• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 delayed to April 4, JP voices available as free DLC at launch

When will Persona 5 actually be released in the west?

Results are only viewable after voting.

taoofjord

Considering I would have given up a couple hours into the awkward english dub, I'm excited to hear this. All games should include the original language as an option.

Are the loadings really that long on OG PS4? Haven't seen any footage of the game in a long time so I'm genuinely wondering. If it is then I think it says more about Atlus not optimizing the game for PS4 than needing extra power to achieve it on Pro, since OG PS4 and PS3 versions look pretty identical. (and both run at 30fps)

Idk about resolution though. If the game is using assets that were made for PS3 then I concur it won't look very good on higher resolutions like 4K.

The game loads pretty fast. I guess that the version with the long loading times is the ps3 one.

mankoto

Yeah, that's what it says in the press release

But, as is the case, this means we are going to have to nudge our launch back just a bit - Persona 5 will now release on April 4, 2017. I know, I know - the wait has been agonizing, but the Japanese release of Persona 5 smashed all our expectations, and as a company, we decided that we owed our fans the very best effort to make Persona 5 our gold standard in localization. Practically, this means redoubling our QA and localization efforts, even returning to the studio to record previously unvoiced lines. We don't want to rush this game (yes, you can still post a "Winter 2014" crack on Twitter, but I'm rolling my eyes at you), and in this case, it meant we needed to move the release back for the last time.

TriGen

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Super Mario Switch
Persona 5
All within 30 days. 30 FRICKING DAYS

I was actually thinking that there was so much stuff in Q1 that a delay might mean more time between purchases, but you're right. Buying P5 in Feb or April doesn't actually change much because everything I want is pretty close together regardless. It's funny because there's been quite a few gaps this gen where I didn't buy stuff -- but it seems my most anticipated games are gonna show up at the same time.

mankoto

Did the stream mention an official reason for the delay? Is there another, more plausible guess from the masses?

Yes. In the stream the CEO mentioned that because the game did so well in Japan that western expectations have gone up... A lot. So they hired more people, are making the script better and reworking/adding more VO to the game. It's just a lot of Quality Assurance really.

N30RYU

While they are at it just localize the game in spanish, italian, french and germany and delay it to winter 2017.

Official reason they mentioned = better script quality.

Yes. In the stream the CEO mentioned that because the game did so well in Japan that western expectations have gone up... A lot. So they hired more people, are making the script better and reworking/adding more VO to the game. It's just a lot of Quality Assurance really.

Interesting. I'm sure that adding dual audio also factors into the delay, it is a non-trivial development effort to support it. Just wondering what else was said during the broadcast.

Ugh, I shouldn't be surprised, the tough wait and avoiding spoilers continues...
Atleast the dub is shaping up to be fantastic.

I never should have believed their 2015 nonsense.
Mass Effect is totally getting "delayed" though.

Might as well add a PS4 Pro patch while they are at it.

This. They're already making us wait so long...

Oh hey, John just confirmed my suspicion: there are now lines that are voiced which originally weren't.

Nice.

Honestly, what kind of Pro features would you even want out of a PS3 game?

Rise of the Tomb Raider has a 360 version and yet the Pro enhanced version in 4K looks incredibly sharp and clean while still running at consistent performance. I wouldn't mind that and HDR for Persona 5 given it's art style it would probably look like playable bullshots in a 4K mode, like Rachet.

SoulUnison

Banned
Pro support is a lock right ?

I mean, probably, but there's not a ton you can do with the game besides maybe a straight resolution increase.
If unlocking the frame rate was possible they probably had the horsepower to do it just moving from PS3 to PS4, but it's still 30.
The FPS seems to be an engine limit rather than a hardware one.

Zyrox

*let's Check GAF One Last time before going to bed*
XhrAqC9M7VvMRKMqJseK2q83RF3PnxwH6MOQkD_r8K7bAxUMy5HOSnDbCM20=w245-h250

Guess I'm gonna play For Honor on Valentine's Day...

It's certainly my most anticipated game, but I'm almost 30 and time seems to move faster for me these days. It'll be April in time and the game will be perfect.

Elios83

At least I've tried the dynamic theme and it looks amazing!

Btw who cares, this is just a FFXV-like delay that will improve on the localization quality and give us dual language support.
Not a terrible deal.

vareon

Mixed feelings about the JP voice. I'm pretty sure the English VA cast are a talented bunch that will bring the best of them for this game and I want to try it. On the other hand, the game is about Japanese kids in Japan doing Japan stuff that I almost always use JP voice...

DMiz

At least I've tried the dynamic theme and it looks amazing!

Btw who cares, this is just a FFXV-like delay that will improve on the localization quality and give us dual language support.
Not a terrible deal.

Mm, I wouldn't necessarily agree. FFXV had delays because, from what we've gleaned and heard, the game was still a hot technical mess for a long period of time. Multiple issues with the engine, the extent that SE wanted to put the graphics, and the long string of demos and resultant 'feedback collection sessions' pushed the game further and further back.

In this instance, Persona 5 - the game - is done. The reason for its delay has nothing to do with is development and more-so with its localization and translation efforts, which, in prior communication between ourselves and ATLUS USA, we thought were likely in-line with the Japanese release. (This is obviously not the case.)

Elios83

What is this, a 2 month delay?

Pro patch related perhaps?

It's for localization quality issues.
Doubt that this is Pro related since they'll likely just support higher internal rendering resolution and not even HDR.
Btw given the PS3 gen graphics this game has the potential to run at a really high res on the Pro.

Netto-kun

Additional voiced line and Japanese voice DLC is good.

Apparently the Japanese PS4 version also blocks the Share button. So maaaaaaybe they'll even unblock that feature for the English version.

Top Bottom