• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Baalzebup

You get a special item from your girlfriend, that you will not get if you are dating more than one girl.
Whoops! Thanks for adding that. I learn more about the Harem Route every day~
I don't think this is even true. The valentines scene with your sweetheart is entirely removed from the aftermath. I had multiple maxed out romances and still got a christmas present and the love-choco that carried over to NG+.

Zafir

That's the problem with quite a few of the dungeons though, it's not necessarily that they're hard, or anything. It's just that they drag.

5 and 7 being the worst for it, where they force you to complete the same gimmick/puzzle multiple times over to proceed.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Palace 6 is the best in the entire game. Come at me people.

That's the problem with quite a few of the dungeons though, it's not necessarily that they're hard, or anything. It's just that they drag.

5 and 7 being the worst for it, where they force you to complete the same gimmick/puzzle multiple times over to proceed.

The problem is doing them all in one shot. They are obviously designed to be done accross several days to prevent burnout. They should last us weeks, but we rush to do them in a day or two.

daveo42

Banned
Negotiation question:
Is there an easy way to tell if extortion (not colored red btw) will still cause the demon to backout instead of letting me either extort again or switch to an all out attack? Level difference or something else?

nOoblet16

I don't think this is even true. The valentines scene with your sweetheart is entirely removed from the aftermath. I had multiple maxed out romances and still got a christmas present and the love-choco that carried over to NG+.
No it's true.
You spend time with one and then after you do the ones you didn't spend time with come for blood. You then don't get the special items that you would have if you were with only one person

Zafir

The problem is doing them all in one shot. They are obviously designed to be done accross several days to prevent burnout. They should last us weeks, but we rush to do them in a day or two.

Please.

Reusing the same puzzle over and over is just bad design. Doing the dungeon over multiple trips only masks that fact.

I never made that connection! *Hums Pyramid Cave*

Well, better to be safe than sorry! After a while, all the free time from a one-day dungeon completion/checkpoint gets heavy in its own right.

Hah, dungeon 4 reminded me of Sonic Adventure 2 as well. :p
Good to know I'm not alone in this mad connection.

goddammit owl

Xtortionist, what are you doin' here?
I heard you were on a quest to find the Palace Treasure
You know me and you don't get along
I don't think that's the point right now, Owl
I know how much the treasure means to you

Meguro needs to step his game up
/s

Guess Who

Banned
Please.

Reusing the same puzzle over and over is just bad design. Doing the dungeon over multiple trips only masks that fact.

Yeah, 5 and 7 in particular should've had at least
one airlock section and one rat-hallway section
cut. Both of those gimmicks dragged out well past their welcome.

LotusHD

Banned

Days is one thing, why would someone take weeks to beat it. They're long, but not that long...

Gorillaz

Negotiations are the favorite part of the game to me but they are really hard to get. Is it based on the nature of them if they are timed, angry, etc?

like you can do the first part right and get the gold notes but if you mess up the 2nd part it just falls apart. But if you do it vice versa you automatically get themask.

Espada

Please.

Exactly. I had my friend try to argue the same thing, that it only feels bad because I'm doing it in one go. But the dungeon's design wouldn't get any better if I strung it out over 5-7 smaller visits. The Persona team opted to make dungeons whose sole purpose is to force you out and burn days. It becomes impossible to ignore in
5 and 7
in particular.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Negotiations are the favorite part of the game to me but they are really hard to get. Is it based on the nature of them if they are timed, angry, etc?

like you can do the first part right and get the gold notes but if you mess up the 2nd part it just falls apart. But if you do it vice versa you automatically get themask.

Negotiations are actually pretty easy in this game since you only have to answer twice and can see their nature.

You should see SMT4Apocalypse where the demons keep asking vague questions and none of the answers make sense.

Zafir

That's just a problem for the last palace though. There's nothing in 5 that's like it.

There totally is. 5 is the worst for it.

You have to find the ID card three times. It was interesting the first time, okay the second and by the third time you're just annoyed. Especially since every time there is a shift change, enemies respawn.

Then you move onto the factory. First room you're introduced to breaking the arms through overworking them, you do that about 3 times to get through the room. The second room you have to put the machines on lunch break a few times to get through the area. Those would be fine, but then it decides to insult you buy making you do all of those again in another room.

Last of all, there's the airlock puzzle which spans multiple maps. It's interesting at the start, but by the end you're just sick of it.

The dungeon is just full of over-used gimmicks which force you to backtrack constantly to press switches or fight enemies.

Doesn't help that I find the dungeon music to be pretty rubbish. Dungeon 7 at least has a great track playing while you're
going through the corridors as a mouse.

Opa-Pa

Surely you guys didn't get the coins in palace 6 with just the first, safest method? It was pretty straightforward and the coins thing was just an excuse to guide you through the challenges. If you did everything correctly you didn't have to repeat anything and the challenges and fights were great.

Favorite palace so far.

And yes trying to beat them in one run does make them drag because they're intentionally designed so that you'll run out of SP at some point unless you manage it correctly and carry SP items... Except S links are broken and you get SP adhesives far too easily. But it's hard to take complaints about their length seriously when the same people are brute forcing them.

Edit: Btw the Morgana discussion should be a little bit more vague >_>

It doesn't really matter what he actually is, what matters is what he believes. He believes he is a boy while having a feminine name/voice...which is why characters were wondering at that point. If he sounded like a boy (like he does in Japanese, eventhough the actor is a woman) it wouldn't lead to much ambiguity and there won't be that much of a reason for characters to wonder if he is a boy or a girl.

Yeah, I guess I was being inconsiderate when I was evaluating Morgana's gender. Although a very small part of the story, I'm happy Atlus explored gender a little bit with Morgana.

galvenize

No it's true.
You spend time with one and then after you do the ones you didn't spend time with come for blood. You then don't get the special items that you would have if you were with only one person

You get the special item from the one you choose to spend valentine's day with regardless if you are in one or multiple relationships.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Come out of palace 6 (first time) with 400k, left with 90k after fusing and resummoning...

giphy.gif

Also 84 hours... fuck this game.

Balphon

The type of answers they like depends on their nature. There's a tutorial that goes over it.

Only the second question/answer actually affects the result of the negotiation. The first set is irrelevant.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
There totally is. 5 is the worst for it.

You have to find the ID card three times. It was interesting the first time, okay the second and by the third time you're just annoyed. Especially since every time there is a shift change, enemies respawn.

Then you move onto the factory. First room you're introduced to breaking the arms through overworking them, you do that about 3 times to get through the room. The second room you have to put the machines on lunch break a few times to get through the area. Those would be fine, but then it decides to insult you buy making you do all of those again in another room.

Last of all, there's the airlock puzzle which spans multiple maps. It's interesting at the start, but by the end you're just sick of it.

The dungeon is just full of over-used gimmicks which force you to backtrack constantly to press switches or fight enemies.

Doesn't help that I find the dungeon music to be pretty rubbish. Dungeon 7 at least has a great track playing while you're
going through the corridors as a mouse.

I'll give you the
ID cards, but then again you are fighting a different miniboss each time. Enemy respawn? Does it matter, you immediately move into a new area after each card.

People are fearing the flanderization of the characters in the next Arena game, but you are flanderizing the dungeon's puzzles. The falling arms is a very short area with a handful of enemies.
It's one of the least long/conplicated part of any palace.

The machines on lunch breaks is one short room to teach the basics, then a bigger one that leads to a mini boss. Both are completely different and very short.

And the airlocks are a simple logic puzzle with barely any battles. It took me a few minutes and I didn't even look up a guide. They were very simple. It's a complete breather after the constant fights and minibosses.

And IMO, the track is one of the better in the game, Better than 1,2,3 for sure.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Based
massages
, got fortune rank 10 after the palace.

So close and yet so far to all max confidants :(

Well this is annoying. I'm in the middle of a nearly 5 hour run through mementos and I just realised I didn't actually initiate one of the requests.

Zafir

I'll give you the
ID cards, but then again you are fighting a different miniboss each time. Enemy respawn? Does it matter, you immediately move into a new area after each card.

People are fearing the flanderization of the characters in the next Arena game, but you are flanderizing the dungeon's puzzles. The falling arms is a very short area with a handful of enemies.
It's one of the least long/conplicated part of any palace.

The machines on lunch breaks is one short room to teach the basics, then a bigger one that leads to a mini boss. Both are completely different and very short.

And the airlocks are a simple logic puzzle with barely any battles. It took me a few minutes and I didn't even look up a guide. They were very simple. It's a complete breather after the constant fights and minibosses.

And IMO, the track is one of the better in the game, Better than 1,2,3 for sure.
It doesn't matter that it's easy. I'm not contesting that, I even said that in the first post. I had no issues with any of the puzzles, or the enemies. It matters that it's boring.

I'm on my second playthrough, where I already know the answer to the puzzles and have persona's which kill every enemy in one turn. It's still taking me way longer than any of the other dungeons because of the pure amount of pointless walking it forces you to do.

I'll concede the tracks of dungeon 1 2 and 3 aren't anything special either(well, I kind of liked the second song in dungeon 3), but at least you can run through those dungeons a lot quicker. They took me anything from 30-60mins on my second play through. Not counting any of the dungeons "opening segments" where you're forced to leave really quickly.

Toki767

75 hours in. Up to 12/8. I only have Yusuke and Haru left to max out. Both are at Rank 9.

I might actually get this done on the first playthrough.

I didn't even come close in Persona 4 Golden lol

nOoblet16

Honestly if you guys are feeling dungeons are a drag then probably try not to do them all in one day?

I know everyone here buys that SP adhesive as soon as possible so as to finish them in one day and the item is there for this very purpose but the dungeon's REALLY are not designed to be done in one day...which is why it feels so long when you do it in one day without any breaks.

Do the phantom thieves just spend all of
October taking L after L?
I'm at
10/27 after Sojiro finds out about you being a phantom thief and the mood is getting pretty heavy, yeesh. I assume the 6th palace will be soon, so catching up to the framing device is exciting

Opa-Pa

When can you start Haru's SL again?

I did it by the time I could send the 6th calling card, but I believe it's possible much earlier. Just meet Haru at the school rooftop when she's there. Her icon will be greyed out.

Also, when you can send the calling card go meet with the gang immediately. Your teammates SLs will be locked until you do, and the game doesn't tell you.

Espada

Honestly if you guys are feeling dungeons are a drag then probably try not to do them all in one day?

I know everyone here buys that SP adhesive as soon as possible so as to finish them in one day but it's REALLY not designed to be done in one day...Which is why it feels so long when you do it in one day without any breaks.

Then you waste more of what precious little time you have and the dungeons are still tediously long with gimmicks that outstay their welcome. Better to be done with it in one go.

Opa-Pa

Then you waste more of what precious little time you have and the dungeons are still tediously long with gimmicks that outstay their welcome. Better to be done with it in one go.

I just don't understand why you consider you're wasting time by doing something that isn't social links though? There's a reason people say it's easier to max everything in this game, and that's the fact that it's designed with you taking multiple days for dungeons in mind.

Espada

I just don't understand why you consider you're wasting time by doing something that isn't social links though? There's a reason people say it's easier to max everything in this game, and that's the fact that it's designed with you taking multiple days for dungeons in mind.

Because my my draw to Persona has been the amusing SLinks, and there are a lot of them in this game. In addition to enjoying all the other non-combat content in the game. I'd rather be done with it quickly. And I definitely fucked up with my social links in this, I didn't expect the excessive social stat gating in this. Last time I remember it being like this it was Mitsuru in P3.

I have a teammate on my team I can't baton pass to because of it!

Opa-Pa

Because my my draw to Persona has been the amusing SLinks, and there are a lot of them in this game. In addition to enjoying all the other non-combat content in the game. I'd rather be done with it quickly. And I definitely fucked up with my social links in this, I didn't expect the excessive social stat gating in this. Last time I remember it being like this it was Mitsuru in P3.

I have a teammate on my team I can't baton pass to because of it!

But man if you're in for the social aspect only then I can't imagine what kind of change would make dungeons less tedious for you since you'd just be enduring them either way... Except just making them shorter or optional altogether, I guess.

It's hard to agree on these things here because some fans enjoy everything and others only one aspect of the game (which is fine!!). It's a pointless argument.

nOoblet16

But it's not "little time" though. It's only little time if you try to do every single thing in the game in your first playthrough itself. You think the game was designed with that in mind?

That sort of completionist mentality is what gets you bored and makes you feel like the game feels like a drag because you are ticking off checklists for each day instead of playing it as you go. And you do that to yourself. Majority of the players won't be so strict about their timing, and for them the dungeons will feel perfect length for the most part. Making it shorter will make it feel right length for people who want to micromanage every day of the calender, but it will in turn make the dungeons feel awfully short and incomplete to the other group of players.

Just for reference I was very relaxed on my first playthrough and I had an amazing time, by the time I started NG+ I could do things even faster because I was OP from the get go plus I didn't have to spend any time building up my social stats meaning even in NG+ I don't have to micromanage things. Infact I am pretty sure I will have absolutely nothing to do for the last month in NG+.

Tldr: There is plenty of time just keep your completionist run for NG+. Infact if you want to be a completionist then you have to do a 2nd playthrough since some things are NG+ exclusive. Meaning all that acute time management in first run becomes useless as you get so much more time in 2nd to do stuff.

Top Bottom