• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ryo_

Why is there so much voice acting in Mementos? And about such mundane and obscure things as well. I find it really strange because there are scenes important to the story where you'd think they would have voice acting but do not, and then you're in a partly optional side dungeon that contains voice acting to an almost excessive level compared to the rest of the game.

Was Mementos supposed to be the maim dungeon of the game at somepoint? I wouldnt think it with its repetitive music loop and all...

Maybe I'm crazy but while this game, I think has more voice acting than Persona 3 or 4 as a whole, it seems a bit more unbalanced.

daevious

oh you better be prepared for futaba YASS MY QUEEN SLAY every time Makoto hits a weakness

Fixed that for you.

It wouldn't even be the first time they've done that; P3 had Junpei using the term "phat loot" and had Aigis shouting "Hasta la Vista" when she scored a crit.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there so much voice acting in Mementos? And about such mundane and obscure things as well. I fins it really strange because there are scenes important to the story where you'd think they would have voice acting but do not, and then you're in a partly optional side dungeon that contains voice acting to an almost excessive level compared to the rest of the game.

Was Mementos supposed to be the maim dungeon of the game at somepoint? I wouldnt think it with its repetitive music loop and all...

Maybe I'm crazy but while this game, I think has more voice acting than Persona 3 or 4 as a whole, it seems a bit more unbalanced.

It's probably because they felt Mementos was a lot less interesting visually and design-wise than the story dungeons, and gave it a lot of fun side dialogue while you dungeon crawl so you don't get bored. The story dungeons have so much more going on that they don't need that sort of thing to keep you entertained.

Edit: Yeah, it sure would be nice to have some more voice acting overall, it's not like space is a problem anymore. Fortunately it's not very detrimental to the story, since I've only really encountered one or two scenes that were actually jarring to me in a "wait, why isn't this scene voice acted" sense though. Where it is a problem is in the co-ops, since only the first and last scenes are voiced, and some of them are really well written.

Yeah, my biggest complaint, if I were to have any complaints at all, is that I wish more scenes were voiced.

I don't even mind the bad textures people are pointing out; they don't bother me that much. I'd rather just have more voiced scenes. The cast is so goddamn good. I don't think there's been a game that has gathered this many of my favorite seiyuu all at once before. And Toyosaki Aki has TWO ROLES even! <3

Pachael

I'm already struggling with kanji, there's no way I could ever learn a language that's nothing but kanji after kanji after kanji. I have utmost respect for everyone who manages to learn one of the Chinese dialects.

Coming from a Chinese background, I've got the opposite issue (kanji reading is fantastic, everything else takes more effort). I'm finding it better to stick to 2 languages myself with the others at a hobbyist level...

Back to the game, only a few hours into it, but I can see where the time from the delays went - to be this good takes ages ;)

Hopefully it holds out for the next 80h or so.

In another note, I'm glad that Remote Play works on PC with little drops and ability to (manually) save screenshots.

Edit: Also, all that smattering of English, whether through the billboards, signs or katakana / voice acting certainly helps get over the hump... with the body language in the cutscenes they do deliver a mostly understandable story... so far.

daevious

Why is there so much voice acting in Mementos? And about such mundane and obscure things as well. I find it really strange because there are scenes important to the story where you'd think they would have voice acting but do not, and then you're in a partly optional side dungeon that contains voice acting to an almost excessive level compared to the rest of the game.

I've got this weird feeling that those scenes might have been made after a re-write and they couldn't get the voice actors back in to do those lines.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
In another note, I'm glad that Remote Play works on PC with little drops and ability to (manually) save screenshots.

Yeah, it's a crime that they disable the share button on a game this beautiful.
I literally reloaded my last save just so I could get a screenshot of this awesome shot via remote play. It's a shame the compression is shit but it was still worth it.

Dungeon 4 spoilers:

Remote play is a godsend. I don't have a capture card, but using remote play I was able to use Shadowplay to stream for some friends who wanted to watch for awhile.

Last? dungeon question:
Is the deepest layer of mementos which is an actual dungeon the last dungeon in the game or is there another final dungeon after this?

After you reach the bottom of Mementos there'll be another series of cutscenes and there's one final mini-dungeon you'll have to deal with. It's pretty linear but there's mid-bosses to deal with.

The thing that annoys me most is that this dialog in Mementos is so easy to interrupt. I actually did want to hear the entire line but bashing open a door cuts it short.

ckohler

Remote play is a godsend. I don't have a capture card, but using remote play I was able to use Shadowplay to stream for some friends who wanted to watch for awhile.

So Remote Play works? That's good to know. It's rare but some developers block games from allowing Remote Play. I'm glad to hear Atlus didn't do that here. I'm totally planning on using Remote Play to get in some P5 when I'm away from home when it comes out in Feb.

muteki

So Remote Play works? That's good to know. It's rare but some developers block games from allowing Remote Play. I'm glad to hear Atlus didn't do that here. I'm totally planning on using Remote Play to get in some P5 when I'm away from home when it comes out in Feb.
It's actually the first game that has been viable for me to remote play in a while. It being a turn based rpg helps, but nothing too critical is mapped to touchscreens and the text is still readable for me.

PK Gaming

I want the US Collector's edition so I'll be buying that as well. Therefore I'll get to compare the original to the localization.

I swear if Atlus turns the game into a memefest I'll snap the disc in half. Yousuke with his "epic fail" line in the localization of Persona 4 is about as much memery as I can handle.

Atlus USA's localization process is top class, so there's no reason to worry about that. Even Yosuke's "epic fail" line makes complete sense in context.

Atlus USA's localization process is top class, so there's no reason to worry about that. Even Yosuke's "epic fail" line makes complete sense in context.

Whether or not a meme is "in context" doesn't matter when they could've just translated the line without including a meme and not lost anything in the process. Memes date a work unnecessarily and their inclusion just comes off as pandering. "EPIC FAIL [WINK WINK GUYS, WE UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET, LOL]"

Memes aside, I agree that Atlus has fantastic localizations.

066.jpg

Atlus USA can't be worse than this.

hughesta

Banned
Atlus' localization has been excellent and I d9nt think the occasional meme hampers the experience in any way.

Like yeah, if Anne brings up Harambe we'd all groan our collective lungs out but I don't think that's gonna happen

Lynx_7

Atlus' localization has been excellent and I d9nt think the occasional meme hampers the experience in any way.

Like yeah, if Anne brings up Harambe we'd all groan our collective lungs out but I don't think that's gonna happen
"Maras out for Harambe" - Morgana, 2017

PK Gaming

Whether or not a meme is "in context" doesn't matter when they could've just translated the line without including a meme and not lost anything in the process. Memes date a work unnecessarily and their inclusion just comes off as pandering. "EPIC FAIL [WINK WINK GUYS, WE UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET, LOL]"

Memes aside, I agree that Atlus has fantastic localizations.

You're blowing things out of proportion.

Here's the full line:
(After Teddie completely humiliates him and the other boys at the summer festival)

Yosuke: &#8230;We fail, huh?
Yosuke: An epic fail&#8230;

Which works because of the utter disgust and disappointment he feels over what happened. The delivery is important too, since it makes it sound natural and keeps the scene flow intact. Of course saying "epic fail" out loud is incredibly cringe, even if it's completely self deprecating in manner. But it came from Yosuke, who is literally cringey awkward teen incarnate. In the end, it's not at all comparable to blatant memes that are cropping up in video games nowadays. And I don't think the line will date either.

You're blowing things out of proportion.

Here's the full line:
Which works because of the utter disgust and disappointment he feels over what happened. The delivery is important too, since it makes it sound natural and keeps the scene flow intact. Of course saying "epic fail" out loud is incredibly cringe, even if it's completely self deprecating in manner. But it came from Yosuke, who is literally cringey awkward teen incarnate. In the end, it's not at all comparable to blatant memes that are cropping up in video games nowadays. And I don't think the line will date either.

Yo, I didn't say it was the worst or most blatant use of a meme in a game ever, but we're just gonna have to agree to disagree that it "fit". Also, despite me normally liking Yuri Lowenthal, the delivery of the line didn't save it for me at all.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
If we're talking about localizations and memes, from what I've seen of SMTIV Apocalypse's localization, it's pretty bad. Granted the original game's writing wasn't great, but I certainly don't recall Nozomi being a gangster or a "homeslice". And this is a far more recent Atlus USA project than P4.

PK Gaming

If we're talking about localizations and memes, from what I've seen of SMTIV Apocalypse's localization, it's pretty bad. Granted the original game's writing wasn't great, but I certainly don't recall Nozomi being a gangster or a "homeslice". And this is a far more recent Atlus USA project than P4.

Taking scenes out of context will give you that impression.

Nozomi's a lot better in practice. Her voice on the other hand...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Weapon question:
Anyone one figure out what you do with &#40658;&#12356;&#23567;&#20992;? <- Protagonist weapon
The text reads like we're supposed to somehow upgrade it into something useful.
&#20182;&#12398;&#24418;&#12395;&#22793;&#36074;&#12377;&#12427;&#21487;&#33021;&#24615;&#12434;&#31192;&#12417;&#12383;&#23567;&#20992;.
Or in general anyone figure out something about best equipment since reapers seems to only give massive exp this time.

And if anyone know where to farm &#27700;&#37504; for the eternal lockpick would be cools as well I only have 7 of them being in the last dungeon and also always progressing mementos as far as possible.

Shouta

Weapon question:
Anyone one figure out what you do with &#40658;&#12356;&#23567;&#20992;? <- Protagonist weapon
The text reads like we're supposed to somehow upgrade it into something useful.
&#20182;&#12398;&#24418;&#12395;&#22793;&#36074;&#12377;&#12427;&#21487;&#33021;&#24615;&#12434;&#31192;&#12417;&#12383;&#23567;&#20992;.
Or in general anyone figure out something about best equipment since reapers seems to only give massive exp this time.

And if anyone know where to farm &#27700;&#37504; for the eternal lockpick would be cools as well I only have 7 of them being in the last dungeon and also always progressing mementos as far as possible.

For that weapon you,
can sacrifice persona to create weapons, that's used as the base

B00TE

Beat the first dungeon last night. So awesome!
Glad I read ahead a bit, got stuck on the books for a bit. Also made my runs longer so I could reach the part where you have to back out to announce intent to steal.

Lunar15

Is this one of those things where someone sees one line they don't like and the whole thing is bad? Because this happens a lot on GAF.

Lynx_7

Is this one of those things where someone sees one line they don't like and the whole thing is bad? Because this happens a lot on GAF.
I'm playing the game and have had no problems with the localization so far, so yeah, that. Demon negotiation is also as amusing as ever.

I don't get what's the problem with Nozomi's voice that PKGaming was alluding to, though. I've met her once and she sounded fine to me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished the game! Took me over 105 hours, but it was an amazing experience. Will write longer impressions tomorrow, since it's really late.

PK Gaming

I'm playing the game and have had no problems with the localization so far, so yeah, that. Demon negotiation is also as amusing as ever.

I don't get what's the problem with Nozomi's voice that PKGaming was alluding to, though. I've met her once and she sounded fine to me.

They replaced her original VA so there's a bit of readjusting to be done. If i'm being completely honest, I actually dig Karen Strassmen's take on it. It definitely makes you think of the character in a completelydifferent light though. Like, I can't help but think of Nozomi as this middle aged woman trying to appeal to the hip young ins with her off beat slang. It's just weirdly hilarious in practice. Her dialogue is absolutely charming though.

wmlk

Better than P3 and P4's endgame runs.

In retrospect, P4's ending involved some convoluted dialogue choices and the involvement of an NPC that you talk to in the first 10 minutes of the game who turns out to be a deity. P4's endgame run can be easily topped, tbh.

P3's endboss was legendary, though. Hopefully there's something of that caliber.

Dantis

In retrospect, P4's ending involved some convoluted dialogue choices and the involvement of an NPC that you talk to in the first 10 minutes of the game who turns out to be a deity. P4's endgame run can be easily topped, tbh.

P3's endboss was legendary, though. Hopefully there's something of that caliber.
The endgame might be great, but I think P3's final boss is virtually unbeatable.

convo

All the localisation talk reminded me how the anime fandom really wants seperate subs for the english dub and subs for the original japanese. That would be impossible for the amount of lines in a game. Would people who want the japanese dub be fine not getting the japanese exclusive puns and just the subs for the dub? I think the need for authenticity only goes as far as hearing the original but not the details that require footnotes. All these inconsistent desires aside people should be able to get the original voices if they desire, but it does require convincing the right people.

convo

The endgame might be great, but I think P3's final boss is virtually unbeatable.

It sure did fit the themes they went for in the game.P3 spoilers though
getting put on crosses
is super cheesy and i will make fun of it no matter what.

hemo memo

Gold Member
All the localisation talk reminded me how the anime fandom really wants seperate subs for the english dub and subs for the original japanese. That would be impossible for the amount of lines in a game. Would people who want the japanese dub be fine not getting the japanese exclusive puns and just the subs for the dub? I think the need for authenticity only goes as far as hearing the original but not the details that require footnotes. All these inconsistent desires aside people should be able to get the original voices if they desire, but it does require convincing the right people.

Glad I don't really care that much. Average is okay for me just let me play the game already.

Lynx_7

They replaced her original VA so there's a bit of readjusting to be done. If i'm being completely honest, I actually dig Karen Strassmen's take on it. It definitely makes you think of the character in a completelydifferent light though. Like, I can't help but think of Nozomi as this middle aged woman trying to appeal to the hip young ins with her off beat slang. It's just weirdly hilarious in practice. Her dialogue is absolutely charming though.

Ah, that makes sense. To be honest I can't even remember properly how she sounded like on IV so I had no problems adjusting to the new voice. She does sound older now that I think about it.

I'll admit I'm not too picky when it comes to localizations. I don't even mind a few memes/references as long as they're well integrated within the dialogue or somewhat subtle about it. I got a kick out of the "I'm an expert" reference in P4, so sometimes they can add some charm to a scene. It works better in modern settings though and feels out of place in something like, say, Fire Emblem. There are also some kinds of memes that will always feel cringey regardless of context so it's better to avoid those.
It's stilted/clunky/overly literal translations that I usually have a bigger problem with. I was playing Xenogears earlier this year and I couldn't help but notice how dry the translation was. I'm playing Cyber Sleuth right now and a lot of the lines read like they came straight out of an anime fansub or a fan translation. It's still generally understandable but it takes me out of it sometimes since it's so noticeable.
And then you have things like Breath of Fire 2. We don't talk about those.

Dantis

Dungeon 7 question:
where do I get the pass to get past the first area?
Uh, guess I sorted it? Not sure how though.
EDIT: Guess not. Still need help. :(
EDIT 2: Actually sorted it now.

_Ryo_

This is a bit random but I tthink I disagree that the MC in this game isnt more vocal in this game than in P3 and P4, he has quite a bit of one liners when exploring the dungeons, and much more vocals when actually battling as he'll sometimes comment on the enemy or whatever, and he says a line during the initial attack, plus he says the persona names when callling them which was in p3 and p4, and I think I've heard him speak during his AoA animation once?

Then he says a couple things like "Yoshi! "outside the dungeons... and elsewhere. So yeah I ddefinitely think it's more than the previous games, they all just happen to be quick one liners.

PK Gaming

This is a bit random but I tthink I disagree that the MC in this game isnt more vocal in this game than in P3 and P4, he has quite a bit of one liners when exploring the dungeons, and much more vocals when actually battling as he'll sometimes comment on the enemy or whatever, and he says a line during the initial attack, plus he says the persona names when callling them which was in p3 and p4, and I think I've heard him speak during his AoA animation once?

Then he says a couple things like "Yoshi! "outside the dungeons... and elsewhere. So yeah I ddefinitely think it's more than the previous games, they all just happen to be quick one liners.

Nobody suggested he wasn't!

ckohler

For those who've beaten it:

1) When I played P4, I only used the main four (Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) in battles, leveling them up. I'm thinking of maybe switching out characters more in P5. Do you think this is a safe thing to do or would it make the game harder?

2) Did the ending make you sad it was over like the end of P4 did for a lot of people?

muteki

Doesn't he have a voiced line when you bring up the save menu? I don't remember P4 MC having any voiced lines but it has been a while.

_Ryo_

Nobody suggested he wasn't!

Not recently but I'm pretty sure earlier in this very thread someone asked if the MC talked more in this game and someone above me answered "about the same amount"

And then I went on to say he was more vocal in that he has thought bubbles now. Lol

Anyway I've seen similar replies regarding MC speaking other parts of the web but it's not really a big deal, and I did say I was being random. :p

1) When I played P4, I only used the main four (Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) in battles, leveling them up. I'm thinking of maybe switching out characters more in P5. Do you think this is a safe thing to do or would it make the game harder?

2) Did the ending make you sad it was over like the end of P4 did for a lot of people?

The psychic and nuclear elements being back in mean you'll probably want to vary it up more often, plus it's much easier to switch party members as you can do it at any time and eventually during battle as well (on the MC's turn).

Personally feel like the ending has a little more hope to it than P4

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Wiki says &#12460;&#12493;&#12540;&#12471;&#12515; drop 'em.
For that weapon you,
can sacrifice persona to create weapons, that's used as the base

Thanks!!

Actually makes the game easier cause you want to always have the people that can hit weaknesses also like it was already mentioned it's way easier to switch party on the fly and if you rank up the moon slink a bit leveling evenly becomes a nonissue.

Guys, I'm on 5/23 and just beaten the second dungeon.

Does anyone knows where I can find Takamaki?

On the days she is available she is either in the classroom or the underground mall.
If you are on the location map and press square over locations with the arcana card you can check who is available in those general areas and it also shows if they're ready to rank up.
--------------------
Also to those curios about all max Slinks runs going in blind, it's totally possible. I'm on 12/4 and I'm only missing 5 ranks in empress and 2 ranks in tower and still have time until the 12/18. There's a good chance on me getting it if not I'm going to miss it closely because of character dependent availability.
In any case I had quite a few bad decisions in this run based on not knowing certain things so all in all I think the full Slink max run in P5 from a fresh save with no stats is definitely way more forgiving than in P4/P4G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom