• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Atlantis

Hahaha I always have SP Adhesive 3 equipped on everyone.

And yes, Ryuji suffers early but he is undoubtedly one of the best guy you want to bring to fight the game's toughest bosses due to his Charge + Deathbound/Agneryasa + Matarukaja.

My strategy has been to knock down an enemy with the MC and Baton Pass to Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto and wipe everything with a hit-all physical move. Saves a lot on the SP.

I feel like Ryuji has been almost useless since Yusuke joined and I'm now entering the seventh palace and he's yet to learn Charge. :(

PK Gaming

Auto-Tarukaja was due to an accessory.

Poor Ryuji really needed to learn Charge earlier. He's been sidelined forever.

He's already stacked as is. Swift Strike is undoubtedly the best physical move in the game relative to when you get it, and Ryuji picks it up at level 32. His high physical durability makes him p. much impossible to kill, and he picks up Auto-sukukaja via weapon fusion, mitigating his accuracy issues. Lategame Matarukaja is amazing as well.

He's borderline required for most of Merciless difficulty as well.

Bladenic

Ryuji, Ann, and Haru have the highest damage output. I take back what I had said about Haru being shit, her gun boosts + One Shot Kill + MFing Heat Riser = ridiculous. Yusuke kinda feels completely outclassed by end game, Makoto is still great but she's more support, and Morgana offers pretty much nothing over any of the others. Poor thing.

Atlantis

He's already stacked as is. Swift Strike is undoubtedly the best physical move in the game relative to when you get it, and Ryuji picks it up at level 32. His high physical durability makes him p. much impossible to kill, and he picks up Auto-sukukaja via weapon fusion, mitigating his accuracy issues. Lategame Matarukaja is amazing as well.

He's borderline required for most of Merciless difficulty as well.

What Persona is required for Auto-Sukukaja? Accuracy hasn't been the reason for my ignoring him but anything would help. I definitely agree he's one of the best late game, just by browsing his skill set.

What puts him over the top for Merciless as well? Just the higher Endurance? I can see why that'd be a much more important factor on a higher difficulty but for cruising through on Normal Yusuke's much higher Strength seems more attractive.

Ryuji, Ann, and Haru have the highest damage output. I take back what I had said about Haru being shit, her gun boosts + One Shot Kill + MFing Heat Riser = ridiculous. Yusuke kinda feels completely outclassed by end game, Makoto is still great but she's more support, and Morgana offers pretty much nothing over any of the others. Poor thing.

I haven't experimented too much, so I don't know how it compares to Ryuji, but Yusuke's "bonus damage after a baton pass" skills do obscene amounts of damage.

Opa-Pa

Ryuji was pretty great the few times I used him, but I like Yusuke too much so he had a permanent place in my party, and late in the game I realized he was better for my tastes anyway. I gave him a counter enabling accessory so with that, high counter, his high agility and speed master, he was nearly untouchable and did pretty respectable damage after batton paases.

Ryuji was brutal but he misses too often and I tended to prioritize defensive buffs over ma/tarukaja, so he had to stay in the bench for most of the game... A shame because I'm part of the 3% of the playerbase who likes him.

This merciless talk though... No, I need to stay away from this game.

Gojeran

Just finished my first Persona title. It's very bitter sweet. It's like closing the cover of a hundred hour book that I desperately wanted to see the end of yet didn't want to finish....

Boogiepop

Okay, so, someone give me a heads up in the least spoilery way possible: (question regarding late game junk)
So I just got past the big twist cutscene where time catches up. Just realized that I didn't confirm this just yet, but I'm guessing I'll still have this last bit of time to work on my Confidants. My big question, though, is if I'll have any time to work on those afterwards, or if I should consider this THE final deadline for getting that stuff done. (I'm on track to get most of them, but I'm afraid the I'm probably at least not finishing all of the night time Confidants. Day time though, everyone but Haru is in the final stretch. So... clearly something went slightly out of wack, but oh well. I went in no guide, so my position isn't THAT bad, all things considered).

Ryuji was pretty great the few times I used him, but I like Yusuke too much so he had a permanent place in my party, and late in the game I realized he was better for my tastes anyway. I gave him a counter enabling accessory so with that, high counter, his high agility and speed master, he was nearly untouchable and did pretty respectable damage after batton paases.

Ryuji was brutal but he misses too often and I tended to prioritize defensive buffs over ma/tarukaja, so he had to stay in the bench for most of the game... A shame because I'm part of the 3% of the playerbase who likes him.

People don't like Ryuji? I think he's one of the best party members other than his super cringe-inducing anime pervert moments, and I don't really hold those against Ryuji because it's obviously just pandering to that type of player.

Atlantis

This merciless talk though... No, I need to stay away from this game.

I love Ryuji, that's why I need to know why he's so good!

On an unrelated note, thread's opinion on me being able to max Fortune before the end of the game? It's at rank 8 and it's 12/7. I haven't beaten the palace yet. I know the game is ending soon and I want Lakshmi. :(

Guess Who

Banned
Okay, so, someone give me a heads up in the least spoilery way possible: (question regarding late game junk)
So I just got past the big twist cutscene where time catches up. Just realized that I didn't confirm this just yet, but I'm guessing I'll still have this last bit of time to work on my Confidants. My big question, though, is if I'll have any time to work on those afterwards, or if I should consider this THE final deadline for getting that stuff done. (I'm on track to get most of them, but I'm afraid the I'm probably at least not finishing all of the night time Confidants. Day time though, everyone but Haru is in the final stretch. So... clearly something went slightly out of wack, but oh well. I went in no guide, so my position isn't THAT bad, all things considered).

This is the final deadline, save like, one day.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well Brave Blade has a high crit rate but other than that yeah... Yusuke is pretty meh end game...

As for Mona, well he is capable of dealing higher damage with his magic compared to Makoto, and is equipped with much better healing skills too... It's just Makoto getting an unfair advantage over him with ATLUS throwing a high-crit high-attack PLUS a +10 all Stat increase weapons to her while Mona only gets +50 SP and random status effect bonus, lol.

MoonFrog

Idk. I found Masukukaja useful, personally. I guess I also just liked the samurai-esque moves better than Ryuji's, so Yusuke was my go-to physical attacker. Also helped that I found him more amusing, although late Ryuji-confidant opportunities to troll him made me quite happy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Newbie question: what's the best way to balance between non-battle stats, confidant bonds, and fighting in palaces?

I've read somewhere that if you "clear palaces asap you get to have time to focus on the other stuff, especially phantom thieves bonds." Is this a good rule to go by, or does it "depends."

I played Persona 3 for a bit, but it was so many years after release, that a roommate was basically watching me play and giving me pointers throughout, for better or worse. P5 feels more fluid and complex with its schedule in comparison.

Atlantis

Newbie question: what's the best way to balance between non-battle stats, confidant bonds, and fighting in palaces?

I've read somewhere that if you "clear palaces asap you get to have time to focus on the other stuff, especially phantom thieves bonds." Is this a good rule to go by, or does it "depends."

I played Persona 3 for a bit, but it was so many years after release, that a roommate was basically watching me play and giving me pointers throughout, for better or worse. P5 feels more fluid and complex with its schedule in comparison.

IIRC, in Persona 4, your party members weren't available to hang out until a dungeon was cleared. This isn't the case in Persona 5, though I do believe they stop hanging out when the deadline is about a week away.

As such, I've found it best to focus on other things outside of the dungeons until the date approaches, since it allows me to start dungeons with extra Confidant bonuses for my party and usually a few extra levels from Mementos visits.

PK Gaming

What Persona is required for Auto-Sukukaja? Accuracy hasn't been the reason for my ignoring him but anything would help. I definitely agree he's one of the best late game, just by browsing his skill set.

What puts him over the top for Merciless as well? Just the higher Endurance? I can see why that'd be a much more important factor on a higher difficulty but for cruising through on Normal Yusuke's much higher Strength seems more attractive.

I went and checked and I made a grave mistake. No such weapon exists (Weapon Fusing Hanuman grants you Auto-Tarukaja instead.

In Merciless, he's good because of his durability, but also because he's the only character who can provide Tarukaja buffs for Joker, who will easily be your main source of damage during the early game.

Also even though Yusuke has higher Strength, Ryuji will always outdamage with Swift Strike for most of the game (outside of Baton Passing). Try it and see.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

'clearing palaces as soon as possible' is not always good advice this time because unlike P4 you aren't blocked from raising your S.links before finishing a Dungeon so often it's wiser to raise them first before you go down to dungeons so you can get that sweet fusion experience bonus once you're there.

I think it's best to do the Palace on days where there are no Confidants available, and then only do non-Confidant activities on empty days after clearing the Palace.

Confidants are priority number one, since they give stat boosts and it's a lot less painful to go back a week if you can't finish the Palace in time, than to get to the end of the game and realize you don't have enough time to finish all your Confidants.

MoonFrog

My core advice is, yes, get out as quick as you can, but unless you figure out quick how to maximize social stats efficiently and get through dungeons efficiently, don't stress yourself about trying to 100% confidants on a first playthrough.

Do what you can. Finish who you really want to finish. Then use compendium knowledge/new game + perks to easily do a completionist run.

Dungeons are so much more streamlined when you know the maps, know the bosses, know the persona weakness, don't have to fumble your way through demon conversations, and have access to SP items and time management skills much quicker.

Basically, go in doing your best but expecting to not finish everything, is my advice. Be at peace with your first playthrough.

Edit:

I also mean quickest not as in quickest date, but fewest dungeon entries you can manage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My party was mostly Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto, you have a good adapter in Makoto who can heal and do damage(plus partywide def+), and two heavy damage dealers while Joker can fill in whatever.

Yusuke does falter late game even though his baton pass stuff is great, he just can't compare to Ryuji's attack buffs + charge so I usually had Ann in his place because her damage is ridiculous, attack debuff was nice as well but she is incredibly SP heavy. Ryuji is very easy to sustain since he alternates resource pools so he was overall the best party member to me.

Shengar

Some of these Mementos shadow battle is vicious.
Damn Baphomet forced me to fused an Anubis with Null Brainwash and Bufula while Dakini took me half an hour to beat.

PK Gaming

RMPO6Xz.png

This game is permanently set on "Dunk Mishima" mode

LotusHD

Banned
Mishima bullying is the worst. There's a scene where someone asks if Mishima is your friend, and of the two possible answers, neither one is an affirmative. The game literally refuses to let you not dunk Mishima.

Despite the shit that has happened to him, he somehow usually deserves it. It's amazing lmao

Hahaha I always have SP Adhesive 3 equipped on everyone.

And yes, Ryuji suffers early but he is undoubtedly one of the best guy you want to bring to fight the game's toughest bosses due to his Charge + Deathbound/Agneryasa + Matarukaja.

I roll Black Moon on Joker because that + Apt Pupil on Izanagi = crits all day on Cross Slash.

Crayon

I just bought this game today. Still a week or two before I can start it. I'm excited to see what all the fuss is about tho. :eek:

Recall

Mishima bullying is the worst. There's a scene where someone asks if Mishima is your friend, and of the two possible answers, neither one is an affirmative. The game literally refuses to let you not dunk Mishima.

Yet they still have the balls
to put Mishima's shadow in its place
simply by scolding him.

Hylian7

Near endgame miniboss:
Michael, this is the first boss/miniboss that feels like an SMT boss.
Every SMT boss is usually some kind of puzzle where you have to come up with the winning strategy. The gimmick here with summoning the Angels and them using Recarmudra on him is really good. I only got to try him once, but know I need to go back to the drawing board.

PInk Tape

Banned
Welp I finished it; 135 hours and 35 minutes in total.

Not sure on what I'll do now besides dealing with the aching sadness I'm feeling rn ;__;

I've beaten the game twice.

I'm missing two trophies.

...I'm trying to justify a third playthrough, but I feel like I'd burn out once I started it.

:(

kromeo

Not just the probation, a few times now they've said things about not letting the police are students out at night. Aren't they supposed to be 16?

OK so, I just watched the scene where
Sae goes off on her sister for asking if their father would have supported the Phantom Thieves and...
This game's writing has been pretty good so far aside from the localization issues (of which only the formalities bug me) and wow. That was just terrible. It just comes out of nowhere with no natural conversational build up. It was so jarring I just felt the need to make a post about it.

Recall

Not just the probation, a few times now they've said things about not letting the police are students out at night. Aren't they supposed to be 16?

Maybe there are rules for school kids, I have no idea. Different social aspects we aren't used to?

Them going to school on a Saturday caught me off guard.

Guess Who

Banned
OK so, I just watched the scene where
Sae goes off on her sister for asking if their father would have supported the Phantom Thieves and...
This game's writing has been pretty good so far aside from the localization issues (of which only the formalities bug me) and wow. That was just terrible. It just comes out of nowhere with no natural conversational build up. It was so jarring I just felt the need to make a post about it.

It's supposed to come out of nowhere, that's the point.
Sae just suddenly explodes on her sister because of pent-up stress and anger from work combined with her sister making her question whether the work she's doing (aka, pursuing the Phantom Thieves) is even just

Hylian7

So why is Bugbear "Bugs" in this game? Is this a localization error, or is there some reason for it? Given the lore and the fact that the Soul Hackers design is used, I am having a hard time seeing a reason why not to call it Bugbear.

duckroll

So why is Bugbear "Bugs" in this game? Is this a localization error, or is there some reason for it? Given the lore and the fact that the Soul Hackers design is used, I am having a hard time seeing a reason why not to call it Bugbear.

Same reason why Pyro Jack is now Jack O Lantern. They seem to have reverted all names to be faithful to the name used in Japanese.

Just finished the third palace. I feel like it's villain was a lot less interesting than the first two. The first two had some background to them, and had better motives. The third villain just
wants money, and there's nothing more to it than that
. Plus, you only see the villain once before you go to their palace. Between that and the fact that I felt like the the real world version and the palace version felt too dissimilar in terms of appearance, which made them feel like different people, it felt like the real world version wasn't properly fleshed out, and felt rushed.

I really enjoyed the palace though.

zulux21

Welp I finished it; 135 hours and 35 minutes in total.

Not sure on what I'll do now besides dealing with the aching sadness I'm feeling rn ;__;

my wife and I have been playing puyo puyo tetris to help.
it's a fun little puzzle game with a story mode full of so much cheese and happiness that it helps full the void of sadness.... with murderous rage when they puyo chain you with a large chain... but still >.>

I've found her to be the jack of all trades and master of ALL really. She's had the best equipment options of the entire party thus far. (I'm not using a guide though, so I may have missed some)

With STR boosting equipment and Auto-Tarkukaja, she made the mid game dungeons a breeze and now she's moved into a caster role with her gun. Can't believe she has +10 to all stats waiting for her.

Yoshitsune/Hassou Tobi is the top tier again? Zzzzz.

Makato suffers from not getting an end game worthy physical attack to go with her really balanced stats, a good end game physical attack around where she learns Freidyne would have rounded her out nicely. As it is she's got balanced stats but only uses magic end game.

Yeah , Persona's bizarre square root based damage formula means it's almost impossible for the attack with the most hits to not be the best. 5 hits of of power 10 beats 1 hit of power 225.

Top Bottom