• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva1991

So I played p4 all the way through, but there are a few things I'm still not 100% on. When it says ",not yet ready to advance", does that mean that visit is useless or do I have to do multiple of those visits? I noticed in p4 that sometimes without doing anything different, events would happen that would auto improve a link.

I would like to know this is well. I want to max out my social links on my second playthrough, but I will have no tolerance for wasting my time.

Ydelnae

I just got spoiled some major late game revelation I think,
I didn't know Goro was going to join the party. I figured he would be a rival persona user but a YouTube video had his All out attack portrait with his Thief design :/

Ulong

There seem to be very few events that auto improve social links this time around. I'm not noticing any musical notes when you say, make a comment that ryuji likes during a storyline scene or anything.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Heart broken after finishing the game </3

Great game and probably my GOTY, but it's not as good as Persona 4 to me.

P5 has the much better dungeons and much improved combat, but P4 has the much much much better story, characters and music overall.

About the story,
to me it just never really gets better and that probably why i thought the game was longer than it should have been. There aren't even great twists like the reall final boss of P4 ... unless I missed it somehow?

Characters are good, but never grew on me in the last 2 or 3 or even more dungeons sadly.

So yeah great game and a great JRPG overall. I just wish I liked the story more than that.

At least final boss is better than P4's. Not even close to Nyx Avatar though.

Dunno man fake Igor was an amazing twist to me given on all the different levels it worked. I don't really think any twist within the series holds up to that.
As for the rest I mean that's what I was basically saying for the last 6 months or so anyway. Don't matter if the game is better if the story/characters/theme doesn't connect.
For some P5 will be the new fav for other will prefer P4 or P3.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So I played p4 all the way through, but there are a few things I'm still not 100% on. When it says ",not yet ready to advance", does that mean that visit is useless or do I have to do multiple of those visits? I noticed in p4 that sometimes without doing anything different, events would happen that would auto improve a link.

4 had more situations where talking to someone outside of their link activities would raise the rank (like complimenting someone in the group in a normal conversation), and test results boosted people's affection to you instead of charm. In 5, the only thing (at least that I've encountered) that will raise someone's rank outside of the confidant activities is
having your fortune read about them.

So, if you want to raise their rank, you'll probably have to hang out with them a time or two without raising their rank.

Unless I'm completely wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't know Goro was going to join the party. I figured he would be a rival persona user but a YouTube video had his All out attack portrait with his Thief design :/

It's significant, but not critical. People had pretty much pieced it together before the game even came out due to some Atlus marketing stuff. Rookie mistake, though. You should stop looking up Persona stuff online because it could have been a LOT worse.

P5 has the much better dungeons and much improved combat, but P4 has the much much much better story, characters and music overall.

About the story,
to me it just never really gets better and that probably why i thought the game was longer than it should have been. There aren't even great twists like the reall final boss of P4 ... unless I missed it somehow?

Characters are good, but never grew on me in the last 2 or 3 or even more dungeons sadly.

So yeah great game and a great JRPG overall. I just wish I liked the story more than that.

I really don't get this opinion. I thought pretty much every aspect of the story was way better than P4 and I enjoyed the characters here way more

Also, Izanami was a shitty twist that didn't really add any weight to the game and felt kind of shoehorned in in P4 (To the point where I'm sure if it weren't for guides most people would never even realize they had missed the true end).

In contrast *major story spoilers*
stuff like the Igor twist here was way more impactful and the thematic weight of the final boss was much higher

4th dungeon down after 45 hours.
Futaba's going to be even more eccentric than Yusuke isn't she? I feel like Yusuke is my weirdness limit. He's oblivious and it's funny. I get the sense that Futaba's going to be obnoxious. Great background though. Loved the story segment here.

It feels really good to be playing a Persona game for the first time again.

I'm not sure how far you're into the game but you get his social link a couple of months in. At that point, it's fairly obvious he's gonna play a role in your party either as playable or support.

FluxWaveZ

I find it difficult to think of a single element I prefer in Persona 4 over Persona 5. The two things I can kind of come up with is the opening animation feels more "complete"—while some parts of P5's feel rather abrupt and insubstantial—and "I'll Face Myself -Battle-" is more hype to me than the boss theme in P5.

About the story,

So I haven't finished the game yet, but I can echo the same sentiments so far. I'm going into Palace 6, so there's still a lot of game left. However, I really like this game, a lot. I haven't been hooked by a game like this in years. But in comparison to Persona 4, I felt the group gelled together a lot better. I can imagine all of them being truly friends even outside of the Investigation Team, whereas this group feels like a lot of outcasts who just happened to be part of the same team. Their chemistryl, while good, just doesn't match Persona 4's team.

With that said, as individuals, these characters are almost all more interesting than the individual characters in Persona 4. Except Ryuji, he's just an idiot.

silva1991

Dunno man fake Igor was an amazing twist to me given on all the different levels it worked. I don't really think any twist within the series holds up to that.
As for the rest I mean that's what I was basically saying for the last 6 months or so anyway. Don't matter if the game is better if the story/characters/theme doesn't connect.
For some P5 will be the new fav for other will prefer P4 or P3.

I really don't get this opinion. I thought pretty much every aspect of the story was way better than P4 and I enjoyed the characters here way more

Also, Izanami was a shitty twist that didn't really add any weight to the game and felt kind of shoehorned in in P4 (To the point where I'm sure if it weren't for guides most people would never even realize they had missed the true end).

In contrast *major story spoilers*
stuff like the Igor twist here was way more impactful and the thematic weight of the final boss was much higher

Ok I must be tired, because
that Igor stuff didn't cross my mind. It's still not as brilliant as Izanami imo.
Will time for another playthrough. Metatron will be mine.

FluxWaveZ

Ok I must be tired, because
that Igor stuff didn't cross my mind. It's still not as brilliant as Izanami imo.
Will time for another playthrough. Metatron will be mine.

Might not be the right thread to discuss this in-depth&#8212;more of a thing for the spoiler thread&#8212;but I fail to see (Persona 4 Spoilers)
what was brilliant about the Izanami twist. Even back then, it felt really tacked on and I wondered if they had just added it to the game, with a single bit of foreshadowing added to the start, once the main plot was done with.

Might not be the right thread to discuss this in-depth—more of a thing for the spoiler thread—but I fail to see (Persona 4 Spoilers)
what was brilliant about the Izanami twist. Even back then, it felt really tacked on and I wondered if they had just added it to the game , with a single bit of foreshadowing added to the start, once the main plot was done with.

I agree completely

MKIL65

About the story,
to me it just never really gets better and that probably why i thought the game was longer than it should have been. There aren't even great twists like the reall final boss of P4 ... unless I missed it somehow

Yeah,
There really wasn't any buildup, things just happened. Kind of annoying that the game goes ''fuck you, your efforts were meaningless!'' near the final dungeon.

But then it goes ''Yeah, now people acknowledge you!'' (for some reason) and blah blah ultimate being dies. It's so immersion breaking.

ramyeon

I find it difficult to think of a single element I prefer in Persona 4 over Persona 5. The two things I can kind of come up with is the opening animation feels more "complete"—while some parts of P5's feel rather abrupt and insubstantial—and "I'll Face Myself -Battle-" is more hype to me than the boss theme in P5.
I think Persona 5 will have a tough time beating the atmosphere that P4G delivered in the Winter months. With Snowflakes playing in the background and wrapping up Social Links and everything that came before it... man, it was so good.
Might not be the right thread to discuss this in-depth—more of a thing for the spoiler thread—but I fail to see (Persona 4 Spoilers)
what was brilliant about the Izanami twist. Even back then, it felt really tacked on and I wondered if they had just added it to the game, with a single bit of foreshadowing added to the start, once the main plot was done with.
To be fair there was more foreshadowing about
Izanami than just that.

I feel like I'm the only one who REALLY likes Ohya. I love her S. Link and her personality. It was an incredibly tough decision between her and Tae to romance but Tae won out because of that fucking spiderweb dress goddammit.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Lol is the translation so bad?[Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled endgame]
Like how do people even come away with there was no build up for Yaldabaoth for P5.

Shouta

Good luck, considering that you can only strengthen a specific persona once a day.

Though, considering many of the Velvet Room mechanics, it'd be possible to make Arsene pretty powerful, if one was dedicated to it.

Ri2fjAL.png

Null Blessing
Null Ice
Ali Dance
Advice
Medirama
Megidolaon
Null Phys
Brave Blade.

I had one that was even stronger in stats after a bunch more time in the Velvet room.

Has no weaknesses, avoids criticals at a higher rate, critcals like crazy on attack, can heal, and deal with enemies that reflect physical attacks.

The trick to using the Gallows more than once a day is to do it, then save your persona in the compendium. Get rid of it and then resummon it from the compendium again. It's very cash intensive. You can also manipulate its status gains.

wrongway

Early May is brutal with all the story beats wiping out huge chunks of free time. I thought I'd hit the books after the first dungeon stuff wrapped up. Get a level in Knowledge ahead of midterms, ya know? Should've been trivial to get rank 2, with time on the side for other stuff. Instead I ended up cramming and got rank 2 on the eve of the test. towelguy.meme

I think Persona 5 will have a tough time beating the atmosphere that P4G delivered in the Winter months. With Snowflakes playing in the background and wrapping up Social Links and everything that came before it... man, it was so good.

Izanami than just that.

Did you play Vanilla P4 or P4G only? Because I feel like golden added a lot more extra foreshadowing of Izanami that was completely nonexistent in the original

FluxWaveZ

The trick to using the Gallows more than once a day is to do it, then save your persona in the compendium. Get rid of it and then resummon it from the compendium again. It's very cash intensive. You can also manipulate its status gains.

Might try to go for something like this in NG+; sounds fun.

Izanami than just that.

In P4G, but in the original game? It was basically just (Persona 4 Spoilers):
Gas Station Attendant.

Theswweet

So I haven't finished the game yet, but I can echo the same sentiments so far. I'm going into Palace 6, so there's still a lot of game left. However, I really like this game, a lot. I haven't been hooked by a game like this in years. But in comparison to Persona 4, I felt the group gelled together a lot better. I can imagine all of them being truly friends even outside of the Investigation Team, whereas this group feels like a lot of outcasts who just happened to be part of the same team. Their chemistryl, while good, just doesn't match Persona 4's team.

With that said, as individuals, these characters are almost all more interesting than the individual characters in Persona 4. Except Ryuji, he's just an idiot.

I'd have to disagree, heavily. The "core" of the Investigation Team was a group of kids trying to defend their quiet town, while trying to grow up and figure out all of their places in the world. Persona 5 takes a different approach, which makes it hard to compare the two. To me, the "partners in crime" angle feels a lot more personal, especially with the whole "prisoner to fate" thing that the social links have going on.

ramyeon

Did you play Vanilla P4 or P4G only? Because I feel like golden added a lot more extra foreshadowing of Izanami that was completely nonexistent in the original
I played both.
The Izanami myth was foreshadowed in classes wasn't she? Or was that added in P4G?
In P4G, but in the original game? It was basically (Persona 4 Spoilers):
Gas Station Attendant.
I don't think it was the best way to handle it, but I don't think it was as bad as some other JRPG end boss reveals. I liked the way it was this deity who basically bestows these powers onto people on a whim in order to observe them and their desires.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The way the group gelled together in 4 honestly always rubbed me the wrong way. Everything felt too "nice" in order to make you feel like king shit of inaba.

I honestly thought 4 was a stepdown from 3 and I'm glad 5 is back to not constantly masturbating you as king god protagonist..

Lol is the translation so bad?
Like how do people even come away with there was no build up for Yaldabaoth for P5.

I mean, I could see people arguing that
the foreshadowing for Yaldabaoth was largely subtle and thematic and there aren't really any direct references or hints to the existence of such a being beyond a few small details in Mementos. That said Vanilla P4 was probably even worse in regards to Izanami, and the thematic and narrative buildup to Yaldabaoth was definitely super solid with stuff like the poll and the way the public reacted to events in the game, as well as the general idea of social reform

nOoblet16

Uh..What's this palace 6 has made me go back to the real world twice instead of the usual one time that they make you do at the start. I think palace 2 was the same.

Regardless, palace 6 is the best one so far. Everything about it is great and it doesn't really feel like a "dungeon".

I played both.
The Izanami myth was foreshadowed in classes wasn't she? Or was that added in P4G?

I don't think it was the best way to handle it, but I don't think it was as bad as some other JRPG end boss reveals. I liked the way it was this deity who basically bestows these powers onto people on a whim in order to observe them and their desires.

The in class myth on the field trip is pretty tacked on and the myth has pretty much nothing to do with the thematic beats of the game

silva1991

It's just how i feel about it.
Realizing that the very first and random NPC we met is the one behind it all was one of the biggest WTF moment I ever had while playing game. Soemthing I didn't feel with P5's twist.

Speaking of social link. The music of maxing them out is disappointing in this game compared to P4's :p

BouncyFrag

Just looking for some general tips about strengthening and fusing personas for a noob to Persona such as how much should I focus on it, etc.

ramyeon

oh I agree that it was poorly labeled and should have been handled better. I just felt that your response was still a bit of an overreaction in how it was worded
It's not the first time it's happened in this thread. It's even in the title of the thread but people still can't seem to wrap their heads around it.

Question about Fortune Confidant

100k just to get started on this social link seems to be a bit much. I'm only at 7/1 as of this post, and I have 174,745 yen, should I save up some more cash or just buy that stone asap?

ramyeon

Question about Fortune Confidant

100k just to get started on this social link seems to be a bit much. I'm only at 7/1 as of this post, and I have 174,745 yen, should I save up some more cash or just buy that stone asap?
ASAP.

Her confidant rewards are really worthwhile and you want to get them as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom