• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

[MAJOR END GAME SPOILERS]
I finally hit the Igor reveal, and it is killing me that I had that spoiled. I know I would have been over the fucking moon with how things escalate if I hadn't been spoiled. Instead of an increasingly wide-eyed series of "OH SHIT", it's just like "oh, so this is how it plays out". I killed the last Archangel outside the temple a few hours ago, and I just paused it and did other things because all of the wind has been taken out of the game's sails.

Fuck.

PK Gaming

I can't say if they are better handled than Persona 4 since I can't remember that game very well, but still as I said other than few select characters, the cast disappear in the background.

Maybe it's because of how long the game is. Cause from the third palace to last one, there is like 70-80 hours of gameplay and some characters like Yusuke and Ann, take a back seat during majority of exchanges in the main story. Like, I can't really remember Yusuke, Futaba, Haru or Ann, saying anything of note in the last 8-9 hours of the game that I played. Other than that one scene, they were just there.

Again, this might be true of Persona 4. I don't remember that game very well, but for Persona 5 that was certainly a problem.

Also, in regards to what you said about characters having a consistent personality between confidant and main story, I agree, as long as you do those stuff at a good pace. I did Ryuji's confidant like half way through the game, and the disconnect between what you see in his later confidant events and his personality mid-game through the main story, is very very jarring. He eventually gets there, but yeah, you have to keep doing them at a specific pace.

That's why I was so disappointed that confidants were still happening in an isolated scenario.

There definitely weren't that many outstanding moments for the main cast like in Persona 4. No "Kanji losing his swimming trunks", no "Operation up close and personal", no "shenanigans at the Amagi inn" etc. Honestly, I think the argument that the Persona 5 cast as a whole isn't as memorable as Persona 4's is pretty legitimate. That said, I strongly disagree with the idea that the characters themselves fade into the background. The Phantom Thieves shine during small, individual moments interspersed throughout the game. In the 7th dungeon alone, you have things like
Ann's "Ann Windsor" moment, Ryuji saving the day, Futaba haggling with the 3rd rate computer guy for information, Yusuke has his moment with the Yakuza guy, Makoto ordering Fois gras, and Haru's beef with that dude who insulted her dad.
There's no equivalent of moments like that in P4. No one in that game really got to do anything by themselves. It even bleeds into group discussions, which feel far more varied in Persona 5 than in Persona 4. Whereas everyone more or less agreed with each other pretty much all the time in P4, disagreements, arguments, friction and the like are things that actually happen. Maybe Yusuke doesn't have Kanji's bombastic, but he does have a sharpness to him that made me go, "okay so he's different from the rest." I think that's where our disagreement comes from. The characters in P5 pretty much devote their entire being to the Phantom Thief cause for better or for worse. I was really invested in that, but you obviously weren't, so the characters stood out to me much more. I also think the Phantom Thieves are far more dynamic as a group than the Investigation Team, but that's pretty much by design.
The Investigation Team never really had a moment where their backs were to the wall and they had to cooperate with an obvious scumbag.

Also you should finish Yusuke's Confidant some time. It's too good.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Palace 5 wasn't that bad, though admittedly I used a guide on the Airlock part...

Biggest issue was you start running into Phys-resistant enemies so you can't spam auto-battle and you use a ton of SP---even with the SP Adhesive 3 my PC and Morgana ran out pretty fast, especially since there's enemies who can drain 30 SP per hit. A trick I found was to go back to the first floor and fight the black slime guys though to quickly regain SP, if you auto-battle they're weak enough they won't kill you but resistant enough you'll drag out the battle for a bit while the SP Adhesive kicks in.

One time though I was in a fight with them for thirty minutes as they kept summoning reinforcements lol---can't use that as a level trick exactly because the EXP. was super minor, only 4000 in the end, and on occasions I had to check in when run attempted to run or one asked for forgiveness.

Palace 5's Boss fight was pretty lame---actually what the fuck happened with the bosses in this? Kamoshida is amazing and one of the fucked up designs in JRPG history, but everything after that is just so plain...

I'm happy though as I got Makoto to Level 10 and now we're dating! Probably don't have enough time to bother with Fortune, Devil, and Hierophant, but I'm gonna try and max out everyone else. Need to get my Knowledge to max though for Star, that's gonna be a pain...

Bladenic

Start Palace 6 to Palace 7 and similar calendar dates spoilers.
They don't even try and hide Akechi is the traitor. He gets all his party member skills at once (which Haru very much does not at this point) but they don't hide that he doesn't get Endure / Protect and he has no misc skill unlike literally everyone else. And his weapons are armor are relatively better too but that's more subtle.

Also a lot of his DLC costumes are the opposite of subtle too, as well as some of the omissions, that wouldn't​ make sense for a permanent party member.

I'm actually a little sad about it, a light / dark party member would have rocked.

Oh can you elaborate on the DLC? Agreed that it's not handled very well on the spoiler though. It was obvious. Plus
Akechi was suspicious from the beginning because he's a detective. I immediately thought of Adachi. I suppose maybe some people thought of Naoto, and indeed, they are both light/dark users.

Oh, and yeah, it sucks that they changed bless and curse to have attacking moves but took away the party member who could use them :( I also wanted to get a better look at Loki

vypek

One time though I was in a fight with them for thirty minutes as they kept summoning reinforcements lol---can't use that as a level trick exactly because the EXP. was super minor, only 4000 in the end, and on occasions I had to check in when run attempted to run or one asked for forgiveness.

I liked this cause I wound up farming status effects and Futaba lines for a bit and then I just decided to end the battle after I got all that I wanted

Feltrol

Banned
I'm surprised we didn't see Haru
grief at all.
I mean,
just two days later she says she's okay -- and I was expecting a big tearjerker scene or her parting ways with the Phantom Thieves.

NSESN

My boss rankings
Akechi
Shadow Sae
Shadow Madarame
Piggytron
Shadow Shido
Yaldabaoth
Shadow Kamoshida
Shadow Okumura
Cognitive Wakaba

About the palaces the only ones I feel that dragged was Palace 1 and 3. My favourite was Palace 7, specially the arena part.

duckroll

Palace 5 wasn't that bad, though admittedly I used a guide on the Airlock part...

Really? They're even color coded! It's basically a linear loop around each floor, unless you want to get all the treasures, then it's just a matter of activating an extra one at two points and going to the extra room before moving on!

There definitely weren't that many outstanding moments for the main cast like in Persona 4. No "Kanji losing his swimming trunks", no "Operation up close and personal", no "shenanigans at the Amagi inn" etc. Honestly, I think the argument that the Persona 5 cast as a whole isn't as memorable as Persona 4's is pretty legitimate. That said, I strongly disagree with the idea that the characters themselves fade into the background. The Phantom Thieves shine during small, individual moments interspersed throughout the game. In the 7th dungeon alone, you have things like
Ann's "Ann Windsor" moment, Ryuji saving the day, Futaba haggling with the 3rd rate computer guy for information, Yusuke has his moment with the Yakuza guy, Makoto ordering Fois gras, and Haru's beef with that dude who insulted her dad.
There's no equivalent of moments like that in P4. No one in that game really got to do anything by themselves. It even bleeds into group discussions, which feel far more varied in Persona 5 than in Persona 4. Whereas everyone more or less agreed with each other pretty much all the time in P4, disagreements, arguments, friction and the like are things that actually happen. Maybe Yusuke doesn't have Kanji's bombastic, but he does have a sharpness to him that made me go, "okay so he's different from the rest." I think that's where our disagreement comes from. The characters in P5 pretty much devote their entire being to the Phantom Thief cause for better or for worse. I was really invested in that, but you obviously weren't, so the characters stood out to me much more. I also think the Phantom Thieves are far more dynamic as a group than the Investigation Team, but that's pretty much by design.
The Investigation Team never really had a moment where their backs were to the wall and they had to cooperate with an obvious scumbag.

Also you should finish Yusuke's Confidant some time. It's too good.
Yeah, I think you are right about that. I can totally see people (like yourself) who are interested in the Phantom Thieves as a group, picking up on little details and moments like the one you linked with Yusuke. But if you are like me and don't care about the group, then the characters themselves don't really standout much. Like, I remember the moments that you mentioned in 7th palace, but those didn't really stand out to me especially the ones with Ann and Haru.

But yeah, Persona 5 just wasn't my kind of story. Though now that know that about it, I may go back to it in future and be able enjoy it much more than I did this time. If that ever happens, I'll be sure to check out Yusuke's confidant.

Can you change your party's attack order?

It depends on character (aka Persona) agility.
Really? They're even color coded! It's basically a linear loop around each floor, unless you want to get all the treasures, then it's just a matter of activating an extra one at two points and going to the extra room before moving on!

Man, I was stuck in the last part of that thing for a solid 30 minutes... it sucked.

Oh can you elaborate on the DLC? Agreed that it's not handled very well on the spoiler though. It was obvious. Plus
Akechi was suspicious from the beginning because he's a detective. I immediately thought of Adachi. I suppose maybe some people thought of Naoto, and indeed, they are both light/dark users.

Oh, and yeah, it sucks that they changed bless and curse to have attacking moves but took away the party member who could use them :( I also wanted to get a better look at Loki

A lot of his DLC costumes are those used by a villain in the games they reference. Eg Demon Emperor from If, Imperial Army from Raidou etc, while the other characters get the good guy costumes. He also lacks Summer Clothes and Swimsuit which Haru does have and you haven't seen her in either at this point.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Yeah, when I did it I realized it was pretty simple---I was just tired of the Palace at that point and wanted to finish it.

I feel the issue was up to that point all the puzzles beforehand were pretty simple and braindead, so I wasn't in the mood to deal with a "challenging" one. :/

I felt like a complete moron watching my wife breeze through the puzzle in about 5 minutes after I'd struggled with it for about a half hour.

Fjordson

Do memento requests go away after certain dates?

Like I have one request right now, but I'm wondering if it'd be more efficient to wait until I have a few stacked up and then tackle them all in one day. As opposed to using up three separate days.

duckroll

Do memento requests go away after certain dates?

Like I have one request right now, but I'm wondering if it'd be more efficient to wait until I have a few stacked up and then tackle them all in one day. As opposed to using up three separate days.

Requests never go away once you get them, but you can miss getting requests if you ignore Mishima's phone msgs and they get lost in the phone buffer over time. It's most efficient to wait until you have at least 4 requests before going in. Especially if you wait for a rainy day, literally.

Fjordson

Requests never go away once you get them, but you can miss getting requests if you ignore Mishima's phone msgs and they get lost in the phone buffer over time. It's most efficient to wait until you have at least 4 requests before going in. Especially if you wait for a rainy day, literally.
Oh shit. I may have missed one then. Damn!

But it sounds like once I've I have the target's ID and it's on the list it won't go away?

Damn, Makoto's evolved Persona is badass looking.
Kinda upsetting this is a side thing. I guess it's normal for the series? Ann was the first of the actual party I got maxed and I was super disappointed when I realized this was something to be achieved on the side

Kinda upsetting this is a side thing. I guess it's normal for the series? Ann was the first of the actual party I got maxed and I was super disappointed when I realized this was something to be achieved on the side

It happened by story events in P3 but P4 introduced actual in battle mechanics to party member Social Links and the 2nd Persona for party members moved there too, P5 kept it there and introduced the other benefits to social links (and added Baton Pass to party member links).

I HATE THAT FUCKING FISH

guardian of the pond

>_>

stupid achievement for getting plat :/

Not sure if you want this hint so
The time it takes to catch a fish in the gauge portion is based on their distance from you

Fish move towards bait they like.

You can recast without penalty if you do it before they actually bite.

MSMrRound

I HATE THAT FUCKING FISH

guardian of the pond

>_>

stupid achievement for getting plat :/

You can try to lure it closer to where you are. E.g throwing out a bait and getting its attention, you pull the lure back and recast it closer to where you are, so that the fish can swim over.

I got it pretty easily

Atlantis

Man I wanted to max her out first, but you need max charm =[ stuck on rank 5

I tunnel visioned maxing my party members first and got max Charm ASAP when I hit that wall. Turned out to be a big mistake since leveling other confidants (Devil and Sun I believe) gave some hefty Charm boosts.

I tunnel visioned maxing my party members first and got max Charm ASAP when I hit that wall. Turned out to be a big mistake since leveling other confidants (Devil and Sun I believe) gave some hefty Charm boosts.

Sun is the other one for Charm

Tower and Hieropjant boost Kindness greatly.

Hanged Man boosts proficiency moderately.

Death and Star boost Guts and Knowledge respectively a little.

Not if you are trying to raise a certain confidant tho. If you wanna max confidant, then do its request as soon as you get it.

Though, it'll greatly help if you already have the max level for Temperance.

Fjordson

Yeah, I just started the two charm confidants. And am using the bath house bonuses. Only at rank 3 though and I'm at the end of July already.

gryvan

Not sure if you want this hint so
The time it takes to catch a fish in the gauge portion is based on their distance from you

Fish move towards bait they like.

You can recast without penalty if you do it before they actually bite.

I already knew about that.

but I was kinda using the default fishing rod. I forgot to buy the casual but apparently i got it after like 25th try......................................

I am NOT gonna enjoy
battling cage

I already knew about that.

but I was kinda using the default fishing rod. I forgot to buy the casual but apparently i got it after like 25th try......................................

I am NOT gonna enjoy
battling cage

The batting cage sucks. I reloaded so much. Mostly my fault though since I decided I'd be clever and do it on the highest difficulty available at the time.

Not if you are trying to raise a certain confidant tho. If you wanna max confidant, then do its request as soon as you get it.

Nah, you should still get a bunch of confidant missions together before you go really, otherwise you waste time. Though if you want to see Kawakami's Hawaii scene in the first playthrough you'll probably have to make 1 redundant trip due to how tight her timeline for that scene likely is and that there's a calendar gated memento quest 2 days after you need to clear Kawakami's to keep things on track.

MSMrRound

That's the point. You can stockpile all the Rank 7/8 requests along with those that you unlock via doing part time jobs and do all of them at once.

For my Mementos run I was clearing 11 of these requests all together. It's certainly possible.

duckroll

No you don't? There are so many Confidant options that if one gets blocked by a request, it's far better to just raise others in the mean time while saving up. It should be no problem doing Mementos once or at most twice a month, sometimes two months. A full Palace cycle tends to come with at least 3 requests over that time period, and every non-active party member Confidant comes with a request around rank 7-9 depending. So it's easy to have a handle on how you're balancing them and knowing when to boost certain ones together to get more requests for a more value added Mementos run.

It's all simple management! Maxing Temperance and Fortune first is definitely invaluable tho. :p

Balphon

Dakini doesn't learn High Counter to 52 , Seth is 51 so it's a minor delay. The other High Counter leaners are like 59+.

Yeah, it would depend on when/how you're trying to do it. A few levels in the Empress confidant should be enough that you can just feed one treasure demon to Dakini and get the two levels if she didn't get them on fusion.

It's also a fairly easy skill card to get too as you said, so it's not a prohibitively difficult challenge.

-Horizon-

What's a good level to go into the
mementos depths thing
?

I'm at 64 right now after making it to the first safe room there.

The main reason I stumbled into the latter half of Makoto's Confidant route without any delay was because of Sun, God bless you Yoshida - the true hero of P5.

mementos depths thing
?

I was in the 70s by that point, and felt a bit overpowered, if you've made it this far into the game, then you're good enough to go all the way now.

zeniselv

mementos depths thing
?

If you made it there you should be enough level for it, and level shouldn't be a problem
since you can heal talking to caroline after entering the depths, so if anything you can grind just there.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Getting a text at midnight from Mishima

fridge-open-disappointed-walk-away-nothing-1353706092r.gif

Top Bottom