• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

I must say though I keep finding it funny that you're being interrogated by Sae, she has to sit there and listen to how you ate this giant burger one day, worked at a store another day, met this crazy hot doctor, etc...

"One day we all got naked and sat in a big bathtub while an old man kept adding hot water."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
man as soon as that last week or so of May opens the game up again, its so good. Thats when the game is strongest by far, when you are juggling all those acitivities and relationships. Its actually quite bizarre that sometimes they take that away from you.

Im actually cutting the second palace kinda close tho, I have 5 days left so I best get on with it. If only Ann and Tae stop calling me ;_;

nOoblet16

Considering how developed Joker's personality is and that his answers aren't all that different usually, Idonno why they still decided to on the "mute protagonist to embodiment player" route. Especially when he does indeed have some voiced lines.

I've just started the second palace, and I still don't have the stats necessary to start Ann's Social Link in earnest. Is that bad?

I'm also wondering what everyone's opinion is of the different jobs--I still haven't done any yet.

sephi22

Considering how developed Joker's personality is and that his answers aren't all that different usually, Idonno why they still decided to on the "mute protagonist to embodiment player" route. Especially when he does indeed have some voiced lines.

So you watch the inevitable anime.

nOoblet16

I must say though I keep finding it funny that you're being interrogated by Sae, she has to sit there and listen to how you ate this giant burger one day, worked at a store another day, met this crazy hot doctor, etc...
The fact that there is a dialogue with her everytime you for a confidant bond leads to some awkward moments.

Video game kid becomes a confidant
*Tense music plays*
"You know how to handle a gun, you must have had some help...WHO WAS IT?"

Lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've just started the second palace, and I still don't have the stats necessary to start Ann's Social Link in earnest. Is that bad?

I'm also wondering what everyone's opinion is of the different jobs--I still haven't done any yet.

jobs seem completely useless unless its to trigger a social link. You get a ton of money everywhere

Raxus

Nope. Most of the last party members introduced in the dungeon don't get links until the next dungeon starts up. It is kind of annoying considering how important Baton Pass is in the game.

BLCKATK

I've always felt the Persona protagonists have had their own underlying character traits in the past (Makoto Yuki being more quiet, somber, and introverted while Yu Narukami being more calm, collected and insightful) so seeing them push that even further has really been a treat for me. Originally playing Persona 3 I projected myself onto the protagonist but from then on I've seen them as their own individual character, almost asking his conscious for advice on what to say.

I think the fact that I beat Palaces in one sitting affects my personal opinion of them, but honestly I'm getting a bit tired of how long some of them are. Specifically, Palace 3 and Palace 5 so far.

On Palace 3, the quest to open the vault was very tedious. If it was 1 or 2 locks shorter it may have been decent, but instead it felt very repetitive. On Palace 5, I HATED the quest to find the ID cards. Good god, I backtracked a lot, only to realize that the enemies I needed to beat were always near the door... Also, the dungeon felt unnecessarily long. Thankfully, the different ideas that were implemented on it made it kind of enjoyable later. It doesn't really help that the villains were also kind of bland, on both of them.

I had the same exactly impression of the dungeons.
I was so used to one-shotting the dungeons in Persona 4 that I don't like it when I have to leave the dungeons in Persona 5. I immediately went for the SP Regen Accessories once I realized they exist in the game so I could stay in dungeons longer. Each dungeon is so freakishly long and drains you. Dungeon 3 and 5 were definitely guilty of this. Dungeon 3's last stretch to unlock the doors felt too long. Dungeon 5's search for the ID cards was BS. The timing of the factory line machines was also irritating since I didn't kill all the enemies first before pressing the buttons. At least the last airlock sequence in Dungeon 5 was enjoyable and a nice breather. Onto Palace 6 tonight...

Raxus

The flower job is probably the only one I'd really do more than once.

Only because Kindness seems to be the most difficult stat to increase.
You must do each job at least twice.

One opens a social link the other two open Mementos missions.

Ydelnae

I don't know why, but all the Palaces so far have felt short for me. The only time I've thought that the thing just kept going was in the last portion of the third one.

Post-Fourth palace spoilers

I completed Futaba's palace in one day, so she will now spend 25 days sleeping.

Sojiro's reaction: lmao this happens everytime smh

My main issue with Morgana is that I expected it to be a "her" rather than a "him". A male, kind of pervert, full of himself mascot character that tries to act big despite his size, is really cliche and makes Morgana rather boring. I didn't pay attention to most of the pre release stuff about P5 and I was sure that Morgana was a female name, so it certainly betrayed my expectations... Would make the character a lot more interesting. It's a cool design but he's pretty much my least favourite of the group.

That's definitely understandable. I thought Morgana would be a female too since I didn't pay attention to the pre-release stuff and went in blind. I am just tired of reading so many posts earlier in the thread when everyone was raving about how amazing Ryuji is and dissing Morgana.

I personally find all the characters unique and well developed. One of them is obviously the one I dislike the most since there's no growth of character
(Ryuji)
. Morgana at least develops as a character and I am enjoying his character. At the very very very least, he brings in much needed experience and composure to the group. It's like Luna and Artemis in Sailormoon.

nOoblet16

I'd advice people to not look up the lyrics of the songs with vocals. Because if you do then you'll become aware of and start to notice the large vocal leaps that the singers make whenever the vocals in the songs go into Engrish mode for particular verses. And it might end up affecting your opinion of them a bit lol.

Mesharey

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, I entered the 3rd dungeon and my bond with coffee shop guy is still 2, dunno how to increase it.

That feel when you fight a boss battle for half an hour then realize you actually do have Psi on one of your personas and that's the one thing you didn't make sure to check if he's weak against or not.

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, I entered the 3rd dungeon and my bond with coffee shop guy is still 2, dunno how to increase it.

I'd recommend holding off on Sojiro until after the 4th palace. His SL halts until then.

BLCKATK

That feel when you fight a boss battle for half an hour then realize you actually do have Psi on one of your personas and that's the one thing you didn't make sure to check if he's weak against or not.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did something similar...

I wasted so many resources..

Ulong

If I download this DLC to wear normal school clothing instead of silly outfits, can I equip it mid dungeon or do I have to go get it from my room where I am sadly not saved right now?

Kolx

So what does the
temporally increase money from battle
in the furtune rank 3 mean?
Like some random battle will give me more money? Or just the first few battles?

Ulong

So what does the

Bonus Money on every single battle you end with an all out attack, for the rest of the day.
No reason not to do it before a dungeon trip I think.

It's all in your room, sadly.

Ah bummer.

Nose Master

Palace 3 boss:
did I miss something? He was really weak, but he had an absurd amount of health. I was probably a bit overleveled from fucking around, but with attack down on him it was just tedium.

Lusankya

So what does the

All battles you finish with an All-Out Attack will give you double the amount of money. The effect only lasts for the current day only.

Mikey Jr.

What is up with levelling up the fucking cafe owner?

Jesus.

Feels like you have to make coffee with bastard a million times before you gain one rank.

I just want to make curry God dammit.

Also, fuck levelling up guts too. You get like 1 pip of guts here and there.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
What is up with levelling up the fucking cafe owner?

Jesus.

Feels like you have to make coffee with bastard a million times before you gain one rank.

I just want to make curry God dammit.

Also, fuck levelling up guts too. You get like 1 pip of guts here and there.

A bunch of his confidant is locked behind story stuff.

Whogie

Palace 3 boss:
did I miss something? He was really weak, but he had an absurd amount of health. I was probably a bit overleveled from fucking around, but with attack down on him it was just tedium.

Toward the end of the battle Morgana gives you the option to throw something to him to distract him. Otherwise he starts spamming that rolling attack and status effects, so it became hard to find time to attack him.

I'm on new game plus and leaving it at the dungeon 1 starting up. Just realised how little thenavrual school plays in the overall game. Are there any side activities within the school because don't remember ever spending a moment there beyond the forced lessons.

I haven't finished any coop yet, but one of my biggest issues (besides romancing) is how you don't really feel the need to hang out with maxed SL in P3/4. Which is weird, considering level 10 means you two are BFF.

They could give you some perks for doing it. Like a boost in a stat (like, Ryuji giving you points in Guts), a perk (Ann making it easier to convince Shadows to join you for the next few days) or other stuff if you hang out with them.

About romancing, I understand not being record voice lines for every single possible situation. But some comments here and there, not voices, like Sojiro asking you to bring your girlfriend to the Café when you arrive home, some reaction if you say something flirty to a different character in front of them would be cool, or some NPCs asking you something about it before you hang out with them to level up their coop. Nothing too fancy, but that kind of acknowledges it.

And go all out in cheating lol. If they find out, have the SL reversed. And once you've been exposed, make it so you can't Direct Command those reversed characters for a while due to her being really angry.

Dude, I've been thinking exactly the same thing since P4! Crazy they didn't evolve on giving you incentive to hang out with friends you've already maxed. They could then balance it by giving the player agency in more evenings (to make up for the additional time you'll be spending with Maxed out friends) which would alleviate most people's other issue with P5.

And I was saying something similar about Confidants tying into the narrative earlier as well:

I honestly think it wouldn't be that hard to add just a liiiiittle bit of Confidant level overlap with the main story if they could be bothered to do it.

Hypothetical (not a real spoiler):

During a main narrative conversation on 9/9, a single little exchange could take place given a variety of parameters. Morgana (whose Confidant is hard locked to a date) mentions how close you are with [Romantic Partner Team Member (if true) > Highest Ranked Team Member Over Rank 7 (if true) > Highest Ranked Non-Team Member Over Rank 7 (if true) > "You're not easy to get to know." (if all above are false)]. Just stuff like that sprinkled more liberally through the main narrative would do so much for the feeling of a cohesive world.

On the other end, insert a single line into Confidant scenes about where you are in the main narrative to make those scenes feel so removed from time. "Hanging out with you is a blast. Hopefully we get more time after we conquer [character relative to date's] palace."

Anyway, as much as I love P5 and as much as all I needed was a slightly bigger, better, sharper P4G, it would be really nice to see them go all in on some of these major changes in P6.

Finding it quite difficult to get personas with Psy based power, it's the only one for which I don't have the "ma" ability..and I am level 40.

You need to find a Regent Treasure Demon! It has basically every first level Ma- skill. You can find them in the second level of Mementos (the first level past the forced intro area).

mike6467

Ohh is it? Ok that's good to know I guess. Won't worry about him too much anymore I guess.

If you've been working on him a lot, you'll probably have a string of rank ups when that story stuff is done, so at least there's that.

Also burger place seems to be the best place for guts.

Ulong

If you've been working on him a lot, you'll probably have a string of rank ups when that story stuff is done, so at least there's that.

Does it work that way, or has he only built up enough points to the first rank up and then it resets?

Miang

On a night shift and can't stop thinking about this game. Can't wait for break so I can remote play on my Vita. Just hook it to my veeeeiiiiins

Just started 5th dungeon.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the first palace. Definitely liked that way more than any of the dungeons in P4G. Still enjoy the character and social link stuff more than the dungeons and combat, buy that will always be the case for me in these kind of games as I'm not a fan of turn based combat. Playing on Normal for now since the difficulty is adjustable, unlike P4G where I just started on the 2nd easiest. I figure I'll drop to easy eventually, but will give Normal a go. Again, just not a turn based fan and don't want to have to worry to much about optimizing builds/personas/the right social links.

In any case, loving the game and will play more after dinner.

They don't let you hang out with him when you actually get to the story gated parts though

mike6467

Does it work that way, or has he only built up enough points to the first rank up and then it resets?

They don't let you hang out with him when you actually get to the story gated parts though

But right after that they do, and wouldn't the rank ups occur at that time? From what I read each link has a set number of points to max it out. I doubt it throws those points out when you rank up, otherwise they'd completely remove the option to spend time with him (or at least they should if they're going to make it work that way).

Edit: I'm not saying it was the ideal way to spend his time, I'm just saying I can't imagine it was for nothing and will payoff later when the option to spend time with him comes back. It's an assumption though, and I could be wrong. Though I'd be pissed if they continued to offer the option to hangout with him if those blocks of times were ultimately going to mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom