• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

TheBear

One more question. How important is it to have a matching arcana when progressing a confidant link?
For example, should I hold off talking to sojiro if I don't have a hiero card?

And are gifts important? Should I use them early on or later in the social link?

One more question. How important is it to have a matching arcana when progressing a confidant link?
For example, should I hold off talking to sojiro if I don't have a hiero card?
Always have a matching arcana. It makes them rank up faster. Fuse to get one or pull one out of the compendium if you are ever short.

(NG+ Spoiler)
Hell yeah, just beat Caroline and Justine for the first time. I did it on Hard, that probably sucks bad on Merciless.

Holy crap, the item the give you for winning is OP. Stuffs all damage other than Almighty? Goddamn.

PK Gaming

tumblr_oov9grL3KG1svkfqgo1_500.gif

Definitely going to do a solo-Joker run one of these days. That win animation is way too sexy.

NSESN

12/24
So I am finally at the start of the last "palace", it was a long trip, I am already feeling sad. Good thing my switch arrived today so I can plat Zelda once I beat this.

Finished this game and I loved it. I had expectations very high, especially in regards to presentation, and they were generally surpassed. I didn't expect it to be as emotionally intense as it was, especially in Palace 4
with that whole Futaba arc. Honestly, that made me cry
. Apart from that, my favourite part of the game is when (End game spoilers)
you cheated Goro's plans to kill you. That was so fun.
In general, my only criticisms are with the LGBT depiction (and I wasn't as pissed off by that as much as some other AAA games this year), and the fact that it suffers from Return of the King syndrome in that (End game spoilers)
It seems like there's at least a dozen points where it could've ended, but it keeps going. I did like the final dungeon and plot reveals more than a lot of people here, but bloody hell. Also, Goro was probably the most fun villain in a game since Girahim, shame he got killed.

Side note: to people who intend on playing this and haven't, I recommend doing the palaces in as few in-game days as possible, but not in one playsession. Use save points, and have a break from the game at some of those points. While I like the palaces a lot, they can get tedious in 2-5 hour marathons.

Overall, moderate 10/10, best JRPG since Thousand Year Door.

bunkitz

Finished Palace 6 last night and started Palace 7.

Akechi you motherfucking piece of shit, I was rooting for you! But I suppose it was pretty obvious that it had to be him, since there was a traitor on the team. That, and the pancake thing gave him away too. Although, I did get spoiled too, because I saw a thumbnail of one of the bad endings and it had Akechi's evil look portrait on it and shit. Also, I saw a screenshot of Akira with his brains blown out on his wikia page. That still surprised me cause I expected that to be the bad ending. (so, yeah, I was panicking and thinking I got the bad ending, somehow) But yeah, my friend worked to convince me that Akechi and his dorky All-Out Attack finisher were all good. Thank you, friend.

Regarding that long cutscene at the end of Palace 6:

I love how brilliantly done it all was. Bravo, Phantom Thieves! Especially Futaba! And I am especially happy that Sojiro was included in the debriefing thing with Sae. Best dad Sojiro deserves it.

God, I love this game so much.

I've still got quite a lot of Confidants to max out... Sun, Temperance, Priestess, Moon, Strength, Judgement, Death are all done. Fool, Magician, and Justice would all happen through the story. Then... Chariot, Lovers, Emperor are almost done, just two or three more ranks for each. Star and Fortune are both 7 as well. Just gotta do their requests. Hierophant is... Rank 9 now, I believe. The ones farthest from completion are Tower, Empress, Hanged Man, and Devil. It's December 1st now, and I think I might be able to make it...?

I just need to find motivation to actually spend time with Devil. Ugh.

Aww, crap: Spoilers for after 11/24. Need some help.

I'm at Rank 9 with Makoto and I can't find her. I can only go to the school roof and I just can't find her anywhere else. Am I boned?

Mediking

For some reason... I really wanna work at Lala Escargot but that stat block.... STOP DOING THIS, ATLUS!!! STAHP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixxxelz

Aww, crap: Spoilers for after 11/24. Need some help.

I'm at Rank 9 with Makoto and I can't find her. I can only go to the school roof and I just can't find her anywhere else. Am I boned?
nah you're good, you'll get the option to hang out with her when she's available.

LotusHD

Banned
So how exactly do you even get the two bad endings? They seem harder to get than the true ending.

(Major endgame spoilers)
One is willingly ratting out your friends to Sae I believe. The other is accepting the Fake Igor (forgot his name)'s deal to keep things the way they are.

Astral

(Major endgame spoilers)
One is willingly ratting out your friends to Sae I believe. The other is accepting the Fake Igor (forgot his name)'s deal to keep things the way they are.

Oh right. I figured the first one was one of the ways to get a bad ending but I forgot about that second choice. They kinda seem like a waste of time.

vypek

Palace 5 turned out to be a bit of a joke for me cause I had been in Mementos so long getting items to craft.

I was able to auto kill enemies that I ambushed for most of the dungeon and had to purposely avoid it so I could level the new character.

Coupled with the fact that I came in with a mostly new set of fusions and had So Adhesive 3 available for all party members it was pretty easy to progress compared to previous dungeons.

I took longer to finish the boss battle than I thought once I saw what was happening

LiK

Well, the guide on GameFAQs I was using to get certain trophies was going well until a few months in and certain SLinks particularly with Sojiro didn't match up and it seems having an card that enhanced the rank ups also messed it up with the guide. I'm ranking up way ahead of it. Now I'm just winging it with several Confidants. I had already to maxed out Ann and Ryuji way ahead of the guide. I guess ranking up earlier is better than later. Gives me more room to rank up the other SLinks and also focus on reading the books more. Hopefully I'm not screwed.

Nightbird

After 85 hours (and exactly one month in real life) i finally finished the game yesterday.

This game is definitely better than Persona 4. Not by a long shot, but still remarkably so.

I was definitely extremely pumped and excited when the game (late December spoiler)
decided to go full SMT on me. That was an unexpected surprise that I liked a lot

I am going to do the NG+ run on safe mode, but I'm not planning to do so anytime soon. I've had my fair share of Persona goodness, and I'm set for a few weeks now.

I can't wait to see what P-Studio is going to do next, because that game is a masterpiece, and my GotY so far (although I did hear some good things about Nier Automata, but it has to do a lot to surpass P5)

Fanuilos

Finished the game up about 15 minutes ago. Feels good and bad at the same time. Quite the masterpiece though and I'm looking forward to jumping back in for NG+. Flustered and blushing Kawakami is the best.

I'm right before the school trip.

Does the game pick up soon? I'm currently fighting my desire to drop it and move on but something tells me that this'll be a mistake.

bunkitz

It's fucking stressful trying to figure out which Personas to fuse. I want to get the new Persona, but I don't want to lose my old one cause it's still useful. I can just summon them, but it's expensive and thus annoying...

Tips? Should I just deal with it and pay the summoning fee?

Jintor

It's fucking stressful trying to figure out which Personas to fuse. I want to get the new Persona, but I don't want to lose my old one cause it's still useful. I can just summon them, but it's expensive and thus annoying...

yeah just make sure you rego them if they have cool new abilities first

money ain't no thang eventually

Endgame spoilers:
So I had forgotten that during the second palace Morgana explains that Persona users can't have palaces until I saw the scene again in Ng+.
I was kinda wondering why they didn't just change Akechi's heart to get the upper hand,
So that totally explains it.

Just pay it up, the money you start earning later in Mementos and the palaces will more than cover the costs before long.

SirNinja

Yes. If you want money, have personas inherit Confuse skills as often as often as possible during fusion. Confuse an enemy (most Mementos mini-bosses are susceptible!), and intentionally prolong the fight as long as possible to get tons of money and recovery items.

You also get a discount for summoning as you complete 25%, 50%, etc. of the compendium, so even that becomes pretty trivial later on.

ShadyK54

It's 4 AM, and I'm post credits roll and post tears (like I was with P4G lol).

This game, man. This game. Been anticipating this game since it's reveal, and had always decided that it was gonna be my favorite game of whatever year it came out it, and I don't see that changing at all. Nothing will probably top this game for me for awhile.

Everything in this game, from the gameplay and music, to the characters, setting, and story just hit all my expectations and exceeded them easily.

Persona 5, what a game. My rating:
Entrance%2B4.gif

Can't wait to start up the NG+ playthrough...after I get some sleep lmao.

SirNinja

but you still don't have enough guts to start Iwai's confidant story

Oh god, lol...don't remind me of that. I could have unlocked Iwai as a confidant like 3 months earlier but my Guts just absolutely refused to go from 3 to 4. New Game Plus is going to be such a different playthrough.

duckroll

My brain has been on fire since yesterday. Powered through social stuff all the way through to Nov 16. Saved before heading out. Came back late after the Kingdom Hearts Concert. Finally decided to get through with the plot. Finished Palace 6. Saved at the "things are about to get heated" prompt. BAM. 2 hours of cutscenes. HOT DAMN SHIT IS GOING DOWN!

Brilliant stuff. A bit too much exposition? Maaaaybe. But watching everything come together and seeing what fits based on what I suspected and what I missed throughout the game was soooooooo satisfying. It was like a pretty kickass episode of Mission Impossible - Persona style.

Palace 7 though? Damn, wasn't quite expecting that setting. I love how every dungeon setting is something big, bold, unique, and different. Now to see how many Confidants I can max out before ALL the shit goes down.

Best Persona by such a huuuge mile for me so far.

PBalfredo

When I'm demanding money from enemies in a Hold Up, do I keep each pay out, or does it go away if I push the shadow too far and the fight resumes?

SlickVic

Regarding Mementos early on,
do I need to finish the second request before the Moon confidant will rank to level 3? My party members keep bugging me to go back to Mementos, but I was told by others to wait till I have at least 4-6 requests and knock them out in one go. Seems like a waste to go in with only 1 active request currently. I'm assuming more requests will come automatically once I hit June?

Regarding Mementos early on,
do I need to finish the second request before the Moon confidant will rank to level 3? My party members keep bugging me to go back to Mementos, but I was told by others to wait till I have at least 4-6 requests and knock them out in one go. Seems like a waste to go in with only 1 active request currently. I'm assuming more requests will come automatically once I hit June?

I only did 2 Mementos thus far (55 hours, palace 4 now), and the Moon confidant is at lvl 4 (and he was lvl 3 before I finished the second request, so I'm guessing the answer to your question is no), so I am not sure how it works exactly but I wouldn't worry greatly about it. Do it when you have at least 6 requests. Also be mindful of the Mementos farming.

Awesome thanks! Trying to upgrade knowledge is such a slog, should I only worry about around exam time?

Makoto
requires knowledge to start her SL after you beat Palace
. The best way to do it is to go to the diner at rainy days and study, that way you get 3 points in KNowledge + points in something else (depending on which meal you have at the diner).

Palace 5 turned out to be a bit of a joke for me cause I had been in Mementos so long getting items to craft.

I was able to auto kill enemies that I ambushed for most of the dungeon and had to purposely avoid it so I could level the new character.

Coupled with the fact that I came in with a mostly new set of fusions and had So Adhesive 3 available for all party members it was pretty easy to progress compared to previous dungeons.

I took longer to finish the boss battle than I thought once I saw what was happening

The opposite happened to be. I found that palace hard at first because the Insta-kill through the first area triggered on everything but Girimehkala and Arahabaki, which really messed with me SP conservation (since you have to use SP and can't guard to restock SP due to Mudoon / Status effects). I had to wait until I got into the factory and found Belphegor to spend a battle restocking SP.

SlickVic

I only did 2 Mementos thus far (55 hours, palace 4 now), and the Moon confidant is at lvl 4 (and he was lvl 3 before I finished the second request, so I'm guessing the answer to your question is no), so I am not sure how it works exactly but I wouldn't worry greatly about it. Do it when you have at least 6 requests. Also be mindful of the Mementos farming.

Thanks I will ignore his texts for now until he fetches me some more requests

Finally got the platinum trophy for this game. I'm so glad I made multiple save files for every palace, cuz I would have had to do a 3rd playthrough just for the final trophy.

Top Bottom