• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who played other SMT games: P5's negotiations are about the most sensible ones to ever appear in this series.

Yeah, I've failed like 2 negotiations in my 35 hours. They rarely ever ask for money or items and you only have to get one good reaction and scared reaction at worst to obtain them? It's a cake walk.

Jiraiza

It was implied that he went beyond his usual sexual harassment on that day, which is why Shiho jumped from the roof right after that. Also Kamoshida ruined quite a few lives, and if I recall correctly he doesn't apologize directly to Mishima either. Kamoshida's entire confession would have probably taken a couple of hours.

Well, okay, guess that flew right over my head.
That said, continued sexual abuse can be a big of a reason for attempts at suicide as much as rape, so I find that reasoning a little bit odd.

I'll correct myself and say Ryuji was the second biggest victim after Shiho, then. Either way, no mention of Ryuji still bothers the shit out of me.

Ydelnae

I've noticed that sometimes they even recycle the same lines from recent scenes in those IM message bombing moments you get everytime you come back to the LeBlanc.

Alucrid

Banned
need some help finding the last two treasure demons

hope diamond and crystal skull. what floors do they appear in mementos? i tried farming them in the last dungeon but even with 99% i never got a reinforce with any treasure demons.

Chaos17

2/11
Did I just discovered a new S-link ?
Nooooooooooooooo

Is this why I'm having a hard time upping his S-link? Seems like every time he's available I can't get him past the third stage.
He is really slow to upgrade but after 4, he is locked behind story (chapter 4).

Jiraiza

Futaba skills are really cool, so worth to do her S-link + her side story is tied with Sojiro.

Are there other social links that tie in with other characters? The thing I hate the most about social link type systems is that they're too isolated from the rest of the game.

I thought there was only
sexual abuse
, not
actual rape
. Did I miss something?

Maybe I shouldn't have said it in absolute terms, but Ryuji was as big of a victim as much as Shiho was.
Still makes no sense why Ryuji didn't get a single mention in the confession.

Kamoshida literally says that
because Ann wouldn't sleep with him, he had Shiho take her place. It fucks Shiho up so much that she tries to kill herself the day after it happens.
It's not like we're talking quantum physics here. If you REALLY think that
a broken leg and a few spoiled friendships
is in any way comparable to what Shiho went through, I really don't know what to say. I honestly find it morally repulsive to put them anywhere near the same level of suffering.

Seriously, I mean, what did you want him to say?
"Yeah, I raped Shiho and held her future hostage to try to get Ann to sleep with me, and I totally grabbed a bunch of other puss Donald Trump style, but the person I REALLY need to apologize to is Ryuji for that time I broke his leg. Sorry man, that really was my low point."
Come on, man. What Ryuji went through literally pales in comparison. Shiho had to fucking
change schools
because of something that happened to her. Ryuji only lost
the track team
because of something he did himself. (Not at all saying it was justified or that he deserved it, but there was still the element of choice and agency behind his action, whereas Shiho wasn't afforded the same.)

PK Gaming

"Let's get back to the incidents where people are having psychotic breakdowns--"
"My cat never lets me have a night life"

C9MC3RCVoAEx8vT.jpg
C9MC4ECVoAA19Jd.jpg

source

Are there other social links that tie in with other characters? The thing I hate the most about social link type systems is that they're too isolated from the rest of the game.

Well the whole framing device of you being interrogated by the
sister
of a party member should count I think. Her reactions once you get to the parts of the story involving
Makoto
are pretty great.

chrono01

Yeah, if you're willing to dedicate the time to it don't bother spending your first time playing through the game following a step by step guide, just spend time with the characters you want. Nothing is really missable as far as items go aside from chests you don't open when you finish a story dungeon, you can't go back for those afterwards but they don't matter much at all.

Yeah, there's NG+. Your social stats, personas, equipment and money carry over.

Your time should be spent doing something that will benefit you in some way, be it raising social stats (which seem more important this game than previous entries), Confidant links or the dungeon crawling. Ideally you want to finish a story dungeon in as few days as possible so you have more time to dedicate to the social stuff.
Thanks, I appreciate your time in making this post! :)

I'll take your advice and just enjoy myself my first time through. I feel if I use a guide to micro-manage all of the side-stuff, I'll probably end up liking the game less than if I just played it blind. I'm sure I'll want to replay it again anyway, so I'll use that time to gather all of the stuff I skipped over in my initial play-through.

I guess there's nothing else to do but jump in! It's been a long time coming and, from what I've read so far, the game more than measures up. Can't wait.

dan2026

I don't understand how this game can look amazing in some scenes and rough as hell in others.

The presentation quality is all over the place.

Is this why I'm having a hard time upping his S-link? Seems like every time he's available I can't get him past the third stage.

Don't bother with Sojiro's SL until you get that character. You could use that time to raise your stats because other SLs require level 4 charm and what not.

Well, it'd have to drop the whole Phantom Thief thing. A return to the setting and characters is still possible without all of that.
Don't know about a sequel, but I wouldn't mind revisiting the game in an expanded edition like in FES. So many possible additions: new confidants, new personas, new dungeons, rebalanced confidant rewards and requirements (there's been a few complaints in this thread about how social links for
new party members open up only after the dungeon you recuit them, which means you can't use them for Baton Pass
, they could change this)

Jiraiza

Seriously, I mean, what did you want him to say?
Yeah, I raped Shiho and held her future hostage to try to get Ann to sleep with me, and I totally grabbed a bunch of other puss Donald Trump style, but the person I REALLY need to apologize to is Ryuji for that time I broke his leg. Sorry man, that really was my low point."
Come on, man. What Ryuji went through literally pales in comparison. Shiho had to fucking
change schools
because of something that happened to her. Ryuji only lost
the track team
because of something he did himself. (Not at all saying it was justified or that he deserved it, but there was still the element of choice and agency behind his action, whereas Shiho wasn't afforded the same.)

You make it sound like I want him to just handwave off what he did to Shiho. I'm saying that Ryuji should've been mentioned AS well, not just ignored entirely. He's part of the main cast, for fuck's sake. This is more of a problem with the writing than anything else.

And I corrected myself with the Ryuji being the biggest victim if you hadn't seen the post already, so calm down.

Chaos17

I don't know yet because I just began Futaba. It's just both interact with each other and deepen each other character back story.
I advice anyone who want to do them to max your kindness because both ask you that stat to pursue them.

Setsu00

Well, okay, guess that flew right over my head.
That said, continued sexual abuse can be a big of a reason for attempts at suicide as much as rape, so I find that reasoning a little bit odd.

I'll correct myself and say Ryuji was the second biggest victim after Shiho, then. Either way, no mention of Ryuji still bothers the shit out of me.
Yeah, but the "special abuse" on that day seemed to have been her breaking point. That may even tie into that whole "You're not diserable if you're no longer a virgin" angle that's especially prevalent in Japan. Shiho was always an outsider and that probably cemented for her that her status would never change. There are some characters in the game that make a lot more sense when you consider the setting, Kaneshiro is another big offender.

"Let's get back to the incidents where people are having psychotic breakdowns--"
"My cat never lets me have a night life"

I don't know what I'd do if I was Sae and had to listen to around 70 hours of teenage hijinks in Tokyo.

Xeteh

Thanks, I appreciate your time in making this post! :)

I'll take your advice and just enjoy myself my first time through. I feel if I use a guide to micro-manage all of the side-stuff, I'll probably end up liking the game less than if I just played it blind. I'm sure I'll want to replay it again anyway, so I'll use that time to gather all of the stuff I skipped over in my initial play-through.

I guess there's nothing else to do but jump in! It's been a long time coming and, from what I've read so far, the game more than measures up. Can't wait.

No problem.

And yeah, if you think you'll be down for a second playthrough then absolutely don't bother with a guide for your first run. Just do your own thing and have fun, all the serious guide following can take place in the second run.

Feel free to ask questions, people are always in here answering.

didn't see these meme, can you post them or link them? thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUWQFnC2zqU

chrono01

No problem.

And yeah, if you think you'll be down for a second playthrough then absolutely don't bother with a guide for your first run. Just do your own thing and have fun, all the serious guide following can take place in the second run.

Feel free to ask questions, people are always in here answering.
Will do!

My second run probably won't happen right away (too any games in my backlog right now, I STILL haven't touched Breath of the Wild :/), but eventually? Oh yes, I definitely will.

Jiraiza

I don't know yet because I just began Futaba. It's just both interact with each other and deepen each other character back story.
I advice anyone who want to do them to max your kindness because both ask you that stat to pursue them.

Well shoot, my kindness stat is the lowest right now.

Yeah, but the "special abuse" on that day seemed to have been her breaking point. That may even tie into that whole "You're not diserable if you're no longer a virgin" angle that's especially prevalent in Japan. Shiho was always an outsider and that probably cemented for her that her status would never change. There are some characters in the game that make a lot more sense when you consider the setting, Kaneshiro is another big offender.

Makes sense why she would
move
somewhere else.

You make it sound like I want him to just handwave off what he did to Shiho. I'm saying that Ryuji should've been mentioned AS well, not just ignored entirely. He's part of the main cast, for fuck's sake. This is more of a problem with the writing than anything else.

And I corrected myself with the Ryuji being the biggest victim if you hadn't seen the post already, so calm down.

Yeah, maybe don't tell me to calm down there, boss.

What I'm saying is that elevating
a physical beating
to the same level as a
sexual assault
completely undercuts everything that arc was trying to do. A lot of the stuff surrounding Shuyin in general has to do with how women get taken advantage of by men who hold power over them.
Frankly put, Ryuji just didn't deserve a place in that apology. Not saying he never should have gotten one -- there very well could have been a separate scene where Kamoshida apologized to both Ryuji and Mishima (and hell the entire volleyball and track team) -- but thematically it's just not important.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, maybe don't tell me to calm down there, boss.

What I'm saying is that elevating
a physical beating
to the same level as a
sexual assault
completely undercuts everything that arc was trying to do. A lot of the stuff surrounding Shuyin in general has to do with how women get taken advantage of by men who hold power over them.
Frankly put, Ryuji just didn't deserve a place in that apology. Not saying he never should have gotten one -- there very well could have been a separate scene where Kamoshida apologized to both Ryuji and Mishima (and hell the entire volleyball and track team) -- but thematically it's just not important.
I'm not saying you're wrong about the reprehensible nature of what
Kamoshida did to Shiho
, but I think you are severely downplaying what happened to Ryuji.
His life was pretty much ruined. Sure, he wasn't sexually assaulted but he was still emotionally and physically abused, with his mom, the person he really cares about, losing faith in him after what Kamoshida provoked him into doing. Sports were all he had, since he is not very smart in a society that greatly values test scores and intelligence, so his future was robbed as well. Kamoshida's reaction to Ryuji's violence was very over the top, too, much more than it needed to be
. Saying it's not as bad as what happened to
Shiho
is one thing, because it's not. But comparing suffering, and especially downplaying the suffering of one person compared to another, is never a constructive thing to do.
Kamoshida ruined both of their lives

Can we talk about Ann being the most disappointing character, though? Her awakening was great and so far it feels like she has only stuck with the group in order to have some fanservice during the anime scenes.

Would have easily traded Iwai, Hifumi or Nishima as party members for her. The should have pulled a Zestiriagate on her.

God, if Iwai and Takemi were members of your party, this game would have been perfect.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God damn. Choosing a girl to romance is the most crippling decision I've ever made in a game.

Opa-Pa

It just hit me that Yusuke totally comes off as autistic. I doubt it was the writers' intention but that's still pretty awesome, I love him.

Kamoshida did to Shiho
His life was pretty much ruined. Sure, he wasn't sexually assaulted but he was still emotionally and physically abused, with his mom, the person he really cares about, losing faith in him after what Kamoshida provoked him into doing. Sports were all he had, since he is not very smart in a society that greatly values test scores and intelligence, so his future was robbed as well. Kamoshida's reaction to Ryuji's violence was very over the top, too, much more than it needed to be
Shiho
is one thing, because it's not. But comparing suffering, and especially downplaying the suffering of one person compared to another, is never a constructive thing to do.

Yeah I don't think those are comparable, but there's no denying Ryuji had it rough. His only sort of escapism was taken away from him, was injured, humiliated, branded as a criminal in the eyes of everyone in his school including teachers and has nearly no chance to ever rebuild his life. And even after the asshole who made all that happened has been called out, his situation doesn't change.

God damn. Choosing a girl to romance is the most crippling decision I've ever made in a game.

just be an asshole, date them all, you already stole their hearts.... but choosing? eh, too much work! let's keep thing simple, haha

If it was persona 2, they definitely would be! that would be great yeah!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I still need Adultsona 5: Adventures of Sae, Iwai and Takemi. I will pine for it until the day I die
or at least for a few years

Kamoshida did to Shiho
Shiho

I'm only downplaying it because I don't know how his story ends yet. I'm only at the third palace and I think rank 4 or 5 in his S Link, so I don't know if
the track team gets back together or something. The thing with Ryuji is that, with Kamoshida now disgraced, Ryuji's life is easily fixable. He could conceivably join a new team and rebuild those relationships. His leg is healed and he's plenty competent in the Metaverse; he has options open to him. Shiho can't un-rape herself.

God, if Iwai and Takemi were members of your party, this game would have been perfect.

There are..Valid..Reasons to want her in party. Just not that many. The main one being a dedicated healer who doesn't mind you staying up at night

It just hit me that Yusuke totally comes off as autistic. I doubt it was the writers' intention but that's still pretty awesome, I love him.

Does he? I didn't read it that way, but it's cool if people are getting that from him. I also went to art school though, so I definitely know his type, and love him for it. I really enjoy that he's a "soft boy" type without any conjuncture or over pronunciation of it or constant speculation of his sexuality. He's just not about that toxic masculinity. He's also really kooky and randomly is your best damage dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom