• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

MoonFrog

I had both Ann and Makoto in my main party and Ann definitely surpasses Makoto in sheer damage. Couple that with her high SP pool and she's just a way better damage dealer. In the end I used Makoto for Marakukaja and healing.

Diarahan. Ann is a damage dealer imo. Leave the dealing to people that actually have Mediarahan. Or Tarunda since you can get Debilitate with the MC.

Yeah. Ann was damage/matarunda/sleep. Didn't mean to dispute that. Hence switching her with Morgana for debuffing or when I didn't need two healers.

I'm just saying I found Makoto more useful because Marakukaja and aoe heals are great. They also eat a lot of magic.

Especially when you have debilitate on MC, matarunda is less important and Ann doesn't need that SP pool so much.

Basically, she has Yukiko's SP pool without needing it for healing. I'd have rather had that pool on Makoto as a result. That's what I mean to say.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Question on 12/24:
Can I leave the depths and chill with a Confidant and come back another day? I'm one chillsesh away from max rank with Ryuji and I'd like to do that, but the "FEW" is throwing me off

ramyeon

Question on 12/24:
Can I leave the depths and chill with a Confidant and come back another day? I'm one chillsesh away from max rank with Ryuji and I'd like to do that, but the "FEW" is throwing me off
No you can't.
You're at the point of no return, the cut off date for confidants has passed.

Astral

Yeah. Ann was damage/matarunda/sleep. Didn't mean to dispute that. Hence switching her with Morgana for debuffing or when I didn't need two healers.

I'm just saying I found Makoto more useful because Marakukaja and aoe heals are great. They also eat a lot of magic.

Especially when you have debilitate on MC, matarunda is less important and Ann doesn't need that SP pool so much.

Basically, she has Yukiko's SP pool without needing it for healing. I'd have rather had that pool on Makoto as a result. That's what I mean to say.

And I completely agree. By the end of the game it was Makoto constantly running low on SP because she was attacking with magic, buffing everyone, and healing everyone. Then there's Atomic Flare lol. Not sure that was worth it.

_Ryo_

Question on 12/24:

No. Confidants are over.

Soooo just finished up the Hawaii trip
I got contacted by Ryuji/Mishima, Makoto, and Hifumi to hang out? What do you guys thin the best scene was? I'm thinking the Ryuji/Mishima one? Also going through the portion of the game where Morgana is being a little pu$$y lol but it kind of feels like I'm nearing the end of the game which sucks because I haven't even maxed out a confidant yet.

pixxxelz

It took me a few hours at best for all four Network Fusion exclusive abilities. I got Soul Chain randomly at some point early in the game and never even realized it. Some people have worst luck, though.
Damn, a few hours! I have no patience for stuff like this lol, the only reason I have almighty amp is because I got it randomly from one of the first personas I fused, I really want to make an almighty persona though so I'll give it a shot once I unlock network fusion in ng+.
I'll end up giving up after a few tries I just know it...

November spoilers.
I love how straightforward palace six was. I think there's only one Palace left? How is Palace seven? Is it straightforward, or is it filled with backtracking and tedious door puzzles like Palace five was?

ramyeon

November spoilers.
I love how straightforward palace six was. I think there's only one Palace left? How is Palace seven? Is it straightforward, or is it filled with backtracking and tedious door puzzles like Palace five was?
It is full of puzzles, although minimal backtracking. It repeats the main puzzle a few times. Some people hate it, I found it fairly well paced and enjoyed the puzzle parts.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Palace 5 isn't so bad---heard a lot of people complaining about it.

Worst thing so far are those enemies that can suck up 30 SP from you, but then I just go back to the first save and fight the black slimes for a bit on auto as they soak up damage and barely do any to you in return---with the SP Adhesives I was good to in a matter of minutes.

duckroll

Worst thing so far are those enemies that can suck up 30 SP from you, but then I just go back to the first save and fight the black slimes for a bit on auto as they soak up damage and barely do any to you in return---with the SP Adhesives I was good to in a matter of minutes.

I'm 83 hours in, in the late parts of Palace 6, and I'm still waiting for the game/dungeon/pacing/whatever to "go to shit" like some people promised.

Splinter

Any tips on approaching the second palace (Madarame's)? Anything I should do to prepare? It's 5/18 and I am about to start it (I already did the initial venture into it, with no enemies), I have 18 days until the exhibit ends. I'm level 12 (33 hours in) my persona is a level 13 Onmoraki. I have upgraded protection and melee weapons.

What should my time frame look like? Finish it ASAP? Should I do some Mamentos runs first?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
And I completely agree. By the end of the game it was Makoto constantly running low on SP because she was attacking with magic, buffing everyone, and healing everyone. Then there's Atomic Flare lol. Not sure that was worth it.

Severe-class magic is a waste of time. They look cool but that's about it. They eat too much SP for a damage increase that is very insignificant. If you want to use them, use them on the MC only because he's the only one capable of pairing them up with Spellmaster.

Don't give Makoto Atomic Flare, it's incredibly wasteful.

Also, despite her having the largest SP pool in the game,,Makoto is not that great of a spell caster so when you fight bosses, for example, it would be best to just make her a Mediarahan/Marakujaja machine and for attacking instead of using Frei spells just use her usual melee punches and kicks. Her best weapon gives her high crit rate with high attack power, so imo it'd be better to just do that

Any tips on approaching the second palace (Madarame's)? Anything I should do to prepare? It's 5/18 and I am about to start it (I already did the initial venture into it, with no enemies), I have 18 days until the exhibit ends. I'm level 12 (33 hours in) my persona is a level 13 Onmoraki. I have upgraded protection and melee weapons.

What should my time frame look like? Finish it ASAP? Should I do some Mamentos runs first?

The palace itself is nothing too special, however the boss might give you tons of headache if you don't adequately prepare. You will need Ann to learn Dekaja, Morgana to learn Media, and (preferably) Ryuji to learn Rampage to make it easier.

MoonFrog

?! I had Spirit Choker on Makoto and both she and Ann had like 300 sp. I'm confused now. Maybe Ann had up Sp gear on lol? I'll have to look at the armor I put on Ann.

Kalnos

Banned

Palace 5 is only truly guilty of having really annoying music. Such a step down from 4. 6 is a return to greatness though!

EDIT: Palace 5 does have the funny dialog of "the treasure is just past this door" only to go on for like 3 more hours.

PK Gaming

The input for the last part is so goddamn annoying lol.

The only game where I use the cheating book. Just use it, whether you use it or not doesn't have an impact on the rewards you get for finishing it, anyways.

Morgana will never respect you again, though

The most severe loss of all

Lunar15

I'm 83 hours in, in the late parts of Palace 6, and I'm still waiting for the game/dungeon/pacing/whatever to "go to shit" like some people promised.

7 is a tad longer than i'd like, but it's a fun bunch of minibosses too.

I dunno, 5 was a bit longer than i'd like too, but this also all feels very classic SMT. It hasn't bothered me. Helps that you can max a ton of confidants in the last few months and the story gets way more interesting.

For the most part I think it's fine to skip the anime, but there's one episode in particular that is basically the most adorable episode ever and actually now that I'm reminded of it I might go home tonight and watch it.

It's the episode where Yu does a whole bunch of social links during the summer and Nanako follows him around in her detective getup, SO CUTE

just watch the king's game clip from the P4 anime and you are good for everything it has to offer

Another scene I liked from the anime is the fight against Margaret.

The way that the anime represents the True End is also super good. The P4 anime is fucking atrocious in some ways - like it can barely be called animation - but in some ways it is really brilliant. I'll never get over how it managed to elevate Yu from a blank slate to a coherent, lovable character with just a few minor changes. It retroactively makes the game even better than it was by casting the game's events in that light.

As an anime, it's a pile of burning garbage, but as a supplement to Persona 4, it's a delicious treat.

Bladenic

I CANT EVEN GET THE GODDAMN FIRST LEVEL INPUT WTF FUCK FIGHTING GAMES AND WHOEVER INVENTED THEM THE FUCK

I got the arrows blinked up but they disappeared before I pressed X, fuck you atlus

Ferrio

Banned
Spoiler for practically every rank 10 confidant:

Having everyone know you're The Phantom Thief seems really stupid.

I disagree

You've built your friendship up with them enough that you trust them with the truth. Makes sense that it'd be the last straw to get max social link.

MoonFrog

Plot pacing goes to shit (imo) after that dungeon. The plot of palace 7 is largely info dumping and beyond that, while the ending act makes sense, it feels like it is forced too soon.

I think end of palace 6 going into 7 is good. It just feels they rushed the entire mental shutdown plot they had lightly stewing in the background too fast. Should've brought more of it in earlier and expanded on it. There are a couple characters connected to it that I wish had more of a story. Those being
Sojiro and Futaba/her mom. Akechi and Shido have a mostly complete story, just super condensed

I don't think the dungeons ever go to shit. I didn't like dungeon 8 as well, but it is not shit imo.

But tbh, I think the game hits all the sorts of palaces you'd want in that sort of escapade. I think the targets are fairly strong too. And I think the gameplay/artistic direction really feeds into the phantom thieves story. I just wish the actual story of the game had stuck the landing completely, but the game does very well with being its sort of fiction.

PK Gaming

C-_yZmvXsAAnpoa.jpg

MoonFrog

Okay looking in my inventory on my third playthrough, an empathy cape was the cause of my confusion. I just sort of threw the gear I had on my first playthrough and went for it because I wanted max time/money for doing the social links and grinding the compendium at the end.

So Makoto had more magic than Ann for me, but I thought it was because one of the things I did change was to buff her SP with a Spirit Choker, while, in reality, Ann was also buffed by the Empathy Cape.

Sorry for spreading misinformation.

Atlantis

Also, despite her having the largest SP pool in the game,,Makoto is not that great of a spell caster so when you fight bosses, for example, it would be best to just make her a Mediarahan/Marakujaja machine and for attacking instead of using Frei spells just use her usual melee punches and kicks. Her best weapon gives her high crit rate with high attack power, so imo it'd be better to just do that.

Really? I have a +5 MAG gun on her so she's been a competent spellcaster for most of the game. (I'm just about to start the seventh palace). Not quite as good as Ann but very similar to Morgana. She also had a +3 STR knuckle from the Airsoft Shop that carried her through the mid-game with Flash Bomb. Her and Ann have been my staple party members for a long time.

Sad to see the Severe-level spell problem from P4 wasn't fixed. Oh well.

Astral

I happily spammed Blazing Hell on the final boss with Ann lol. It ate the fuck out of my SP though. Almost had to use two Somas.

Opa-Pa

Post Persona emptiness has hit so hard, I don't think I've felt like this since probably the time I finished vanilla P4. I really don't feel like playing anything else, but I've been to exhausted from work to sit on the couch to play this again too.

Right now I'm trying to fill the void with female route of P3P and getting back to my abandoned EO Untold playthrough, but it's tough. And to think I expected this game to disappoint...

I need to get back to Yakuza 4 later too tough, hopefully that should help me move on. And I have to grab Automata too!

I swear every time I find some silly P5 thing on twitter and think of sharing it here, you already did haha.

Okay looking in my inventory on my third playthrough, an empathy cape was the cause of my confusion. I just sort of threw the gear I had on my first playthrough and went for it because I wanted max time/money for doing the social links and grinding the compendium at the end.

So Makoto had more magic than Ann for me, but I thought it was because one of the things I did change was to buff her SP with a Spirit Choker, while, in reality, Ann was also buffed by the Empathy Cape.

Sorry for spreading misinformation.

I figured something was off. Makoto was a pretty competent mage for me when she wasn't doing support but never better than Ann, who's kind of a beast. Still pretty cool that you can improve her so much with equipment though, I need to try that next playthrough because I felt kinda bad relegating her to mediarahan/marakukaja/dekunda only.

Croc

Banned
Palace 4 spoilers
I like how when you beat Futaba's Palace early she still is asleep the whole time between then and the end date. I beat it with 20 days left so she just slept for almost 3 weeks straight lol.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Really? I have a +5 MAG gun on her so she's been a competent spellcaster for most of the game. (I'm just about to start the seventh palace). Not quite as good as Ann but very similar to Morgana. She also had a +3 STR knuckle from the Airsoft Shop that carried her through the mid-game with Flash Bomb. Her and Ann have been my staple party members for a long time.

Sad to see the Severe-level spell problem from P4 wasn't fixed. Oh well.

Her stat is very balanced with a slight edge to Magic, similar to Haru (only Haru has a slight edge to Strength), so yeah Makoto is really the jack of all trades of the team, not really specializing in one thing unlike Ann or Ryuji but more versatile in more situations.

Well not to say that she's a *bad* spell caster or physical attacker tho. Especially if you equip her with her best gun which will give her +10 bonus to all stats (the best weapon in the game in terms of boosts, not even Joker's weapons have that kind of boosts, lol). ATLUS gave her that gun maybe to overcompensate her general roundness? Probably.

VRMN

Palace 4 spoilers
I like how when you beat Futaba's Palace early she still is asleep the whole time between then and the end date. I beat it with 20 days left so she just slept for almost 3 weeks straight lol.
Yeah, that's almost a throwback to Persona 4 where the amount of time needed to see the results is inverse to the priority you gave the dungeon. Left Yukiko in the TV world for three weeks while you goof off with Chie? She's better almost immediately. Rescue her on day one? Three weeks of recovery.

Atlantis

Her stat is very balanced with a slight edge to Magic, similar to Haru (only Haru has a slight edge to Strength), so yeah Makoto is really the jack of all trades of the team, not really specializing in one thing unlike Ann or Ryuji but more versatile in more situations.

Well not to say that she's a *bad* spell caster or physical attacker tho. Especially if you equip her with her best gun which will give her +10 bonus to all stats (the best weapon in the game in terms of boosts, not even Joker's weapons has that kind of boosts, lol). ATLUS gave her that gun maybe to overcompensate her general roundness? Probably.

I've found her to be the jack of all trades and master of ALL really. She's had the best equipment options of the entire party thus far. (I'm not using a guide though, so I may have missed some)

With STR boosting equipment and Auto-Tarkukaja, she made the mid game dungeons a breeze and now she's moved into a caster role with her gun. Can't believe she has +10 to all stats waiting for her.

If you're looking for a Physical murder machine you probably want Yoshitsune and Hassou Tobi and (Str / Agi ) / End (or Luk if you want to try to for Crits but Hassou Tobi has a really low critical rate and massive damage anyways so not really recommended).

A specially built Kaguya is about the only thing that comes close in murder ability and that's a magic build.

Yoshitsune/Hassou Tobi is the top tier again? Zzzzz.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I've found her to be the jack of all trades and master of ALL really. She's had the best equipment options of the entire party thus far. (I'm not using a guide though, so I may have missed some)

With STR boosting equipment and Auto-Tarkukaja, she made the mid game dungeons a breeze and now she's moved into a caster role with her gun. Can't believe she has +10 to all stats waiting for her.

Well she can't deal damage as high as Ann or Ryuji, but yes, no matter how you want to make up for your party, you will have much more of an advantage if you opt to put her in instead of someone else.

Oh she doesn't have Auto-Tarukaja, she has Auto-Rakukaja, tho I would recommend just ditch Defense Master since the MC can have Auto-Mataru/Maraku anyways and it's kinda useless in any prolonged fights.

Gojeran

Very end of the game help!!

Trying to meet all the people before leaving and I still have a tag in Shibuya but I can't find that person anywhere!! I've walked all over multi times and yet when I return to the Cafe Mona asks me if I'm really sure I want to leave before saying goodbye to everyone. I didn't max everyone's rank but the person I did max who I haven't found is Ryuji. Where is this last person hiding? It's driving me crazy

Atlantis

Well she can't deal damage as high as Ann or Ryuji, but yes, no matter how you want to make up for your party, you will have much more of an advantage if you opt to put her in instead of someone else.

Oh she doesn't have Auto-Tarukaja, she has Auto-Rakukaja, tho I would recommend just ditch Defense Master since the MC can have Auto-Mataru/Maraku anyways and it's kinda useless in any prolonged fights.

Auto-Tarukaja was due to an accessory.

Poor Ryuji really needed to learn Charge earlier. He's been sidelined forever.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Very end of the game help!!

Trying to meet all the people before leaving and I still have a tag in Shibuya but I can't find that person anywhere!! I've walked all over multi times and yet when I return to the Cafe Mona asks me if I'm really sure I want to leave before saying goodbye to everyone. I didn't max everyone's rank but the person I did max who I haven't found is Ryuji. Where is this last person hiding? It's driving me crazy

Ryuji hangs in the Arcade.

Auto-Tarukaja was due to an accessory.

Poor Ryuji really needed to learn Charge earlier. He's been sidelined forever.

Hahaha I always have SP Adhesive 3 equipped on everyone.

And yes, Ryuji suffers early but he is undoubtedly one of the best guy you want to bring to fight the game's toughest bosses due to his Charge + Deathbound/Agneryasa + Matarukaja.

Thanks. Do you start over at level 1?

But you can just pull your highest persona from the compendium and steam roll first
palaces. As in, you have endless sp because stuff costs so little, nothing really hurts you and "auto-attack" deals more dmg than your skills. Just remember to equip your end game gear again.

The way that the anime represents the True End is also super good. The P4 anime is fucking atrocious in some ways - like it can barely be called animation - but in some ways it is really brilliant. I'll never get over how it managed to elevate Yu from a blank slate to a coherent, lovable character with just a few minor changes. It retroactively makes the game even better than it was by casting the game's events in that light.

As an anime, it's a pile of burning garbage, but as a supplement to Persona 4, it's a delicious treat.

Yeah, going back to watch the summer vacation episodes, I'd forgotten how grimy the animation quality is. I think at the time I didn't care because the episodes were all at least interesting, and some of them pretty damned good. I'd forgotten until just now about how they treated Void Quest, that was a really neat take on something they only hinted at in the game proper.

The P4G anime, on the other hand, I remember basically nothing about it. It's probably for the best.

Top Bottom