• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Haha, my university was on strike when Persona 4 came out. Beat it in 7 days. That means I played more than 10 hours a day on average.

Yaweee

Blueblur1 said:
Destructoid is reporting a Persona 5 rumor. Old? http://bit.ly/me3ff

Some poor Junior got banned for it in the SMT: Strange Journey thread.

duckroll said:
It's just an article about SMT Pachislot being launched in Japan, and it ends off by saying that the pachislot games will feature many systems which will be familiar to the fans of the series itself, and that together with the PS3 Persona 5 (which they assume will be announced and offers no source whatsoever) it will create a boost in the popularity of SMT branding all over Japan.

darkwings said:
getting pushed into a TV. Comon, that is kinda lame.

Still, cant wait to play more.

It's called symbolism, the final boss will explain it.

P3 has symbolism with the Dark hour as well.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Fimbulvetr said:
It's called symbolism, the final boss will explain it.

P3 has symbolism with the Dark hour as well.

We are living our lives.
Abound with so much information.
Come on, let go of the remote.
Don't you know you're letting all the junk flood in?
I try to stop the flow, double clicking on the go
But it's no use; hey, I'm being consumed
Loading... Loading... Loading...
Quickly reaching maximum capacity
Warning... Warning... Warning!
Gonna short-circuit my identity.

Get up on your feet, tear down the walls.
Catch a glimpse of the hollow world.
Snooping 'round will get you nowehere.
You're locked up in your mind...
We are all trapped in a maze of relationships that goes on with or without you.
I swim in the sea of the unconscious.
I'll search for your heart, pursuing my true self

;)

I wish I knew what my real final time would have been. I clocked out at 175 hours or something, but I'm always juggling playing games with going online, so there have been countless times when I've left Persona 4 running idle for half a day without actually playing it.

I would have refrained from turning my computer on at all to prevent that, but I referred to guides quite often in order to find out what enemies are weak to what (because having spells reflected back at you isn't very fun), what you can trade fish for, what's available on the shopping channel, how to fuse certain Personas, etc.

In hindsight, it's amazing I managed to avoid spoiling things for myself. I did accidentally learn that Nanako would be kidnapped, but I was only one in-game day away from that happening at the time anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, I think the last boss
was rather unnecessary from a plot perspective. You beat Adachi, who acted as a puppetmaster all along, and you then find out that there's another puppetmaster who "possessed" Adachi (Ameno-Sagiri). That was all very well, but then you find out that there's yet ANOTHER puppetmaster (Izenami), who explains away the previous one as nothing more than "a part of me from long ago" (or something similar). Talk about completely undermining what had previously been a good twist. And for no other reason than to do it a second time, thereby losing it's impact.

I think the pacing would have been a lot better if Adachi was much, much harder and more dramatic, and had two forms (the second form could be the equivalent of the Ameno-Sagiri boss fight). Izanami would have revealed herself after you beat Adachi, and then you go to the last dungeon to find and beat her.

My bad. I was under the impression that this topic was assumed to have spoilers. Probably because I spent so long avoiding it out of paranoia. Haha. Anyway, sorted now. Thanks. I'm glad you caught that and not somebody else who hasn't beat it. I'd be less concerned with being banned than I would spoiling such a great game for somebody.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Ben2749 said:
My bad. I was under the impression that this topic was assumed to have spoilers. Probably because I spent so long avoiding it out of paranoia. Haha. Anyway, sorted now. Thanks. I'm glad you caught that and not somebody else who hasn't beat it. I'd be less concerned with being banned than I would spoiling such a great game for somebody.

Just looking out for fellow juniors ;)

Tamanon said:
The best part was Jeff going ballistic after bufula was used!

On new game+ now. Having all stats maxed means fishing time at night!

The best part recently was this:

go go go exy. I'm just grinding some gold hands for 30k+(150k+ total) right now...

The bonus dungeon is about the same size as the other dungeons, but it's pretty much the easiest one in the game to me, since I have all my super stuff by then and just blast through with Scat Hatch.

About bust an artery laughing so hard.

Frawdder

Bought this game thanks to the endurance run. I'm up to the final dungeon on my way to the true ending (I got the bad ending, which just plain sucked, then reloaded). It's the first JPRG I've ever played and I've really enjoyed every minute of it. I'm looking forward to playing through a second time to hopefully get max s-links.

ProudClod said:
I wouldn't suggest jumping into P3 right away. I personally liked P3 more than P4, but Persona 4 just had an incredible amount of gameplay improvements. If you play P3 now, you'll feel like you're playing a gimped and stripped down version of P4.

Since you played P4 first, here's the order I recommend: Nocturne, Devil Summoner 2 (you'll appreciate the nice change of pace, considering Nocturne and DDS have almost identical battle systems), DDS 1 and 2, and then P3. By the time you get to P3, you won't miss P4's features nearly as much.

Why do you like P3 better than P4?

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
momolicious said:
Why do you like P3 better than P4?

It's hard to explain, but I'm going to try anyways.

I like Persona 3 because of how it made me feel. It was the only game that I sat down and thought about for several hours after completion. I played the last 15 hours of the game in one huge chunk, sacrificing a night's sleep. As soon as the credits came on, I realized that I have finished one of the greatest video games every created. I went to my kitchen, made myself some coffee, sat down, and spent several hours replaying key events from Persona 3 in my head. I thought about what the game meant, philosophically, symbolically, literally. I went back downstairs and watched the Burn My Dread opening a good 4 times. Then I got on my laptop, and watched Persona 3 videos on youtube until I fell asleep.

It was an amazingly surreal experience. A video game has never moved me so much. So, while I acknowledge the fact that Persona 4 is a better game, that it has better characters, that it probably has the better story... It never moved me like Persona 3. Mind you, I cried my eyes out on a certain scene on the last month of the game -- but it wasn't the same.

Minamu

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, that's me. Streamed Metroid Prime a couple days ago. Did bad, though.
Cool :D I watched your Super Metroid videos way back when. Good stuff ^^ I bought it on VC after that :)

anyway, i think I'll continue with P4 before buying FES. Just gotta get to it someday.

Curufinwe

TheExodu5 said:
I'm getting frustrated watching the endurance run. :lol Vinny seems to be having the good ideas, but Jeff is way too much on the offensive at times. It took so long to start guarding with Yukiko when fighting (MaruQ spoiler):
Shadow Teddie

Jeff did some expert guarding on a recent boss... might have been the Void Quest boss battle.

Curufinwe

Ben2749 said:
2) A minor issue, as it's only happened two or three times, but there have been instances where I misjudged when I needed to recast a party buff. As a result, only one or two party members recieved it, as you have to wait for a buff to wear off before it can be recast on that character. So I then either have to recast that buff at different times for everybody from that point on, or wait until it wears off everybody (and therefore leave a few members unbuffed for a few turns). This could easily have been avoided by either letting you see what buffs/debuffs are on your party members at any time, or by allowing you to recast a buff on members who already have it (which would reset the three-turn timer).

3) I really don't like the idea of getting a game over when the main character dies, regardless of your other party members. I know that if your whole party had to die before getting a game over would make the game too easy, I think it's preferable to losing progress due to a single moment of bad luck.

You can see what buff & debuffs are on your characters - just select an item like Royal Jelly that you use on an individual character, and then scroll thru your party and see their buff/debuff status over their heads. This video is a SPOILER for anyone who hasn't done the VQ yet.

Persona 4 lets the MC be saved from a fatal attack by his party members, which means that it's more than just bad luck if the MC dies with everyone else still alive.

What's this "endurance run" that you guys are talking about?

Oh, have any of you guys used the "Pringle King" trick in
Magatsu Mandala World 1
, that lets you auto-level (and get millions of yen) while you go off and do something else? I'm thinking about using it on my second playthrough in order to make filling out the Compendium/getting specific skills on certain Personas easier. Or I might even load up my last save file from my first playthrough, use it, and then I can start the second playthrough with more than enough money to see me through the whole game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ben2749 said:
What's this "endurance run" that you guys are talking about?

Jeff And Vinny from GiantBomb (giantbomb.com) are playing through Persona 4 in it's entirety and streaming it. Full voice commentary as they play the game, of course.

They're about 50-60 hours in now, I believe. I'm watching it on my iPhone through the GiantBomb app at work. I'm up to 7/25. :D

Ben2749 said:
Oh, have any of you guys used the "Pringle King" trick in
Magatsu Mandala World 1
, that lets you auto-level (and get millions of yen) while you go off and do something else?

I think they may have heard of it somewhere. :D *look down*

Fimbulvetr said:
If you need to level up I'd suggest pringle-grinding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6u3QWtxbMA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FMasterLL&feature=player_profilepage.

The enemy you need to find is at 3:00. Go alone and equip a persona with Repel for it's physical affinity(Arahabaki is a good one), and an item that nulifies enrage. Guard for your first turn, use attack on one of the bambinos and ONLY then activate Rush. You can leave it going for a while but there are flaws in this system, if the MC gets a critical there is a chance he'll start targeting the kings instead. Pretty easy to fix if you stick around and watch, but I suggest you mute to block out Rise's "Gee, it's like an endless stream of 'em!" and listen to some music.

ultron87

TheExodu5 said:
Jeff And Vinny from GiantBomb (giantbomb.com) are playing through Persona 4 in it's entirety and streaming it. Full voice commentary as they play the game, of course.

They're about 50-60 hours in now, I believe. I'm watching it on my iPhone through the GiantBomb app at work. I'm up to 7/25. :D

I watched about 10 episodes from around the middle of the game before I started actually playing it. So I did get a few things spoiled for me, but I never would've played the game if I hadn't, so I'm okay with it.

Now I'm pretty much just watching their reactions to the highlights of the game as I get past them in my own playthrough, which is pretty entertaining. At the rate I'm going I'll catch them soon enough. I'm already at the point in the game where they were around episode 60ish and I started 2 weeks ago.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I finally bought Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES. $60 for both. I'm pretty excited to play these games. Although finding the time to play them is going to be the hard part.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zoso said:
I finally bought Persona 4 and Persona 3 FES. $60 for both. I'm pretty excited to play these games. Although finding the time to play them is going to be the hard part.

If you're short on time, play through P4, then do P3 if you still feel like playing some more.

If you're sure you'll play through both, then you can start with P3.

Yaweee

momolicious said:
Is the good ending and True ending almost/pretty much the same? If it is it is not worth doing the extra dungeon...

You need to get the True ending. The "bonus" dungeon is just like any other dungeon, without any real step up in difficulty from the previous one.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
TheExodu5 said:
If you're sure you'll play through both, then you can start with P3.
I'll definitely play through both. I'm not worried about that. I just don't expect to be done with them anytime soon.

I plan to play them in order

momolicious said:
Is the good ending and True ending almost/pretty much the same? If it is it is not worth doing the extra dungeon...

Why woud you willingly stop playing a game shortly before completing it? It's not like the last dungeon/boss is dull. Granted, the plot feels a bit redundant at that point, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just as much fun as the rest of the game.

Besides, the last boss battle is great, and one of the highlights of the game.

DR2K

Banned
I'm so close to breaking down and buying a PS2(owns a PS3) because of this(and to finish up FES). I have the time and money, but I don't want another system. . . ugh. . .

TheExodu5

Banned
Making my journey through Void Quest (at level 8 now). I just made the most overpowered persona ever. :D
2cqoas9.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you're interested in how the game tries to relay the central theme of the story, then it's worth finishing the true ending to see it through. If you're just playing for the RPG mechanics, then I guess it can go either way.

Ben2749 said:
Why woud you willingly stop playing a game shortly before completing it? It's not like the last dungeon/boss is dull. Granted, the plot feels a bit redundant at that point, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just as much fun as the rest of the game.

Besides, the last boss battle is great, and one of the highlights of the game.

because in the last bonus dungeon, you cant level up and rest/skipday to heal so i dont think i can make it through as I am not really high leveled lol

What level are you? By that point in the game, you should be raking in so much money from fights, that paying for the Fox to heal you should be entirely reasonable (unless you've barely increased his Social Link level at all). Remember that you can also visit Deidara and sell any materials you pick up for even more money.

I personally thought the last dungeon was one of the easiest in the game, as the difficulty didn't scale appropriately for it. If you have to though, go grind in
Magatsu Inaba/Mandala

What level is Rise? As soon as she learns the ability that restores 5% of your SP after a battle ends, you'll find things MUCH easier. 5% may not sound like a lot, but if you clear fights with each character using only one or two spells, you can finish with more SP than you started with. I went through the entire last dungeon without using the Fox once, and all of my characters had over 75% of their SP left by the time I reached the end. Hell, you could even go to the first dungeon, and win fights there with normal attacks (which will be incredibly fast), until you've maxed everybody out again. The most it will take is 20 fights.

If you have any SP recovery items, give them to a character who is low, and refrain from using any magic attacks until they're recovered a bit. Also, have you beat the bonus boss in
Heaven
? You get an item that halves the SP cost of any spell, which can really help healers conserve SP.

The whole point of shuffle is to get new Personas, so yes. Even if you've already had the Personas in that Shuffle, you can fuse them to make new ones.

The only time it's not worth it is if you're revisiting a dungeon later, and the Personas shown are so low level, that they aren't even worth fusing.

This is assuming you're good enough to get the Persona you want, and avoid the "Null bonus" penalty. If you suck at the shuffles, then maybe you should be a little more selective in when you do them.

yehhey311

Neo Member
Hello, I'm brand new to Persona 4, and to this forum actually, so I had a few basic questions for the seasoned persona 4 vets.

This game has a lot of choices (especially with respect to social links), and I'm not generally used to games that when you choose to do one thing, you're skipping everything else going on at the same time (takes up a block of time). Is it acceptable/desirable to be doing the social link events evenly, or should I be concentrating on certain ones long before others?

Also, how often should I be concerned about leveling up? There are so many events and choices, I'm not usually sure how to split my time. Should I just worry about leveling up and persona fusing after a new dungeon is introduced?

Lastly, what should my approach be towards persona fusing? So far, I've just been seeing what goes together in a new persona that keeps most of the desired powers from the original personas while adding a few new ones and a higher level. It seems like people are more meticulous about this, but I don't know what the overall strategy is other than "oh that one seems good...i think."

In general all of these questions are basically asking is there truly no "good" way of doing this as the game progresses? Is it flexible enough that whatever choices I make, I'll end up with something that works (albeit in a different way). What I'm essentially trying to avoid is the situation that I get far into the game and get stuck and everyone would just tell me..."you should have just fused this and this persona after increasing these stats and social link before trying that part of the game." I have a bad feeling that this could happen.

ultron87

yehhey311 said:
Lastly, what should my approach be towards persona fusing? So far, I've just been seeing what goes together in a new persona that keeps most of the desired powers from the original personas while adding a few new ones and a higher level. It seems like people are more meticulous about this, but I don't know what the overall strategy is other than "oh that one seems good...i think."

An important thing to know while fusing is that you can get the result to have a different group of inherited skills (the ones marked in red) by backing out and repicking the two you were going to fuse. So no need to settle for what it inherits on the first go, keep remixing them until you get skills you really want.

stupei

yehhey311 said:
In general all of these questions are basically asking is there truly no "good" way of doing this as the game progresses? Is it flexible enough that whatever choices I make, I'll end up with something that works (albeit in a different way).

There is no one way to do things necessarily as long as you are actually thinking about the type of persona each social link is connected to. Pay attention to the abilities and stats of your personas, work out the ones you like or which ones are best in a particular dungeon, then beef up that social link. Good idea to work on the links with your party as early as possible, of course, because the benefits in battle can be incredibly useful.

The only way you can really screw yourself over is if you always put off dungeon crawling until the very last days possible and then discover none of your current personas are really equipped for the boss fight and you have no time left. If you're not totally confident yet in how you're approaching the game, better to go earlier so you have time to rethink your strategy if you need to.

edgefusion

yehhey311 said:
Hello, I'm brand new to Persona 4, and to this forum actually, so I had a few basic questions for the seasoned persona 4 vets.

This game has a lot of choices (especially with respect to social links), and I'm not generally used to games that when you choose to do one thing, you're skipping everything else going on at the same time (takes up a block of time). Is it acceptable/desirable to be doing the social link events evenly, or should I be concentrating on certain ones long before others?

Also, how often should I be concerned about leveling up? There are so many events and choices, I'm not usually sure how to split my time. Should I just worry about leveling up and persona fusing after a new dungeon is introduced?

In general all of these questions are basically asking is there truly no "good" way of doing this as the game progresses? Is it flexible enough that whatever choices I make, I'll end up with something that works (albeit in a different way). What I'm essentially trying to avoid is the situation that I get far into the game and get stuck and everyone would just tell me..."you should have just fused this and this persona after increasing these stats and social link before trying that part of the game." I have a bad feeling that this could happen.

I completed Persona 3 not long and have just started Persona 4 and my strategy so far has been to pretty much go with the flow and do whatever feels right on a day to day basis. It seemed to work for me in Persona 3, although some of the later boss fights did have me going to guides which would tell me that I should've fused persona x. But for the most part it was "hey this persona seems cool, do it!".

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
yehhey311 said:

There is a way to play this game where you can complete all social links, full persona compendium and everything from a clean save. However, as a first timer, you shouldn't worry about doing that. My advice is "just play". Don't stress out over the calendar system. It's pretty much impossible to fuck up to the point of having to restart. So, just enjoy the game and its freedom :)

I still have some advice though. There are a few things you can do to maximize your efficiency without having to plan and schedule everything out. For example, if you are going to do a Hierophant Social Link on a certain day, MAKE SURE to bring a Hierophant persona along. It will maximize the chances of leveling up your social link. So instead of spending 3 or 4 afternoons to a level up a social link, you might end up spending only 2.

Another thing to remember is SUNDAYS and DATE EVENTS (Holidays, special "off" days). You CANNOT level up your social links during these events. These days only add to the probability of leveling up your social links on a regular day. Thus, if you've already done a social link once or twice without leveling it up, DO NOT waste a Sunday or a Holiday to take that person out.

That's pretty much it. Spend time however you enjoy it most. Keep track of rainy days, and make sure to study often :)

darkwings said:
they just spin very fast for me when i shuffle, can you control this later on?

It's random. Sometimes it's fast, and sometimes it's slow. I only missed what I wanted about twice in the entire game, but I think I'm naturally good at that kind of thing. If you're struggling, then maybe you should decline any that have a lot of "null bonus" penalty cards.

yehhey311 said:

You're overthinking things, just like I did when I started out. I didn't really go out of my way to fuse good Personas, but when I did stumble across a good fusion, I would reselect until I got it with some good abilities.

As for Social Links, make your teammates your priority, as they gain helpful abilities in combat when their SL gets to certain levels. Oh, and the Fox (you'll know what I mean later), as it will help immensely later in the game. As for everybody else, don't worry about maxing out everybody, as you won't be able to do it on your first playthrough (unless you're very lucky). I concentrated on only a few characters at a time rather than splitting them evenly. Since only certain characters are available on certain days, you might be best off sticking with about three or four before moving on to somebody else.

Though if a character specifically asks you if you want to hang out, say yes. You level up your Social Link faster that way. Also, try and prioritise people who have a Social Link that matches one of your Persona (ie. Chariot, Emperor, etc.), as that also levels them up faster. if you can summon a matching one for cheap, sometimes it's a good idea to do so just to max out a character quicker.

But again, don't think about things too much. Just play the game normally, and you'll find that you pick up on the best way to manage your time naturally.

Tamanon said:
Actually, the party members can rank up on Sunday phonecalls. Just not other slinks.

Except for the Death Social Link (the old lady), who can ONLY be found on Sundays and holidays. So it's best to use those days to level her up.

Top Bottom