoto's skillset is just Kanji's.

Red Scarlet

TheExodu5 said:
I've found that I can't get certain persona to learn some skills. It seems they are incompatible. I had this issue with trying to get mamudo on someone, I forget who.

I've also found that I couldn't get two skills concurrently. I wanted Invigorate 2 and Growth 2 on my Ganga, but after 15 minutes of trying, they would never show up at the same time.

Anyways, I didn't get to play last night...I can't wait to go home and get some more hours in. Sadly, I reached my 6GB cap on my iPhone 3G, so I can't stream any more endurance run at work for a few weeks. :(

You probably want to have Ganga's ingredients to have as few heal/ice spells as possible (or only the ones that she starts with) and a couple of spells she won't inherit, like fire, to have a higher chance of getting Growth 2 and Invigorate 2. You have to find the right amount though so she still gets 4 abilities passed on; too many 'copies/doubles' between the ingredients will give her fewer possible things passed on. Alice has taught me that well.

This was one of the few games I really didn't want to use a guide for, at least on the first playthrough. I find part of the fun of games like these is finding everything out as you go along and realizing how much of an idiot you are, lol. I can't even count how many times I was like "wait....ohhhhhhhhh".

ultron87

Progress Report:

I'm up to Void Quest 7 now and it's still my first day in the dungeon (I did have Fox top us off once). I decided to keep on trucking and just fight my way through instead of running back to the last dungeon to level up, and it has gone pretty well. When I got to 7 I did run into a group of 5 of those terrifying baby things, and they apparently all cast Mind Slice. This made me remember that I hadn't saved in awhile so I quickly Vanish Balled and Go-homed out, because I felt that tragedy could very very easily occur in that encounter.

I just want my Black Frost to level one time and get Agidyne, because I imagine that that, combined with a Mind Charge and Fire Amp, will do amazing damage. Unfortunately it seems like none of the stuff on the lower floors are weak to fire or ice, and a ton are weak to lightning, so I have to keep swapping something in that has Zio.

Also, the 7th floor is extraordinarily disorienting.

God damn, this game is awesome. Though I might actually be enjoying the crazy ass story shenanigans (
Camp trip, Teddie somehow growing a fucking body etc.
) more than the actual dungeon crawling. They're at least really close to each other in level of enjoyment.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1) Light and Dark spells are bullshit. There's nothing more cheap than being OHKO'ed with absolutely no warning, and I don't really see the point in you having them either. They're either a cheap way of killing an enemy, or the only (SP costly) way of killing an enemy resistant to everything else.
haha and to think Persona 3/4 are actually generous. In P3 you get homunculus that protect you from hama/mudo spells, and in P4 you get homunculus+teammates would endure a mortal blow for you if you are facing certain death.

The one shotting is annoying, but I can see why they put it. It brings tension to the dungeon crawling and makes you take normal battles seriously.

Foxtail

Neo Member
OK, I'm seriously thinking about getting this game. I liked Persona 3 well enough, but i was disappointed that it didn't engage me as well as I wanted it to. I ended up quitting after around 7-8 hours, which I know is just a fraction of the game.

Is there anything you can tell me about Persona 4 that might indicate that I will stick with it for the long haul?

darkwings said:
is this normal? I am getting whipped in the first castle. I have ran out of SP items.

Honestly, I feel like the first dungeon is probably the hardest part of the game. If you're out of SP restoring items you can always leave the dungeon and go home, then return the next day. It remembers the highest floor you've reached, so even if you choose to re-enter at floor one to grind a little more, it will always let you return to the highest level you've reached. I recommend going back in at level 1 if you're having difficulty.

Foxtail said:
OK, I'm seriously thinking about getting this game. I liked Persona 3 well enough, but i was disappointed that it didn't engage me as well as I wanted it to. I ended up quitting after around 7-8 hours, which I know is just a fraction of the game.

Is there anything you can tell me about Persona 4 that might indicate that I will stick with it for the long haul?

What exactly didn't you like about 3? In general I find that 4 has a lot more personality than 3, and is more stylish in general. One of the biggest improvements is the ability to control all your characters instead of just the main one. That was probably my biggest complaint with three, sometimes the AI was pretty dense when it came to SP wasting. Also important is that the menus have been pretty streamlined compared to 3. They're still kinda jankey by regular standards, but they're at least an improvement on the old ones.

Ourobolus

Banned
Foxtail said:

Red Scarlet will hunt you down and destroy you if you quit.

Tamanon

Banned
Foxtail said:

They do a better job of spreading the game between story and dungeon modes, and since you pick the days you go in the dungeon, you can switch modes pretty much at will and do what you want to in the game. Plus the interplay between the characters really makes the story more personal, IMO. I loved Persona 3, but it didn't have nearly as much development of the characters, and interesting ones at that(outside of Yukiko's S-link)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
almost at the end zomg.

nice set of twists at the end

MASSIVE SPOILERS

I was surprised to see they had the balls to kill nanako.... but actually they didn't! it was still kinda wtf
Also I could see the
Adachi thing coming a mile away, after it was found Namatame wasn't the real culprit
but I still enjoyed every scene.

Also the music that plays in the dungeon I'm now is really badass.

Tamanon

Banned
Error said:
almost at the end zomg.

nice set of twists at the end

MASSIVE SPOILERS

I was surprised to see they had the balls to kill nanako.... but actually they didn't! it was still kinda wtf
Also I could see the
Adachi thing coming a mile away, after it was found Namatame wasn't the real culprit
but I still enjoyed every scene.

Also the music that plays in the dungeon I'm now is really badass.

If you get the bad ending, the really bad one.

Nanako really dies, and it fast forwards to March and you leave a lonely Dojima back at home
:lol

Tamanon said:

Nanako really dies, and it fast forwards to March and you leave a lonely Dojima back at home

Yeah, I totally almost got that one. Then I just decided to check a FAQ, since I knew there were multiple endings and this seemed like an important choice. Personally I really want to
throw that bastard into the TV

Minamu

ultron87 said:
I just want my Black Frost to level one time and get Agidyne, because I imagine that that, combined with a Mind Charge and Fire Amp, will do amazing damage. Unfortunately it seems like none of the stuff on the lower floors are weak to fire or ice, and a ton are weak to lightning, so I have to keep swapping something in that has Zio.
Try making a persona with 4 ma-magics. The dungeons will be a breeze after that imo.

Curufinwe

Error said:
haha and to think Persona 3/4 are actually generous. In P3 you get homunculus that protect you from hama/mudo spells, and in P4 you get homunculus+teammates would endure a mortal blow for you if you are facing certain death.

The one shotting is annoying, but I can see why they put it. It brings tension to the dungeon crawling and makes you take normal battles seriously.

I completely agree. As an example, the GB Endurance episode where they got Hamaed on the 5th floor of a dungeon was an awesome moment.

Curufinwe

Tamanon said:

That ending and the credits that follow are incredibly depressing.

ultron87

Minamu said:
Try making a persona with 4 ma-magics. The dungeons will be a breeze after that imo.

I'm up to the boss room now (unfortunately no time to beat him before bed). Black Frost with Maragion and Fire Amp made the tanks groups/pretty much everything else a breeze. Thankfully I was able to use him more on the upper floors because groups stopped containing those annoying arms that are lightning weak, which caused me to switch to something with Zio since I don't use Kanji. I was able to use Black Frost enough to get Agidyne, which from what I can see on the few enemies I tested it on, does a crap load of damage.

I'll try the boss tomorrow sometime, and if I have trouble I can always go back down a grind a bit more so that Yukiko can get Mediarama, which I imagine would be kind of useful as well. But I'm not that worried.

polg

I've been playing the game for 4 - 5 hours and loving it.

Now, I missed the first day of the sports club. Does this mean I can't join at all? I can't figure out how to find the clubs :/ I'm on 4/20

Tamanon

Banned
polg said:
I've been playing the game for 4 - 5 hours and loving it.

Now, I missed the first day of the sports club. Does this mean I can't join at all? I can't figure out how to find the clubs :/ I'm on 4/20

First floor, go to the end of the hall, the very end where you see a doorway, just hit X there and you can choose which one to join. 4/21 is the next day you can join.

polg

Tamanon said:
First floor, go to the end of the hall, the very end where you see a doorway, just hit X there and you can choose which one to join. 4/21 is the next day you can join.

Ok, trying that now :)

Althane

I'mma gonna reboot my playthrough of the game (I'm only on the second month/rescue, so it's not that bad) just because I haven't played in a while, and need to re-immerse myself.

But I was playing around tonight, and I gotta say... why does this game have the catchiest music ever? I swear I find myself humming it all the time.

Oh, and a quick question, I know the Sigfried persona in P3 was pretty much a kill-all at the endgame (I know mine wasn't even that optimized and it still owned everybody's ass except those resistant/null/drain to Slash (tragedy, really. That's what Surt was for! BURN IT IN THE FLAMES OF HELL!)), I was just wondering which SL's have the generally considered "best" stories and the "best" end-game personas. I'm gonna go for the ones I like anyways, but it'd be a useful bit to know.

(Also, the Kitsune one is cool, basing it around quests like that)

kai3345

Banned
Ugh.....I think I may have it the much talked about but rarley seen "fuck up so bad managing your time you can't continue point"

I played on easy so I could get the 10 continue games (I've heard this was a pretty hardcore RPG so I decided to take it easy, and the combat is the same as on normal, but it gives you 10 continues.)

I guess I've never really noticed it but I guess I've just been using the continues to blow through the bosses and I thought I was doing OK but I eventually got to the
Kanji
boss fight, and I'm totally getting my ass handed to me and I've run out of continues. At first I thought this was normal since everyone's said that this was a hardcore RPG. But after reading peoples comments about the game, I don't think it's supposed to be this hard, especially on easy.

Unless there's some kind of special strategy I don't know about, I think I may have to restart, which I don't really want to do since I'm already sortof far in.

And "just leveling up my social links" isn't an option, at least I think. I checked the weather report and at the end of the week it said it was going to rain for 2 days in a row, and if I remember correctly it has to rain 3 days in a row for whoever is in the TV to die. And I've never seen just 2 days in a row of rain, so I'm pretty much assuming that that 3rd day is rain.

So yeah, and tips on how to get me out of this?

Tamanon

Banned
kai3345 said:
Ugh.....I think I may have it the much talked about but rarley seen "fuck up so bad managing your time you can't continue point"

I played on easy so I could get the 10 continue games (I've heard this was a pretty hardcore RPG so I decided to take it easy, and the combat is the same as on normal, but it gives you 10 continues.)

I guess I've never really noticed it but I guess I've just been using the continues to blow through the bosses and I thought I was doing OK but I eventually got to the
Kanji
boss fight, and I'm totally getting my ass handed to me and I've run out of continues. At first I thought this was normal since everyone's said that this was a hardcore RPG. But after reading peoples comments about the game, I don't think it's supposed to be this hard, especially on easy.

Unless there's some kind of special strategy I don't know about, I think I may have to restart, which I don't really want to do since I'm already sortof far in.

And "just leveling up my social links" isn't an option, at least I think. I checked the weather report and at the end of the week it said it was going to rain for 2 days in a row, and if I remember correctly it has to rain 3 days in a row for whoever is in the TV to die. And I've never seen just 2 days in a row of rain, so I'm pretty much assuming that that 3rd day is rain.

Yeah, you shouldn't be blowing that many continues on him. Keep in mind if you dont' want to completely restart, if you keep going so that the person dies(by going to that final day after the rain) it sends you back a week in time and deletes any progress you made. So you'd get your items back or time to level.

Yaweee

kai3345 said:

Kanji

That's the hardest boss in the game, in my opinion, or perhaps just the best designed.

If you don't have a suite of buff/debuff spells (the kajas and kundas), it is worth getting a Persona that is strong to physical and has some of those skills. I think Rakshasha (sic) was useful for me. Also, Dekaja to dispel the enemy's Heat Riser will be a huge help, as not only will it keep them from doing so much damage, but they'll waste turns to recast it.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
kai3345 said:

Kanji

I think you're just used to the "security" of using your restarts. This game CAN be hard if you don't play smart. You can still lose a fight if you're overleveled, and you can sure as hell still win a fight if you're underleveled. The problem is, with the 10 continues, it's easy to not take the battle system seriously. "Oh, I'll just use a restart if I die." Megaten games are SUPPOSED to be punishing. You are SUPPOSED to be afraid of dying. You are SUPPOSED to play incredibly cautiously. Something that you won't learn if you continue to depend on your restarts.

Unlike Final Fantasy or most other traditional JRPGs, Megaten games aren't a mathematical formula of damage vs. total HP. You have to keep track of turn order, buffs and debuffs (they can make or break a battle), and ESPECIALLY weaknesses (both yours, and the enemy's). If you're having a problem with
Kanji
, you don't get the battle system yet. I don't blame you, it could take a while for it to fully sink in.

As you said, it's nearly impossible to screw up your game so bad you have to restart. Your "problem" should NOT warrant a restart. You're supposed to die in Megaten games. A LOT. If you can't beat him after a few more tries, take an hour or so to level up. You still have a few game days left before the fog sets in, so you're more than fine. If you STILL can't beat him, use a guide to do so. Dissect the guide, and try to figure out exactly what you should or shouldn't do in a fight.

Top Bottom