• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Co-Ops makes it sound like they took the best ideas from TMS and applied it to Persona 5's social link system. In TMS you were able to unlock the ability for team members to swap in and out during battle, gain exp at an accelerated rate even when out of the party, etc. It was really fun to unlock those over time and it made me want to use the whole cast.

50 hours in, 4th dungeon done. I recall reading some complaints about this one, but luckily I didn't encounter any trouble (except for Anubis and his mudoon, still hate ohko-moves.)
Also, am I just forgetting something or did they not show anything past this dungeon in the promotional material? I believe I have seen all the stuff that appeared in the trailers and screens.

For those who've beaten it:

1) When I played P4, I only used the main four (Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) in battles, leveling them up. I'm thinking of maybe switching out characters more in P5. Do you think this is a safe thing to do or would it make the game harder?

2) Did the ending make you sad it was over like the end of P4 did for a lot of people?

1. You don't really have to worry about levelling in this game, because out of party members will gain a portion of the experience. You definitely will want to switch out your party members in new areas and boss battles though. Your 3 party members can cover 3 elements, having to cover the remaining 5 elements with your limited persona slots is rough.

2. I didn't really feel sad, but that's more because I took a look at the trophy list and it feels like there's still more gameplay I could get out of it. That said though, I at one and the same time think that the game dragged on a little near the end, yet I also wish there was more happening after the last boss. It's complicated.

Shouta

In retrospect, P4's ending involved some convoluted dialogue choices and the involvement of an NPC that you talk to in the first 10 minutes of the game who turns out to be a deity. P4's endgame run can be easily topped, tbh.

P3's endboss was legendary, though. Hopefully there's something of that caliber.

Yeah, P4's endgame run isn't particularly good at all. I haven't played Golden so I don't know how it's changed but it was pretty underwhelming when I played Vanilla. P3's endboss is great but it also had to make up for the fact journey to it was a tad weak.

P5 is definitely my favorite endgame run of the 3 games. It just works amazingly well from a story perspective and gives you the real feeling of moving towards something. It definitely reminds more of some of the endgame runs you'd see in a regular SMT game more than anything. It's just a very, very strong overall, I think.

robotrock

Banned
Yeah, P4's endgame run isn't particularly good at all. I haven't played Golden so I don't know how it's changed but it was pretty underwhelming when I played Vanilla. P3's endboss is great but it also had to make up for the fact journey to it was a tad weak.

P5 is definitely my favorite endgame run of the 3 games. It just works amazingly well from a story perspective and gives you the real feeling of moving towards something. It definitely reminds more of some of the endgame runs you'd see in a regular SMT game more than anything.

What do you mean by endgame run? The final stretch of gameplay as it leads to the ending?

Yeah, P4's endgame run isn't particularly good at all. I haven't played Golden so I don't know how it's changed but it was pretty underwhelming when I played Vanilla.

P4G's new extra dungeon helps to make the true ending revelations less abrupt. And P4G gives you some more S-Link time near the end and gameplay rewards (new persona). Plus, the new epilogue that you get if you get the true ending & finish the extra dungeon is a lot of fun (albeit pretty short). On the other hand, although P4G is one of my favorite games ever, I gotta admit I feel like it starts to drag towards the end of the game and adding another dungeon (a gimmick one at that) doesn't exactly help things.

Are there any other good spoiler free import reviews for the game? I've read the one that was linked a few pages back and the ones that have been posted here so far.

_Ryo_

I have a question would DLC "routes" that offer additional endings be wanted or looked down upon? I think a lot would feel that those endings should have been in the original game from the start, on the other hand I also think that it would be pretty cool as long as Altus confirms that none of the additional endings are cannon.*

Or maybe they can add more if they're free and added in a patch?

As far as spin off games go, from what ive seen of it, I kind of feel with a little bit of work Mementos could have been a separate game all on it's own.

Shouta

What do you mean by endgame run? The final stretch of gameplay as it leads to the ending?

Yeah, more or less. All the stuff that leads to the ending basically. It'd usually be the final dungeon and the last boss fight but it can extend to different things depending on how you want to look at it. For me, it's when all of the big elements of the story start moving towards the resolution. So it often extends to big story points before the final dungeon in my eyes.

P4G's new extra dungeon helps to make the true ending revelations less abrupt. And P4G gives you some more S-Link time near the end and gameplay rewards (new persona). Plus, the new epilogue that you get if you get the true ending & finish the extra dungeon is a lot of fun (albeit pretty short). On the other hand, although P4G is one of my favorite games ever, I gotta admit I feel like it starts to drag towards the end of the game and adding another dungeon (a gimmick one at that) doesn't exactly help things.

Ah, I see. I'll get around to Golden sometime, I have it but I haven't really ever been in the mood to play it and with NG+ in P5 available, it won't be any time soon, I think. lol

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Ok goddammit I just have to ask this so I'm sitting at 12/7 with all but the Empress link(rank 6) maxed but the person isn't showing up anymore. Is there another chance to do stuff after I finished the dungeon? Or is that it.

P4G absolutely drags the most at the beginning. The ending run is relatively exciting compared to the opening where nothing much makes sense and you aren't fighting at all.

It was my first Persona game though so maybe air just didn't know what to expect.

Shouta

Ok goddammit I just have to ask this so I'm sitting at 12/7 with all but the Empress link(rank 6) maxed but the person isn't showing up anymore. Is there another chance to do stuff after I finished the dungeon? Or is that it.

Try doing a mission briefing. They might show up after that.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
You must have done a lot of optimizing by reloading to get all of the Co-Ops done on your first run. I didn't get anywhere near that. I didn't reload though.

Yeah definitely did that quite a bit. Fast forward button made it rather painless.
That said there were also lots of times where I got carried by good guesses on answers and once you get the Fate SLink to 7 you can make a lot more mistakes/just go with what you like. I think the worst part is really the farming at the very start.
You kind of need lot of money especially to kickstart going to the famires early and frequently.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Here are the promised impressions after clearing the game yesterday.

Time to clear: About 105-110 hours on Normal.

Let me preface this by saying that I found both Persona 3 and Persona 4 (and 4G) very tedious, both in and out of dungeons and were never able to put more than 10-20 hours into them.

Thanks to its style, Persona 5 looks really great, low quality textures aside. I honestly don't understand this decision, since they really stick out when everything else looks good. Style aside, it's not a technical masterpiece, but some signs here and there aside, I really liked the look of the whole package.

As for the music, I enjoyed most of the BGMs and would even leave the game running while doing other stuff.

Gameplay-wise, I feel that P5 is a huge step up from P3 and P4 in almost every way.
A ton of changes like being able to see if there are any Social Link (here Cooperations) people in any of the locations, Coops giving you access to a ton of useful passive and active skills, non-randomized story dungeons and other things like that made the game a much better experience.

The social stuff felt much more streamlined, with people texting you when they are free etc. and not being tied to strict schedules as much as in P4, which made the social part much less tedious. If I were to complain about something, it would be high stat requirements for certain socializations and the fact that some of the coop storylines felt a bit one note. Mind you, they were still good, moving stories there, but I think I expected more surprises in them.

Speaking of stories, I really enjoyed the P5 main storyline and didn't find the predictable parts back at all. On the contrary, I was glad that I wasn't in the dark, going from one target to the next for most of the game. The whole thing started and continued to go in a much darker direction than what I was expecting. And while the P4 story sometimes felt more like Twin Peaks, Persona 5 is trying to tackle very real issues present in modern day Japan. I really liked the last stretch of the game and found the story resolution very satisfying.

Regarding the characters, in the end I liked most of them and no one got on my nerves enough to never want them in the party. A part of the cast was a bit to quirky for me, but they all became quite likable at one point or another.

Dungeon wise, I loved what they did with not only making dungeons non random, but also adding puzzles etc. to most of them. While all felt on the easy side, it was a nice change of pace from fighting the same few types of enemies in each dungeon for hours. As for the length, as soon as I got my hands on SP recovering accessories I started doing them all in one in game day whenever possible and aside from a few instances, didn't really feel like they dragged on for too long. 2-4 hours per dungeon, if there's only a few of them in the game isn't so bad in my opinion.

As for the combat, the Baton Touch system allowing you to switch to another party member after getting a One More was great (for saving SP). It really changed the dynamics of battles, making them snappier. That said, I had one problem with it - you had to raise up the coop with each character to a certain level (sometimes unlocking it would be enough) to be able to use Baton Touch with them. If I'm not mistaken, for most new party members this could be only done after finishing the dungeon where they joined you. That made them pretty much useless in my eyes (BT also increases your damage) for that dungeon, which was a bit of a bummer.

One thing regarding the combat I wish they addressed, is having only one animation for each character after the all out attack finisher. Those, while looking great, got old very early on and didn't change for the whole game. Oh, and OHKO skills are still as annoying as they always were in SMT games. At least high level Personas could nullify most of them.

Another feature I loved was the return of demon conversations, one of my favorite parts of SMT games. Here the conversations felt much less random, because each enemy had a specific personality, based on which you knew what type of answers they expect (in theory).

All in all, while the game still had flaws, like some parts dragging for a bit too long etc., during my whole week+ of marathoning it, I never once felt tired of it enough to put it down. All I wanted to do was to keep playing, because each dungeon felt very fresh, and the story was very satisfying from the beginning to the end. Even grinding in the random dungeon didn't feel bad, because the battles felt much faster than in previous games.

I approached P5 very cautiously, because of my experience with P3 and P4, but now after finishing it I can say that I'm glad that I gave it a chance. I think it's one of my favorite games ever and I can't even imagine how good an improved Persona 6 would be.

Great write up. I'm nowhere near done yet, but your thoughts line up with mine exactly. Well, almost exactly; I don't mind not being able to baton touch with new characters as much as you do, and I'm not tired of the all-out attack screens for each character yet, but I get your point in both cases.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Great write up. I'm nowhere near done yet, but your thoughts line up with mine exactly. Well, almost exactly; I don't mind not being able to baton touch with new characters as much as you do, and I'm not tired of the all-out attack screens for each character yet, but I get your point in both cases.
What I meant with Baton Touch was mostly the following situation:
I start a fight, enemies are weak to what the MC and new character have, but if I have a choice of ending it in 1 turn while using a bit more SP or waiting for the new character's turn (since the enemies might attack in between), I will always do the former, to not risk it.

muteki

Still in April but the regular day to day stuff has opened up and I'm still not liking how it shortcuts you to school and back. Not having the freedom to say, stop by the store in the morning or after a coop in the afternoon on the way home is annoying. Having to run all the way out to shibuya to shop, then come all the way back to school for coops is silly. Maybe this will get better if when I have more freedom in the evening.

Still in April but the regular day to day stuff has opened up and I'm still not liking how it shortcuts you to school and back. Not having the freedom to say, stop by the store in the morning or after a coop in the afternoon on the way home is annoying. Having to run all the way out to shibuya to shop, then come all the way back to school for coops is silly. Maybe this will get better if when I have more freedom in the evening.

I get what you're saying, but let me ask. You're not literally "running" to Shibuya from school and back, right?

why not teleport with r1

Basically this, is my question, yeah :p.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Uff just maxed Empress on the very last day 12/17 had to reload a save from an ingame week before and rushed the story stuff.(<- thank god P4G all max runs taught me well, gotta have a really solid save system for this stuff. I go with 5 rotating main saves 1 for the start of a story block, 2 for weeks, 2 for day to day stuff + some extra once at times where I just super unsure.)

And yeah Shouta was right seems like for the main party events can be blocked by the main story. So it seems it's always best to get that out of the way first every month.

Shouta

Uff just maxed Empress on the very last day 12/17 had to reload a save from an ingame week before and rushed the story stuff.(<- thank god P4G all max runs taught me well, gotta have a really solid save system for this stuff. I go with 5 rotating main saves 1 for the start of a story block, 2 for weeks, 2 for day to day stuff + some extra once at times where I just super unsure.)

And yeah Shouta was right seems like for the main party events can be blocked by the main story. So it seems it's always best to get that out of the way first every month.

It's only a problem for that month. You just need to do a team meeting for them to show up again.

aitakute

About the possibility of P5 "golden"
I heard there is a big time skip of a few months near the end of the game. Do you think they will make a "golden" version to fill that gap like they did with P4?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm surprised people are already finishing the game. Not sure where you guys find so much time to play the game.

I'm about 60 hours in, currently in the 4th dungeon, and loving it. I wasn't a big fan of P4, and P5 really does blow it out of the water.

But holy shit this game is long. It's insane how much time is required to finish this game.

bluethree

I'm surprised people are already finishing the game. Not sure where you guys find so much time to play the game.

I'm about 60 hours in, currently in the 4th dungeon, and loving it. I wasn't a big fan of P4, and P5 really does blow it out of the water.

But holy shit this game is long. It's insane how much time is required to finish this game.

I'm 40 hours in and on the 3rd dungeon now...it's really long but it doesn't "feel" long at all imo

daevious

I heard there is a big time skip of a few months near the end of the game. Do you think they will make a "golden" version to fill that gap like they did with P4?

Given the reasons for that skip, it'd be really contrived if they tried to add anything to that period. Besides, it's already clear why the game skips that period, there isn't really anything to fill in.

I've gotta say, the Technical attack system makes me actually give a shit about status inducing skills. In most RPGs, I never bother inflicting statuses, but here it's like "Okay, well, if an enemy isn't weak to anything and resists physical and guns, I'll just inflict a mental status and then cast a psychic element skill". It's super interesting and the interactions between statuses and their technical follow-ups are really cool.

Freeze an enemy? Physical attack and shatter it.
Burn an enemy? Follow up with wind and feed the fire.
Etc, etc.

Edit: I should note I don't mean skills that directly raise/lower stats like the taru-, raku-, suku-, etc series when I say I never usually use status skills. I mean shit that induces fear/despair/etc.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've gotta say, the Technical attack system makes me actually give a shit about status inducing skills. In most RPGs, I never bother inflicting statuses, but here it's like "Okay, well, if an enemy isn't weak to anything and resists physical and guns, I'll just inflict a mental status and then cast a psychic element skill". It's super interesting and the interactions between statuses and their technical follow-ups are really cool.

Freeze an enemy? Physical attack and shatter it.
Burn an enemy? Follow up with wind and feed the fire.
Etc, etc.

Edit: I should note I don't mean skills that directly raise/lower stats like the taru-, raku-, suku-, etc series when I say I never usually use status skills. I mean shit that induces fear/despair/etc.
It might be because I played on Normal, but I still thought that status effect skills like you mentioned are a waste of slots. Instead I was sure that MC has one Persona with Miracle Punch on him and that Morgana, who was the only character I had in my team at all times has that skill as well. Critical rate was high enough to get me through most fights with enemies with no weaknesses.

Olengie

Time for a spin off like Persona Q

It might be because I played on Normal, but I still thought that status effect skills like you mentioned are a waste of slots. Instead I was sure that MC has one Persona with Miracle Punch on him and that Morgana, who was the only character I had in my team at all times has that skill as well. Critical rate was high enough to get me through most fights with enemies with no weaknesses.

There are skills that do massive damage and still inflict mental conditions. For example, Ryuuji's Bad Beat hits every enemy for medium physical damage and inflicts despair (at a fairly high rate, from what I saw when I was still using it). But yeah, the high crit rate attacks are nice too.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There are skills that do massive damage and still inflict mental conditions. For example, Ryuuji's Bad Beat hits every enemy for medium physical damage and inflicts despair (at a fairly high rate, from what I saw when I was still using it). But yeah, the high crit rate attacks are nice too.
Oh yeah, the damage of technical attacks is neat, but my aim was to get a hold up in every fight for capturing/money/quick finisher purposes.

I've finally come to the point where I got my answers for the beginning sequence of the game.
I had so many questions, I'm glad I know a lot of them now. That was a really good session I had yesterday. I was too tired from work to play a lot, but it was meaningful.

I'm coming to get you now, "real culprit" !

SolidSmiech

Neo Member
Really glad to see the near unanimous praise for the game!

The only thing left that I want to know is quite specific: how's the final boss battle track in P5? The sheer hype of the P3 final boss theme and the utter magnitude of P4's rank among my favorites, and I'm really curious to know if P5 can deliver on those high standards.

I don't want to know any details whatsoever about the theme itself; I simply want to know how it compares, and perhaps set my expectations to not be too high, either haha. I know this is a really subjective sort of question, and not everyone pays too much attention to music in games, but I'd appreciate it if someone could at least give a non-spoilery comment on it.

Anyone knows how to make Shiisaa? I have all the Hierophant personas until level 35 or so, but not this one. Did they change his arcana?
EDIT: Found him, it's now of the Chariot arcana.

muteki

I get what you're saying, but let me ask. You're not literally "running" to Shibuya from school and back, right?

Basically this, is my question, yeah :p.
My issue isn't really how they are representing the travel itself (it shows the usual loading screens I believe), but rather that by forcing you to go straight home after an activity, they create a situation that is really unrealistic. Nobody would leave school and hop on a train to run an errand, only to come back to school that afternoon. It just feels like restrictions for restriction's sake, and I think the world would be a lot more convincing if it wasn't there.

P4 was the exactly the same and it just meant I had to remember to run around before passing time for that day, and this area was really high on my list of improvements I wanted from P5 and it is just a minor bummer to me that nothing was changed in this area.
why not teleport with r1
R1 being there only makes it more confusing to me. Because, if you are concerned with making the commute too time consuming or repetitive, R1 is there for you. But if you want to take in the sights or go at a slower pace, you can't because the game either skips those areas or makes accessing them unnatural. I can see there is a lot of effort here making areas like Yogenjaya and Shibuya representative of their real-life or pseudo-real life counterparts, for the game in normal play to spend little time there day-to-day seems counter intuitive.

After the Holy Stone for the Fortune Coop, another &#65297;&#65296;&#19975; gone to level the Strength Coop from 1 to 7. Minor spoilers for said Coop unlock
Could someone explain to me how the "prison" works? Does the persona I leave there get experience, like the Day Care in Pokemon?
I was also wondering, around what time (approximately) do the Tower and Temperance Coops become available?

Jintor

They better find a better english term than Co-op because I just keep reading coop. Like a chicken coop.

Someone had a suggestion earlier of Connection, I liked that.

_Ryo_

They better find a better english term than Co-op because I just keep reading coop. Like a chicken coop.

Someone had a suggestion earlier of Connection, I liked that.

I think they'll go with something like "Accomplice" AL, Accom Links.

Or they'll stick to Social Link.

aitakute

Slightly spoiler about Chihaya
Listening to her talk about death and fate, unavoidable fate of death made me sad knowing what happened to her voice actress earlier this year. If only fate could be changed, huh... Remember her last words before she passed away, the feel is too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom