• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

TrueBlue

Quoting myself from the waifu thread. November spoilers - do not read if you haven't finished Palace 6.

That info dump was exhausting, though I liked how the plan came together - I can't tell if I think it was needlessly convoluted or brilliant.

Also LOL at your bond with Akechi increasing while he's in the process of trying to kill you. I hope that was done on purpose for some levity, because I cracked a grin in disbelief.

mrmickfran

*Everybody who's related to the victims of the change of heart starts hanging out with each other*

"Omg, how did they find us out"

*Everybody who's related to the victims of the change of heart starts hanging out with each other*

"Omg, how did they find us out"

"Hey guys we need a super secret hideout to discuss our thieving plans"
*picks busiest public area in Tokyo to talk loudly about Phantom Thieves*

Laplasakos

Hi Gaf, new member here! I just started playing Persona 5 and i am having a blast but i would like to ask some questions.

- Can someone explain me the fusions? I went through the tutorial but it seems so hard to understand (first time playing a Persona game). The thing tha my bonds with other people can influence the fusions makes it harder.

-How often new conversations pop up in school, train station etc.? I like to take my time with every game, searching every bit and talk to all people and unless i don't remember correctly during rainy days there is different dialogue compared to sunny days.

-Can i platinum the game in one playthrough? Is the platinum trophy hard?

-Are there different endings? If yes, does each ending depends on my choices since the begging of the game or there is only one crucial moment that can change the ending?

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you all! I will definitely post my impressions when i get deeper into the game.

Are the restrictions on itemizing Personas based on real-time on in-game time?

In game time, same with Network fusion. The real limit on Itemization in a single playthrough is probably the items though, it's a fairly limited supply per playthrough unless you want to grind Mementos chests. Apart from cards, you'll drown in cards. I swear the Reaper spends your grace period floating around Mementos floors filling chests with blank cards.

Hi Gaf, new member here! I just started playing Persona 5 and i am having a blast but i would like to ask some questions.

- Can someone explain me the fusions? I went through the tutorial but it seems so hard to understand (first time playing a Persona game). The thing tha my bonds with other people can influence the fusions makes it harder.

-How often new conversations pop up in school, train station etc.? I like to take my time with every game, searching every bit and talk to all people and unless i don't remember correctly during rainy days there is different dialogue compared to sunny days.

-Can i platinum the game in one playthrough? Is the platinum trophy hard?

-Are there different endings? If yes, does each ending depends on my choices since the begging of the game or there is only one crucial moment that can change the ending?

Thanks in advance and nice to meet you all! I will definitely post my impressions when i get deeper into the game.

Welcome!

Fusions: For just starting out, you don't need to think too hard about how this works. It's basically, take two personas, mush 'em together, get a new one. There are two ways to fuse personas at the start: you can either pick the two personas to fuse (choose one, and a list of potential results will show up indicating what second persona will lead to what result), or use the Fuse by Result option to pick the persona you want to create, letting the game choose the two ingredients automatically. The system is much deeper than this if you care to dig into it (i.e. you can predict to an extent which persona you'll get based on the arcana and levels of your ingredient personas, there's a chart that explains this) but for now, you don't need to worry about it.

Regarding your bonds with other characters, this affects fusion in two ways. First, there are ultimate personas for each arcana they are unlocked by taking a confidant to max rank. You don't need to worry about this yet, but it's something to think about as you decide which people to hang out with. Second, as you rank up confidants, you'll get an "arcana burst" for every persona you fuse of that arcana. This is extra experience you earn on that persona immediately after fusing it, which means you can unlock later skills for that persona early. Generally you want to take advantage of this as much as you can, but if you see a particularly strong persona you want to make and you get a low or zero arcana boost for fusing it, it's not really a big deal since you'll probably be using that persona a lot and can earn experience the normal way for it.

Conversations: For random NPCs in the world, I think generally they change about once per palace. One exception is if a character has a Mementos request associated with them, in which case their dialogue can also change after you fulfill that request. This doesn't include your party members and other confidants, of course, who talk to you a lot more often and can actually hang out with you.

Platinum: You'll need two playthroughs, one normal and one in new game plus. Three trophies cannot be earned in your first playthrough, though in theory you could earn those trophies very early in NG+. Earning all the other trophies in your first playthrough requires a fair amount of smart time management, and if it's your first time playing Persona chances are you won't be that smart. Consensus is generally to just enjoy yourself and not worry about guides if you're dead set on a NG+ playthrough; play the game as it was intended once, then minmax like hell for your second playthrough. I wouldn't call the Platinum hard, exactly, but it can be very time consuming just because the game is so long.

Endings: There are multiple endings. There are a few places where they branch. The obvious place is if you fail to infiltrate a palace by the deadline. There are also certain parts of the story that can knock you into a bad ending, but these parts are pretty obviously marked and the "right" decision pretty easy to figure out. Also, Persona is very much a game where there is a single right ending and many wrong ones, as opposed to some other games where many different endings are equally good.

Good luck, and enjoy the game!

Laplasakos

Welcome!

Fusions: For just starting out, you don't need to think too hard about how this works. It's basically, take two personas, mush 'em together, get a new one. There are two ways to fuse personas at the start: you can either pick the two personas to fuse (choose one, and a list of potential results will show up indicating what second persona will lead to what result), or use the Fuse by Result option to pick the persona you want to create, letting the game choose the two ingredients automatically. The system is much deeper than this if you care to dig into it (i.e. you can predict to an extent which persona you'll get based on the arcana and levels of your ingredient personas, there's a chart that explains this) but for now, you don't need to worry about it.

Regarding your bonds with other characters, this affects fusion in two ways. First, there are ultimate personas for each arcana they are unlocked by taking a confidant to max rank. You don't need to worry about this yet, but it's something to think about as you decide which people to hang out with. Second, as you rank up confidants, you'll get an "arcana burst" for every persona you fuse of that arcana. This is extra experience you earn on that persona immediately after fusing it, which means you can unlock later skills for that persona early. Generally you want to take advantage of this as much as you can, but if you see a particularly strong persona you want to make and you get a low or zero arcana boost for fusing it, it's not really a big deal since you'll probably be using that persona a lot and can earn experience the normal way for it.

Conversations: For random NPCs in the world, I think generally they change about once per palace. One exception is if a character has a Mementos request associated with them, in which case their dialogue can also change after you fulfill that request. This doesn't include your party members and other confidants, of course, who talk to you a lot more often and can actually hang out with you.

Platinum: You'll need two playthroughs, one normal and one in new game plus. Three trophies cannot be earned in your first playthrough, though in theory you could earn those trophies very early in NG+. Earning all the other trophies in your first playthrough requires a fair amount of smart time management, and if it's your first time playing Persona chances are you won't be that smart. Consensus is generally to just enjoy yourself and not worry about guides if you're dead set on a NG+ playthrough; play the game as it was intended once, then minmax like hell for your second playthrough. I wouldn't call the Platinum hard, exactly, but it can be very time consuming just because the game is so long.

Endings: There are multiple endings. There are a few places where they branch. The obvious place is if you fail to infiltrate a palace by the deadline. There are also certain parts of the story that can knock you into a bad ending, but these parts are pretty obviously marked and the "right" decision pretty easy to figure out. Also, Persona is very much a game where there is a single right ending and many wrong ones, as opposed to some other games where many different endings are equally good.

Good luck, and enjoy the game!

Thanks for the answers! The fusion concept is more clear to me now. It was making me a little anxious because i hate missing important parts of the gameplay early. I imagined that the platinum would require more than one playthrough but that's ok. I will try to enjoy the game without looking any guides for trophies and if i like it so much in the end, i will return for NG+.

It took me
155 hours
to finish the game.

I've head of others finishing in 80, and if they aren't using a guide, i just don't see how that's possible?

I mean im generally a slow gamer, i like to see and do everything, but i haven't heard of anyone else taking as long as me.

It's even stranger because everyone is limited to the same amount of in-game time.

As a bit of background i played on normal difficulty all the way, i did all the mementos quests i could find, got about 65% of the trophies, i didn't die all that much and had a damn blast all the way through. It was amazing.

I was just curious how long it took everyone to go through (only interested if you didn't use a guide).

bunkitz

yeah just make sure you rego them if they have cool new abilities first

money ain't no thang eventually

Just pay it up, the money you start earning later in Mementos and the palaces will more than cover the costs before long.

Yes. If you want money, have personas inherit Confuse skills as often as often as possible during fusion. Confuse an enemy (most Mementos mini-bosses are susceptible!), and intentionally prolong the fight as long as possible to get tons of money and recovery items.

You also get a discount for summoning as you complete 25%, 50%, etc. of the compendium, so even that becomes pretty trivial later on.

Cool. Thanks for the tip, guys! Went ahead and summoned my Cerberus, Bugs, Seth, and Byakko. Pretty sure the total was at least 100,000 Yen, but I do actually have loads of cash. I guess it was just that case of not wanting to spend your cash in case you end up needing it later. Pretty dumb, but yeah.

---

Anyway, Palace 7. Only just now finally realizing how awesome of a party member Haru is. Triple Down, people. Triple fucking Down. Pretty much kill all the shadows I've been coming up against. Only just got One-Shot Kill, though, but I already knew how useful it was thanks to Seth.

Damn shame I forgot to have my fortune read for money, though...

It took me
155 hours
to finish the game.

I've head of others finishing in 80, and if they aren't using a guide, i just don't see how that's possible?

I mean im generally a slow gamer, i like to see and do everything, but i haven't heard of anyone else taking as long as me.

It's even stranger because everyone is limited to the same amount of in-game time.

As a bit of background i played on normal difficulty all the way, i did all the mementos quests i could find, got about 65% of the trophies, i didn't die all that much and had a damn blast all the way through. It was amazing.

I was just curious how long it took everyone to go through (only interested if you didn't use a guide).

Using guides for the social aspect but not dungeons will generally take longer not shorter unless you skip through cutscenes, because you'll get more of the longer S-link events in a single run through. You'll also probably have to spend more time in Mementos due to requests and probably longer in early dungeons because you need to push through the SP exhaustion at the end. Especially since the best time management guide at the moment is pretty inefficient, after Fortune is unlocked and you could probably shave even more off by using some games / books to polish off stat training so you'll have to do some adaptation if you take advantage of that stuff.

FHIZ

Okay, how am I supposed to catch early treasure demons in NG+? I came across the first one in the second dungeon which I didn't get the first time around. Used an attack that was its weakness, and murdered it instantly... That's a problem.

EDIT: Morgana and lucky punch saved the day. Forgot about that one.

TheFatMan

I think I'm about to start the 7th palace and I will be honest. I'm ready for the game to be over. I've really enjoyed it so far and its one of the better games I've played but after 80 hours I am just burnt out.

But I also want to finish it haha.

bunkitz

Quick question, what carries over to New Game Plus?

110 hours and counting and I still want more of this game. Badly. Whew.

FHIZ

Quick question, what carries over to New Game Plus?

110 hours and counting and I still want more of this game. Badly. Whew.

Weapons, armor, accessories, items you get for maxing out confidants (helps you boost them in NG+ and gets you abilities quicker), Persona compendium, social stat progress, money. I think thats it.

bunkitz

Weapons, armor, accessories, items you get for maxing out confidants (helps you boost them in NG+ and gets you abilities quicker), Persona compendium, social stat progress, money. I think thats it.

Cool, thanks! Will I be able to use the high level Personas I have in my compendium? Since, I assume, I'll be back to level 1. And what do you mean by items from maxing out confidants, though? I've maxed out about five now but I don't recall receiving anything?

Or is this
something I'll get near the end of the game from said confidants?

Bladenic

Final Mementos request done and about 85% compendium done too. Now to go to Dec. 24th. Palace 7 boss was cool but because I did the reaper thing three times I felt overleveled. Plus Debilititate + Auto-Taru + various degrees of Concentrate Ann, Charge Ryuji, Heat Risen Haru, and the others jumping in when necessary = lol

Just finished my JP version run. Game was exceptional. I'd say the ending song was the weakest out of P3 and 4 but I gotta give it a few more listens.

I took 162 hours. Now finishing up my US version. Just got past Palace 2.

This game was incredible. I think there's quite a few things I missed since i'm not fluent in JP yet so I have to finish the US version to see what I missed.

Even still with that being said, P5>P4>>>>P3 for me. I loved 4 but 5 just was better in almost every way. 3 had an incredible ending but the bulk of the game leading up to that wasn't very good imo.

Lunar15

I think I'm about to start the 7th palace and I will be honest. I'm ready for the game to be over. I've really enjoyed it so far and its one of the better games I've played but after 80 hours I am just burnt out.

Palace 7 is pretty long.

Hold on to your boots. I was never burnt out playing this. Just take your time. Maybe you need some sleep.

I need two treasure demons to complete the compendium but they refuse to spawn. Bastards.

If you're talking about Hope Diamond and Crystal Skull you need to beat the 7th palace first. Also make sure to use a treasure trap and escape from battle if the treasure demon isn't the one you want.

FHIZ

Cool, thanks! Will I be able to use the high level Personas I have in my compendium? Since, I assume, I'll be back to level 1. And what do you mean by items from maxing out confidants, though? I've maxed out about five now but I don't recall receiving anything?

Or is this
something I'll get near the end of the game from said confidants?

You'll be able to summon whatever Personas you have in the compendium for a price like normal. You will not be able to fuse Personas at a higher level than you unless you maxed out the Strength arcana. And confidant items do come at the end when you are given the opportunity to talk to each of them.

If you're talking about Hope Diamond and Crystal Skull you need to beat the 7th palace first. Also make sure to use a treasure trap and escape from battle if the treasure demon isn't the one you want.
I know. I actually ran into a hope diamond yesterday and accidentally one shotted it with Morgana. Haven't spawned since and all I get are emperor's Amulets.

Astral

I was looking st my trophies and I apparently missed a Mementos quest. How the fuck? Are some of them missable? I even did the flower shop, convenience store, and bar ones. The last one I did was a rank S quest about some dude
fucking idols

I know. I actually ran into a hope diamond yesterday and accidentally one shotted it with Morgana. Haven't spawned since and all I get are emperor's Amulets.

If you have a decent level for Shinya's confidant you can use down shot (triangle) to make it much easier since it won't damage them and automatically downs it.

Anyone else feel like the game could've ended after the
7th
palace?

Everything after is like....yeah it might be SMT fare but it was really unnecessary in this case.

I was looking st my trophies and I apparently missed a Mementos quest. How the fuck? Are some of them missable? I even did the flower shop, convenience store, and bar ones. The last one I did was a rank S quest about some dude
fucking idols

Same thing happened to me. You probably missed a text from Mishima detailing a request and now it's gone cuz you've gotten 50+ more message.

Jachaos

It took me
155 hours
to finish the game.

Took me 90. Didn't use a guide. I didn't complete all of the Confidants nor did I do all of the Mementos requests, probably was 80% of the way through on both of those. Didn't really grind for money, only used one SP Adhesive 3 item. Got to the final boss with every single one of my party members at Level 70 through natural playstyle (I liked having everyone involved and it was also useful to have all these choices late to spread SP usage around and cover weaknesses). Fused new Persona when I increased my levels a bit but didn't really make specific builds or delved deep into completing the compendium yet. Read the dialogue but didn't speak to many NPCs. Didn't grab the juice every Sunday (kinda regret that). After a while I skipped some of the daily text messages near a deadline of "Oh my are we going to be fine?" "Yeah it'll be okay we did the same as usual". I really don't see how I would add 65 hours of playtime honestly.

It took me
155 hours
to finish the game.

I did it in 90 hours. Maxed confidants for all of the party members (except Haru) and a few other characters. Didn't grind or complete all requests. I knew from the beginning I'd be doing a NG+ file, so I wasn't worried about doing everything this time around. I think I probably could have cleared it in 85 hours if I hadn't spent so much time fusing. No guide, but I may have asked questions here at some point!

I had SP Adhesive 3 for all party members, so I was able to clear every dungeon in the shortest time possible. My party was a little over level 70 at the final boss.

Did you play on Hard? I definitely would have been slower if I'd bumped up the difficulty. Normal's pretty easy, though.

No guide 76 hours. On December 23rd

Someone or something assisted you along the way and you're covering for them. Tell me!
GTmqcfSs.png

Seriously though, the game is just too long winded so pardon my skepticism.

cj_iwakura

I'm past 100 after Palace 5. I also echo sentiments that the game is starting to drag, and I really feel it lost a sense of urgency after
Palace 3. There's no longer any THREAT, just 'hey let's help this guy out!'. Of course that could change, but P5 hit the ground running then stumbled real fast.

I'm having fun solving the Strength requests on my own. I usually find a Persona that has the skill, use the grid to fuse it into a result needed for the recipe that has the skill, then profit.

Like if a recipe needs Lovers/Fool/Moon, I find a Chariot that has the skill, and find the Arcana that will make it into a Lovers, then go up or down in level accordingly.

Lunar15

I'm past 100 after Palace 5. I also echo sentiments that the game is starting to drag, and I really feel it lost a sense of urgency after
Palace 3. There's no longer any THREAT, just 'hey let's help this guy out!'. Of course that could change, but P5 hit the ground running then stumbled real fast.

That's the low point of the game, for me. It's a little aimless and unfocused. Everything after 5 has been great, though. I've throughly enjoyed it.

Platypus

Anyone else feel like the game could've ended after the
7th
palace?

Everything after is like....yeah it might be SMT fare but it was really unnecessary in this case.

The stuff afterwards is pretty important from a thematic standpoint. Like had the game ended at the point you mention it would have felt kinda empty.

Top Bottom