• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

daveo42

Banned
Here's a tip: Regularly rotate party members, and be sure to talk to Rise with every costume combination available

It nearly guarantees that you'll get it

I never had an issue with that trophy. Actually got the Rise trophy well before
Adachi's
dungeon mainly because I leveled up everyone equally and ended with my entire team maxed at 99 by the last dungeon. I'd be going back for max confidants/book/fish run.

Yep, her SLink story was pretty weak and cliche.

I don't really know what I expected coming from it once it went so far, but somehow I was still just let done.

One a side note, can almost not even force myself to do anything with Yusuke. Completely uninterested.

Damn it Sandman I've spent 600 000 yen turning you into a little god of status infliction, learn Ailment Boost from White Rider's sacrifice damn it.

I don't really know what I expected coming from it once it went so far, but somehow I was still just let done.

I expected something a lot more mellow, even sombre from her, given how much presence she held in all her opening scenes during the Kamoshida story, she had an air of seriousness that went beyond Chie, or the cliche mannerisms of Yukari and Mitsuru. Her scene in the diner with you, alongside the suicide attempt next day were both heavy tone setters. She was so far removed from a jokey villain, and even being captured didn't feel like a damsel situation, like say Yukiko. And her being the one to ultimately pass judgement on Kamoshida seemed so fitting since she gave off an air of strength, confidence and surety.

To go from that, to
'Imma try being a villain -> cakes -> I dunno -> Model showdown'
was so disheartening.

Chris R

In the middle of the 2nd dungeon right now... wishing I had spent more time boosting my social stats so I could hang out with certain people :(

I expected something a lot more mellow, even sombre from her, given how much presence she held in all her opening scenes during the Kamoshida story, she had an air of seriousness that went beyond Chie, or the cliche mannerisms of Yukari and Mitsuru. Her scene in the diner with you, alongside the suicide attempt next day were both heavy tone setters. She was so far removed from a jokey villain, and even being captured didn't feel like a damsel situation, like say Yukiko. And her being the one to ultimately pass judgement on Kamoshida seemed so fitting since she gave off an air of strength, confidence and surety.

To go from that, to
'Imma try being a villain -> cakes -> I dunno -> Model showdown'
was so disheartening.

Wow, seeing you actually put it into words actually made it a lot more clear. The fact that it all ends in just a
Zoolander style model off
while she sites her friend as her strength is really just hilariously dumb.

I think I regret it even more now.

Wow, seeing you actually put it into words actually made it a lot more clear. The fact that it all ends in just a
Zoolander style model off
while she sites her friend as her strength is really just hilariously dumb.

I think I regret it even more now.

It's only a bit worse than Makoto's
bodyguarding fiasco while she babysits her friend
for the entirety of her link.

LiK

One a side note, can almost not even force myself to do anything with Yusuke. Completely uninterested.

Aw, give that man some love. He needs it.

why is MC wearing the school uniform before he even arrives to Sojiro's cafe on 4/9!??!

I'd have said it was simply for conveniences sake, like with Yu and Makoto being uniformed from the start, but since the game makes you unpack your own attire, and then change again into loungewear it did seem pointless.

If I had to take a stab, since they clearly took a bit of time getting the uniform design to that level of style, I think they just wanted as much animated screen time being divided between that suit, and the Phantom Thieves one.

Chris R

2nd dungeon, you've got tons of time left dude don't worry.

I just don't see how I'll have time to max all the social links at this rate :( I just feel like I should have at least used a simple calendar guide or something to maximize my enjoyment.

I just don't see how I'll have time to max all the social links at this rate :( I just feel like I should have at least used a simple calendar guide or something to maximize my enjoyment.

A lot of the Confidants, particularly the evening ones unload a lot of social stats with each rank, so just by going through them you're killing two birds with one stone. My rule has always been, if anyone can rank up their Confidant level with you, do it. The game gives you plenty of time.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Youre not even 25% done dude. Just play the game.

Gbraga

One thing I thought was a bit of a missed opportunity, but not really the game's fault for not going that route, so it's just me saying random things:

Post Palace 4 Spoilers

When Sojiro said that Wakaba commited suicide, I thought it was very heavy, and bold of them to go that route. But I was surprised while I kept playing at how decently they were handling that. Already hoping they wouldn't change Futaba's heart, but she would end up coming to terms with it by herself.

I wouldn't change a thing about her remembering that her mother loved her, of course, and I don't think she should continue to blame herself for it, but the whole thing being a setup... I don't know, not a big fan. It makes sense for the story, especially when it comes to connecting the Phantom Thieves to the whole mental breakdown main plot, but I can't help but feel like it would be incredible to have this kind of character arc in the game, it could be valuable for people who went through something similar, and I can't think of any other example. Instead, they just made her death a plot point. Especially considering how Hashino said multiple times in interviews about hoping to help people who feel stuck in their current lives with this game. So far, I don't really think it has that much to say on that subject at all.

Quonny

September spoilers:

wtf
ryuji

I mean, I was still okay with you when you were mean to Morgana in the hideout. But in the Mementos, when all you had to say was 'sorry', you were still a total prick.

come on man, i had your back, now im just shakin mah head

Lunar15

One thing I thought was a bit of a missed opportunity, but not really the game's fault for not going that route, so it's just me saying random things:

Post Palace 4 Spoilers

When Sojiro said that Wakaba commited suicide, I thought it was very heavy, and bold of them to go that route. But I was surprised while I kept playing at how decently they were handling that. Already hoping they wouldn't change Futaba's heart, but she would end up coming to terms with it by herself.

I wouldn't change a thing about her remembering that her mother loved her, of course, and I don't think she should continue to blame herself for it, but the whole thing being a setup... I don't know, not a big fan. It makes sense for the story, especially when it comes to connecting the Phantom Thieves to the whole mental breakdown main plot, but I can't help but feel like it would be incredible to have this kind of character arc in the game, it could be valuable for people who went through something similar, and I can't think of any other example. Instead, they just made her death a plot point. Especially considering how Hashino said multiple times in interviews about hoping to help people who feel stuck in their current lives with this game. So far, I don't really think it has that much to say on that subject at all.

The game has been 100% about that. You had two kids in an abusive situation with their school staff, one kid who was being taken advantage of for his art skills. All of the confidants are being kept in a bad place, and even the main character himself is put into probation by a system that refuses to believe he was doing the right thing.

P5 is a game about people becoming complacent with eroding, archaic systems and putting their hope in people who won't do anything to help them, rather than learning to help themselves. It's a post-bubble economy parable. It's about people who no longer have the will to move forward, even though they need to take action about the things around them. Even the fourth palace encompasses this perfectly, given that it's dealing with a shut-in.

The game has been 100% about that. You had two kids in an abusive situation with their school staff, one kid who was being taken advantage of for his art skills. All of the confidants are being kept in a bad place, and even the main character himself is put into probation by a system that refuses to believe he was doing the right thing.

Yeah, it's primarily about being in a bad place because of the abuse of authority / societal apathy (primarily about abuse of authority) not being in a bad place due to personal reasons.

Overall plot / thematic spoilers.

This is why Yoshida and Shido are given dramatically different moral shading despite saying the same thing for most of the game with respect to everything but the phantom thieves. Shido is playing a role and in it for himself , whike Yoshida is entirely genuine about his desire for positive reform (it also serves to avoid accidentally making the message that people shouldn't want change and should be happy with whatever the political establishment says because they have power, which would be sort of awkward given the second theme). Positions of authority should be treated with the respect they are owed by their holders and they should have respect for the society that bestows such upon them.

Lunar15

I'd spoil that paragraph.

It's not just about external factors though. It's also about the internal reasons why people don't push themselves forward despite being living in bad conditions. Palace 4 was a good example of this.

Does it always hit the mark? No, it doesn't. But it hits enough that I like the overall theme this game conveys.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
September spoilers:

wtf
ryuji

I mean, I was still okay with you when you were mean to Morgana in the hideout. But in the Mementos, when all you had to say was 'sorry', you were still a total prick.

That ones all on Mona. Total dick to Ryuji all the time but throws a temper tantrum if he says something back.

daveo42

Banned
September spoilers:

wtf
ryuji

They both act like children most of the time which doesn't help the situation.

jrcbandit

What social links are still advisable to do in New Game Plus since I have all the bonus
farewell
gifts? It seems like I'd still need to do Star to get the good abilities for that social link and I'll still do the party members to get their combat bonuses (except I'm stopping Ryuji at rank 6 since the Rank 7 ability is super annoying). Anything else or do the gifts have me covered? I think maybe Temperance depending if it is only level 10 ability that is unlocked or if it is all of them?

Gbraga

P5 is a game about people becoming complacent with eroding, archaic systems and putting their hope in people who won't do anything to help them, rather than learning to help themselves. It's a post-bubble economy parable. It's about people who no longer have the will to move forward, even though they need to take action about the things around them. Even the fourth palace encompasses this perfectly, given that it's dealing with a shut-in.

Maybe I had the wrong expectations, but I don't know. Most of my fears when they revealed the whole rebellious thing are being confirmed to far, and when Hashino promised it would be subverted, it made me more hopeful. But I'm still waiting on that.

You're right that it has been about that for the characters, but Hashino said that when referring to the current society, and a feeling shared by many people. I'm feeling like they're only working for very specific examples, and the solution hasn't been that clever.

I remember someone posting that the game just doesn't have writing on the quality it needs for this story, and so far I have to agree, unfortunately.

Opa-Pa

When Hashino started babbling about the whole rebellious theme in the game I simply ignored it and assumed the idea would be severely limited by Hashino (?) and P Studio's writers' clear immaturity and disconnect with social issues and actual oppression, so I wasn't too disappointed with the final product. It even managed to surprise me at times, which was nice, to be fair.

I remember someone posting that the game just doesn't have writing on the quality it needs for this story, and so far I have to agree, unfortunately.

I 100% agree with this sentiment.

Lunar15

Maybe I had the wrong expectations, but I don't know. Most of my fears when they revealed the whole rebellious thing are being confirmed to far, and when Hashino promised it would be subverted, it made me more hopeful. But I'm still waiting on that.

You're right that it has been about that for the characters, but Hashino said that when referring to the current society, and a feeling shared by many people. I'm feeling like they're only working for very specific examples, and the solution hasn't been that clever.

I'm not sure what you mean by him saying it was going to be subverted? The game is definitely about rebellious teens, and never wavers from that concept from beginning to end.

Like with P4 and P3, the concepts are more in underlying subtext: Neither you nor I are pupils of world renouned artists that are being kept in a shack and forced to create the art that he takes credit for. But the growing idea of people being tired of the situation they're stuck in and deciding to do something about it is ever present: from the almost scarily accurate social media meter to the smaller character moments that you have in confidants.

If you're looking for concepts about society as a whole, well, keep playing is all I can say. I agree that there's probably better ways to say what it's saying and the writing definitely doesn't consistently hold up to scrutiny. But the themes Hashino mentioned are all there, unabashedly so. Hashino's games aren't subtle, P5 is probably the least subtle of all of them, particularly near the end.

Gbraga

I'm not sure what you mean by him saying it was going to be subverted? The game is definitely about rebellious teens, and never wavers from that concept from beginning to end.

Like with P4 and P3, the concepts are more in underlying subtext: Neither you nor I are pupils of world renouned artists that are being kept in a shack and forced to create the art that he takes credit for. But the growing idea of people being tired of the situation they're stuck in and deciding to do something about it is ever present: from the almost scarily accurate social media meter to the smaller character moments that you have in confidants.

If you're looking for concepts about society as a whole, well, keep playing is all I can say. I agree that there's probably better ways to say what it's saying and the writing definitely doesn't consistently hold up to scrutiny. But the themes Hashino mentioned are all there, unabashedly so. Hashino's games aren't subtle, P5 is probably the least subtle of all of them, particularly near the end.

I completely agree they're not subtle, but to me that only works against it. Especially here.

I thought the added P4G optional not-in-game-but-built-with-game-assets lesson on Collective Unconscious was cool as hell, Morgana straight up bringing that shit up multiple times without going into any depth whatsoever, just name dropping? Not so much.

Guess Who

Banned

If you're thinking something like
all the Phantom Thieves are doing is taking out individual villains, and the solution every time is just "take their heart" which doesn't really apply in the real world
, then all I will say is that
the game will address this.

PSqueak

Banned
September spoilers:

wtf
ryuji

Come on!

Morgana is a bigger dick to Ryuji the entire game, mocks him even on battle and wastes no chance on calling him stupid in any situation. It's not Ryuji's fault that Morgana was feeling insecure due to Futaba Joining the team.

In fact
Ryuji
gets a lot of undeserved flak from the other characters, like after the 7th palace where
the girls beat him up for daring to have survived the ordeal, the crime being making them cry because they thought he had died.
That was completely uncalled for.

Guess Who

Banned
rCWLYwl.gif

Top Bottom