• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Like with past games, characters have their strengths and weaknesses.

My only major disappointment storywise so far (I'm just about to start the 3rd dungeon) is how they've handled Ann. She was stellar during the first arc, but they've fallen back on bad tropes with her. Her looks, which should be a source of pain for her, are mainly played up for laughs and it's pretty miserable. Her Social Link is all over the place too, and she comes off even ditzier in those than she does in the main story.

I like her as a character, but the situations they keep putting her in are just kinda stupid and cringey. We get it, she's hot, she's blonde. We don't see much evidence of her being ostracized for this, so it's hard to emphasize while the game also keeps being like "HEY ANN'S HOT HUH?" Part of me wishes they could have gone full tilt with the bi-racial route and gone with something even more unusual than a blonde-haired, blue eyed girl. So far none of the bi-racial stuff has really come up in a way that's made Ann seem like an outcast. She mentions it here and there in her Social Link, but we simply don't see it.

This is a minor stain on a game that, at least so far, has had some genuinely touching moments and seems more natural than P3 and 4. June has been an excellent month for this, and I've grown to like the overall cast dynamic.

Only between 2nd and 3rd Palace, but i'm having a hard time choosing party members: i'm definitely keeping Ann, would like to have Morgana as healer and i can't decide between Ryuji and Yusuke, since they both are pretty Phys. based, but one has Atk. buff and the other is just cooler. But i also have problems filling all the missing elements with my own Personas, as i only get to have four or five elements plus a decent attacker, but i feel like i'm always missing something. There's also much more offensive elements now, so i guess it's almost impossible to have them all.
Ah, i also have one of those diamond personas, but i still don't know how to use them.

As you go on, there is little reason to have a set party. Dungeon 3, instead of splitting it over two in-game days, it's much more efficient to just switch out fresh party members. Every one gets a turn!

So in terms of cash efficiency are equipment upgrades worth it for single day palace runs in the early game ?

Ie will shelling out the cash for like the mid level armor and weapons allow me to deal with sufficient extra shadows to get more yen than they cost ? Ditto for restoration items (other than the SP restoring drinks which are a must) ?

I'm on easy if that makes a difference. Going to attempt a max SL run so cash is vital.

nOoblet16

So can every demon negotiation potentially result in you capturing it? I know about the personality thing but even trying to follow that I find a lot of negotiations end with them giving me an item and running away. Does the demon's remaining health affect it at all?

Also if I already have a demon, is it generally better to ask for money, and item, or just kill it?
Every demon that is at your level can be captured, health has no effect (except for times when low health actually automatically starts a negotiation). When you fully rank up sun confidant you can capture personas higher than your level.

Domstercool

110 hours later, all 5 max stats and 14 max confidants...the journey is over, and the reward was lovely.

It's going to be like missing some good old friends ,but at least I'll have a lot of fun memories of it.

Persona, since 3, always manages to make me a little soft, because the way the game is made, it lets you invest in the characters much more than other RPGs that you become attached to the group. :(

The improvements to its mechanics over Persona 4 are like the icing on the cake. A truly gem of an RPG.

nOoblet16

Went to an adult shop

Lsj5KLz.jpg

oNgjmAy.jpg

Aselith

Does anyone know if there's a difference between improving relations with Sojiro via making coffee or helping him run the shop? Seems like it gives you one note either way?

Edit: actually I just got two notes from making coffee

Toki767

Does anyone know if there's a difference between improving relations with Sojiro via making coffee or helping him run the shop? Seems like it gives you one note either way?

Edit: actually I just got two notes from making coffee
Making coffee will at least give you SP regeneration items.

Lusankya

Btw. I encountered three Persona 4 easter eggs up until September:

1. In Shibuya you can find posters with
Rise and Kanami
and you will get the
Rise poster
as a gift for your room later as well.

2. On TV they will mention that
a person named Naoto Shirogane was the first Detective Prince prior to Akechi.

3. In the Akihabara arcade center you can play the claw crane game and it plays
a version of the Junes jingle.

Lunar15

Rise and Kanami
and you will get the
Rise poster

There's also an easter egg where: Bubbly Hills DVD
plays P3 music.

Rarius

Rise and Kanami
and you will get the
Rise poster

Chie
is also a minor celebrity according to a report on TV

R0ckman

My only major disappointment storywise so far (I'm just about to start the 3rd dungeon) is how they've handled Ann. She was stellar during the first arc, but they've fallen back on bad tropes with her. Her looks, which should be a source of pain for her, are mainly played up for laughs and it's pretty miserable. Her Social Link is all over the place too, and she comes off even ditzier in those than she does in the main story.

I like her as a character, but the situations they keep putting her in are just kinda stupid and cringey. We get it, she's hot, she's blonde. We don't see much evidence of her being ostracized for this, so it's hard to emphasize while the game also keeps being like "HEY ANN'S HOT HUH?" Part of me wishes they could have gone full tilt with the bi-racial route and gone with something even more unusual than a blonde-haired, blue eyed girl. So far none of the bi-racial stuff has really come up in a way that's made Ann seem like an outcast. She mentions it here and there in her Social Link, but we simply don't see it.

This is a minor stain on a game that, at least so far, has had some genuinely touching moments and seems more natural than P3 and 4. June has been an excellent month for this, and I've grown to like the overall cast dynamic.

I like how the player can interrpret things different ways in this. A great example here. I for one just assumed her social link shows a side she's more comfortable with in front of the MC.
Makoto
doesn't behave exactly the same when she's alone with MC compared to when she is with the group either.

pixxxelz

So in terms of cash efficiency are equipment upgrades worth it for single day palace runs in the early game ?

Ie will shelling out the cash for like the mid level armor and weapons allow me to deal with sufficient extra shadows to get more yen than they cost ? Ditto for restoration items (other than the SP restoring drinks which are a must) ?

I'm on easy if that makes a difference. Going to attempt a max SL run so cash is vital.
I'm in the third dungeon (on normal) and I'm still using the starting equipment, the only thing you really need are those sp adhesives.

I'm halfway through the 4th dungeon. I've been coasting on whatever I get from locked chests amd starting equipment. You only need the sp accessories tbh.

They tried making Morgana kind of like Teddie but he's just less likeable than Teddie so far.
Morgana feels like such a nothing character too. At least Teddie had some funny moments. I'm sure it'll get expanded on later, but for now Morgana's most defining trait is that he wants to fuck Ann. I can't really bring myself to care about the other parts because they're just constant repeats of the same tropes.

FluxWaveZ

There is no parallel world Metaverse where Morgana is worse than Teddie.

And I didn't even see Morgana's infatuation as much of a big deal as some others are. Dude brings valuable experience and insight to the team. I actually like hearing what he has to say when the team is at an impasse.

R0ckman

Is
Kawakami
the only one to have her rank 10 bonus locked behind romance? I wanted to try to date other girls who you rarely interract with outside of business and social link ranking just to see othersides of the characters but that rank 10 is too good to pass up.

nOoblet16

Is
Kawakami
the only one to have her rank 10 bonus locked behind romance? I wanted to try to date other girls who you rarely interract with outside of business and social link ranking just to see othersides of the characters but that rank 10 is too good to pass up.
Her (or anyone's) rank bonus is not locked behind romance.

FluxWaveZ

Is
Kawakami

Temperance Confidant Spoiler:
She gains the massage ability, whether you romance her or not.

Toki767

I can see myself slightly preferring Teddie tbh, and it isn't because of the go to bed thing because that doesn't bother me at all.
Morgana tries to act all high and mighty way too much when he really just comes across as kind of a brat.

Teddie at least kind of embraces the way he is.

Zafir

Rise and Kanami
and you will get the
Rise poster

There's quite a few mentions on TV. There's references to P3 dotted around also.

Two P4 ones that I recently heard in December.

There's a comedy about a detective hanging people up on street lamps.

There was a news bit talking about a newbie politician called Taro Namatame.

FluxWaveZ

There's also a news story about
a woman aspiring to be a cop in a police academy who knows kung fu.

I guess this was early game, but there was also apparently a news story about
Rise Kujikawa, who is now 20 years old.
I missed this one, though.

Morgana tries to act all high and mighty way too much when he really just comes across as kind of a brat.

Teddie at least kind of embraces the way he is.
Yeah that kind of made his dynamic with Yosuke significantly more entertaining than Morgana just being an asshole to Ryuji for no reason, but then getting annoyed if he even slightly retaliates.

Kyrios

There's quite a few mentions on TV. There's references to P3 dotted around also.

There's a comedy about a detective hanging people up on street lamps.

There was a news bit talking about a newbie politician called Taro Namatame.

Yup,
the movie spoof of Beverly Hills 90210 that you can rent the DVD of has the hangout tune from P3.

Zafir

There's also a news story about
a woman aspiring to be a cop in a police academy who knows kung fu.

I guess this was early game, but there was also apparently a news story about
Rise Kujikawa, who is now 20 years old.
I missed this one, though.

Yeah. I missed that
Rise
one too.

I think it's funny in the erroneous perv anime scene where
Ann and Makoto sweat in the catbus
Yusuke is looking at
Makoto
instead. Guess he really isn't after her that way.

I'm glad about the owner of the 4th palace because I was wondering when we would get to see
a woman's palace

Yeah,
A.) The tone is all over the place. The first arc is strong. And then they just can't keep the momentum up.
B.) Her design is so annoying. Why only go 25% "American" to make a hot blonde, and why make a hot blonde if you want some social outcast while the game actively shows everyone in the 50 mile radius drooling over her? They didn't even get into it being an issue of bullying or jealousy from other girls, or cultural disconnects too much, beyond rumors about
Her and Kamoshida
and "feel bad for the hot white girl everyone thinks is hot" isn't all that compelling.It's pretty much cheating. Of course there could be a cultural reason as to why that rings particularly hollow to us.They could have given her some better back story and designed her as a gal type who dyes her hair and wears circle lenses because she models on the side.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is this
speech-giving dude
worth pursuing, gameplay wise, if Im not interested in trophies (aka in getting all the confidants)?

edit: also is the
fortune teller
later in the game? I havent found her anyware in the 3 locations I can go to

Chaos17

Yeah that kind of made his dynamic with Yosuke significantly more entertaining than Morgana just being an asshole to Ryuji for no reason, but then getting annoyed if he even slightly retaliates.

I don't know why people focus on Morgana being a jerk to Ryugi. All the group always on Ryugi back to not mess up and make fun of him. I don't like this kind of dynamic but I guess the writers wanted to write a different kind of group compared to P4 who tried to always being together. Same for Yusuke being threated like a weirdo by the group and I'm not even not talking about Futaba who had a forced
rehab
. So no STOP Ryugi isn't a victim at all. You're over thinking this.

P5 heroes are a lot more... well summer vacation just show how each don't really blend together. Specialy
the girls drawing a clear line and didn't wanted to have fun with the guys.

I prefered much more P4 group that really wanted to be friends, P5 are together because of their goal but don't pass time with each other.

Edit: you may ask, then why Morgana vs Ryugi ?
Well the dudes above who didn't tag in spoiler are probably talking about a story event (chapter 5) and if they had played until the end of that event
they should've understand if they're not stupid what was the real problem. Ryugi and Morgana have no real problem it's just the story who wanted to develop the cat and it will be explained.

Ulong

Anyone feel like you are less invested in the targets for heart stealing as it goes on? I feel like they provided so much more motivation for the first guy then the others after. As you go after bigger and bigger targets it get's less personal and while I still obviously think "this guy's horrible let's take him down" the motivation isn't as strong.

Shahadan

is this
speech-giving dude
worth pursuing, gameplay wise, if Im not interested in trophies (aka in getting all the confidants)?

fortune teller

Yeah he will give you some nice perks for hold ups

And as for her yeah it's later at another location you can't go to right now

molnizzle

Is there a confidant gift guide out here with the OFFICIAL English translations for the items? Everything I've found so far seems to be fan-translated from the Japanese version and some of the names are pretty hard to parse. Just wasted a gift on someone who didn't like it and accidentally saved over my old file when I was trying to load.

On the 3rd palace, glad to have
Makoto
on the team.

Makoto and Yusuke are probably my favorite characters so far.

I feel liek Ryuji and Ann started off great in the first arc, but Ryuji has been flip flop-ey with me, as he annoys me one second and then redeems himself the next. Ann just seems ditzier than I anticipated and kind of like a less fun Lisa. Not sure how to feel because I initially liked her a lot.

Ulong

is this
speech-giving dude

fortune teller

His perks are actually pretty okay, they all benefit
negotiations
. Also he gives you 3 charm every time you hang out with him. It's always good to get free social stat increases while doing something else, like a social link. Also, as far as I can tell the link auto advances so you can't mess it up.

Shahadan

I don't know why people focus on Morgana being a jerk to Ryugi. All the group always on Ryugi back to not mess up and make fun of him. I don't like this kind of dynamic but I guess the writers wanted to write a different kind of group compared to P4 who tried to always being together. Same for Yusuke being threated like a weirdo by the group and I'm not even not talking about Futaba who had a forced
rehab
. So no STOP Ryugi isn't a victim at all. You're over thinking this.

Morgana is really condescending and sometimes mean to Ryuji (and most of the time for no reason), the others aren't.

My only major disappointment story wise so far (I'm just about to start the 3rd dungeon) is how they've handled Ann. She was stellar during the first arc, but they've fallen back on bad tropes with her. Her looks, which should be a source of pain for her, are mainly played up for laughs and it's pretty miserable. Her Social Link is all over the place too, and she comes off even ditzier in those than she does in the main story.

She isn't upset that she is pretty and has no reason to be. Her "outcast" status is due to never having a stable group of friends or much family around until now.

Yeah she may be a ditz, but plenty of people in real life men and women are really fucking ditzy. Hell one of my best friends is a total ditz (holy fuck that sounds like something someone says before saying something racist as hell) That doesn't make them bad people or unlikable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom