• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elios83

Mm, I wouldn't necessarily agree. FFXV had delays because, from what we've gleaned and heard, the game was still a hot technical mess for a long period of time. Multiple issues with the engine, the extent that SE wanted to put the graphics, and the long string of demos and resultant 'feedback collection sessions' pushed the game further and further back.

In this instance, Persona 5 - the game - is done. The reason for its delay has nothing to do with is development and more-so with its localization and translation efforts, which, in prior communication between ourselves and ATLUS USA, we thought were likely in-line with the Japanese release. (This is obviously not the case.)

Yeah I meant in terms of lenght, 2 months roughly, not the nature of the delay that of course is different ;)
Still it's better that we get a good translation instead a rushed effort with poor translations not conveying the plot and writing properly plus random orthography mistakes.
If they delayed it's because they know the quality is not there yet, these decisions are not taken lightly.

Zero shit that I wanted in February, don't give a fuck about being stacked.

At least Red Dead Redemption 2 I already accepted that it's coming in 2018.

squall23

It's so weird seeing people get so happy for a dual audio patch as a make up for the delay considering most undub patches take mod groups less than a week to make. I mean, it means PS4 players can get in on that too now, but still.....

Pro support is a lock right ?

I hope so, I'd love an even sharper mode for this.
It's kind of hard to tell since the Japanese version came out a while ago before the Pro.

Yeaaaah I love the game but I think they kind of half-assed the VA part.
It's cool if the localization team wants to do it better.

Yeah, I think having more parts voiced in the dub is a great thing. The less awkward silence in any key-ish part the better so I can kind of live with a delay for this at least.

I thought with the game being out in Japan that a Feb release date would be really solid, obviously I was wrong. Was planning on taking some time off work for this, I'm glad I know not to jump the gun too early when booking time off for a game.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has a 360 version and yet the Pro enhanced version in 4K looks incredibly sharp and clean while still running at consistent performance. I wouldn't mind that and HDR for Persona 5 given it's art style it would probably look like playable bullshots in a 4K mode, like Rachet.

RotTR is not a good example imo. That was developed and designed for current gen consoles by Crystal Dynamics and then another dev (Nixxes) ported it down to X360.

Persona 5 is the opposite. It was designed for PS3 and then got ported to PS4. I think they could've done much more with the PS4 version (like having a 60fps mode or even higher resolution) if they wanted, but they didn't. As I said earlier, I don't think hardware limitations are the reason that PS4 version of Persona 5 looks pretty identical to PS3 version.

Could not care less about the delay. The inclusion of the Japanese audio has catapulted my hype from a somewhat lukewarm state back to being super excited.

It's so weird seeing people get so happy for a dual audio patch as a make up for the delay considering most undub patches take mod groups less than a week to make. I mean, it means PS4 players can get in on that too now, but still.....

Do these undub patches allow you to choose language from the menu? Do the games have similar structures in regards to how they handle audio? Are you sure?

Producer

how many people do you think own a cfw ps3?

Are the loadings really that long on OG PS4? Haven't seen any footage of the game in a long time so I'm genuinely wondering. If it is then I think it says more about Atlus not optimizing the game for PS4 than needing extra power to achieve it on Pro, since OG PS4 and PS3 versions look pretty identical. (and both run at 30fps)

Idk about resolution though. If the game is using assets that were made for PS3 then I think it won't look very good on higher resolutions like 4K.

NO the loadings are NOT long..
On OG PS4 , all you get in the transition animation and HOP you're good.
In the more demanding scenes , you'll get at WORST 3 secs of loading ..it's really nothing

ON PS3 , however it's longer

IS this post serious ?
Undub patches are just putting old files back to were they were and hope for the best.
That version will let people choose the language from a menu.. it's much more complicated and the dual voice is NOT the reason for the delay.

Tohsaka

I was going to buy it on PS3 and undub it since I have a second system on CFW, but I'd rather play it on PS4 for the higher resolution so the announcement is good for me.

RotTR is not a good example imo. That was developed and designed for current gen consoles by Crystal Dynamics and then another dev (Nixuss) ported it down to X360.

Persona 5 is the opposite. It was designed for PS3 and then got ported to PS4. I think they could've done much more with the PS4 version (like having a 60fps mode or even higher resolution) if they wanted, but they didn't. As I said earlier, I don't think hardware limitations are the reason that PS4 version of Persona 5 looks pretty identical to PS3 version.

That's actually a good point. Alright let's go with FFXII looks pretty stunning when you up the internal res, and that's a PS2 game with assets that weren't made for HD.

Actually I think the art style for Persona 5 makes it a pretty good candidate for getting a nice bump just from higher resolution even if it started life as a PS3 game.

The Pro should give them extra headroom to do a higher resolution. But I agree I don't expect framerate changes in something like Persona, I'm actually fine with a locked 30fps in a game like this anyway.

NO the loadings are NOT long..
On OG PS4 , all you get in the transition animation and HOP you're good.
In the more demanding scenes , you'll get at WORST 3 secs of loading ..it's really nothing

ON PS3 , however it's longer
I see. That's very good to hear about PS4 version then. I just thought that since the user mentioned having quicker loading then it might've been some disastrous case like Bloodborne during launch period or Wicther 3 on PS4.

The fact that it's delayed, hurts overall. I'm super busy Jan - March with work so this delay doesn't bother me that much personally but I feel for the rest of you.

Still can't wait to play this game!

I'm good with this since my backlog is huge already and Q1 has a lot of things already I have planned to do anyways.

DLC Japan language as well? Sold!

That's actually a good point. Alright let's go with FFXII looks pretty stunning when you up the internal res, and that's a PS2 game with assets that weren't made for HD.

Actually I think the art style for Persona 5 makes it a pretty good candidate for getting a nice bump just from higher resolution even if it started life as a PS3 game.

The Pro should give them extra headroom to do a higher resolution. But I agree I don't expect framerate changes in something like Persona, I'm actually fine with a locked 30fps in a game like this anyway.
Yeah, you're right about P5's art style. I guess in the end it depends on how scale able those assets are. If they can make them look good on higher resolutions then it might be worth the trouble, IF they can do it within a reasonable budget and time frame. Persona 5 is still very niche so they have to take into consideration whether it would make sense financially for them to even make such efforts.

JBwB

Kinnda happy about this news to be honest. February was already too jam packed with great games. It's also great that dual audio is in for the purists.

orochi91

Fair enough.

At least the game will have some breathing room to itself in April.

Dual Audio is a much desired feature, thank god they're including it for free.

BBboy20

From here:
latest

to here:
latest

Blindy

Good News: NiOh is now Day 1 for me

Potential bad news: This and South Park might be same time. Please god no.

For Honor is spared big time with this news.

Honestly, what kind of Pro features would you even want out of a PS3 game?

Set the game to render higher, closer to 4K, with 4K native UI elements, and maybe throw checkerboard in for 4K users to reach sort of a fuller 4K output? 1080p users would get supersample anti-aliasing out of it and some very sharp rendering of the UI elements. Heck, being a PS3 game might even enable enough overhead on the Pro to allow native 4K rendering without any major hit to performance? I don't actually know, just speculating.

That's it, really. Not asking or expecting any sort of reevaluation of graphical features like shadows, lighting, etc. Obviously, I'd only want this if there's time to do this without additional delays -- this particular delay already comes as something of a pretty hefty disappointment to me, but it's been pretty consistently disappointing with the delays for 2 years now, so not exactly an entirely fresh feeling -- this one just hits hard because the game has now successfully launched in Japan and is technically complete, rather than being a delay to add more content or fine-tune the experience. Just a localization delay from what I can tell.

Pretty clear why they delayed it. Between Horizon and Switch hype, this game would've been steamrolled in February.

Given its blockbuster potential, makes sense to move it to a time where it can suck all the air in the room.

Yes, that's absolutely Great IMO. Want to know why?

1. Japanese Audio (especially for free and at Release)is great and definitely worth another month or so of waiting especially if this establishes a precedent for future ATLUS games.

2.I'm always in favor of more polishing time. If devs (or in this case the localisation team) need another month or two for the final Release, let them have it. Better than them rushing any part out.

3. February is an extremely crowded month when it comes to new game Releases, so is January and to some extend march. April is a better pick and will guarantee higher sales and this game deserves them. The better the Sales, the better the next Persona and the higher its product values will be.

It's refreshing to see someone delay a game for that reason instead of suiciding it by sending it head on against some Blockbuster Release.

Blindy

Pretty clear why they delayed it. Between Horizon and Switch hype, this game would've been steamrolled in February.

Given its blockbuster potential, makes sense to move it to a time where it can suck all the air in the room.
South Park, Scalebound, and Yooka Laylee all have Q1/Q2 potential dates though :(

Would be brutal if this and South Park are near each other, even if they cater to much different audiences. Hopefully Kamiya doesn't put Scalebound around these games.

SVxM

Well, I'm sure someone said it before but they should renamed the special "Take Your Heart" edition to "Break Your Heart" edition.

I'm okay with the other delay... I guess but I won't be able to play it because I will be on a trip the following week.

Spyderist

Banned
Is there any point in the yearly cycle where you're not screwed releasing a game? I'm annoyed at the delay, but I don't speak Japanese and the years go by fast now so I can't be too annoyed I guess. If you keep your mortality is perspective you don't want things to come by too fast.

Yeah, you're right about P5's art style. I guess in the end it depends on how scale able those assets are. If they can make them look good on higher resolutions then it might be worth the trouble, IF they can do it within a reasonable budget and time frame. Persona 5 is still very niche so they have to take into consideration whether it would make sense financially for them to even make such efforts.

Yeah, plus it came out in September in Japan so technically they may not have much pressure to do it.

Top Bottom