• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
In Palace 7 on NG+, almost got the Platinum. I think this will be my first non-Telltale Platinum? Really love this game.

I was tempted to get the Platinum in P4G, but Hardcore Risette Fan and having to use a guide for the Social Links sunk that idea.

Really happy I can max confidants without using a guide in this one, and Passionate Listener popped on my first playthrough.

If you know what you're doing (having matching arcana, avoiding bad answers) you can do all links in P4G without a guide. I did on my NG+, as well as getting the book trophy.

It was tight but I got it done off my own back.

LiK

shit, I give up on trying to follow the Confidant guide on GameFAQs. I am totally ahead of it and just doing my own thing during it. It's stil useful for Mementos Requests so there's that.

Zafir

Yeah, I was in the first dungeon when it happened. Nothing detrimental, just funny that it happened lol
I think I was still occasionally doing it into the second or third dungeon.

It wasn't even just triangle for me either. Even in later dungeons I found myself pressing circle to guard and then wondering why am I not guarding.

200hours of muscle memory is hard to get rid of I guess, lol.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Beat it Saturday. 118 hours. Monday morning still thinking about it and having the soundtrack stuck in my head. I think P3 is still my favorite but this game is seriously incredible

Fireblend

Banned
About to reach Palace 5's "resolution". I'm feeling good about where I'm at with my confidant levels, but I still worry that I won't be able to finish them all since I'm not following any guide. Guess I'll just youtube the other scenes since I don't really feel like doing a NG run right after this one
gonna wait for a Switch announcement >_>

I actually think the story picked up after palace 4, and the way the fifth one ends is making me want to keep playing to find out how it's gonna go. I love that I avoided spoilers for this game.

LiK

This is one of the reasons why I like him and think he's such a sweet guy tbh.

He's misunderstood. He's dense and immature but he has heart. Learning about his background also made him a much more sympathetic character. But some people here hate him through the whole game. I liked him overall. Wish his SLink wasn't so damn easy to level up cuz I kinda ignored the later hangouts with him to try and max out my SLinks with other Confidants. Might be worth checking out in a third playthrough in the future.

12/19:
had confessed to Haru,
so when Ryuji asked if MC was interested in marriage and I said yes, her reacting was a nice touch. Wonder what would have happened if I hit on multiple girls.

Getting close to end game, not sure if I want to power through now, or let palace 7 soak a bit in my mind.

I didn't find the
rat
mazes as frustrating as some, but I took a (real life) day off in the middle of that dungeon so that probably helped. Actually, I think I did during every dungeon that people said were too long. Though that was a limiting factor of my free time, I can honestly say no dungeon felt out right bad... Except maybe the third.

daveo42

Banned
I want to plat P4G but that Rise trophy will drive me nuts.

I gave up early on. I kind of want to go back to it as well...but I don't have that much motivation to play through it again. It's real good, but the story beats in 5 blow 4's out of the water. I kind of want to play P5 again just for the story itself while I think I'm fine with not going back to 4's story again. Watching the Giant Bomb ER has helped with this as well.

Zafir

12/19:
had confessed to Haru,
so when Ryuji asked if MC was interested in marriage and I said yes, her reacting was a nice touch. Wonder what would have happened if I hit on multiple girls.

If you want to know -

They'll all respond. Which isn't suspicious at all!
I gave up early on. I kind of want to go back to it as well...but I don't have that much motivation to play through it again. It's real good, but the story beats in 5 blow 4's out of the water. I kind of want to play P5 again just for the story itself while I think I'm fine with not going back to 4's story again. Watching the Giant Bomb ER has helped with this as well.
Yeah that's what I said in another thread. I think Persona 4's story bits don't really hit as hard. In fact I don't think the story is where 4 shines in general, it's entirely on the characters. With that in mind I think the only hard hitting story beat ended up being what happens to
Nanako

Weebos

Banned
12/19:
had confessed to Haru,

Getting close to end game, not sure if I want to power through now, or let palace 7 soak a bit in my mind.

I didn't find the
rat
mazes as frustrating as some, but I took a (real life) day off in the middle of that dungeon so that probably helped. Actually, I think I did during every dungeon that people said were too long. Though that was a limiting factor of my free time, I can honestly say no dungeon felt out right bad... Except maybe the third.

Taking time off during the dungeons definitely helps. I'm in NG+ and they feel much better when you're not pulling marathon 8 hour sessions.

LiK

I might try again in the future but yea, the dungeon crawl is just mind numbing.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Weekly reminder that people who dislike Ryuji are the real assholes.

Also didn't even know that the Passionate Listener trophy was such an achievement. I casually got it on the first play through and thought it was some story based achievement. Got it after a boss.

daveo42

Banned
With that in mind I think the only hard hitting story beat ended up being what happens to
Nanako

With regard to the spoiler:
That was the only dungeon I did the first day it was available and cleared in a single day just because fuck anyone who would dare lay a finger on Nanako.

As for characters, I felt like 3 had more memorable characters than 4, but
Dojima and Nanako's arcs were stand outs for me.
I think 5's characters fall somewhere inbetween the two, with Death, Sun and Moon being the main standouts. I wish Hanged and Devil went a bit farther before they wrapped. Ryuji's was also pretty good too.

Bladenic

Ann's Confidant was honestly probably the worst of the playable characters, though frankly I didn't care for Makoto's that much either (didn't really like the direction it took with some random ass girl). Well actually Morgana's was the worst but that's what happens with auto links anyway. Haru's turned out pretty well, I actually quite like her now. Wish her VA was better though.

PK Gaming

I found Ann did more damage due to Fire Boost/Fire Amp personally, so I'd say she's probably the best assuming the boss doesn't resist/drain/reflect fire(I don't remember many that do on Normal...). :p

From my experience

Joker > Ann > Ryuji > Haru for total damage capability. Haru is aburdly strong thanks to snipe and cripple, but Charge gives Ryuji the edge. Ann takes it over Ryuji thanks to Fire Amp and Boost alongside Sever damage spell.

Makoto I think actually ends up falling above Yusuke and Morgana with best equipment. Atomic Flare is Severe damage, and Judge of the Dead is absurd and pushes her stats too high for Yusuke to keep up.

Discounting Joker, Ryuji has the highest damage output in the gmae with Charge!God Hand, followed by Ann with Concentrate!Blazing Hell, then Haru with Triple Down and finally Yusuke with Brave Blade. Makoto doesn't beat Yusuke's damage output, even with her post game equipment.

Some things to keep in mind:

• Physical attacks are so goddamn OP in this game (as usual).
  • Yusuke's double Brave Blade is around 30% weaker than Charge!Ryuji Godhand.
  • Stats don't have as big of an effect on damage as you'd might think. There's barely a difference between 45 Strength and 50 strength, for example.
  • Base damage on skills has a huge influence on damage. This is why skills like Atomic Flare and Blazing Hell suck (because their base damage isn't that high relative to the dyne variants) and why physical skills are absolutely ridiculous because of their ridiculously high base damage.

Zafir

With regard to the spoiler:
That was the only dungeon I did the first day it was available and cleared in a single day just because fuck anyone who would dare lay a finger on Nanako.

As for characters, I felt like 3 had more memorable characters than 4, but
Dojima and Nanako's arcs were stand outs for me.
I think 5's characters fall somewhere inbetween the two, with Death, Sun and Moon being the main standouts. I wish Hanged and Devil went a bit farther before they wrapped. Ryuji's was also pretty good too.

It's funny because individually I like the characters in 4 and 5 more. I don't like Aigis or Ken much, for example.

Yet I'd still put the Persona 3 cast on top because I think over all the game just handles them really well. They actually get time in the main story to grow, develop and talk with other characters besides the MC. I actually liked that most of them were indifferent or flat out disliked each other at the start, it was nice seeing them all grow into a team.

I think Persona 5 got closer to that feeling than 4 did, there was a few scenes here and there where other characters got to shine. That said it still very much suffers from the characters revolving around the MC a bit too much.
Discounting Joker, Ryuji has the highest damage output in the gmae with Charge!God Hand, followed by Ann with Concentrate!Blazing Hell, then Haru with Triple Down and finally Yusuke with Brave Blade. Makoto doesn't beat Yusuke's damage output, even with her post game equipment.

• Stats don't have as big of an effect on damage as you'd might think. There's barely a difference between 45 Strength and 50 strength, for example.
  • Base damage on skills has a huge influence on damage. This is why skills like Atomic Flare and Blazing Hell suck (because their base damage isn't that high relative to the dyne variants) and why physical skills are absolutely ridiculous because of their ridiculously high base damage.
I assume that must be with equipment gotten from sacrificing Personas?

Ann was doing the most damage for me with the equipment that could be bought from the TV/Laptop commodity shops and Iwai.

LiK

Considering what a blank slate the MC is usually, I'm surprised they don't bother with allowing both genders after P3P. Seems people have a better opinion of P3P specifically because of the female version. Hopefully P6 allows both.

PK Gaming

It's funny because individually I like the characters in 4 and 5 more. I don't like Aigis or Ken much, for example.

Yet I'd still put the Persona 3 cast on top because I think over all the game just handles them really well. They actually get time in the main story to grow, develop and talk with other characters besides the MC. I actually liked that most of them were indifferent or flat out disliked each other at the start, it was nice seeing them all grow into a team.

I think Persona 5 got closer to that feeling than 4 did, there was a few scenes here and there where other characters got to shine. That said it still very much suffers from the characters revolving around the MC a bit too much.

I assume that must be with equipment gotten from sacrificing Personas?

Ann was doing the most damage for me with the equipment that could be bought from the TV/Laptop commodity shops and Iwai.

Yes

Here are some damage demonstrations at level 99

Considering what a blank slate the MC is usually, I'm surprised they don't bother with allowing both genders after P3P. Seems people have a better opinion of P3P specifically because of the female version. Hopefully P6 allows both.

It's a lot of work, to be fair. Script, animation and confidant changes alone would double the workload. Then there's new music as well.

P3P was only feasible because of the original version of P3.

Zafir

I wish they'd make a version of Persona 3 Portable without the cuts. I've still yet to put much time into it just because I dislike all the sacrifices they made for it. =/

daveo42

Banned
The lack of FeMC mostly comes down to rewrites for social links/confidants as well as additional art, voice actors and adjusted story arcs. While it should be something added into future games, it also takes up additional time and resources the team probably doesn't have.

I agree overall on how the main cast is handled and how you grow together as a team in 3 as opposed to 4 and 5. I also agree on the fact that other members do get their time to shine in 5 (outside of Haru who came in criminally late), it's more that I feel there were more stand out individual characters and arcs in 3 and 5 more so than 4. Maybe I need to actually replay 4 to validate my opinions, I'd just rather play something else at this point.

Also, no one likes Ken. Even Ken doesn't like Ken.

LiK

I wish they'd make a version of Persona 3 Portable without the cuts. I've still yet to put much time into it just because I dislike all the sacrifices they made for it. =/

I haven't played P3P yet because it's more of a VN without any of the fancy cutscenes etc. I'm still making my way through a LP of FES. Don't wanna slog through the dungeons in P3 again, lol. Looking forward to checking it out as female MC in the future.

Base damage on skills definitely matters, but stats seem to have a large effect. Either that or Atomic Flare has higher base damage than blazing hell. Makoto's damage for me on Hard on NG+ was close to Haru. 800 atomic flare while haru was doing 1k One Shot Kill. Meanwhile Ann was pumping 2500 with Blazing Hell with concentrate. Ryuji should be able to hit that number, but I didnt try it. Joker hits it brave blade and there is no +physical damage skill.

Haru's One Shot Kill was definitely doing a lot more than Brave Blade

Of course I hit 4800 with joker's Hassou Tobi, and 4500 with Shining Arrows. Shit shining arrows is almost as good as hassou tobi. If it was guaranteed 8 hits itd be on par with its better accuracy.

EDIT: Granted, Shining Arrows needs a ton of support skills, Bless Boost, Bless Amp, and Magic Ability. 4 spots on your persona, whereas Hassou Tobi just needs one. Can then Add shit like Apt Pupil

PK Gaming

Base damage on skills definitely matters, but stats seem to have a large effect. Either that or Atomic Flare has higher base damage than blazing hell. Makoto's damage for me on Hard on NG+ was close to Haru. 800 atomic flare while haru was doing 1k One Shot Kill. Meanwhile Ann was pumping 2500 with Blazing Hell with concentrate. Ryuji should be able to hit that number, but I didnt try it. Joker hits it brave blade and there is no +physical damage skill.

Haru's One Shot Kill was definitely doing a lot more than Brave Blade

Of course I hit 4800 with joker's Hassou Tobi, and 4500 with Shining Arrows. Shit shining arrows is almost as good as hassou tobi. If it was guaranteed 8 hits itd be on par with its better accuracy.

EDIT: Granted, Shining Arrows needs a ton of support skills, Bless Boost, Bless Amp, and Magic Ability. 4 spots on your persona, whereas Hassou Tobi just needs one. Can then Add shit like Apt Pupil

I'm going to extensively test it myself when I get the chance, but raw stats didn't make that huge of a difference for damage from what I could recall. And yeah, multi-hit skills like Hassou Tobi and Shining Arrows are beyond broken.

I'm going to extensively test it myself when I get the chance, but raw stats didn't make that huge of a difference for damage from what I could recall. And yeah, multi-hit skills like Hassou Tobi and Shining Arrows are beyond broken.
I would like to see some real calculable data. I used to do that shit with FFXI back in the day though, and I try not to spend too much time on it anymore.

I'm honestly trying to figure out why Makoto was hitting so hard for me in the final dungeon. Outside of the Judge of the Dead, I couldnt come up with an explanation, however I dont really want to spend much time on it.

Drop

Atomic flare probably has more base power than blazing hell.
I haven't tested it but if it's like in p3 and p4 single target spells tend to have higher base power than the multi target spell of the same tier.

McBryBry

12/19:
had confessed to Haru,

Nice! Didn't know this was dependent on that.
I romanced Ann and she had a small reaction to that, cool to see its based on that instead of just her talking.

Uh you're wrong. The voice overs are great infact some of them like Chihaya, Morgana, Ryuji, Kawakami and Futaba actually sound better in English.

If it's the script you have the issue with then that remains the same as you get the same subtitles even when playing in Japanese.

The Japanese could be terrible as well, I have no idea because I don't speak it.

I don't understand how anyone can think the English sounds good. It's horrendous. Every character except maybe Morgana I've heard in random videos sounds like they grabbed people off the streets and handed then pages to read.

There are no well known voice actors playing these parts. There are countless established actors who could have been used. They obviously didn't care or didn't have the money, so they went with the same level of voice actors that Japanese companies have used for games and anime for years.

Oh, I was watching a video on youtube for
the bad endings and came across the scene in English when Sai was asking about the other members of the group and saying their names. Get the fuck out of here with the voice acting being good. Did you hear how that woman was pronouncing their names? They couldn't even be bothered to get that right.

Zafir

The lack of FeMC mostly comes down to rewrites for social links/confidants as well as additional art, voice actors and adjusted story arcs. While it should be something added into future games, it also takes up additional time and resources the team probably doesn't have.

I agree overall on how the main cast is handled and how you grow together as a team in 3 as opposed to 4 and 5. I also agree on the fact that other members do get their time to shine in 5 (outside of Haru who came in criminally late), it's more that I feel there were more stand out individual characters and arcs in 3 and 5 more so than 4. Maybe I need to actually replay 4 to validate my opinions, I'd just rather play something else at this point.

Also, no one likes Ken. Even Ken doesn't like Ken.
I actually just replayed 4 - finally went through the golden re-release.

I think characters do have decent arcs, it's just in terms of the main story they're forgotten about after their corresponding dungeon in favour of "friendship" scenes as a group. The rest of it got shoved into social links, and if you finish the social link - the January scenes you get in golden.

Don't get me wrong I think a lot of the group scenes are great, and memorable, but it's missing a bit of variety in terms of tone. It's also weird how you never really see scenes where the MC isn't around. Which makes the characters seem like they revolve around the MC even more.

Bladenic

FB31121928675659C4AE224245C7AD44D34BE73B

Haru definitely had the best all out attack thing. Followed by Morgana. I have a soft spot for Ann when she says "A beautiful rose has thorns."

The Japanese could be terrible as well, I have no idea because I don't speak it.

I don't understand how anyone can think the English sounds good. It's horrendous. Every character except maybe Morgana I've heard in random videos sounds like they grabbed people off the streets and handed then pages to read.

There are no well known voice actors playing these parts. There are countless established actors who could have been used. They obviously didn't care or didn't have the money, so they went with the same level of voice actors that Japanese companies have used for games and anime for years.

Oh, I was watching a video on youtube for
the bad endings and came across the scene in English when Sai was asking about the other members of the group and saying their names. Get the fuck out of here with the voice acting being good. Did you hear how that woman was pronouncing their names? They couldn't even be bothered to get that right.

Lmao almost everyone is played by big VA names. And yes it's good.

Except for name pronunciations. That shit was all over the place.

Replaying the game, and I just reached the point where the game had played a nasty trick on me, and I'm here to share some advice. It involves not going to bed.

Late August (22 onwards) spoilers

So when you're training Futaba in the Futaba training week in late August, your mornings are gone and like any other plot day, you are dumped to your bedroom at evening and you'd expect not to have any freedom except going to bed. HOWEVER, it turns out this is quite possibly the only time in a plot related event day where you can actually go downstairs (the cat won't stop you) and do Social Links.

PSqueak

Banned
FB31121928675659C4AE224245C7AD44D34BE73B

Haru definitely had the best all out attack thing.

Im sorry but nothing can beat
Akechi's silly dance.

Finally beat the last boss of this, tho it was late so i havent played the actual epilogue.

Holy shit at
Igor's identity
before the last stretch, who could have known one of the things people complained about had a plot reason.

Bladenic

Im sorry but nothing can beat
Akechi's silly dance.

Finally beat the last boss of this, tho it was late so i havent played the actual epilogue.

Holy shit at
Igor's identity
before the last stretch, who could have known one of the things people complained about had a plot reason.

I excluded for plot reasons but yeah it's hilarious.

vypek

That's actually the finisher screen that I dislike the most. Actually I think its the only one that I don't like and want a desktop picture of.

zulux21

I wouldn't rule it out in the next few years for the switch, especially if sony doesn't announce another handheld this year or next.

there was 3 years between p3 and p3 portable (with fes inbetween)
and 4 years between p4 and p4g.

I could see atlus starting a release cycle of remakes. As they have already brought up remaking p1/2/3 in HD in surveys.

I could see them jumping right to 3 and redoing that one and potentially doing a release of that on the switch (though it could also be for ps4 or even both of them) targeting late next year or so.
and then mostly just port golden the next year with updated assets.
persona 5 crimson the year after that
and persona 6 the year after that on both switch and ps4.

likely with a number of spin offs littered around as well.

it would be a lot of persona, but it sounds like their plan is a ton of persona games the next few years.

Astral

Replaying the game, and I just reached the point where the game had played a nasty trick on me, and I'm here to share some advice. It involves not going to bed.

Late August (22 onwards) spoilers

So when you're training Futaba in the Futaba training week in late August, your mornings are gone and like any other plot day, you are dumped to your bedroom at evening and you'd expect not to have any freedom except going to bed. HOWEVER, it turns out this is quite possibly the only time in a plot related event day where you can actually go downstairs (the cat won't stop you) and do Social Links.

That's why I always check the network or press R1 to see if something other than the map pops up.

Neoweee

It's not just the fact that she's a female character, but they changed a bunch of music (generally for the better), had very good S. Links with the male party members (which weren't in the original), distributed the S. Links better between Night and Day to overcome some substantial balance and pacing issues, all on top of her having a nice personality.

Almost all of that is there only because they spent enough development effort to make it a major selling point of a port. If Atlus had done a female protagonist in the base P5 or in P6, they wouldn't have made half the S. Links completely different, or given her a bunch of alternate music, or addressed gameplay pacing/balance.

LiK

It's not just the fact that she's a female character, but they changed a bunch of music (generally for the better), had very good S. Links with the male party members (which weren't in the original), distributed the S. Links better between Night and Day to overcome some substantial balance and pacing issues, all on top of her having a nice personality.

Almost all of that is there only because they spent enough development effort to make it a major selling point of a port. If Atlus had done a female protagonist in the base P5 or in P6, they wouldn't have made half the S. Links completely different, or given her a bunch of alternate music, or addressed gameplay pacing/balance.

P5P for Switch!

PK Gaming

I want to plat P4G but that Rise trophy will drive me nuts.

Here's a tip: Regularly rotate party members, and be sure to talk to Rise with every costume combination available

It nearly guarantees that you'll get it

duckroll

Damn Palace 7 feels pretty epic. Slowly crawling through it. Sometimes literally crawling. :)

I'm pretty amazed at how fucking powerful I feel now with a bunch of Confidants maxed and most of the rest on the way to max. In particular it seems like there are bonus actions all over the place. The Tower's gun bonuses are pretty damn sick. Starting a battle with all the enemies at half health is ???????????.

I also managed to fuse Cybele easily thanks to the Emperor Talisman, and Itemized it immediately for Makoto's ultimate weapon. Now she has.... knife hands? Okay... lol.

Does this game have multiple endings like Persona 4 did? If so whats the choice I have to make to get the true ending? Om 40 hours in.....so please try not to spoil anything with your answer. Thanks

Top Bottom