• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

The english voices kind of bugged me for the first few hours. Now, 40 hours in, i think it might be the best dub ive ever heard. I have very few complaints about the translation either. For such a massive game they did a great job

It reminded me a lot of DanganRonpa's English dub where the early parts for the performances were rough and kinda stiff but the VO got better and better as the game went on. A Gaffer who did one of the characters said they did it in order of sequence so that explained it. I assume the actual text localization was similar for P5. Altho I guess only Atlus USA can tell us that.

I think the voice talent did a great job with what they were given, for the most part; I don't recall a whole lot of stiffness or awkwardness in the performances. It's nearly entirely in the text. For example, just because "Honestly, I hesitated on accepting someone like you, but there were some circumstances on our side..." doesn't sound awful when spoken, it doesn't mean it's suddenly less awkward English. There's also at least one instance where a voice actor gamely recites a line that most native speakers would catch immediately as a mistake (I think a singular noun was turned into a plural one). It wasn't the "was a scum" line either, which I didn't notice/didn't see in my playthrough.

Generally, everything's understandable, so you're not missing out on the nuts and bolts of the story. But it does pull you out a little every time someone says something that doesn't parse as native spoken English, or parses as something a specific character wouldn't say (ex. when the teenagers use overly formal grammar with one another).

Nose Master

...you can just hold X during the (SL / battle mechanics)
bullet rush
thing? I've been mashing the entire game since I got it.

...you can just hold X during the (SL / battle mechanics)
bullet rush
thing? I've been mashing the entire game since I got it.

Yup. I figured that out after a few rounds of it. In practice, I don't think it matters what you do anyways;
there seems to be a hard cap on how much damage you can do, as a percentage of each enemy's health.

Toki767

There were some lines people were trying to harp on that were actually fine,

early on Kobayakawa says: "Honestly, I hesitated on accepting someone like you, but there were some circumstances on our side..."

Which reads really awkwardly, but when spoken theres noticeable pausing and thinking that makes the line natural.

However other lines even when spoken like "was a scum" still fail.

The voice acting however never stumbles, even the few times an awkward line is spoken. Overall I'd also agree with the person who said that it seems to get better than further you progress. Most of the awkward lines were definitely front loaded.
I know there was one line where someone says something like "It's been a long time since I was here last" and I was thinking while it worked, it would've sounded more natural if they said "It's been a long time since I was last here"

It's mostly just minor things like that though.

The translations ingame and in anime cutscenes, is so awkward.

While the anime cutscenes have no translations at all. Japanese letters everywhere.

Then there are these awkward translation things.

On the principal desk, it reads "Principal", while on the SIU desk, it is still in moonrunes.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Can't wait to dig into the game at the end of the month.

I just found it interesting someone in the bitching about the localization thread that they butchered the characters personalities compared to the JP version but it doesn't seem to be the case, thankfully

gryvan

Going from hard to merciless mode feels like im being forced to grind to not get wrecked in the first area...I also realized demon negotiation is hard as fuck early in the game due to triple damage on crits....aka they instantly die before getting dazed

Dark_castle

You leave the Metaverse by crossing the same spot where you got in. They say that in the beginning of the game when Ryuji and MC bring Ann back and it's how you leave Palaces during gameplay. So the idea was that the phone would bring both Sae and Akechi to the Metaverse, then he'd kill cognitive police agent and cognitive MC, then he'd go back and return to the Real World once he crosses the spot where he met Sae.

On the other hand, Sae would hear Futaba's messages while in the Metaverse.
Then go back to talk to MC. Heading to the Interrogation Room meant she would leave the Metaverse by crossing the spot he used to enter and meet real MC

You can ask Futaba for extra information about the plan.
Dudeee I finally fully understand what went down. Thanks for the explanation.

Zesh

Going from hard to merciless mode feels like im being forced to grind to not get wrecked in the first area...I also realized demon negotiation is hard as fuck early in the game due to triple damage on crits....aka they instantly die before getting dazed
This is exactly why I deemed Merciless to not be worth it and switched to Hard. No regrets; it was a much better experience.

LiK

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Can't wait to dig into the game at the end of the month.

I just found it interesting someone in the bitching about the localization thread that they butchered the characters personalities compared to the JP version but it doesn't seem to be the case, thankfully

Some people are more sensitive about it than others but honestly, if it was horrible, I would've acknowledged it but it wasn't bad at all. The English VO def saves any awkward lines.

Rodin

Btw, to add to one of my previous posts, the best thing about
Rafael
is that he can deal >1000 phys damage with only 50hp thanks to one of his abilities (can't remember the name right now). It's ridiculous.

Lol, that's an interesting encounter. Only super Yoshitsune can help you there.
More like Black Frost, Mabufudyne the shit out of them

duckroll

Day before Hawaii school trip, stuck eternally in Mementos. I don't think I'm leaving until I have the materials to make an Eternal Lockpick. RIP me.

ch4fx_

Also, where can I get SP recovery items?

Check vending machines. I know there's one right across from Leblanc's coffee shop (beside the bathhouse & laundromat) that sells SP recovery items. They're really cheap, but you can only buy a few at a time once a week.

Day before Hawaii school trip, stuck eternally in Mementos. I don't think I'm leaving until I have the materials to make an Eternal Lockpick. RIP me.
the lowest floor that anubis spawns on often has double anubis encounters. Once you clear the floor you can use fast travel to exit the floor and then just reenter. Took me like 15 minutes to get enough materials.

gryvan

I personally wasnt worried about eternal lockpick because actually making lockpicks on spare nights helped increase proficiency which i needed badly...

It's on PSN right now. Just bought more costume DLC. Lol
DAN is the first I've bought. Figured since I was originally only going to buy Catherine, and know that I will be done with the game by the time that hits, I'd mess around the rest of my NG+ run with swimsuits and dance outfits. Haru's DAN outfit is pretty amazing anyway

While the anime cutscenes have no translations at all. Japanese letters everywhere.

That I get, having the animation team go back and replace all the signage with English translations would be time-consuming and expensive for not much gain, given that the vast majority of that signage isn't important to the plot at all. Plus, it's not as simple as just replacing text; there's a design aspect that doesn't exist in the same way when translating subtitled text. Imagine creating an English version of this:

UFEmLY1.png

FluxWaveZ

That I get, having the animation team go back and replace all the signage with English translations would be time-consuming and expensive for not much gain, given that the vast majority of that signage isn't important to the plot at all. Plus, it's not as simple as just replacing text; there's a design aspect that doesn't exist in the same way when translating subtitled text. Imagine creating an English version of this:

UFEmLY1.png

Easy: A column of captions. Anime subs do this often.

It's not aesthetically great, but when it comes to scenes where the Japanese text is obviously important to the context or story, it's better than nothing.

ACE 1991

Almost done the first palace and I feel like I have no idea how to properly prioritize how I should be spending my time outside of the palaces.

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah it's goofy as shit how many scenes like zoom in and stare at Japanese text that they didn't even bother to subtitle things. One thing if it's like a random store sign on screen for half a second, another when it's the focal point of the camera for a while.

Mediking

DAN is the first I've bought. Figured since I was originally only going to buy Catherine, and know that I will be done with the game by the time that hits, I'd mess around the rest of my NG+ run with swimsuits and dance outfits. Haru's DAN outfit is pretty amazing anyway

Ohhhh nice. :)

I've been buying all the costume DLC as they release. Lol. I like 'em all but SMTIV and Karukozaka High uniforms are becoming my favorite.

Ok thanks! Thought I was missing something lol.

When do I start getting the Auto magic attacks?

Also, where can I get SP recovery items? Just figured out you can make coffee at Leblanc for some which is super helpful but takes time to do. Are there any stores to buy them other than the 5sp items?

Im still early in the game but you can find SP recovery items from the following vending machines:

- School courtyard
- Vending machine outside the bath house
- Vending machine by the fortune teller

Mediking

Almost done the first palace and I feel like I have no idea how to properly prioritize how I should be spending my time outside of the palaces.

Just have fun. Please don't get too wrapped up in the stats and other stuff. Just do activities YOU wanna do. The game is much more fun that way, in my opinion.

Jiraiza

Yeah it's goofy as shit how many scenes like zoom in and stare at Japanese text that they didn't even bother to subtitle things. One thing if it's like a random store sign on screen for half a second, another when it's the focal point of the camera for a while.

*cough*

Atlus knows what to prioritize.

LotusHD

Banned
Localization is actually one of Atlus' worst and decent to good at best. It's just that it's functional enough so that you won't notice issues unless you're looking for them in most cases.

I don't even look for them, and they've slowly gotten harder to ignore.

The most hilarious ones are whenever they're scolding the Shadows. They tend to use the most grandiose and superfluous words. A recent highlight was the use of the phrase "stairway of sin". I'm like... sure.

Opa-Pa

I don't even look for them, and they've slowly gotten harder to ignore.

The most hilarious ones are whenever they're scolding the Shadows. They tend to use the most grandiose and superfluous words. A recent highlight was the use of the phrase "stairway of sin". I'm like... sure.

No joke. I thought they were being nitpicky with the bad translation examples at first, but then I went to twitter and found threads with like 60 examples, some of which weren't just awkward, but straight up broken english.

Worst part is that once you see too much of those, it's impossible to not start noticing them everywhere. Just yesterday I accepted a Mementos request about a girl being abused by her parents, and Makoto said "We must release her from her current state!" like... Ok.

And I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the bad localization probably dumbed down most characters' charm either. There's an example in the thread where someone lists like five Morgana lines, asking players to guess who says which without disclosing they're all Morgana, and having played like 90 hours at the time, I couldn't tell who the hell it was for any of them lmao, that's goddamn tragic.

I think it's fansubbed anime tier, and it's no wonder so many people see it as alright, I mean, anime fansubs have lowered the standards of what to expect from jp to en translations quite a lot.

PK Gaming

Here's a thought

Do you think Atlus will redub most of P5 when they re-translate the game for the inevitable P5 remake? I'm split on the possibility myself; there are way too many lines, and there's always the possibility that they'll only touch unvoiced lines.

Opa-Pa

Here's a thought

Do you think Atlus will redub most of P5 when they re-translate the game for the inevitable P5 remake? I'm split on the possibility myself; there are way too many lines, and there's always the possibility that they'll only touch unvoiced lines.

I think the very fact that so many of the awkward lines are voiced is reason enough for them not to bother retranslating it at all. The sheer amount of lines that need to be edited would turn a relatively simple localization process in basically localizing the whole thing a second time.

duckroll

Here's a thought

You're pretty funny. Ever considered a career as a stand up comedian?

Having back to back scenes of Kawakami making it obvious I can doss in class followed immediately by her social link related "look how good a teacher she is today!" scene, perfect.

Alucrid

Banned
Here's a thought

seems like a lot of work for the ouya port

ShadyK54

Palace 5 is cool so far. Really like the setting of it with the
spaceport
and all.

Also downloaded the Makoto theme/avatar set, but had to put in my Paypal information because it still keeps telling me my card information is invalid, which is weird. The theme is pretty awesome, though.

LotusHD

Banned
No joke. I thought they were being nitpicky with the bad translation examples at first, but then I went to twitter and found threads with like 60 examples, some of which weren't just awkward, but straight up broken english.

Worst part is that once you see too much of those, it's impossible to not start noticing them everywhere. Just yesterday I accepted a Mementos request about a girl being abused by her parents, and Makoto said "We must release her from her current state!" like... Ok.

And I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the bad localization probably dumbed down most characters' charm either. There's an example in the thread where someone lists like five Morgana lines, asking players to guess who says which without disclosing they're all Morgana, and having played like 90 hours at the time, I couldn't tell who the hell it was for any of them lmao, that's goddamn tragic.

I think it's fansubbed anime tier, and it's no wonder so many people see it as alright, I mean, anime fansubs have lowered the standards of what to expect from jp to en translations quite a lot.

Yes to all of this.

I used to see it as being just fine myself, and that's in spite of the fact that the last game I played was NieR: Automata, where its localization/dub was more than excellent. I thought "Meh, seems par for the course for the most part, I'm still enjoying the game." But I'm 90 hours in, and yea, my opinion regarding the localization/script has greatly soured, to the point where I can now easily understand why it's getting such harsh criticism, why people feel such an anticipated game deserves much better, etc.

RalchAC

Yes to all of this.

I used to see it as being just fine myself, and that's in spite of the fact that the last game I played was NieR: Automata, where its localization/dub was more than excellent. I thought "Meh, seems par for the course for the most part, I'm still enjoying the game." But I'm 90 hours in, and yea, my opinion regarding the localization/script has greatly soured, to the point where I can now easily understand why it's getting such harsh criticism, why people feel such an anticipated game deserves much better, etc.

I think this is where my English knowledge may feel a bit lacking TBH. Maybe because I'm not a native speaker, when I see a lot of those lines I just don't notice them. Maybe it doesn't flow as well as it should, maybe there is something about how it's structured that is wrong, but most of the time I just don't notice it.

Top Bottom