• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

protonion

Finally got it.

Just finished the first palace. Everything went smoothly. Incredible game. The presentation is out of this world.

A couple of questions.

- Is there a reason not to sell all treasure?

-The hold up... Why should I go for an all out attack ever? Unless there is an exp penalty I missed.

Finally got it.

Just finished the first palace. Everything went smoothly. Incredible game. The presentation is out of this world.

A couple of questions.

-The hold up... Why should I go for an all out attack ever? Unless there is an exp penalty I missed.

1. Sell away.

2. There is an exp penalty for enemies you don't kill during a hold-up. That and talking to every shadow for money, recruiting, items would take forever.

mrmickfran

Finally got it.

A couple of questions.

-Sell away

-All out attack is just a super move, a faster way to kill enemies.

vypek

Ann
Sexy talk
Mara

This game is dropping hints.

And in the first dungeon the torn king of desire stares at Ann for some of its moves.

Finally got it.

A couple of questions.

All out attack does massive damage. If you want to kill mobs that you don't need something from or just to deal incredible damage to bosses it makes sense to go for an all out attack. I'm not sure if anything related to experience takes place like giving more for using it.

1. Sell away.

2. There is an exp penalty for enemies you don't kill during a hold-up. That and talking to every shadow for money, recruiting, items would take forever.

Does it actively reduce experience if someone gets up from the hold up or penalty in the sense that you don't get as much as you could have if you wiped everyone out with an all out?

EDIT: Answer below seems to explain it

Finally got it.

A couple of questions.

Always sell treasure. No gotchas there.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but in my experience, you use an all-out attack when you have multiple enemies still alive and you're trying to maximize XP. Choosing the negotiation options will net you XP for any enemies you killed plus the one you're negotiating with, but will NOT get you XP for any other enemies you leave alive and escape alongside the one you talk to.

If you only have one enemy alive when you get to the hold-up, you pretty much always want to negotiate unless you're extremely concerned about what happens if negotiations fail (i.e. you're facing a really strong enemy that you don't want to have to fight normally, or you're about to die). These cases are relatively few and far between, but they do happen.

You also lose out on the money you'd normally get from any enemies you let escape, including the one you negotiate with, but since you're probably negotiating for money most of the time, this tends not to be an issue--the money that one demon hands over usually more than offsets what you lost by not completing the fight normally.

vypek

Isn't the first treasure required to be sold for story reasons anyway?

Thats the first palace treasure which is required to sell I think but that poster probably mean treasure you naturally steal that is littered around a dungeon. The glowing yellow treasure

Hylian7

Crafting a certain mid-game item:
Eternal Lockpick: What's the best floor/set of floors in Mementos to find Aluminum Sheets and Liquid Mercury. I'm short 2 Aluminum Sheets and I think 5 Liquid Mercury.

Isn't the first treasure required to be sold for story reasons anyway?

Nope! The reason you're in the store is because
Ryuji wants to buy guns
. I'm pretty sure you can completely avoid selling treasures if you wanted to.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean the actual actual treasure, not the random trinkets. Never mind.

Does it actively reduce experience if someone gets up from the hold up or penalty in the sense that you don't get as much as you could have if you wiped everyone out with an all out?

The latter, if you recruit a demon or get an item for them causing them and there companions to leave you get less experience and money. Them getting up after a failed attempt has no penalty aside from them attacking you. However if you kill them or all-out attack them you get the full amount. It also works part-ways if you kill 3 out of 4 enemies and then you recruit the 4th enemy you get the full amount for the 3 you killed.

Note: I could be wrong about all this, but just noting observations from my playthrough.

Jachaos

Does an All-Out Attack not also reduce your wanted level in a Palace or did I finish the game imagining that all the way through? I know an Ambush does, and I thought an All-Out Attack added to that.

vypek

The latter, if you recruit a demon or get an item for them causing them and there companions to leave you get less experience and money. Them getting up after a failed attempt has no penalty aside from them attacking you. However if you kill them or all-out attack them you get the full amount. It also works part-ways if you kill 3 out of 4 enemies and then you recruit the 4th enemy you get the full amount for the 3 you killed.

Note: I could be wrong about all this, but just noting observations from my playthrough.

Ah okay. Thank you

I believe you lose the money from the demon you negotiated with, but not the XP. When I negotiated with single-shadow spawns, I'd still get XP from those encounters, and when comparing the same spawns but negotiating in some instances (ex. three Pixies, all-out attack vs. negotiation), the XP I'd get from the all-out attack would be an exact multiple of the XP I'd get from negotiating with one of the shadows and letting everyone else escape.

Ferrio

Banned
You need a lot of money for a ton of things in the game anyway, so if you don't break the money system early in the game, you're going to be annoyed anyway. The economy isn't particularly unbalanced towards Persona cost at all.

It's not just Mementos either, it's about know how to get the most out of the options in the game. Doing the Sun Confidant early on is the best way to maximize the amount of money you can get from a given run in a Palace or in Mementos. It's all about the shake down. Hold them up and keep pressing them!

I don't understand the Sun stuff. It seems the 3rd rank made shaking down enemies *worse*. Before you could shake down until they got fed up and repeat until rich, now sometimes it's 1 shake down and that's it (atleast if the text is red)? I wish I could have skipped over rank 3.

Dark_castle

I feel I don't really relate to the common criticism that the palaces are too long and stuff. I just beat palace 7. Maybe because I was quite overleveled and most enemies are instantly skipped, it wasn't really that long imo. I liked long dungeons because it made it seem like a bigger obstacle after finally reaching the end and meeting the bad guy.

Toki767

I feel I don't really relate to the common criticism that the palaces are too long and stuff. I just beat palace 7. Maybe because I was quite overleveled and most enemies are instantly skipped, it wasn't really that long imo. I liked long dungeons because it made it seem like a bigger obstacle after finally reaching the end and meeting the bad guy.

I'm curious if people just thought it was too long because they had trouble with the fights or because they had trouble with the puzzles.

It's like, 5 was not as long as people were saying either.

Opa-Pa

Crafting a certain mid-game item:
Eternal Lockpick: What's the best floor/set of floors in Mementos to find Aluminum Sheets and Liquid Mercury. I'm short 2 Aluminum Sheets and I think 5 Liquid Mercury.

Floors 10 and 11 of Akzeriyyuth for liquid mercury. I know aluminum sheets are ground items in Mementos, but I'm not sure on which floors.

Question: Can you register skill cards like in P4G?

No but you can clone them endlessly for free. It takes a day each and you need to unlock a confidant perk for it though.

I'm curious if people just thought it was too long because they had trouble with the fights or because they had trouble with the puzzles.

It's like, 5 was not as long as people were saying either.

I read someone the other day imply that they had limited themselves to the dice game to get coins for the first goal... Yeah. No wonder some people hated it lmao.

Personally it was my favorite.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol sorry guys confused the palace owner's treasure with the treasures that you pick up in the palace.

ChrisD

So I bought more music on iTunes because I'm weak (though not weak enough for costume DLC :p). And you know what, poor English is just part of Persona's DNA, but dang it everything is so clear in Rivers in the Desert until the titular bit

RIVERS
IN THE
DEEEEESUUUUUHHHRRRRRRRR
t

I was impressed with the fact I could actually understand the words without too much trouble. Then that bit hits, and without lyrics in front of me I don't think I'd hear what's supposed to be there lol.

Griss

One thing I don't get is the complaints regarding money.

I'm at or near the end of the game and have 900k yen - that's having done the Strength arcana (which costs a fair bit) and having never once grinded anything.

If you
a) Never upgrade your guns (why would you for the first 80% of the game - they're just a weakness hitter at that stage)
b) Get your armour upgrades naturally in palaces and mementos as you go through them, and
c) Only focus on upgrading the main weapons for your main 4 characters you like to use...

Then you'll be overflowing with money. I honestly never had a problem with any of it, and I bought 4 SP-granting thingies as soon as I could, too. By the end I was able to buy whatever I wanted, but at that stage the stuff I had found was already better.

I just got a King Frost but can across one with much better abilities.

If I try to recruit him, he'll just give me an item, right? And won't offer to replace the other?

Edit: Or wait -- do Demons you fight sometimes have less abilities when they turn into masks?

daveo42

Banned
Money is easy to get, at least in normal. The only issue I had was running out of money at the end of the game building up my compendium. I blew 1.7mil on higher level fusions and rebuys from the compendium. Making Yoshitsune can cost quite a pretty penny.

If I try to recruit him, he'll just give me an item, right? And won't offer to replace the other?

Correct. You would need to get rid of your King Frost first before trying to recruit another one.

Opa-Pa

Funny you guys talk about money now because I'm in the last stretch and struggling a lot.

Most of my available fusions are higher levels, and I still can't afford the high level fusion fees. Enemies give good money but not really enough for grinding not to take hours... So I'm debating if I should bother at all. Maybe I should just tackle the final boss (es?) as is.

Yeah, only way is to get rid of the one you have beforehand.

Did you find them in the same area? I've been wondering if you get them with their full set at all. I honestly doubt it because I've come across lots of demons with all of their skills but none of the ones I've recruited have had them all, so I suspect thay King Frost will just be the same.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I'm at or near the end of the game and have 900k yen - that's having done the Strength arcana (which costs a fair bit) and having never once grinded anything.

If you
a) Never upgrade your guns (why would you for the first 80% of the game - they're just a weakness hitter at that stage)
b) Get your armour upgrades naturally in palaces and mementos as you go through them, and
c) Only focus on upgrading the main weapons for your main 4 characters you like to use...

Then you'll be overflowing with money. I honestly never had a problem with any of it, and I bought 4 SP-granting thingies as soon as I could, too. By the end I was able to buy whatever I wanted, but at that stage the stuff I had found was already better.

You are right about the gun thing. They usually aren't worth it. Just make sure the guns you do have equipped have high accuracy and clip size.

You can buy armor for at least half of your team without breaking the bank.

Buy only 4 sp regens and just switch them out to other party members when you reorganize your team.

Or just do the mementos trick like me and have so much money I bought everything available so far and still have 5+ mil in July.

Opa-Pa

I don't believe you

Hah, no way to prove this was the first time, but it did happen!

Dap1jAj.jpg

PK Gaming

So I finally beat it. I'll post a review later, but to keep it short:

• The gameplay was fantastic, and a huge improvement from 3 and 4. Dungeons were a high point instead of obstacles to quickly get through, character building was deeply satisfying and pretty much on the level of megaten games. Confidant abilities were brilliant.
  • The main cast was fantastic. Each of them were distinct and memorable, and the supporting cast was very strong this time around.
  • The narrative was good. Nowhere near top class stuff, but it was ambitious and had things to say (even if the writing generally lacked subtlety, haha).
  • The pacing was definitely flawed, especially towards the end. The game took to much time conveying points at times, and it could use some trimming down.
All in all, i'd say P5 ranks up there as one of my favorite games of all time. It's got definite flaws, but the overall package is solid and the ending is kickass in its own right.

Relative to the other Persona games, i'd probably rank it like so:

P5 > P4G >>> P3P >>>P3FES > P1 > P2EP > P2IS

Splinter

I'm at the point where Igor teaches me to fuse Personas, problem is I only have two persons, Arsene and Pixie. I'd prefer not to lose Arsene since he seems like an important character. I tried backing out but I'm unable to. Is there any way to back out without fusing? Am I supposed to fuse Arsene? Can I unfuse them later?

If you

Before I did the mementos grind I also finished the game with ¥950,000. Although I didn't buy much weapons from Iwai; I opted to itemize beast ass peronas.

Guess Who

Banned
I'm at the point where Igor teaches me to fuse Personas, problem is I only have two persons, Arsene and Pixie. I'd prefer not to lose Arsene since he seems like an important character. I tried backing out but I'm unable to. Is there any way to back out without fusing? Am I supposed to fuse Arsene? Can I unfuse them later?

You can get Arsene back if you really want to from the Compendium, but the point of them making you fuse him here is to tell you that you shouldn't get too attached to your Personas and should fuse them for more powerful ones when needed.

RDreamer

Arsene is not an important character. Fuse away. I think the game is trying to teach you straight up don't get attached to personas. You get better skills by fusing not by sticking with one for a while.

You can get him back later if you want, but there's really no point.

Arsene is not important just fuse him.

zulux21

holy crap at the bad ending
after palace 6 lol.

I was curious,
now I gotta reload and not go down that route lol.

also boo hiss at unskipable end credits.

anyways can go into new game plus after
67 hours and 20 min :p

wmlk

Anything I miss from just doing OK on midterms?

I didn't devote any time to studying and it looks like it bit me in the ass...

Top Bottom