• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |Import OT| You Are Slave. Want Emancipation? Coming Winter 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
IThis part was so good. So good. I didn't expect it at all and thought they just wanted to try a different Igor. And then it all clicked after the reveal.

As for the general narrative of the game, including the last stretch, aside from it being a very entertaining story, I actually thought it was a decent social commentary (weird stuff aside, of course). A bit heavy handed sometimes, but good nonetheless.
Yeah that's true but I think the heavy handedness is just something that comes along with taking an issue/theme and coat it in a setting of god symbolism. It's very easy to get into eye rolling territory there.
That said for me it had really good moments. They just did such a good job with the main theme of being shackled by something throughout the whole game and then society being the penultimate shackle, I could really relate to that, the way they make you feel powerless against the "stupidity" of the masses.
And in the end fight when they overcome those ultimate odds it feels really good, especially when most of your Coops come and rally the masses for you.

Oh well I earned the 250 Navi Sentences trophy in the last dungeon.
A heavy load off my chest, that's for sure.

Now I can focus on beating the game then do a second playthrough focusing on all Coop Rank 10, finish the last 10% of the personas I have left to collect, and one other achievement.
Should be smooth sailing from now on.

I got stuck on the sixth dungeon
In the slot room, I'm looking for a red and a green monitor. I think I found the green one and I'm missing the red one, but I have already interacted with the two I managed to find. What am I missing?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I got stuck on the sixth dungeon
In the slot room, I'm looking for a red and a green monitor. I think I found the green one and I'm missing the red one, but I have already interacted with the two I managed to find. What am I missing?

If I remember correctly the red monitor is close to the entrance.

Oh got a question for people who have started an NG+ already.

I know you keep your equipment in NG+, but does that include equipment...not equipped?
I need to decide now if I sell everything for more money, or keep it in the inventory.

How worried do I need to be about missing the true ending if there is one at all? I only got the good ending in Persona 4 and didn't realize there was more for a while.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Oh got a question for people who have started an NG+ already.

I know you keep your equipment in NG+, but does that include equipment...not equipped?
I need to decide now if I sell everything for more money, or keep it in the inventory.

You keep everything guns, weapons, armor, accessories.
How worried do I need to be about missing the true ending if there is one at all? I only got the good ending in Persona 4 and didn't realize there was more for a while.

Not very much as far as I know.
Everyone gets the same ending if they avoid the bad ending. Other than that there are slight variations based on how many slinks you've maxed very much in the vein of how in P4 only maxed slinks outside the main party would show up to encourage you to stand up again in the last bossfight.

ckohler

Do those of you who've beaten it have any non-spoiler gameplay tips for us waiting until February?

Also, can you describe what the four difficulty levels are?

Shouta

Do those of you who've beaten it have any non-spoiler gameplay tips for us waiting until February?

Also, can you describe what the four difficulty levels are?

The difficulty levels are pretty standard for a Persona game. Safety is basically Story mode. Easy/Normal are probably similar to previous games. Hard mode is similar to previous games but actually might be a bit harder because enemies will continue to hit your chars really like trucks for most of the game. When I mean truck, I mean easily 50%-75% of your life without buffs and things can go south really fast if the AI decides to target your weaknesses or you accidentally mess up somehow.

Dantis

If you don't understand Japanese, then you can't really comment on it from a narrative standpoint can you? =p

Last act is amazing both in events and being relevant thematically. Perhaps a bit heavy-handed as Hasemo points out but it's a good exclamation point for a game that didn't make throw its message into the face of the players all game.

Man, I disagree so much.

It's like the best game I've played all year, but everything narrative from the end of dungeon 7 onwards was yikers (aside from one super cool thing).
It still played great, and the final boss was really good from a gameplay design, but the context and design left me hoping for something more.

PK Gaming

Persona 5 isn't even out in NA and you're already this close to giving me an aneurysm Dantis, lmao.

PersonaGAF discussions are gonna be intense when the game finally launches over here.

Slixshot

Banned
Just started persona 4 golden for the 2nd time with the first being one of my favorite experiences. How are people saying they compare?

Shouta

Man, I disagree so much.

It's like the best game I've played all year, but everything narrative from the end of dungeon 7 onwards was yikers (aside from one super cool thing).
It still played great, and the final boss was really good from a gameplay design, but the context and design left me hoping for something more.

Yikers doesn't say anything at all about it at all, lol. It just looks like you're judging it based on what's being shown, not what's being shown and what's being said. Understanding what's going on in detail is super important especially because the game's themes and messages are present throughout the title and tie everything together.

I'm not far enough to say anything about the overall plot, but I can say that the gameplay is obviously a huge step up.

The character interactions on the other hand is a step down from 4. Granted it's subjective. 4's characters were so colorful and wacky that they were kind unrealistic caricatures whereas the Persona 5 characters are a lot more down to Earth and normal. I'm sure there are people that would prefer the more "human" approach of 5 but I prefer the pure entertainment value that the eccentric characters of 4 offer. Granted you do have eccentrics like Yusuke and Futaba but it's not quite on the same level.

Dantis

Wrote up some of my thoughts on P5 in PGAF:

My non-spoiler thoughts on Persona 5:

It cannot be overstated that this is a brilliant game. Alongside everything else on the JRPG scene at the moment, I don't know of anything that even comes close to the level of polish and design and art that Persona 5 exudes from its very core. Like Persona 3 and 4, it always feels like every aspect of it matches up with every other. The music and the art tie together in a way that almost never happens.

Gameplay has been mentioned by pretty much everyone, but basically it's brilliant. The dungeons are long and interesting, and usually pleasing to look at. The puzzles they add are almost never frustrating and in their best moments really add some variety to standard dungeon crawling.

As an aside, I didn't know how much I wanted to have demons added in as enemies as opposed to Shadows. It adds variety and makes it slot back into the MegaTen spinoff feel alongside games like DDS. As a long time player it's also great to see demons I remember, and then see them act the same way they did back in Nocturne and DDS. The fear I experienced when I encountered three Thoths was the real deal.

The battle system is largely intact, particularly if you've played P4G. Things like navigator participation and follow up attacks from those not in the party make a welcome appearance, but contextualised in a less obnoxious way than in P4G. No riding in on mopeds here, boys.
Demon negotiation is fine, and functions as a reliable way to obtain the specific demon that you want, which makes a nice change.
The hostage taking, however, which is basically reverse negotiation, is really not good, but it happens so rarely that it's not something to worry about. In my 88 hours of game time, I experienced it maybe four times?
Side-note: You can get MegaTen'd again, which I don't know how people are going to react to. There were a couple of times that I lost progress because a single move didn't go how I planned and then I got insta wiped by a random mob.

S Links function a lot more similarly than I think we were led to believe, but I think that's fine. I have no idea if the stories that they tell are any good, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

The soundtrack is excellent, though I'm surprised by how limited it is once again. Due to the long length of development and the fact that Meguro hasn't really scored anything since P4G, I had expected like a 6-disc epic, but there's actually no more music than Persona 4. You're hearing the same battle theme all through the game. Under The Mask (the nighttime theme) plays throughout the whole game too, so expect to hear it a lot.
Music is less catchy and more ambient this time around, and tracks are full length, so the feeling of repetition doesn't set in as quickly, but more variety would have still been appreciated.
Dungeon music is exceptional, which is a pleasant surprise. Meguro hasn't composed dungeon themes of this quality in a looong time, and it's a huge step up from P4's largely mediocre performance.
My two criticisms of the OST are that :-
A) The Mementos theme is terrible. Straight up. It's like a 40 second loop that goes on and on and on. It's awful. I'll honestly be surprised if it turns out that Meguro wrote it. I feel like he's better than this.
B) The final boss theme is surprisingly weak. It's not bad, but it pales in comparison to The Battle for Everyone's Souls and fog. It's a pretty straightforward track, and it really lacks power or finality.

The visuals are excellent, despite being technically lacking. The colours really pop, and everything genuinely does look super stylish. Scene composition is lovely, and the amount of character that the simple animations convey is wonderful. This is especially apparent in save rooms and hideouts, where characters are left to do their own thing. Anne sits on a table with her legs crossed in a casual way, whilst Yusuke contemplates in the corner, occasionally framing up the scene. It looks really great, and I so hope that they add a screenshot function at some point.

The game is really long. Like I say, it took me ~88 hours to complete. That's doing all the Mementos floors pretty thoroughly, and not skippng voiced dialogue. Because of the dungeon design things never get boring, and the escalation as the thieves take on higher and higher risk jobs means that the pace moves along much more nicely than the stop-start of previous games. The one exception is towards the end, when the game throws boss after boss after boss at you, which I personally found quite exhausting. Consecutive boss fights show up quite often in this section too, which heightens the stress. On the plus side, it does add some challenge, so at least the game isn't a cakewalk.

The individual dungeon stories are good. The first one, I think, will go down as a classic moment that people will remember, as well as dungeon 5, which is also excellent.
The overarching story is... not great. It's pretty silly, mostly predictable, and sometimes frustrating. The antagonists are incredibly evil, but also rather flat. Attempts to humanise what are definitively evil characters is pretty cringey, and the final boss is really dumb. It's not, like, terrible, but it's worse than Persona 4's, in my opinion.

The cast (from what I could tell) seems great. None of them feel like repeats of previous characters, and I was genuinely surprised how mature they seem relative to the silly nature of the game. I'm not sold on Morgana, in large part due to her constant presence, but that could definitely change when I play the English release.

Overall, it's, well, brilliant. It's what a Persona game should be, and largely it feels like a sequel to Persona 4. It doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it does smoothen it out. I found the final act to be pretty poor from a narrative perspective, but that's more due to my hope that it would rise above previous games, and it really is my only real fault with the game (It's also worht saying that the ending itself is really nice).

It's definitely a new Persona game, and I had forgotten how much I needed to play one again. I'm not convinced that it's a better game than Persona 3 and Persona 4, but it's up there alongside them. Hopefully when I play the English release the characters will hold up just as well.

Yikers doesn't say anything at all about it at all, lol. It just looks like you're judging it based on what's being shown, not what's being shown and what's being said. Understanding what's going on in detail is super important especially because the game's themes and messages are present throughout the title and tie everything together.

I am absolutely convinced that one late-game event cannot possibly contextualised in a way that makes it not super dumb. The final boss, maybe, but the thing I'm thinking of, nope.

I'm not far enough to say anything about the overall plot, but I can say that the gameplay is obviously a huge step up.

The character interactions on the other hand is a step down from 4. Granted it's subjective. 4's characters were so colorful and wacky that they were kind unrealistic caricatures whereas the Persona 5 characters are a lot more down to Earth and normal. I'm sure there are people that would prefer the more "human" approach of 5 but I prefer the pure entertainment value that the eccentric characters of 4 offer. Granted you do have eccentrics like Yusuke and Futaba but it's not quite on the same level.

I said this above, but I actually really liked this. I was really surprised how much more grounded they seem. Very impressed.

Shouta

Wrote up some of my thoughts on P5 in PGAF:

I am absolutely convinced that one late-game event cannot possibly contextualised in a way that makes it not super dumb. The final boss, maybe, but the thing I'm thinking of, nope.

I said this above, but I actually really liked this. I was really surprised how much more grounded they seem. Very impressed.

We can take it to the spoiler thread to avoid clogging this up but there's nothing in the ending that isn't explained and connects to stuff in the game. It's even foreshadowed.

Dantis

We can take it to the spoiler thread to avoid clogging this up but there's nothing in the ending that isn't explained and connects to stuff in the game. It's even foreshadowed.

Yeah, I've posted the main thing that I didn't like in there. I don't want to say much about it in here for obvious reasons.

I'll just say that i disagree with the memento music being bad. I like it.

In regards to this, at least, I know I'm not crazy. I've seen a lot of people complain about the Mementos music.

I don't mind the Mementos music but if you're going to be there for like 50 floors you might want to change up the music a bit. Even Persona 3 changed the Tartarus music a little.

Or maybe it does change and I haven't gotten far enough to see it yet, I dunno

Dantis

I don't mind the Mementos music but if you're going to be there for like 50 floors you might want to change up the music a bit. Even Persona 3 changed the Tartarus music a little.

Or maybe it does change and I haven't gotten far enough to see it yet, I dunno
It doesn't, haha.

I just turned down my TV and put on a podcast.

The late-late game story stuff honestly felt like it was just paying homage to Megaten tropes. It wasn't exactly out of nowhere, but it didn't feel as lively or as thematically resonant as it did in the previous entries to me.

That being said the actual ending and epilogue is great and the big finale moment is also fantastic, so it's not like the backend of the game is total doodie or anything. Just kinda feels like it's going through the motions in certain parts.

In regards to this, at least, I know I'm not crazy. I've seen a lot of people complain about the Mementos music.

I go to the mementos and i don't spend a lot of time in there.

But i like it. Opinions maybe , but i like it.

It's not like the tartarus where you'll spend all your time in there. You're supposed to go into the mementos for 1 or 2 objectives and then pull out.

Shouta

The late-late game story stuff honestly felt like it was just paying homage to Megaten tropes. It wasn't exactly out of nowhere, but it didn't feel as lively or as thematically resonant as it did in the previous entries to me.

That being said the actual ending and epilogue is great and the big finale moment is also fantastic, so it's not like the backend of the game is total doodie or anything. Just kinda feels like it's going through the motions in certain parts.

I can definitely agree with it being a bit of a homage to Megaten tropes. I don't really agree that what happens isn't as lively or thematically resonant though unless you're referring to the events alone and not what's actually occurring in the story.

bluethree

Mementos music isn't that terrible, it's just kind of repetitive and annoying, and sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the game's brilliant soundtrack.

I go to the mementos and i don't spend a lot of time in there.

But i like it. Opinions maybe , but i like it.

It's not like the tartarus where you'll spend all your time in there. You're supposed to go into the mementos for 1 or 2 objectives and then pull out.

I spent a very long time in Memento dungeons...and I still like it!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I think what's more annoying in Mementos is that every time you open a door the conversations/party banter just stops. They're prettying entertaining too so it sucks that they don't just continue.

I actually like the Mementos music too. I don't like how it feels like the shadows are always underleveled compared to what you face in the dungeons. I wish there was some sort of actually sense of danger as you go down further and you eventually reach a point where it's too dangerous to continue, but that's not really the case. Doors are always locked up tight to make sure you don't get your pretty little ass whooped.

So, to peek in here without spoilers, whats the verdict now that its been out awhile?

How long is the game?

Seems like most everyone absolutely adores it.

Game can be as short as maybe 80 hours and go much longer than that if you take your time.

Jintor

watching the persona 4 endurance run and man, i'm so into the new engine we have now, it makes everything so much less weirdly doll-like

RPGCrazied

Game can be as short as maybe 80 hours and go much longer than that if you take your time.

Wow, hope nothing comes out in February so I can devout all my time on it. Hopefully I'll be done with FF XV and WoFF by then. Oh yeah and KH 2.8. To many games!

Yup like me, I just finished my first playthrough...134h33

I started the second one but saved after 20 minutes, too tired, will play after I've slept a bit.

So, to peek in here without spoilers, whats the verdict now that its been out awhile?

How long is the game?

I can't speak Japanese and I haven't played the game nor have I watched much of other people playing or read any spoilers, but I can say I felt a little let down by the writing and story.

Other than that it seems great.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the 20th anniversary edition for the soundtracks mostly but I decided to play awhile despite my very limited Japanese. I'm actually still enjoying it quite a bit even knowing I'll hit a wall eventually. The music and graphics are incredible at least. I know it's a long thread and I'm sure it's come up before but are screenshots really disabled for the whole title? That's incredibly disappointing and stupid. Is there any hope that won't make it into the English release?

Acid08

Banned
I can't speak Japanese and I haven't played the game nor have I watched much of other people playing or read any spoilers, but I can say I felt a little let down by the writing and story.

Other than that it seems great.

I read Brothers Karamazov in Russian, a language I do not speak. It was shit, I couldn't understand the story at all!

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
For the obsessed like me https://kamigame.jp/ペルソナ5/アイテム/スキルカード.html
great list of obtainable skill cards.

Also advice for those still in their first playthrough that want to dive later into the system.
For maximum payoff make sure to get each card once so you can get let Yusuke replicate them later. Don't be like me and waste your blank cards on replicating without plan. Skill cards will carry over so once you get Yusuke back he'll be able to replicate all the cards you've previously unlocked. Also unlocking is time gated since you can only do persona itemification once per day.

zeromcd73

HOLY FUCK

(massive end game spoilers)
OMG Igor. OMG his voice changing back to his hold one (rip voice actor) omg omg omg omg omg

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Rpgmonkey

Just finished the second dungeon (I've had very little time to play this so I have a lot of catching up to do with the rest of the thread, lol). Gave myself a few days to spare this time, with the first dungeon I decided to finish it at the last minute and it kinda pushed me into the next chapter faster than I would have liked, which gave me the impression that I finished it "late".

Seems like more interesting stuff starts happening with the Persona-collecting around level 19, so I can see myself spending more time on it going forward.

HOLY FUCK

(massive end game spoilers)
OMG Igor. OMG his voice changing back to his hold one (rip voice actor) omg omg omg omg omg

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
Totally in the same boat as you :D

When they revealed
the trick they pulled on us for the entire game and the change following said revelation, I had to stop for a few seconds and let out a few "whaaaaaa-" lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom