• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Espada

I will be putting Null Brainwash on my healers after what happened last night in
Palace 7
. That shit doubled the length of an otherwise easy fight. Not as bad as Yukari using Diarahan on P3's final boss when it was nearly dead. I didn't touch the game for a month after that.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I've now hit 100 hours into the game and I still feel like I have a lot more to do. It's amazing, but I will admit my enjoyment started to wane around Palace 5 as you're already too used to the motions by then, but a few days away helped a lot and the game is picking up well anyway.

I've now maxed out the Strength arcana and uh oh I cannot help myself spending all my money on this. This led into a spiral of grinding and managing Personas and now I'm about 20 levels higher than I should be. I am hopeless!

There's also no way I'll be able to finish even half of these social links with the time I have left, but I was expecting a second play-through and a few of the characters have really lost me so it doesn't bother me—
Ryuji and Ann especially.

Oh, and the hardest boss in the game so far is easily
the guardian fish and that Famicom fighting game that barely registered my inputs.

daveo42

Banned
Palace 7 Boss:
That was quite an interesting fight with the shifts in abilities and resistances. Also super crazy that his awakened shadow first used the people...then kind of looking like the senator from Revengence.

12/9:
Flu days are broken with how easy it is to take down the Reaper. Too bad the payout isn't that great.

I'll never get the complaints that that story arc/Palace 5. It's not even long. Palace 3 is about twice as long, and is much bullshittier.

Yeah, I thought Palace 5 was completely fine.
I was worried about the timers, but the game gives you a lot of extra time. Plus, the air locks were a lot of fun.
I easily cleared it in a day. 3 is the only Palace I hated. Well, that and the
dark maze
in Palace 6.

Uthred

The really weird bit is how inconsistent it is
parts like the principal's death is really well done, eerie and adds a ton to the story. Then people start to guess that the Phantom Thieves are the killers. Not a single party member thinks to even put out a statement through the Phan Site? Really?

You can raise this objection for nearly every single point after the first or second case. The fact that they never address directly communicating with the public is an issue for the majority of the game, I'm not advocating one way or the other as there's pitfalls to speaking up and staying silent, but the principals death is hardly the first time theyre "accused" by the public of something shady.

Ultimadrago

parts like the principal's death is really well done, eerie and adds a ton to the story. Then people start to guess that the Phantom Thieves are the killers. Not a single party member thinks to even put out a statement through the Phan Site? Really?

And don't get me started on how nothing Okumura is. I'm guessing that it's intentional, but this character is nothing, oh no, he's a rich business owner who exploits others. I'd probably care if Haru was introduced before like, a week ago outside of one cutscene. It would have been way more poignant if we knew anything about her life,
or she was a party member before hand

Sending an official statement would likely make matters worse and would unnecessarily increase pressure on Mishima, who actually runs the site.

I agree with this. Haru doesn't really have time to gain an introduction for herself aside her father being a successful CEO and arranged marriage (with a required douche). Throughout all of this, she does somewhat gain models to rebel against, but none of the traction like Anne or Makoto or Futaba or Yusuke.

Just give me confuse boost for fucks sake. Why is acquiring skill locked behind rng?

It's your way in for feeding skills rather than breeding them, which is a great improvement from Persona 4 Vanilla where you had to breed them and it was somewhat based on RNG. Here you are "rewarded" with breeding by being able to send off almost any move, where as if you simply feed via Gallows [ala. The Easy Way], it's RNG. I'm not saying it's a great thing in itself, but an improvement.

daveo42

Banned
Yeah, I thought Palace 5 was completely fine.
I was worried about the timers, but the game gives you a lot of extra time. Plus, the air locks were a lot of fun.
I easily cleared it in a day. 3 is the only Palace I hated. Well, that and the
dark maze
in Palace 6.

The dark maze
in Palace 6 was a nice change. The whole of 6 was good in that each section felt somewhat different.
It was also nice to give you thief vision another use as opposed to just scoping out items or power levels.
The only thing I'd rag on is the Palace 7
mice sections as they are far too numerous and take up far to much time between each letter.
That there is actually the worst part of all the dungeons thus far.

Nioret

Can someone explain to me what the hell is up with all the red eyes in this game? Is there a casual vampire race in japan I dont know about?

It's your way in for feeding skills rather than breeding them, which is a great improvement from Persona 4 Vanilla where you had to breed them and it was somewhat based on RNG. Here you are "rewarded" with breeding by being able to send off almost any move, where as if you simply feed via Gallows [ala. The Easy Way], it's RNG. I'm not saying it's a great thing in itself, but an improvement.
I wish it was dropped from RPGs. It gets so frustrating when after the 10th time the game refuses to cycle through the list of skills and just give repeats.

Thud

I'm giving in and doing a NG+ playthrough to mop up missed trophies - a few questions:

1. When do new drinks appear at the vendors?
2. How annoying is the fishing trophy?
3. Is there a specific date when the video game console shows up?
4. I understand you need to do all the "side activities" to unlock all the books? I got the homerun trophy my second attempt in regular NG but I'll need to do it at least once in this playthrough to unlock the book?

Fish during torrential rain in the summer. Way easier than the Inaba Guardian.

Setsu00

You can raise this objection for nearly every single point after the first or second case. The fact that they never address directly communicating with the public is an issue for the majority of the game, I'm not advocating one way or the other as there's pitfalls to speaking up and staying silent, but the principals death is hardly the first time theyre "accused" by the public of something shady.

Why would anyone believe them, though? Unless they reveal their identities and demonstrate their powers there is no way anybody would believe that they're telling the truth.

Aenima

Its just a Phan-Site/ forum.
If i was being doing Phantom Thievery and had the police on my tail, i for sure would not use any site to make any public statments as it could be easely be tracked to the owner IP and everyone getting busted.

Secured a treasure route in palace 6, the music and atmosphere were great but the overall palace was ass....all the
coin grinding was awful
wasn't hard but was just so boring.

A.J.

Banned

And don't get me started on how nothing Okumura is. I'm guessing that it's intentional, but this character is nothing, oh no, he's a rich business owner who exploits others. I'd probably care if Haru was introduced before like, a week ago outside of one cutscene. It would have been way more poignant if we knew anything about her life,

The Phansite is a fansite. I doubt they would want to show they are connected to something that is so easily trackable. Especially since the site owner loves to jack off about it at nearly every opportunity.

Rarius

Its just a Phan-Site/ forum.
If i was being doing Phantom Thievery and had the police on my tail, i for sure would not use any site to make any public statments as it could be easely be tracked to the owner IP and everyone getting busted.

Futaba is a world renowned hacker. There is no way she would be tracked if she put up a statement

nOoblet16

Fish during torrential rain in the summer. Way easier than the Inaba Guardian.
I still don't have the fish spot unlocked despite being rank 10 with Ryuji (doesn't he take you there?).

The other thing I am seeing is that eventhiugh I am rank 10 with Ann, Istar is still not showing up in fusion list for me.

Dolobill

I'm about to finish the 4th palace now but I'm starting to get bored with the game (it's my first in the series). It's starting to feel repetitive after understanding how all the events are laid out. Some of the social link dialogue is terrible
like Ann talking about "strengthening her heart" and shit? What.
. I'm this far in but even battles haven't evolved much beyond knocking everyone down and using the finisher. I'm just finding the game to not have as much depth as it first makes itself seem and the story has not gotten as interesting as I had hoped.

I still don't have the fish spot unlocked despite being rank 10 with Ryuji (doesn't he take you there?).

The other thing I am seeing is that eventhiugh I am rank 10 with Ann, Istar is still not showing up in fusion list for me.
There are a bunch of rank 10 personas I'm not seeing.

Jeb

I'll rephrase my earlier question.

Does dating more than one person drastically affects the true ending of the game?

I can deal with some deviations, or some minor changes to the outcome, but will I get a completely different outcome?

Don't get specific if there are spoilers, just tell me how big of a change it will be.

I have only recently started my second relationship and I don't mind continuing but would like to know the scale of the impact of this decision.

daveo42

Banned

There's also a book that unlocks the location. Ryuji invites you there
during summer break and unlocks if you accept.

Ultimadrago

There is a book called "Fishspotter" you can purchase which unlocks the location, if you haven't already gone with Ryuji. Ryuji, iirc, should ask you about early July.

Edit: Beaten Boyz

Aenima

Futaba is a world renowned hacker. There is no way she would be tracked if she put up a statement

She does put up a statment, but she does not use the fan site. She hacks the local tv station instead and broadcast live her message.

Ultimadrago

Does dating more than one person drastically affects the true ending of the game?

I can deal with some deviations, or some minor changes to the outcome, but will I get a completely different outcome?

Don't get specific if there are spoilers, just tell me how big of a change it will be.

I have only recently started my second relationship and I don't mind continuing but would like to know the scale of the impact of this decision.

No, not at all. You get one special Valentine's scene (which doesn't actually negatively affect the relationships) and have more options for the unique one-on-one scenes later on. A pimp out there may please correct me if this is wrong.

Rarius

I'm about to finish the 4th palace now but I'm starting to get bored with the game (it's my first in the series). It's starting to feel repetitive after understanding how all the events are laid out. Some of the social link dialogue is terrible
like Ann talking about "strengthening her heart" and shit? What.
. I'm this far in but even battles haven't evolved much beyond knocking everyone down and using the finisher. I'm just finding the game to not have as much depth as it first makes itself seem and the story has not gotten as interesting as I had hoped.

Ann's social link is fucking bizarre for like, the first half of it

Baalzebup

You're safe. Absolutely nothing major.

The fourth palace constantly reminded me of the Death Chamber from Sonic Adventure 2 of all places, kept expecting some cringe lyrics to drop into the background theme
"you damn right Ryuji"

This post palace period is oddly exhausting for a social link fest, I should probably have paced my dungeon business with so much time but I can't help but be compelled to just smash them out as soon as possible.

Kolx

I'm at the
6th
palace and I think I just read the identity of the person at the
7th
palace. FUCK this happened to me with P4G and it happens again now. Right when I was getting really excited with the story too :(

Ultimadrago

Secured a treasure route in palace 6, the music and atmosphere were great but the overall palace was ass....all the
coin grinding was awful

How many rooms did you grind? You only need the initial set (that's about given to you) and the walk-out scene's extra in order to afford the Giant Slot on the other side.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

You get a special item from your girlfriend, that you will not get if you are dating more than one girl.

nOoblet16

There's also a book that unlocks the location. Ryuji invites you there
during summer break and unlocks if you accept.
Had the summer break, no invite. He came over to mine only once and wanted to play video games so I decided to ignore him. I already had him ranked up to 10 before summer break.

Guess I'll just have to read that book to unlock it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Son of a bitch. Palace 6 is a minimum
days?

It sends you back when you get to the high limits floor, and I assume the calling card is still a seperate day
:/

Ultimadrago

You get a special item from your girlfriend, that you will not get if you are dating more than one girl.

Whoops! Thanks for adding that. I learn more about the Harem Route every day~

The fourth palace constantly reminded me of the Death Chamber from Sonic Adventure 2 of all places, kept expecting some cringe lyrics to drop into the background theme
"you damn right Ryuji"

This post palace period is oddly exhausting for a social link fest, I should probably have paced my dungeon business with so much time but I can't help but be compelled to just smash them out as soon as possible.

I never made that connection! *Hums Pyramid Cave*

Well, better to be safe than sorry! After a while, all the free time from a one-day dungeon completion/checkpoint gets heavy in its own right.

nOoblet16

coin grinding was awful
There is actually no grinding, if you do everything in order you'll have enough coins for everything including the items being sold.

Lusankya

I'm giving in and doing a NG+ playthrough to mop up missed trophies - a few questions:

1. When do new drinks appear at the vendors?
2. How annoying is the fishing trophy?
3. Is there a specific date when the video game console shows up?
4. I understand you need to do all the "side activities" to unlock all the books? I got the homerun trophy my second attempt in regular NG but I'll need to do it at least once in this playthrough to unlock the book?

1. Check back after each palace is done. Last one appears in November, just get all at once then. Btw. drinks you got from dungeons don't count, you need to buy them!
2. Not annoying. Read the fishing book and try to find the guardian on rainy days, it's the golden fish.
3. I think sometimes after the 5th palace
4. You only need to do a side activity once to unlock the corresponding book, no need for a home run.
There are books for fishing, gaming, batting, movie watching and working with flowers.

I do think the
Hawaii
part at least is intentional -
the whole point being that the gang is too focused on being the Phantom Thieves to actually enjoy themselves. The Morgana plot is definitely dumb, though. One of the palaces
after this is maybe a bit overlong, but otherwise I don't think anything else in the game is as rough as the part you're currently in.

About the various school/team events in the game:
I think the Persona team was intentionally trying to contrast them with the ones in Persona 4; all the events that are like "wow we'll cherish these wacky moments together forever" in P4 turn into "oh that was kind of a bummer actually" in P5. The fireworks festival is an obvious example.

About the early September event:
Hawaii in addition seems to have this theme of "it's supposed to be exotic but really it's just like Japan, what a disappointment." That might be a theme that resonates a lot more with Japanese people. I can't remember just how much of that has to do with the group being obsessed with Phantom Thieves stuff; there's that one event where the group's on the beach and trying to decide what to do, and then they all get on their phones and Ryuji's like "wait, we could be doing this in Japan, nothing's changed!" But I can't remember if they're on their phones because they're looking up news about the Phantom Thieves or if they're looking up fun things to do in Hawaii.

I agree with your assertion that
it's intentional. At that point in the story, I think the writers are trying to sow doubt about why the Phantom Thieves pick the targets they do, which comes to a head when Morgana pushes for the next attack against the judgement of some of the others.

AngryMoth

Just got to the start of palace 6, how much game do I have left? I won't have chance to play the game for a few months after sunday so desperately want to finish it this week.

Top Bottom