• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Vice

Finished!
The ending was amazing, holy shit. All those revelations...
P5 was kinda my first Persona game and I really loved it. That makes me wonder what P6 will look like, but we will have to wait a long time haha

(Now I'm a biiit tired, because I stopped the game at 4AM, cutscenes and final boss were lasting forever lol)

Check out all the others. 3 and 4 are very similar in structure, but the story in the P2 duology is really good. But, no need to rush since P6 isn't coming out anytime soon.

duckroll

Just in case people are interested...a figure of the MC just went up for pre-order. It's about $100 not including shipping. Comes out in September though.

3K79njc.gif

http://news.amiami.jp/topics/2017/04/69075.html

Panther joins the fray at 13,800yen (almost 3 Beckys).

6t2bWkm.jpg

Anytime out of combat, enter the Stats screen and just change the active party members (via the square button, iirc). Doesn't need to be in a safe room.

Took me about 60 hours to find out how to do it in a safe room, now after 100+ hours you tell me I don't even need to do that. Ha.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this feeling of emptiness now that its over :(

P4 isnt really grabbing me either, but I think I just need to do some multiplayer joint for awhile after basically 4 massive single player games in a row (Horizon 50 hours, Nier 34 hours, Zelda 70 hours and now P5 122 hours)

NG+ playthrough, switched to Hard in the middle of Palace 4. Hard seemed harder than what I wanted before, but now it's clicking nicely. I'm guessing it's due to having some decent party and skill flexibility by this point.

I knew HE was in there but finally, I found him...
125 hours in. Final dungeon.
He is here, facing me, gently twitching on his gold chariot:
The Throbbing King of Desire
Soon, he will join my party. Soon.

Derpot

Check out all the others. 3 and 4 are very similar in structure, but the story in the P2 duology is really good. But, no need to rush since P6 isn't coming out anytime soon.

I watched my brother play P3 and P4, but maybe I'll try P3P myself eventually, if I can (let's say I have seen enough of P4 with the spin-offs and all lol).
I wish the devs could make another game with a female protagonist like P3P and P2EP though.
I wanna date husbandos

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I knew HE was in there but finally, I found him...
125 hours in. Final dungeon.
He is here, facing me, gently twitching on his gold chariot:
The Throbbing King of Desire
Soon, he will join my party. Soon.

he
has no immunities
btw :(

mulac

First persona game and started today. Does it normally take a while for the game to 'start'?.

I can see the appeal and definately interested in the story but when does it open up fully? How long to give it?

Yu Narukami

First persona game and started today. Does it normally take a while for the game to 'start'?.

I can see the appeal and definately interested in the story but when does it open up fully? How long to give it?
I thought the general plot opened up after 60 hours, but that's just my opinion.

Zafir

I think the first 10-20 hours are always particularly slow in a Persona game, to be honest. Since it's trying to set a scene, as well as explain mechanics to you.

It depends what you mean by opening up, really. You get more control after the first month or so, as more social links and that open up. There will still be story sections where you're railroaded into watching a lot of story cutscenes in a row though. Ironically the days when you have a deadline, tend to be the days where you have the most free time.

Corpekata

Banned

It's a trait of the series really, and this game starts faster than the rest.

It'll feel constrained for a good while. You get a decent amount more control after the first dungeon but a lot of the early game railroads you.

Is it commonly known that Ryuji's confidant rank levels up really quickly or something? I'm a day before the fireworks festival and he's already at rank 8. I wasn't even trying!

hemo memo

Gold Member

You still get pop-up tutorial boxes 8 hours into the game
It's a 90 hour RPG so that's expected. Give it until the first Palace atleast.

Dragner

Is it commonly known that Ryuji's confidant rank levels up really quickly or something? I'm a day before the fireworks festival and he's already at rank 8. I wasn't even trying!

Some confidants level quicker than others Sojiro is an example of slow confidant and Ryuki is fast. There are even faster later (the empress confidant basically levels always as long as you hit the correct answers and use an empress persona)

These stat locks for main party s-links are so aggravating. I can't even get Haru baton pass without 5 proficiency. Guess she's not getting used

nOoblet16

Eh it barely works. Hassou Tobi has incredibly low critical hit rate.

I replaced it with arm master instead.
Well you can use the why use the critical up buff on top, but in my experience it works well.

I have arms master as well. I took out nuke immunity for it since barely anyone uses nuke and it's not like he is weak to nuke.

LotusHD

Banned
Completed the 7th palace, boss and all.

Much more pleasant than the 6th and 5th palaces, surprisingly. 2nd best music theme. Probably, honestly I only absolutely loved the 6th one, but I liked this one a lot. Although, as I said before, had I died, I would've been extremely pissed, because the way they place the safe rooms is... not to my liking.

That being said, as usual, the palace was loooooong as fuck. But I guess I'm long used to that at this point.

Spoilers:

The mice parts were completely fine.
I only got hit once and I survived, so no biggie. Smokescreens made sure that never happened again.

As for Goro, umm, I hope they didn't really expect me to give a shit about him dying. He tried to kill me. He's killed several other people. He repeatedly said he'd kill all of us with the most gleeful of tones. Like sure your past sucks, but uhh... I don't really give a fuck, no one told you to be a murderer. I did care when he briefly and quickly brought it up months later, but that's when I thought he was on my side and not a backstabbing asshole. Totally called him being Shido's bastard son, because of course, why else would a high schooler be working for him.

But seriously though, the gang is either empathetic as fuck or they have really bad memories, because they forgave him too fast. The only one that said he wouldn't ever forgive Akechi was Ryuji, and even he was initially quite understanding. I mean, I get it, they gotta do the whole cringeworthy scolding they always do (Seriously, the localization for this game sucks when it comes to this part), but c'mon...

Really took me out of it, and I'm usually a pretty forgiving guy when it comes to characters betraying me. But I have my limits, the game didn't put in enough work for me to really be upset over it, much less really buy that the gang would be that sympathetic towards him. Anyways, good riddens.

As for Shido, meh, not much to say. I beat his shadow, which took awhile, the end. The music change was neat I guess.

One thing I did appreciate is the escalation of giving out the calling card. I complained a little about it the other day that they've become so boring since the 2nd palace,
so it was nice to finally get that grandiose delivery I've been waiting for since the first palace. Futaba you rule.

Now to wait for the change of heart.

Alright, just started fighting what I believe to be the final boss. I'm sure he has like 20 forms and there's probably another boss after him but this is it, I'm beating the game today. I just put my PS4 in rest mode, I'm gonna go eat and when I come back, let's do this!

RalchAC

Completed the 7th palace, boss and all.

Much more pleasant than the 6th and 5th palaces, surprisingly. 2nd best music theme. Probably, honestly I only absolutely loved the 6th one, but I liked this one a lot. Although, as I said before, had I died, I would've been extremely pissed, because the way they place the safe rooms is... not to my liking.

That being said, as usual, the palace was loooooong as fuck. But I guess I'm long used to that at this point.

Spoilers:

The mice parts were completely fine.
I only got hit once and I survived, so no biggie. Smokescreens made sure that never happened again.

As for Goro, umm, I hope they didn't really expect me to give a shit about him dying. He tried to kill me. He's killed several other people. He repeatedly said he'd kill all of us with the most gleeful of tones. Like sure your past sucks, but uhh... I don't really give a fuck, no one told you to be a murderer. I did care when he briefly and quickly brought it up months later, but that's when I thought he was on my side and not a backstabbing asshole. Totally called him being Shido's bastard son, because of course, why else would a high schooler be working for him.

But seriously though, the gang is either empathetic as fuck or they have really bad memories, because they forgave him too fast. The only one that said he wouldn't ever forgive Akechi was Ryuji, and even he was initially quite understanding. I mean, I get it, they gotta do the whole cringeworthy scolding they always do (Seriously, the localization for this game sucks when it comes to this part), but c'mon...

Really took me out of it, and I'm usually a pretty forgiving guy when it comes to characters betraying me. But I have my limits, the game didn't put in enough work for me to really be upset over it, much less really buy that the gang would be that sympathetic towards him. Anyways, good riddens.

As for Shido, meh, not much to say. I beat his shadow, which took awhile, the end. The music change was neat I guess.

One thing I did appreciate is the escalation of giving out the calling card. I complained a little about it the other day that they've become so boring since the 2nd palace,
so it was nice to finally get that grandiose delivery I've been waiting for since the first palace. Futaba you rule.

Now to wait for the change of heart.

I kind of felt bad for him, due to his story background and all, but yeah. He wouldn't work as a normal party member. At best I'd have accepted him back for the fight against Shido, as long as he gave himself in afterwards. Dying is honestly the best redemption he ciuld have got

You won't go away with calling Rivers in the Desert just "neat" though.

Dragner

I kind of felt bad for him, due to his story background and all, but yeah. He wouldn't work as a normal party member. At best I'd have accepted him back for the fight against Shido, as long as he gave himself in afterwards. Dying is honestly the best redemption he ciuld have got

I never forgave him but I appreciated his sacrifice and believed him when he showed repentance. It was a good way to say goodbye to the character even when the power of friendship moment was a bit cringy

Murkas

How do I get the level 67 and my favourite Persona of all time
Black Frost
on the group fusion list? He's not there for me, is there something I need to do to unlock it?

Guess Who

Banned
How do I get the level 67 and my favourite Persona of all time
Black Frost
on the group fusion list? He's not there for me, is there something I need to do to unlock it?

I believe unlocking Black Frost is tied to completing a Mementos quest where the enemy is a Black Frost.

P4 isnt really grabbing me either, but I think I just need to do some multiplayer joint for awhile after basically 4 massive single player games in a row (Horizon 50 hours, Nier 34 hours, Zelda 70 hours and now P5 122 hours)

I will gladly pay good money for a story DLC for this game. Even if it's just to hang out with your buddies like that one ME3 DLC.

Zafir

Yeah, that's basically my stance on him as well. I do kind of feel sorry for him, and I think there's something to be said about if they'd have met earlier it could have possibly been avoided. However, I don't think there was any coming back at that point frankly, the best you could hope for was him helping the group with Shido and then turning himself in or something.

That all said, I still think his arc felt a bit rushed. You'd only just seen his psychotic side and then suddenly everyone's wanting him to join them against Shido.

Derpot

This one and the Final Boss theme are my favorite musics in the game, but P5's OST in general is amazing.

Except Mementos's theme, this one makes me depressed because of how annoying it sounds at some point lol

nOoblet16

I am feeling the same. P4's music is just not grabbing me. Perhaps it's the Jpop-y music, or the character models that look like 10 year olds instead of high schoolers, or the village setting, or the RNG dungeons, or the Scooby Doo style plot...Whatever it is I can't seem to get into it. It also doesn't help that it lacks the QoL changes to the battle system with its menu layout and all that Persona 5 brought about. To put it bluntly, Persona 4 has no style at all..Even its predecessor i.e. Persona 3 had more style.

Maybe I'll come back later but now I need to get back to multiplayer gaming. You still play Overwatch these days ?

I am feeling the same. P4's music is just not grabbing me. Perhaps it's the Jpop-y music, or the character models that look like 10 year olds instead of high schoolers, or the village setting, or the RNG dungeons, or the Scooby Doo style plot...Whatever it is I can't seem to get into it. It also doesn't help that it lacks the QoL changes to the battle system with its menu layout and all that Persona 5 brought about.

Maybe I'll come back later but now I need to get back to multiplayer gaming. You still play Overwatch these days ?

Are you playing Golden or the PS2 version? Because I could never go back to the latter but Golden feels perfect to me.

RalchAC

What did people that has already finished the fame feel about
fake Igor explaining that Akechi was supposed to be MC's rival for his game and the person that represented the Holy Grail's side of the battle?

He shared the
Fool arcana with the MC, so it makes sense,
but I kind of felt like
it gives a chance for narrative to say "you see, he was just a victim! He is actually a good guy!"

I never bought any P4 spin off, and I don't have plan to get any Arena / Dancing style spin off either for 5. So I'm not aware of Ultimate trying to redeem Akechi.

This one and the Final Boss theme are my favorite musics in the game, but P5's OST in general is amazing.

Except Mementos's theme, this one makes me depressed because of how annoying it sounds at some point lol

The full soundtrack is available in iTunes. I'm going to get it.

vypek

Did anyone see that video where someone matched the Cowboy Bebop opening with the opening to the game? It did seem to fit pretty well. Lol

Zafir

Heh. I've been debating whether I should either go back to Yakuza 0 since it got left by the way side or finally play through Persona 4 Golden. I completed Persona 4 back when it first came out in the US, but never got round to playing golden.

That all said, I'm also considering going back to playing Dota 2 as a bit of a break. It's been quite the busy period. I've played far too many long games back to back Tales of Berseria (60 hours), Nioh (50-60hours), BotW (65-70hours), Nier Automata (35hours) and then of course Persona 5. Plus the Kiev Major is on at the moment and that always gets me in the mood to play it.

nOoblet16

Are you playing Golden or the PS2 version? Because I could never go back to the latter but Golden feels perfect to me.
It's Golden but it still lacks a lot of things. For example using each buttons makes it so natural and fast instead of selecting something and then getting a sub menu.

Another thing is whenever you browse between Personas in P5 using L1/R1 after pressing triangle you can see all the abilities they have. To do the same in Persona 5 you have to first go to Persona sub menu then press square to see that persona, if it's not the one you want you have to pull back and press square on another one. If by mistake you press X on any one of them then you are locked out of using any other persona for that turn even if you haven't actually used any of that Persona's ability yet. In P5 even if you switch to a different Persona, as long as you haven't used their abilities you can decide to switch again.

Then there is the healing outside battles, in P4 you have to heal everyone from the ability menu by selecting a healing ability first and then do it individually (until you get a party heals ability). In P5 if you go to stat screen the healing ability is already highlighted but you don't even have to do that, all you do is press square mid gameplay and you are healed up fully.

Basically one of the worst thing about JRPGs is using simplistic menus for complex things which is why it has been cumbersome in so many games. P5 changes it so much by bringing massive QoL changes to the interface and design.

Aki-at

What did people that has already finished the fame feel about
fake Igor explaining that Akechi was supposed to be MC's rival for his game and the person that represented the Holy Grail's side of the battle?

He shared the
Fool arcana with the MC, so it makes sense,
but I kind of felt like
it gives a chance for narrative to say "you see, he was just a victim! He is actually a good guy!"

I never bought any P4 spin off, and I don't have plan to get any Arena / Dancing style spin off either for 5. So I'm not aware of Ultimate trying to redeem Akechi.

Endgame spoilers:
It just showed to me that fake Igor was an even better planner than I thought. Still made Akechi scum and for a game that shows how we hate all these other scumbag, I didn't feel any different with him.

Vanadium

Heh. I've been debating whether I should either go back to Yakuza 0 since it got left by the way side or finally play through Persona 4 Golden. I completed Persona 4 back when it first came out in the US, but never got round to playing golden.

That all said, I'm also considering going back to playing Dota 2 as a bit of a break. It's been quite the busy period. I've played far too many long games back to back Tales of Berseria (60 hours), Nioh (50-60hours), BotW (65-70hours), Nier Automata (35hours) and then of course Persona 5. Plus the Kiev Major is on at the moment and that always gets me in the mood to play it.

Yakuza 0 is a great soft landing after P5. It's weirdly complimentary because all the side mission game are so pick up and play. P4G definitely takes a lot of investment but at least you can carry it with you if you play on Vita,

Top Bottom