• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

LotusHD

Banned
So I just finished HZD and am just about to start my first playthrough of Persona 5. Would you guys recommend going with the Japanese or English audio? The only persona I played was P4G with English audio and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Also, any must know tips before I start?

Spend time with Becky.

FluxWaveZ

So I just finished HZD and am just about to start my first playthrough of Persona 5. Would you guys recommend going with the Japanese or English audio? The only persona I played was P4G with English audio and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I don't usually have tips to give, but SO many people have been doing this that here's one:

Do NOT leave deadlines until the last minute (or day) unless you want to have a bad time. Do not underestimate them, and make sure you meet their requirements at least a week before they end.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't think Becky's job is really representative of stuff like maid cafés and the like. I think it's just "that kind of service" except with women acting like maids.

It's a bit shocking even then when
Takase's foster parents are like "Bitch you're a hooker". I legit wanted to slap that motherfucker on the spot.

Relique

I don't usually have tips to give, but SO many people have been doing this that here's one:

Do NOT leave deadlines until the last minute (or day) unless you want to have a bad time. Do not underestimate them, and make sure you meet their requirements at least a week before they end.

Thanks for this. I think I remember this being an issue in P4G a couple of times, if memory serves.

Thanks everyone else for the tips. I'll go with English and glue myself to Becky, whoever that is.

Thanks for this. I think I remember this being an issue in P4G a couple of times, if memory serves.

Thanks everyone else for the tips. I'll go with English and glue myself to Becky, whoever that is.

Also, because everybody asks this: you cannot lose gameplay days. Finishing a dungeon early (again, do them early) will not skip time.

Opa-Pa

It's a bit shocking even then when
Takase's foster parents are like "Bitch you're a hooker". I legit wanted to slap that motherfucker on the spot.

I swear, beating the crap of Mementos bosses never felt so satisfying. Bastards.

Good luck, and feel free to ask for help if you ever have questions or get stuck!

Zafir

The problem with the Japanese voices is, some dialogue isn't subtitled. So I'd honestly recommend English voices, despite the fact there's some weird pronunciations here and there.

As for tips. Death, Temperance, Star, and Fortune are some confidants you'll want to focus on first due to their benefits.

Feel like this quest to max Charm to move Makoto pass Rank 5 is going to result in missing out on a lot of stuff from other Confidants.

I don't mean dated in terms of graphics, but rather gameplay. I'd get Persona 2 on Vita (the PS1 classic and PSP remake) but people here have said Persona 2 plays awful. Nocturne looks cool but I'm really not sure about how much fun I'll have with it plus I'll have to get a PS2 for it or set up an emulator.

SMT: Nocturne plays like smooth butter. It originated the Press Turn system and the battles are lighting fast and the game oozes with style. It's a far, far cry from Persona 2's clunkiness.

It's pretty heavily implied that
there's certain "services" Kawakami provides as a maid that she deliberately withholds from offering to the protag.

Regarding Becky:
This seems kind of ambiguous
She implies that she will have to go into full on prostitution to keep making her payments which would imply that her current services are less than that. Plus, I can't imagine you are getting much for 5,000 yen. You can even hire a "real" maid to do actual cleaning for that amount.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Regarding Becky:
She implies that she will have to go into full on prostitution to keep making her payments which would imply that her current services are less than that. Plus, I can't imagine you are getting much for 5,000 yen. You can even hire a "real" maid to do actual cleaning for that amount.

She's already
a prostitute. Which is why the first time you meet her, she tells you that some of her "services" will have to wait till you are older. And then the parents make it clear. She's a sex worker. Her "new" job prospect is essentially to get pounded 24/7 instead of the more relatively "classy" meido shit.

Guess Who

Banned
Regarding Becky:

I wouldn't take the price too literally as that's probably driven more by gameplay conceit than narrative, but I agree with your point about her employer's "sister company." Still, the fact that the maid service's sister company is literally a prostitute service probably also says something about the "maid service." I'd guess the "maid" end of things is less full-on prostitution and more massage-parlor "happy ending" sort of stuff.

Zafir

Feel like this quest to max Charm to move Makoto pass Rank 5 is going to result in missing out on a lot of stuff from other Confidants.

Heh. I made the mistake of focusing too much on getting stats up on my first playthrough. Practically everything you do ends up giving you stats, so by the end of the game you end up having points wasted since you already got it to rank 5.

That said, if you're doing NG+ it doesn't matter too much. Assuming you max Fortune on the first run and have stats really high from the start, you can do all confidants on a second playthrough easily.

8/29
Ryuji instigating morgana for no reason. What is his issue?
Morgana had been berating him all game, so it's hardly surprising. Frankly I find them both as irritating as each other. :p

Ultimadrago

The problem with the Japanese voices is, some dialogue isn't subtitled. So I'd honestly recommend English voices, despite the fact there's some weird pronunciations here and there.

Yeah, I noticed this too during my time in the game. That said, I still ended up loving the voice casting for the Japanese dub despite missing a few lines, so I certainly didn't regret going to it for both of my playthroughs. I would be more likely to say that whatever the player's preference is can be met here.

I'm really glad Atlus brought the Dual Audio over for this one Day One and I hope it's something I can see put in more of their big RPG titles from here on out.

Zafir

Yeah, I noticed this too during my time in the game. That said, I still ended up loving the voice casting for the Japanese dub despite missing a few lines, so I certainly didn't regret going to it for both of my playthroughs.

I'm really glad Atlus brought the Dual Audio over for this one Day One and I hope it's something I can see put in more of their big RPG titles from here on out.

I started my second playthrough with Japanese voices but I ended up swapping it back pretty fast.

I liked the voices but I find dialogue not being subtitled pretty irritating. It annoyed me in TMS as well, but you didn't really have much of a choice there.

The voices felt like they were compressed too, but I guess it was only a 2GB download...

I wouldn't take the price too literally as that's probably driven more by gameplay conceit than narrative, but I agree with your point about her employer's "sister company." Still, the fact that the maid service's sister company is literally a prostitute service probably also says something about the "maid service." I'd guess the "maid" end of things is less full-on prostitution and more massage-parlor "happy ending" sort of stuff.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

Heh. I made the mistake of focusing too much on getting stats up on my first playthrough. Practically everything you do ends up giving you stats, so by the end of the game you end up having points wasted since you already got it to rank 5.

Well I'm at the beginning of October and Charm is still at 4. Feel like I need to get it to 5 soon if I am going to be able max her before the end of the game.

I'm at 5 on Academics and 4 on every other stat.

That said, if you're doing NG+ it doesn't matter too much. Assuming you max Fortune on the first run and have stats really high from the start, you can do all confidants on a second playthrough easily.

Better to max out early on social stats in a new game then miss out on someone's slink you wanted to do because they have some insanely high barrier for entry like Haru and her freaking 5 proficiency.

Nose Master

Question about the fishing trophy:
What does his silhouette look like, every other big fish? The guide I'm reading says you have to read the two fishing books and fish with the top-tier bait six times. I've done that, and I'm just getting the same old shit. Do you have to hang around and wait for a unique silhouette to spawn or?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's the scariest trophy for me. I hope I unlock it easy.

It's not that scary compared to P4's one. I think it includes Morgana's lines and Futaba's outside battle comments too because there's no way Futaba said 250 lines purely on battle from what I've experienced.

Ultimadrago

It's not that scary compared to P4's one. I think it includes Morgana's lines and Futaba's outside battle comments too because there's no way Futaba said 250 lines purely on battle from what I've experienced.

In my experience it only includes Futaba's lines. I'm still fuzzy on whether Field dialogue counted or not, but it certainly didn't count Morgana's.

Zafir

Well I'm at the beginning of October and Charm is still at 4. Feel like I need to get it to 5 soon if I am going to be able max her before the end of the game.

I'm at 5 on Academics and 4 on every other stat.
You still have quite a bit of time for social links, but yeah you might want to prioritise it if you want her
festival
scene.

Better to max out early on social stats in a new game then miss out on someone's slink you wanted to do because they have some insanely high barrier for entry like Haru and her freaking 5 proficiency.

True. I ended up not getting very far with Haru since I didn't have rank 5 proficiency until the last month in the game.

The problem is, it's hard to plan without knowing. I went in blind so I got to the roadblocks, and was like "fuck".

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

Oh shit that'd be amazing. So far, nothing 140 hours in. We'll see.

Did you get access to the fishing ponding via reading or Ryuuji's impromptu invitation?

No I mostly ignored Ryuji's text because he's awful because I maxed his social link fairly early in the game and I've only read books that focus on social stats. I probably have the book I just haven't done any of the location ones since I've not found inviting people places to be that useful compared to just generally hanging out with them.

RDreamer

This is really aggravating. I've been waiting to go to Mementos until I got past the Palace 5 stuff so I'd have more to explore along with requests. I'm stuck on a lot of confidants because of this. After the change of heart after Palace 5 now, though, I hold a meeting and Morgana won't let me enter. That's even though he specifically said we could enter Mementos that day. Is this because
Haru can't come to the meeting? If it is, when can I go in?

Thud

Where even is the fishing minigame I'm in November and I've never seen it

Ichigaya. Not the camp.

The best time to fish is during rain. Fishes are more likely to have a tag, which doubles points. Points you trade for bait, rods and other items.

I caught the guardian on my first try with the top tier bait lol.

Ultimadrago

Is it possible to read every book in 1 playthrough or can it carry into ng+? Also is there a book that increases reading speed like in 3/4

I did all of them in my first playthrough and yes, there is a Speed Reading book unlocked in
Jinborocho
after you've read the prior books the owner offers.

Zafir

This is really aggravating. I've been waiting to go to Mementos until I got past the Palace 5 stuff so I'd have more to explore along with requests. I'm stuck on a lot of confidants because of this. After the change of heart after Palace 5 now, though, I hold a meeting and Morgana won't let me enter. That's even though he specifically said we could enter Mementos that day. Is this because
Haru can't come to the meeting? If it is, when can I go in?
Yeah,
there's a bit of time while Haru is busy and so you can't go to Momentos. I think it only takes about a week before you can go again though.

Thud

Is it possible to read every book in 1 playthrough or can it carry into ng+? Also is there a book that increases reading speed like in 3/4

You have to read them in one playthrough. To unlock the speedreading book:

Buy and read through all three books in Jimbochi.

Post Palace 6 scene spoilers:
Oh my! Even if the twist was pretty obvious I love how all of that played out. Got some major Zero Escape and Inception vibes haha.
One thing confused me a bit though, in all of the interrogation flash back scenes,
was that the copy of Joker, or the real Joker?

FluxWaveZ

Oh my! Even if the twist was pretty obvious I love how all of that played out. Got some major Zero Escape and Inception vibes haha.
One thing confused me a bit though, in all of the interrogation flash back scenes,

Real Joker. Of course it would be, because the Metaverse only kicks in when Sae leaves the room and shows the phone to Akechi.

Sae interrogates the real Joker. When she shows Akechi the phone, Futaba activates the Nav and plunges them into the Metaverse, causing Akechi to only kill the cognitive Joker.

Nose Master

This fish does not exist.

Weather is set, right? Cause boy,
effects sure do dry up towards end-game, or I'm getting garbage RNG.

Its all real joker. The only time they interact with cognitive joker was after Sae and Akechi passed by each other and thats when Akechi kills him.

DNAbro

I read weather doesn't matter? Did I get bad info?

I saw that you need to catch 10 fish in one sitting for it to appear plus you need the best bait.

Zafir

I saw that you need to catch 10 fish in one sitting for it to appear plus you need the best bait.

It does matter yeah. In Mementos it does anyway, the enemies can be more aggressive, or have a chance to start with certain status ailments depending on the weather. Not just weather either, Flu Season/High Pollen Count days too.

Ultimadrago

For me it was catching 6 fish in one sitting. Reportedly, Rain helps frequency of it showing up (earlier), but you don't exactly need it. The 6th fish on a normal day occurrence isn't 100% though, it took me about 2 reloads to have them show afterwards.

Aspiring

Yup. After being screwed overy hours of gameplay this is the best advice. I just finished Palace 2 with 7 days spare haha.

Toki767

Just 6, not 10. You can use the small bait you receive when you fish too. Doesn't have to be medium/large.

DNAbro

It does matter yeah. In Mementos it does anyway, the enemies can be more aggressive, or have a chance to start with certain status ailments depending on the weather. Not just weather either, Flu Season/High Pollen Count days too.

I was talking about fishing.

Top Bottom