• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven777

I haven't really got to Futaba part to judge her yet, but I like what little I have seen of her.

So far the only character I hate is Ryuji. Almost as much as Junpei.

I'm totally fine with Futaba myself. Chie and Yosuke's dumb antics grated on me way worse.

This man speaks the truth.

I haven't really got to Futaba part to judge her yet, but I like what little I have seen of her.

So far the only character I hate is Ryuji. Almost as much as Junpei.

The only thing I don't like about Ryuuji is how [CHARACTER PERSONALITY SPOILERS]
he's so negative about certain things and how vocal he is with his negativity.

Other than that I love Ryuuji's character.

Futaba's all right. I felt lightweight betrayed with Ryuji because he seemed like he might not be exactly what you'd expect him to be for a little while, then jumped headfirst into it.

Anyway, Yusuke is best guy, Makoto is best girl character

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who finds Futaba completely insufferable? She's annoyed me to the point that I am going to take a breather for a week or so from the game. Nobody in P4/P3 was this grating, IMO.

From the promotional material I thought she looked like the worst of the lot and thought I'd be annoyed by her, but I've done a massive 180 on her. She's fantastic, and possibly my favorite member of the whole cast.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of irritating things, I really wish each character had more than 1 "finisher" screen at the end of the battle, because seeing the same thing over and over got old really fast. Yes, it's stylish and feels good, but (probably) a few hundreds of fights in, where MC is the one who does the last hit, I kind of had enough. Same goes with Navi comments, I wish there were more variations of them during battles.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of irritating things, I really wish each character had more than 1 "finisher" screen at the end of the battle, because seeing the same thing over and over got old really fast. Yes, it's stylish and feels good, but (probably) a few hundreds of fights in, where MC is the one who does the last hit, I kind of had enough. Same goes with Navi comments, I wish there were more variations of them during battles.

おお!
ジョーカー、カッコイイ!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
おお!
ジョーカー、カッコイイ!
For the longest time I thought he was saying "ジョーカーがクイーン" and I was very confused each time since it doesn't make sense in any way. Then I noticed the displayed text. Still glad about the
navi change
. Especially because of the
support skills

Is there any character you guys are just "meh" on? I feel all I see is 80% love it and 20% hate it. She has had some good goofy moments so far but Anne is not a fantastic character or anything for me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there any character you guys are just "meh" on? I feel all I see is 80% love it and 20% hate it. She has had some good goofy moments so far but Anne is not a fantastic character or anything for me.
I don't feel anything towards
Haru
, but it's mostly since the character joined so late and I didn't have time to level up that SL. My battle party is mostly set in stone at this point, so it's not like I can get to like that character through fights.

convo

Am I the only one who finds Futaba completely insufferable? She's annoyed me to the point that I am going to take a breather for a week or so from the game. Nobody in P4/P3 was this grating, IMO.

She got a catherine figure in her room so that's alright. Her interactions seemed fun. But of course Navi-commentary is always grating to some people. I can't throw out those good moments just because of that.

raven777

I am indifferent on Anne atm. She doesn't annoy me but I don't really care about her. There isn't really much I like about her other than design (even this I prefer other female characters). It also doesn't help that I don't like her VA (I like her as a singer, but not as a VA)

I got the trophy for hearing them all at some point lol

It would be nice if there was at least one more variation, especially because Anne and Ryuji's are pretty meh. Makoto's is great because you see the madness that lurks within

Futaba is really insufferable at first (the frustration of her dungeon amplifying that by several degrees) but eventually she mellows out and becomes a good junior sidekick. Definitely a more appealing navigator than Fuuka and Rise, although that might just be because she uses her skills to help more often.

convo

Whenever Sojiro and Futaba interact it's great.Whenever we learn more about their relationship and situations in their coops i'd say it's pretty enjoyable. So much better than Dojima telling Nanako he's busy with his job. Dojima might have done a car chase for his daughter, but Sojiro is best dad in my eyes.
edit: well for your consideration, but i wouldn't lose sleep over that

Its not really a spoiler
since they share the same surname...

Do you think "Sakura" [佐倉] is an uncommon surname, or something? In Tokyo, of all places?

And in this thread, there are a lot people who can't play the game until February but are reading for spoiler-free impressions.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to wrap your post in spoiler tags if there's even a bit of doubt. Especially given that there is a dedicated spoiler thread.

hotsoup

Do you think "Sakura" [佐倉] is an uncommon surname, or something? In Tokyo, of all places?

And in this thread, there are a lot people who can't play the game until February but are reading for spoiler-free impressions.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to wrap your post in spoiler tags if there's even a bit of doubt. Especially given that there is a dedicated spoiler thread.

Please show me a game where 2 unrelated characters share the same surname.Do you think the developers are just lazy to think of other names to use and rather just use Sakura twice since it is a common surname in Tokyo? The REAL spoiler is they are not blood-related.

I did not type any spoiler in my post, all my post states is what the earlier poster said is not really a spoiler.

Jintor

i fucking hate that quoting things deactivates the spoilers. Thankfully I have zero context since I'm not up to that part yet

Anyway, to cheat a little, Dynasty Warriors has like 6 Zhangs and only two of them are related.

Please show me a game where 2 unrelated characters share the same surname.

Okay.

http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Landzaat_(VC1)

http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Faldio_Landzaat_(VC1)

Do you think the developers are just lazy to think of other names to use and rather just use Sakura twice since it is a common surname in Tokyo? The REAL spoiler is they are not blood-related.

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. I think it's more realistic that
characters can have identical surnames and not be related.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
It will probably be useless but a campaign as been launch to ask Atlus USA/Deep Silver to offer the choice of Japanase/English Voices for the game.

Here is the link : https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petitio...ese_Voices_for_Persona_5_Even_as_DLC/?owAXVcb

For what it's worth, despite Hardin saying the game won't have japanese audio back at E3, it doesn't seem to be set in stone yet. I emailed their service desk recently asking about it and got a unique response saying it was still up in the air, and that my "concerns had been noted". If you want to voice your opinion on it, I'd advise doing the same. The voice acting in the japanese dub is absolutely stellar, and it pains me that so many people will be missing out on even the option to hear it.

hotsoup

Okay.

http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Landzaat_(VC1)

http://valkyria.wikia.com/wiki/Faldio_Landzaat_(VC1)

I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. I think it's more realistic that
characters can have identical surnames and not be related.

Well I can argue that the examples you shown are not really valid due to the English translation. If you look carefully their surnames in katakana (i.e. original) are slightly different.

But I see your point.
The chances of characters having the same surname but being unrelated are slim but not zero

Well I can argue that the examples you shown are not really valid due to the English translation. If you look carefully their surnames in katakana (i.e. original) are slightly different.

But I see your point.
The chances of characters having the same surname but being unrelated are slim but not zero

Ah shit, I only played Valkyria in English. I never noticed the katakana was different. Good eye.

MikeSan

For what it's worth, despite Hardin saying the game won't have japanese audio back at E3, it doesn't seem to be set in stone yet. I emailed their service desk recently asking about it and got a unique response saying it was still up in the air, and that my "concerns had been noted". If you want to voice your opinion on it, I'd advise doing the same. The voice acting in the japanese dub is absolutely stellar, and it pains me that so many people will be missing out on even the option to hear it.

Good to know, can you send me the mail address in my PM please ? Thanks.

MikeSan

Are you all going to bomb them questions about the dub? lol

Yes, they need to understand that they do not have the choice ! The game take place in Tokyo FFS, I understand players in USA loves to play with English dub but many would enjoy the game better with the original dub.

Setsu00

Yes, they need to understand that they do not have the choice ! The game take place in Tokyo FFS, I understand players in USA loves to play with English dub but many would enjoy the game better with the original dub.

There is one thing that I don't understand about this while dub vs. sub fight: Why don't you learn Japanese if you prefer the Japanese dub anyway?

Jintor

everyone should learn 6+ languages imho

---

man i really want to play tonight but I should prep for this job interview tomorrow...

Setsu00

I prefer to see media on their original language
Does that mean I have to learn 6+ languages?

As someone who has at least basic knowledge of six languages: I don't know, but maybe yes? I just don't see the benefit of surrounding myself with the supposedly more authentic source material when I don't get what's actually said. I guess it's just a preference thing.

everyone should learn 6+ languages imho

Even if you may have been sarcastic, I actually agree with that.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
There is one thing that I don't understand about this while dub vs. sub fight: Why don't you learn Japanese if you prefer the Japanese dub anyway?

Because when there are subtitles you don't need to speak the language to understand the intonations? As someone who speaks Japanese, I didn't magically start picking up on nuances I didn't catch when I was just watching anime with subs. The argument that you have to understand the language to understand the emotions being conveyed by the performance is just plain flawed.
I don't think people should be forced to learn a language to get the original voice direction, and personally I find it disrespectful to the original actors and directors when a translation of a game, film or TV series excludes the original performances. If people want the choice to use the dub, that's cool, I've got nothing against them, but when there is no option to get the original performances for those who want them, that's pretty poor.

RalchAC

I can't tell about English vs Japanese dubs, but recently I've seen some anime that was available in the Spanish version of Netflix, and there is something... I dunno, weird of forced about it. It doesn't feel natural at all.

I don't know if people feel the same with English dubs. Since it's not my mother lenguage I don't get the same impression unless it's something really, really jarring.

Jintor

As someone who has at least basic knowledge of six languages: I don't know, but maybe yes? I just don't see the benefit of surrounding myself with the supposedly more authentic source material when I don't get what's actually said. I guess it's just a preference thing.

Even if you may have been sarcastic, I actually agree with that.

my parents know 5+, I'm working on 3/4... need to up my canto/mando game

Finished the game last night with 122 hours on the clock. Such a fantastic journey it was. Thinking of hopping back in for a Max S Link run now that I'm more familiar with the mechanics...

Setsu00

Because when there are subtitles you don't need to speak the language to understand the intonations? As someone who speaks Japanese, I didn't magically start picking up on nuances I didn't catch when I was just watching anime with subs. The argument that you have to understand the language to understand the emotions being conveyed by the performance is just plain flawed.
I don't think people should be forced to learn a language to get the original voice direction, and personally I find it disrespectful to the original actors and directors when a translation of a game, film or TV series excludes the original performances. If people want the choice to use the dub, that's cool, I've got nothing against them, but when there is no option to get the original performances for those who want them, that's pretty poor.

Aren't there usually some localization changes anyway? I'm not sure how prevalent it is with Persona, but you'd end up in some situations where the subtitles and the original voice work won't match. The German subtitles for FFX for example are translated from the original script while the game uses the English voices which leads to the somewhat hilarious juxtaposition of a spoken "I love you" and a written "Thank you". They would have to include two separate sets of subtitles.

my parents know 5+, I'm working on 3/4... need to up my canto/mando game

I'm already struggling with kanji, there's no way I could ever learn a language that's nothing but kanji after kanji after kanji. I have utmost respect for everyone who manages to learn one of the Chinese dialects.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Last? dungeon question:
Is the deepest layer of mementos which is an actual dungeon the last dungeon in the game or is there another final dungeon after this?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't there usually some localization changes anyway? I'm not sure how prevalent it is with Persona, but you'd end up in some situations where the subtitles and the original voice work won't match. The German subtitles for FFX for example are translated from the original script while the game uses the English voices which leads to the somewhat hilarious juxtaposition of a spoken "I love you" and a written "Thank you". They would have to include two separate sets of subtitles.

Well Square have historically been very liberal with their translations, to a fault. That particular case in FFX just sounds like bad translation, since it's not even accurate. Atlus USA don't typically make changes like that, they tend to stay accurate (to a fault as well, with their strange habit of keeping honorifics despite offering the game in dub-only for some bizarre reason). So sure, if the translation is inaccurate, that'll make the voice acting sound weird. But that's not a good reason to exclude the original voice track, it's more of a reason to just do a better job at translation.

Brief edit: Obviously some edits do need to be made in localization, for things that just plain don't translate well, for example puns. But most players should be able to pick up on things like that with common sense.

I want the US Collector's edition so I'll be buying that as well. Therefore I'll get to compare the original to the localization.

I swear if Atlus turns the game into a memefest I'll snap the disc in half. Yousuke with his "epic fail" line in the localization of Persona 4 is about as much memery as I can handle.

Jintor

oh you better be prepared for futaba YASS MY QUEEN SLAY every time ann hits a weakness

* i am guessing at futaba's personality since I haven't met her yet

oh you better be prepared for futaba YASS MY QUEEN SLAY every time ann hits a weakness

* i am guessing at futaba's personality since I haven't met her yet

She is 100% the character I am most worried about for the localization. Thank god I'm experiencing her here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom