• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of them except
the one that's got you in cuffs and the velvet twins
yup.

But hey, this more realistic than past games. Those MCs had(P3/4 Slink spoilers)
robots, Supernatural velvet room thrall chicks, and nationally famous pop stars
pining over them

P6, Early-to late 20's female protagonist LET'S DO IT. We might be ready in 2026 for it, which is probably the next time we'll see a mainline Persona game anyway.

Just give us ANY age female protagonist, please.

Edit:

I think persona 6 will be faster.

part of the length of persona 5's development was them getting used to HD game design and thus why they made catherine.

I wouldn't be that surprised if persona 6 came out in 2020 or so as the ps5 is on the way.

Even if PS5 was that close you know ATLUS would still put it out on PS4.

daveo42

Banned
I forgot to craft the item that let me eescape dungeon q.q
I'm stuck in mementos, lol

You know you can fast travel to the beginning from save spots and end of sections right?

I was going in with the intention of being faithful this time and all was going well with Takemi standing out above Ann but then I met Makoto. And then I met Kawakami. I think I'll like Futaba too. Sigh.

That's about where I'm stuck right now. Devil is always in for a good time too, even if the benefits are crap. I'l have to make a decision eventually. NG+ I'll hit everyone up.

Chaos17

Wait, wouldn't Ann be canon? I thought Lovers links were usually the canon choice?

Ya'll are killing me the Makoto stuff. Is it actually not worth romancing her or is it something else putting you off?

Makoto S-link make her canon, lol
But I prefer the shogi girl, tho.

You know you can fast travel to the beginning from save spots and end of sections right?
I was not in a safe spot but I just learned that you can fast travel outside of safe room too, lol
So I just teleported my way up until I met a safe room.

zulux21

Despite the core of the Persona 5 creative team having shifted to a whole different studio and project?

I think atlus will find some way to make it happen.

they have been building up the persona brand for the last couple years (rereleasing the older games, making anime, and spin offs ect) in order to try to make it so more people know the persona franchise.

I can't imagine another 8-9 year game between releases especially given how well persona 5 is doing sales wise. 4-5 years seems like the max they would want to do.

that being said we could get something that is persona spin off that could easily be persona 6 if they went in a different direction. like perhaps a real time combat game more in the vein of devil summoner. they just don't title it persona 6 as they leave the numbered ones for turn based ones *shrugs*

it's kind of weird thinking about a spin off series getting spin off main series to test mechanics ect.

Just give us ANY age female protagonist, please.

Edit:

Even if PS5 was that close you know ATLUS would still put it out on PS4.

I never said they wouldn't. I would fully expect them to release it on the ps4 much like they did persona 2 on the ps2.

and hands down the ps5 should be 2020. as it lines up with every expectation of the generation as well as puts the pro at the exact half way point of the console life.

So uh, for the Flu season in Mementos on November.

I tried that exploit and I think I might've just trivialized the game. I'll just set it to Hard or Merciless then lol.

Despite the core of the Persona 5 creative team having shifted to a whole different studio and project?

Atlus just stated that Persona is their most important series. No way they let it last that long without another title. P6 after the new fantasy game would be like a 10+ year wait given it will straddle another generation or two.

Hashino probably wanted a break anyway so P6 will almost certainly helmed by another director. Someone in the Media Create thread the other day pointed out that Meguro has been given a new title as overseeing music for the whole company or something (ie he isn't confined to a single team) so no reason he won't be involved in a prospective P6.

I would put money that we see P6 before the Fantasy title releases.

FluxWaveZ

If we follow the Jojo pattern P6 should have a female protagonist and P7 will be a road trip :p

Persona 5 was supposed to be a backpacking adventure, after all, before the earthquake happened and Hashino changed his mind. He's said he's pretty much bringing that concept to Re Fantasy, though, so who knows what that means to it being revisited for Persona.

Atlus just stated that Persona is their most important series. No way they let it last that long without another title. P6 after the new fantasy game would be like a 10+ year wait given it will straddle another generation or two.

Hashino probably wanted a break anyway so P6 will almost certainly helmed by another director. Someone in the Media Create thread the other day pointed out that Meguro has been given a new title as overseeing music for the whole company or something (ie he isn't confined to a single team) so no reason he won't be involved in a prospective P6.

I would put money that we see P6 before the Fantasy title releases.

I would take that bet and win, because there is a 0% chance of us seeing Persona 6 before Re Fantasy is realized. If we see P6 anytime soon, Hashino and Soejima most likely wouldn't be involved, and that in itself is worrying. The new title you're talking about was in the wake of the Studio Zero announcement, where Soejima is now part of the "Atlus Artwork Team" and Meguro is part of the "Atlus Sound Team."

Hiraoka did state that Persona remains their most important series moving forward to GNN Gamer. We'll be seeing spin-offs and remakes in the near future. But Persona 6? What that will be and when is a big mystery.

nOoblet16

I'd like to see them tackle the working adult life one day. Would be a nice change of pace from school schenanigans.
Working adult life might be a bit too far, you don't have the same sort of social environment that Persona thrives on in a working environment and it might end up being boring.

What would definitely work is university life, it basically means you can have the same social shenanigans and the gimmicks like lectures and exams but also make for a really good setting for more mature storytelling. The thing about Persona 5 is that it's already quite mature and even the teenage character interactions are not really that "high schooly".

Lunar15

Question is, does the spinoff team become the A-Team of P-Studio and work on P6? Or is this a Catherine situation where the "big 3" get to work on a project of their own choosing while the B-Team makes spinoffs, eventually returning to make P6 somewhere down the road?

On Adult vs. Teen Life: P5 is probably as close as you're going to get. The school emphasis is totally downplayed, and almost all of the social links are with Adults this time around. There's such little focus on school life and more on just general city life that I think it's scratching the itch. Also, the dungeons are less about teen-life issues and more about crimes and problems you read about in the newspaper.

In a way, they managed to convey an older viewpoint while still not moving away from their "School-Battle-Friends" philosophy.

nOoblet16

Persona 5 was supposed to be a backpacking adventure, after all, before the earthquake happened and Hashino changed his mind. He's said he's pretty much bringing that concept to Re Fantasy, though, so who knows what that means to it being revisited for Persona.

I would take that bet and win, because there is a 0% chance of us seeing Persona 6 before Re Fantasy is realized. If we see P6 anytime soon, Hashino and Soejima most likely wouldn't be involved, and that in itself is worrying. The new title you're talking about was in the wake of the Studio Zero announcement, where Soejima is now part of the "Atlus Artwork Team" and Meguro is part of the "Atlus Sound Team."

Hiraoka did state that Persona remains their most important series moving forward to GNN Gamer. We'll be seeing spin-offs and remakes in the near future. But Persona 6? What that will be and when is a big mystery.
What does "re fantasy" even mean ?
Oh wait re fantasy is their project name...The way you wrote it made me think they will bring a concept called re fantasy to persona in future.

zulux21

Working adult life might be a bit too far, you don't have the same sort of social environment that Persona thrives on in a working environment and it might end up being boring.

What would definitely work is university life, it basically means you can have the same social shenanigans and the gimmicks like lectures and exams but also make for a really good setting for more mature storytelling. The thing about Persona 5 is that it's already quite mature and even the teenage character interactions are not really that "high schooly".

yeah I was actually hoping this one would be a university setting.
i can't ever see them going beyond that though, at least not officially in a persona main series game.

they could attempt a spin off though, but it would require them to do a lot of reworking of their time management stuff.

Finished the first palace today, one day before the deadline was over. The day of the deadline was also the day of the lottery, so I showed them my ticket and won 100.000 yen. Is it pre-deternment if and what you win on that day or did I really luck out? Before this I barely had enough money to buy a couple of health items.

Speaking of health items...there are all these different food items that restore like 10 or 20 HP each. Is there any real use for those? Doesn't seem like much. There are just so many food items I don't know where to start and if I even should.

aravuus

The text message convo with
Death
pre-rank 10 is so exceedingly flirty that I couldn't help giggling a bit at it lol. It was great.

Can't remember how explicit these were in the earlier games, but they certainly didn't leave much up to interpretation when it came to the end of her SLink either. It was pretty much just "oh we're all alone here? Let's fuck then".

Okay so I have a question. Mementos/Strength Confident spoilers. 11/5

I'm trying to do the final Fusion request for the twins, and trying to find a high counter. I looked online and it said I could get a skill card that has high counter as a reward for the quest " The Killer Laughs in the Garbage Can" that they say you get on 10/14. But I don't have this quest, I have a quest called "The Killer who cleans up Trash" which I think I got on the 14th? Are these the same mission?

Xeteh

The text message convo with
Death
pre-rank 10 is so exceedingly flirty that I couldn't help giggling a bit at it lol. It was great.

Can't remember how explicit these were in the earlier games, but they certainly didn't leave much up to interpretation when it came to the end of her SLink either. It was pretty much just "oh we're all alone here? Let's fuck then".

Elizabeth was pretty into the protag of 3.

Okay so I have a question. Mementos/Strength Confident spoilers. 11/5

I'm trying to do the final Fusion request for the twins, and trying to find a high counter. I looked online and it said I could get a skill card that has high counter as a reward for the quest " The Killer Laughs in the Garbage Can" that they say you get on 10/14. But I don't have this quest, I have a quest called "The Killer who cleans up Trash" which I think I got on the 14th? Are these the same mission?

yes

I would take that bet and win, because there is a 0% chance of us seeing Persona 6 before Re Fantasy is realized.

Why? The Persona gameplay and formula is well established and they now have a mature technology base to build from. It would be much easier to iterate and make a new game with very similar gameplay (a la the relatively quick turnaround for P4) than create an entire new IP from the ground up.

Maybe they hedge and make it P5:Subtitle (a la SMT4:A) but I think we will get a full fledged complete Persona game in the next few years even if it means a lot of new creative talent involved.
] If we see P6 anytime soon, Hashino and Soejima most likely wouldn't be involved, and that in itself is worrying.

Yes, this is what I'm saying. And of course it's concerning but any good company has to have well managed talent and that includes knowing when to let existing creatives spread their wings to new IPs while you turn over the reigns to someone else. Atlus has historically done a good job at this so I'm not ready to hit the panic button.

The new title you're talking about was in the wake of the Studio Zero announcement, where Soejima is now part of the "Atlus Artwork Team" and Meguro is part of the "Atlus Sound Team."

Ah, that's it. I think on some level Meguro and Soejima are involved in P6 even if it means that they get assists from others.

I just dont' see them ignorine 1.5 million in worldwide sales and growing by concentrating exclusively on spinoffs. The spinoffs will happen but I think we see P6 before the PS4 is dead in Japan.

Chase17

September

So the school just funded a five day Hawaii vacation. Awfully nice of them. Although I guess Yusuke's school did too so maybe that's a thing. (Though they were going LA)

FluxWaveZ

Yes, this is what I'm saying. And of course it's concerning but any good company has to have well managed talent and that includes knowing when to let existing creatives spread their wings to new IPs while you turn over the reigns to someone else. Atlus has historically done a good job at this so I'm not ready to hit the panic button.

Well, this would be the main reason why I don't think Persona 6 would have as quick of a turnaround as you think. The creative talent behind the series up to this point has been extremely vital to its current level of success. Despite the engine and assets that would be ready to go for a sequel, they can't just take anyone to replace Hashino. They can't just forge ahead with Soejima and Meguro having it as their main focus now that they're involved with other prominent works.

They might have made a plan back in Q4 2016 in terms of how to proceed, once the game went gold in May 2016, but they must be aware that a Persona 6 would need to reach a certain threshold of quality for the series to maintain its momentum. And with new people at the head of it, and the old team mainly having gone to Studio Zero (and when I say this, I don't mean just Hashino, Soejima and Meguro, but a large amount of the creative leads behind P5 having followed Hashino), it's not smooth sailing, for sure.

dan2026

So why is it Futaba gives herself the code name '
Navi
' as in presumably short for
navigation

And yet the English text calls her
Oracle

What the fuck is up with that?

FluxWaveZ

Navi
navigation

Oracle

Because it's about 100x cooler in English? And that the English version means pretty much the same thing, but with flourish and grandiosity that perfectly fits the character.

Only thing I'm confused about is why no one brought up
Alibaba
in that scene.

Nose Master

Mementos / S. Link mechanic spoilers:
What in the world is the point of auto capturing Personas if you can't change out with new ones when you're full?

Navi
navigation

Oracle

In my mind it's a Serial Experiments Lain joke that the localization team turned into a Batman joke. The latter part is probably true in reality though

They might have made a plan back in Q4 2016 in terms of how to proceed, once the game went gold in May 2016, but they must be aware that a Persona 6 would need to reach a certain threshold of quality for the series to maintain its momentum. And with new people at the head of it, and the old team mainly having gone to Studio Zero (and when I say this, I don't mean just Hashino, Soejima and Meguro, but a large amount of the creative leads behind P5 having followed Hashino), it's not smooth sailing, for sure.

I just don't think any business can ignore the guaranteed money on the table. Development realities have changed too much. If Hashino can't move onto to P6 until RE:Fantasy is done then you are basically looking at 8+ years until the next Persona mainline title. The franchise survived that once but I don't know that they are keen to do that again, especially after the delays with P5. And it could frankly be even longer because dev times are just getting longer.

If I'm the head of Atlus and Hashino comes to me with the pitch for RE:Fantasy by answer is "Wow, this looks great. Would love to put you on this. Provided, of course, you have have a succession plan in place so we can leave P6 in capable hands. Otherwise we need you to focus on getting P6 out before another console generation switches."

I mean this is the same company that used SMT3's demon models for how many follow up games? Turned around a quick sequel to SMT4 using lots of existing assets. The same company that has 2/3 of their 2017 lineup being filled with ports of DS games. They don't leave money on the table and they don't let assets die on the vine.

Kuro

Should I spend time with everyone coming over one at a time the final week of July when
I have a calling card to send?
People just keep showing up.

So, do ALL confidants
require a max stat in something? That's brutal.
Only 5 of them I believe. Here they are:

Max charm
-
Priestess (Makoto)
Max knowledge
-
Star (Hifumi)
Max guts
-
Hanged (Iwai)
Max proficiency
-
Empress (Haru)
Max kindness
-
Hierophant (Sojiro)

Well, this would be the main reason why I don't think Persona 6 would have as quick of a turnaround as you think. The creative talent behind the series up to this point has been extremely vital to its current level of success. Despite the engine and assets that would be ready to go for a sequel, they can't just take anyone to replace Hashino. They can't just forge ahead with Soejima and Meguro having it as their main focus now that they're involved with other prominent works.

Mainline SMT survived after Hashino stopped working on it, same goes for Devil Summoner, Persona will be fine without him too. Is he currently the best director at Atlus? Yes, he is but at some point new talent has to come in and take over and hand the reigns over. Hashino's career basically went like this:
SMT series Planner->Devil Summoner series planner->Maken X director->SMT3 director->Digital Devil Saga director->Persona series director->Catherine director->Back to Persona directing duties and now he wants to make something new. Think he's quite happy let somebody else make Persona 6 on the interim and he might have been training somebody up in the P-Studio team for all we know for when this would happen.

Remember, Koji Okada used to be the creator of Persona and SMT and he handed the reigns of both series over to Hashino, no doubt Hashino will have done the same. I seriously doubt Atlus will let Persona fall into purgatory until Hashino finishes directing his new IP. It's too successful for that. Atlus has plenty of talent to utilise. Persona 5 only too kas long as it did thanks to the owners changing and move to new console.

FluxWaveZ

If I'm the head of Atlus and Hashino comes to me with the pitch for RE:Fantasy by answer is "Wow, this looks great. Would love to put you on this. Provided, of course, you have have a succession plan in place so we can leave P6 in capable hands. Otherwise we need you to focus on getting P6 out before another console generation switches."

This could be the case but, if it is, Hashino's certainly been quiet about it in his interviews. He even said he considered leaving Atlus after P5 was done to focus on his own thing, which tied into Atlus basically giving him his own internal studio within the company to do what he wants.

There is no question—given P5's success and the amount of work that went behind the title—that Atlus would want a P6 out sooner than later. Reusing assets, the engine, etc. But this isn't Assassin's Creed. The peak of P5's development team was 77 people. And the reason the games have found success is their quality. It's not a simple thing to push out a GotY contender with that few people, in that timeframe, considering the scope we're talking about. Persona 5 is on a whole different level of effort compared to P4, and a P6 would follow suit unless, again, the quality would find itself hindered by the amount of recycling and rushing they'd have to do.

Mainline SMT survived after Hashino stopped working on it, same goes for Devil Summoner, Persona will be fine without him too. Is he currently the best director at Atlus? Yes, he is but at some point new talent has to come in and take over and hand the reigns over. Hashino's career basically went like this:
SMT series Planner->Devil Summoner series planner->Maken X director->SMT3 director->Digital Devil Saga director->Persona series director->Catherine director->Back to Persona directing duties and now he wants to make something new. Think he's quite happy let somebody else make Persona 6 on the interim and he might have been training somebody up in the P-Studio team for all we know for when this would happen.

Remember, Koji Okada used to be the creator of Persona and SMT and he handed the reigns of both series over to Hashino, no doubt Hashino will have done the same. I seriously doubt Atlus will let Persona fall into purgatory until Hashino finishes directing his new IP. It's too successful for that.

Yes, but we're also talking a 10-year gap between Nocturne and what they would be okay with labeling as "SMT IV," under that shift in leadership. A Persona 6 could end up being totally fine with a different creative team. Knowing Atlus, it most likely would be. But the debate is about a P6 coming within the period of 3 years, where the time for a new creative team to acclimate themselves and decide how they would tackle a new game would be limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom