• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

You should have stopped playing 70 hours ago. Spoiler alert, you'll hate everything that's coming. Save yourself the heartache, and play something else.

Haha, I have one dungeon left and it's not like I'm hating the game, I'm just disappointed with it. I still want to see how it wraps up.

Xeteh

So this is my first persona game. I have to say I like quite a bit. But I have a question.

I'm currently playing on Hard mode. I beat the second palace while I was level 18, but just barely. Strangely enough the average level on that day was 17. This made me realize that playing on hard may not be a good idea as there is an indirect consequence of spending too much time in the palaces and not enough on the outside world.

So here's my question. If I continue playing on Hard, will I still be able to get the most out of the game? or should I lower the difficulty for a first play through. (and no I am not going to keep switching difficulties, I want to commit to one only.)

That's really up to you. If you're legitimately enjoying the challenge of Hard and you're getting a lot out of that then stick with it. If you really want to see more of the social stuff and don't think it is worth it, then yeah crank it down. Its easy to clear through the later dungeons in the fewest days possible (some in one day). Its really what you want out of the game.

asagami_

Banned
So this is my first persona game. I have to say I like quite a bit. But I have a question.

I'm currently playing on Hard mode. I beat the second palace while I was level 18, but just barely. Strangely enough the average level on that day was 17. This made me realize that playing on hard may not be a good idea as there is an indirect consequence of spending too much time in the palaces and not enough on the outside world.

So here's my question. If I continue playing on Hard, will I still be able to get the most out of the game? or should I lower the difficulty for a first play through. (and no I am not going to keep switching difficulties, I want to commit to one only.)

You will be fine, you are in the moment when Persona fusion is more interesting, especially for the ones who can null physical attacks, I think Shiki-Ouji will be avaible soon for you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
only the
IT guy
left on palace 7, gonna leave that for tomorow. Im doing the route to the treasure on a day that I didnt have any SL to do, I think I have like 10 left still but I dont think im gonna max all.

Haru, Arcade Kid and Gun guy
are all around rank 6 and they dont always show up, in fact
gun guy and arcade kid
are a pain to show up. So close man :(

I did get all max stats tho.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Burn Boost or Matarunda on Ann? Are the status effects boosts actually good? I feel it'd be a boon for boss fights, but on the other hand....Matarunda.

kadotsu

Banned
Burn Boost or Matarunda on Ann? Are the status effects boosts actually good? I feel it'd be a boon for boss fights, but on the other hand....Matarunda.

Burn is the worst status effect. It's very little DoT and only technicals with Garu. Sleep, Dizzy and Confused are way better. Even Freeze and Shock skip the enemy turn and combo with physical.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Burn is the worst status effect. It's very little DoT and only technicals with Garu. Sleep, Dizzy and Confused are way better. Even Freeze and Shock skip the enemy turn and combo with physical.

Blazing Hell
Agidyne
Concentrate
Matarunda
Fire Amp
Fire Boost
Evade Ice
Diarahan

Sounds like the perfect build?

Linkura

So you're literally telling me you admonished me (incorrectly) about the final dungeon when you haven't even beaten the game yourself?

No wonder.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So you're literally telling me you admonished me (incorrectly) about the final dungeon when you haven't even beaten the game yourself?

No wonder.

Wondering the best build for Ann is all. I want to make perfect builds for every character. I'll edit it what I've got so far. Ahem

Ann

Blazing Hell
Agidyne
Concentration
Matarunda
Fire Amp
Fire Boost
Evade Ice
Diarahan

Morgana

Garudyne
Magarudyne
Salvation
Samarecarm
Masakunda
Wind Amp
Wind Boost
Evade Elec

Wondering if Miracle Punch would fit in here

Ryuji

Ziodyne
Maziodyne
Agneyastra
God Hand
Charge
Matarukaja
Evade Wind
Elec Boost

Yusuke

Bufudyne
Mabufudyne
Masukukaja
Vorpal Blade
Brave Blade
High Counter
Speed Master
Evade Fire

Makoto

Atomic Flare
Mafreidyne
Mediarahan
Marakukaja
Flash Bomb
Nuke Amp
Nuke Boost
Evade Psy

Haru

Psiodyne
Mapsiodyne
One Shot Kill
Snipe
Heat Riser
Psy Boost
Psy Amp
Evade Nuke

Criticize away! I'm not sure about the Severe spells except Blazing Hell. I am wondering if the dyne versions can do the job for less SP.

Opa-Pa

You guys see that other thread about not liking Persona 5? Some people are going in about how much they hate this game.

Not surprising at all. I'm glad P5 is getting all the exposure, but it's still a type of game that a lot of people simply won't enjoy, specially when fans only promote one part of the game. Not everyone will be down to 100+ hours of dungeon crawling and time management.

Tarunda is great but Matarunda is pretty situational and a waste of SP during bosses. For crowd control tentarafoo is way more reliable.

Burn boost is super good against mini bosses too.

kadotsu

Banned
Wondering the best build for Ann is all. I want to make perfect builds for every character. I'll edit it what I've got so far. Ahem

The perfect build for Ann is to not use her at all. If she had Spell Master it would be a different story but double Diarahan with Ryuji or Haru for DPS is way better.

You guys see that other thread about not liking Persona 5? Some people are going in about how much they hate this game.

It really sucks to read all the negativity between the "convince me to play", "localization", and "problems with P4" threads. I need to stop opening those.

At some point I have to wonder if part of it comes from the typical bashing against the current hot game that some Gaffers tend to do. But I realize most of the complaints are probably just coming from people who don't dig it.

Linkura

The perfect build for Ann is to not use her at all. If she had Spell Master it would be a different story but double Diarahan with Ryuji or Haru for DPS is way better.

Yeah... she's rather disappointing in the endgame. :( I mean at least Makoto and Morgana, the other two spellcasters, have Mediarahan/Salvation that keeps it worth it to have them on the team.

Lusankya

Yeah... she's rather disappointing in the endgame. :( I mean at least Makoto and Morgana, the other two spellcasters, have Mediarahan/Salvation that keeps it worth it to have them on the team.

Lol, Ann is amazing in the endgame as she has Concentration and deals by far the most damage to bosses.

Who cares about Mediarahan? Just use items or Joker for that.

It really sucks to read all the negativity between the "convince me to play", "localization", and "problems with P4" threads. I need to stop opening those.

At some point I have to wonder if part of it comes from the typical bashing against the current hot game that some Gaffers tend to do. But I realize most of the complaints are probably just coming from people who don't dig it.
If you don't like Visual Novels, the cringe worthy story, or the characters , the game is going to be a chore.

I mean I'm disappointed in persona 5 and have a lot of criticisms of it but I can also acknowledge what it does very well and I understand why so many love it. At this point I'd probably give it a jim sterling 7/10 :p

george_us

I can see how people wouldn't dig the characters, art direction, OST, story etc. since that stuff is subjective. Personally I'm still loving it all after 76 hours but it is what it is. People who actually enjoy the gameplay of P3 and P4 more than 5 are straight up odd though. P5 is a vast improvement in every single way over Persona 3 and 4 in the gameplay department.

Having just finished Palace 4, I can say I'm enjoying it more than P4G, though I did like P4G a whole lot. But this game is approaching "all-time favorite" status for me.

Linkura

Lol, Ann is amazing in the endgame as she has Concentration and deals by far the most damage to bosses.

Who cares about Mediarahan? Just use items or Joker for that.

Whoops, forgot about that. But honestly the game isn't very hard so I haven't needed to use it. :O

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who try to downplay the gross parts of these games to convince themselves that no one should care, because I guess they're terrified of accepting that the games have huge problems with their writing, or of being judged for liking games that have bad parts or something.

Rocwell

Just finished a little while ago a couple hours shy of 140.

What a fantastic game. I wish I had more of a warning to finish more S links before getting thrown into the end game but I guess I'll just have to save that stuff for the inevitable NG+ run. I wasn't able to finish Kawakami's s-link for some reason, I got her up to rank 9 and did the request in Mementos but every time I tried to call her after that
she told me she was on break and I could only get her to do chores for me.
Sucks because I really wanted that rank 10 ability for NG+.

They really dropped the ball with Iwai though, by the time I even got to start his s link I was in the last third of the game and his gun upgrades were basically useless.

Overall though I have to say I'm pretty damn well satisfied with the game. It was definitely well worth the wait.

Major Plot/ending spoilers:
The whole twist with the Phantom Thieves being prepared for Akechi's betrayal was actually pretty good despite his betrayal itself being extremely telegraphed. I was kind of surprised he was just left to die off camera at the hands of Shadow Akechi, I kept expecting him to reappear at some point later on and see some kind of redemption either helping to fight Shido or turning up again in the depths of Mementos.

The REAL twist was Igor not actually being Igor which was pretty funny given that many people were griping over the changes to his voice casting early on. My jaw was pretty much on the floor for all of 12/24.

I really want to jump right back in but I should probably go back and polish off Nier: Automata before I dump another 100 hours into this game.

Any things I should keep an eye out for in NG+?

I saw that there was a battle with the twin wardens but that didn't really happen in my playthrough?

StereoVsn

Not that I know of.
However, doing the palaces without avoiding all enemies + one run of mementos in between palces is more than enough to have a high enough level (at least on normal)
When you make a path to the treasure, you can go to lower floors and enemies re spawn. Coupled with SP accessories I find that's the best one to grind. You can do same thing with Mementos by jumping between floors.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who try to downplay the gross parts of these games to convince themselves that no one should care, because I guess they're terrified of accepting that the games have huge problems with their writing, or of being judged for liking games that have bad parts or something.

I think some parts of the crowd on both sides of the argument could use work.

There's the audience that blindly defends and deflects and acts like nothing is wrong and that's a problem. Then there's the part of the opposing audience that stigmatizes and lambasts anyone who enjoys it all as if there is something wrong with them.

There's logical discussion to be had, but sadly there's a lot of mindlessness and shit-slinging going on around it. As is the nature of the internet I guess.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, I've got 1 day left of the 4th dungeon. All handed in and waiting for the story to kick in.

Level 32.
Everything at 4 expect Kindness at 3.
Death 10, Fool 6, Magician 6, Priestess 5, Chariot 5, Moon 4, Strength 4, Lovers 4, Hiero 4, Emperor 3, Hanged 3, Star 2, Judge 2, Justice 2.

Questions:

1. How is this looking for where I am in the game? I have no interest in min/max until ng+, but I'm just curious how well I'm doing managing this on the fly.

2. Is there anything I should be concentrating on in your opinion? Like specific confidants for specific skill unlocks, etc...?

Cheers!

Where do i get sp accessories?

The Clinic. Death confident unlock, level 5 unlocks them and level 7 gives you a half price discount on everything. they're quite expensive at first.

Beofre the discount:

20k for +3SP per turn
50k for +5SP per turn
100k for + 7SP per turn

Zolo

So, I've got 1 day left of the 4th dungeon. All handed in and waiting for the story to kick in.

Level 32.
Death 10, Fool 6, Magician 6, Priestess 5, Chariot 5, Moon 4, Strength 4, Lovers 4, Hiero 4, Emperor 3, Hanged 3, Star 2, Judge 2, Justice 2.

Questions:

1. How is this looking for where I am in the game? I have no interest in min/max until ng+, but I'm just curious how well I'm doing managing this on the fly.

2. Is there anything I should be concentrating on in your opinion? Like specific confidants for specific skill unlocks, etc...?

Cheers!

The stats are good, but the confidant ranks seem a bit low? Of course, I'm probably about to hit the point where I start hitting max stat blocks.

In Mementos
The Reaper appears when you idle too long. Wait until flu season in November. Save your game and trigger him. He might start the fight with despair.
Which means he won't attack and kill himself in 3 turns. 72k XP per kill.

Also don't do it, it breaks the balance way too much lol

Thx!
I probably won't do it on the first run, but good to know in NG+

ASIS

First playthough, don't bother about juggling dungeons and social life. Go at your own rhythm. Do whatever it is that you want, and play on the difficulty that you want. And the average level is always out of whack. I'm perpetually 5 levels behind and then 5 levels higher after the dungeons.

That's really up to you. If you're legitimately enjoying the challenge of Hard and you're getting a lot out of that then stick with it. If you really want to see more of the social stuff and don't think it is worth it, then yeah crank it down. Its easy to clear through the later dungeons in the fewest days possible (some in one day). Its really what you want out of the game.

You will be fine, you are in the moment when Persona fusion is more interesting, especially for the ones who can null physical attacks, I think Shiki-Ouji will be avaible soon for you.
oh cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I'll continue playing on hard cause it makes the battles far more exhilarating. I actually advise everyone to give it a shot. It's good stuff.

Jisgsaw

Where do i get sp accessories?

At the clinic.
I'd wait to reach Death Lv7 though, to have the price drop of 50%

Level 32.

Questions:

Cheers!

Your teammates are a bit low for where you're at, and you're missing the Sun, Temperance and Fortune confidents...
Sun is good for negociations, Star is great for strartagy, Temperance is unbelivably helpfull to save time in the real world, and upping your teammates is a must to ghet them very helpfull skills...
Aside from Hanged Man and Devil, all confidents havbe really good skills.

Zafir

I mean people can have complaints and still love something though.

The localisation can be questionable at times, some of the scenes can be in bad taste, a few of the dungeon mechanics overstay their welcome and so on. However, in spite of all that, I still really enjoyed the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thank you both.

Yeh, I've looked at some of the team skills you get later and they seems really helpful. I struggled a bit last dungeon versus the Bearer of the Scales shadows (Anubis), I think I felt a little underpowered. Not sure if this is related.

What kind of levels should they be ideally at this point?

ChrisD

If you don't like Visual Novels, the cringe worthy story, or the characters , the game is going to be a chore.

What if you enjoy the gameplay enough to balance out some of those cons? Seems like an important thing to leave out. :p

Edited out the (to you) because it made no sense. Don't think you're saying you personally dislike VNs. Misread, my bad.

Top Bottom