• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Nice, I managed to max all stats and confidants, and already finished the 7th palace and boss while playing the whole game on hard without using a guide. I still have 9 days left before the deadline and I don't know what to do with my extra time lol. Seems this game was way easier to max all social links than P3 and 4. I never managed to max them all in those games.

"Hey guys we need a super secret hideout to discuss our thieving plans"
*picks busiest public area in Tokyo to talk loudly about Phantom Thieves*

'Hangs out in the middle of the school patio*
OMG WE, THE PHANTOM THiEVES, DID THIS. WE DID, WE, THE PHANTOM THIEVES.

Did I mention we are the Phantom Thieves?

IT IS US, PT

Lusankya

If Futaba had a victory pose:

bv4nmop4q2wy.jpg

Nightbird

I've head of others finishing in 80, and if they aren't using a guide, i just don't see how that's possible?

I played on easy, rushed a little during the summer months, and finished the game in around 85 hours.

No Guide involved (unless I was stuck with a puzzle I couldn't solve like in the last dungeon)

StoneFox

Why does the reaper take so long to appear? He seemed way more aggressive in P3 :p

I'm just spinning circles, c'mon man

Edit: literally left and made a sandwhich and still no reaper. What do I have to do to get you to notice me senpai?!

65 hours about to fight the palace six boss.
I used guides for some of the palace puzzles and fast forward through a lot of the incidental dialogue scenes and classroom scenes

ckohler

Persona 5 Review

X4v0DNU.jpg

Finished the game on Friday night. Absolutely loved it. I'd place it near my top five video games of all time. Here is a massive dump of my thoughts. I've done my best to be vague and avoid spoilers.

Comparison to Persona 4
I kinda hate to do this but I think any review of P5 is going to at least have some comparison to its highly-regarded predecessor. Persona 4 was my first Persona game and I adored it. I shed a few tears when the end credits rolled in P4. Not out of sadness but from that sense of closure to the overall bittersweet finale and from seeing those characters part... characters who had grown to be your friends.

At the end of Persona 5 I did not tear up. However, I think my reaction was more in due to the WAY Persona 5 ends which is far less bittersweet and more ambiguous and up-lifting. The game's overall message about the power to affect real-world change in our lives makes for a far more cheerful coda. I will say the end credits design and music are fantastic. I've re-watched them a few times now and that same sadness of seeing a grand adventure ending was still there.

gpW7IP9.jpg

Story
The story in Persona 5 is definitely an improvement over Persona 4 in my opinion. P4 was a fine tale but P5 integrates the overarching plot, the concept of human cognition, the metaverse, and even the individual stories of each friend and confidant far more tightly into a less disconnected narrative than P4 did. Furthermore, I found P5's story far easier to follow throughout because of this. While not all of the social links in P5 were as memorable as those in P4, they also weren't retreads of the P4 dungeons. Also, there were more interesting twists and seemingly game-altering moments in P5 that delighted me throughout.

AfvA1Fm.jpg

The Characters
As for the core team, they were all great except maybe for Yusuke. He was fine but kinda two-dimensional. That's not to say I didn't find him entertaining but he was the only team member whose social-link I did not max out. My favorite characters would have to be Futaba, Makoto, Ryuji, and Morgana. Speaking of Mona, let me just say that when my hype was rising about P5 over a year ago I switched my avatar to that of Morgana as he's the game's mascot. However, I never actually expected him to be a deep character I would care about. What a massive improvement over Teddy! He was great and even has an interesting, mysterious journey throughout the entire game's plot. I certainly hope the memes about his over insistence on forcing Joker to sleep aren't his only legacy because he's actually a well written, well performed character. He was a welcome surprise (and again, a far better character than Teddy ever was). Heck, just giving him a normal, non-cartoony voice alone elevated his characterization.

NTtpt0e.jpg

The World
Tokyo is very well realized from what I can tell. I've read several reviews of P5 from people who frequent Tokyo who say that playing the game gives a very good representation of the city and I think that's great. The move to the big city from Persona 4's charming little town of Inaba was a welcome move and I think it helped give the story gravity and its affects on society more weight.

bp5i7Np.jpg

The Music
I was initially let down by the lack of vocal tracks at first, preferring the more varying and "poppy" tunes of Persona 4. But over time I think I came to respect Persona 5's choice of a mostly non-vocal acid jazz soundtrack as it fits better with the game's darker theme of being a "phantom thief". Interestingly, by holding just a few vocal tracks close to its chest, and only using them at key moments in the game, it actually gave those moments far, far more punch like with "Beneath the Mask" suddenly goes vocal from instrumental and most particularly with the debut of the fantastic "Rivers in the Desert". I do intend on importing the three disc soundtrack to add to my collection. I think the only real mistake with the soundtrack was that there weren't more rotating themes for the different months or times of day. Persona 4 did a better job of having far more over world music variation.

uxNKN5b.jpg

The Look
Does it really need to be said? It's stunning. Probably the best use of graphic design I've ever seen in a video game (or most media, for that matter). Even people with zero interest in Persona can look at the game and be struck by the bold, over-the-top care put into every pixel on the screen. In fact, the anime cutscenes produced by A-1 Pictures were often the least creative parts of the overall presentation; never looking as good or being as well animated as the actual in game cutscenes.

wluR1j0.jpg

Final Thoughts
Anyone who is willing to dedicate the time and are capable of loosing themselves in a world, its characters and its story will no doubt enjoy Persona 5 as I did. It was a long time coming but I think the overall polish and care placed into the production of this game seals its place among the greats which is astounding as we are in a year of great games. Don't miss it.

End Game Stats:
  • Got the True Ending
  • Final Level: 76
  • Money: ¥2,300,000
  • In Game Play Time: 131 Hours
  • Real World Time Elapsed: 31 days
  • All social stats maxed
  • Confidants Completed: 15 (including the automatic ones)
  • Primary End Game Persona: Black Frost
  • Got the "Passionate Listener" trophy
  • Compendium was more than 50% complete
  • Played in English

qb6QWIL.png

Does getting a reading from
Chihaya
eat time? If so is it worth it? Seems inefficient to
eat time for a reading then eat time doing whatever you want to improve

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Does getting a reading from
Chihaya
eat time? If so is it worth it? Seems inefficient to
eat time for a reading then eat time doing whatever you want to improve
No and that's why it's OP/easy to max all confidants with no walkthrough on your first time through.

But why? No one should be that smug.

Because she's Futaba and smug is a thing that she does sometimes. XD

Seriously, look at her face (not the anime cut-in during dialogue, her actual face on the character model) during some of the scenes. She totally does that "up to something" snicker with the same expression.

TrueBlue

Fortune Confidant ability question:

What exactly does the luck reading do? I asked for a boost for my proficiency, but I only got two notes when I made some lockpicks. Am I missing something? I wanna at least get somewhere on Haru's Confidant chain.

Fortune Confidant ability question:

What exactly does the luck reading do? I asked for a boost for my proficiency, but I only got two notes when I made some lockpicks. Am I missing something? I wanna at least get somewhere on Haru's Confidant chain.
Only works on the same day.

LiK

It's not hard considering there's a persona 5 fusion calculator site which makes it really simple to fuse what you need, just time consuming, and costly. Need to make sure you have a lot of money going in.

can i get a link

Huh. I could have sworn I asked for the boost and did the lockpicks later that night. Weird

Actually, you may be right. From what I read, the note system is kind of a rough gauge for things. Like, 1 note is 1 point, but 2 notes can be 2-4 points, and 3 notes is something else. So, there's a behind the scenes counter that doesn't like up exactly to the notes displayed.

So, specifically regarding the Fortune Arcana thing:

you are getting a bonus, and it's something like 1.5 whatever the normal amount is, but it just didn't raise it enough for it to display a third note

let me see if i can find the thing I'm talking about...

edit: Elaugaufein explains it below me.

Only works on the same day.

Mechanical spoilers I guess ?

It increases the points behind the selected stat gains by 50% until you sleep.

Actions give between 2 and 10 points and the notes are based on the range of points (which is why 1 note often goes to 2, 2 notes usually stay at 2 and 3 notes always stays at 3). Fractional points do round down though so you get a tiny bit less than a 50% increase on some actions.

If you've got the money and are boosting a stat at all that day you should always do it (when it's not raining, though you can do it in the afternoon / after school portion for rainy evenings). If you're getting multiple boosts you should probably go for the largest bonus, if they are all the same knowledge / proficiency / guts are the hardest to rank up (in roughly that order) while charm is the easiest (Knowledge is a bit weird because you get a lot of bonus points from in game events though, so whether it's the hardest kinda depends on how fast you want to raise it).

Tool making is super weird because it's 2 notes of proficiency unless you make 2 of a tool in one go (Morgana says "not bad") in which case you get 3, the number of different tools you can make in one sitting is just based on your Proficiency rank. So you should really get a fortune and then save scum for that event at least once to maximize the gain. Its pretty much the only random stat gain in P5.

Oh, always be as kind as possible to your plant (use the most expensive fertilizer you can as often as possible and always drink the juice at the underground walkway on Sundays, if you can go to the underground mall either day or evening, juice doesn't change stats until you drink the current one so keep it rotating until you max all stats), they don't take up time.

Likewise always have an unfinished book to read on you, in case you get time on the train / in class. Try and avoid spending actual time sessions reading non-Bookword books though, until you get the book that lets you read 2 sections per reading attempt from Bookworld (you'll probably have to for stat gains to some extent but mininize it). Books about Landmarks don't take time if you already know about Landmarks and the 1 star books don't benefit from fast reading (but they also don't give stats).

Drop

Actions give between 2 and 10 points and the notes are based on the range of points (which is why 1 note often goes to 2, 2 notes usually stay at 2 and 3 notes always stays at 3). Fractional points do round down though so you get a tiny bit less than a 50% increase on some actions.

If you've got the money and are boosting a stat at all that day you should always do it (when it's not raining, though you can do it in the afternoon / after school portion for rainy evenings). If you're getting multiple boosts you should probably go for the largest bonus, if they are all the same knowledge / proficiency / guts are the hardest to rank up (in roughly that order) while charm is the easiest (Knowledge is a bit weird because you get a lot of bonus points from in game events though, so whether it's the hardest kinda depends on how fast you want to raise it).

Tool making is super weird because it's 2 notes of proficiency unless you make 2 of a tool in one go (Morgana says "not bad") in which case you get 3, the number of different tools you can make in one sitting is just based on your Proficiency rank. So you should really get a fortune and then save scum for that event at least once to maximize the gain. Its pretty much the only random stat gain in P5.

Oh, always be as kind as possible to your plant (use the most expensive fertilizer you can as often as possible and always drink the juice at the underground walkway on Sundays, if you can go to the underground mall either day or evening), they don't take up time.

Likewise always have an unfinished book to read on you, in case you get time on the train / in class. Try and avoid spending actual time sessions reading non-Bookword books though, until you get the book that lets you read 2 sections per reading attempt from Bookworld (you'll probably have to for stat gains to some extent but mininize it). Books about Landmarks don't take time if you already know about Landmarks and the 1 star books don't benefit from fast reading (but they also don't give stats).

I'm not sure why we're spoiler tagging this but that's basically what's going on.

More specifically according to a Japanese wiki page
1 note is 2 points, 2 notes are either 3 or 4 points and 3 notes are 5, 7 or 10 points.
Usually 2 notes mean 3 points and 3 mean 5 points, outside of some particular cases like books that require 3 days to read, those give 7 points, the other thing that gives 7 points is watching movies after reading that book that makes you appreciate them more.

Fortune multiplies the points for 1.5 and rounds down, so you go form 2 to 3, from 3 to 4, from 5 to 7 and from 7 to 10.
That means the only things with visible feedback are the actions that give you 2 points, as the jump to 3 will add a note.

TrueBlue

Oh, always be as kind as possible to your plant (use the most expensive fertilizer you can as often as possible and always drink the juice at the underground walkway on Sundays, if you can go to the underground mall either day or evening), they don't take up time.

I see, thanks for the overview.

It's November and I haven't even touched my plant...

vypek

Is there a limit to the amount of money a boss will throw when confused? I think I only have a few bosses that will throw money away and the one I am on currently has been dropping items after it throw away about 150K total

EDIT: Nevermind. It seems like after 9 more sets of confusion it resumed throwing money at least for a turn so far

Majmun

Just finished the game. Maxed all confidants except for Empress. Left her at 9. I just needed ONE extra day goddamit

Took me 107 hours to finish the game on normal difficulty. Persona compendium a 83%

Only needed a guide for the strength confidant with the fusions.

Lovely game. The dungeons could've been better though. Most were way too long and boring. The last dungeon and the mementos were terrible. And pacing was pretty bad as well. Some scenes and periods dragged on way too long.

But I loved the game overal. I think I had more fun with Persona 4 though. Persona 5 is a great experience still

Bladenic

I've been playing P4 Golden (only played OG before) and it's crazy how much more respectful of your in-game time that game is. Pre-new dungeon investigations/etc take one/two days and you can usually still do other stuff in between. Not like P5's week long escapades for a new palace with no chance of doing anything else because the damn cat is forcing you to sleep.

Setting up an S.Link for the crew also creates many more and better hang outs between the group than P5 ever has (except for the post palace 4 section with Futaba). I understand why they couldn't in P5 though (the whole confidant aspect).

Bladenic

FINALLY MORGANA UPGRADED HER PERSONA

And it's actually amazing! I also forgot to mention that Haru's upgraded Persona is badass AF

ckohler

How did you feel about the gameplay? This review more or less lines up with my thoughts (though I felt Yusuke was great and I liked Teddie more than Morgana in the end)

I really liked the gameplay. The enhancements to combat through the addition of baton passes, guns, and shadow negotiations were improvements as were the quality-of-life additions of the R1 button to auto-use a weakness skill.

Outside of combat, being able to accept shortcuts to confidants via IM and using the map were nice. One complaint would be the constant recap IMs you got. I think they did that in case you come back to the game after stopping so you get a recap of the current situation but hearing the obvious got kinda tedious sometimes.

Top Bottom